• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, Rogues always having the answer can be maddening. I'm running two Blood Knights, but it almost never works as intended against Rogues.

The following has happened to me at least three times in the last couple of days since crafting my BKs:

I have the Coin against the rogue. I also have the Argent Squire and BK combo! Yes!

Turn 1 he passes, I drop Argent Squire.

Turn 2 he plays a small minion. I coin into a BK, so I now have a 1/1 and 6/6 on the field.

Turn 3 he Backstabs then Eviscerates my BK.

Alternate means, same end.

He has coin.

Turn 1 I Argent Squire. He coins into dagger, hits the Divine Shield off.

Turn 2 I play Redemption. He kills my AS, but it comes back -- complete with Shield. Everything according to plan!

Turn 3 I Blood Knight! ... until he Backstabs and Eviscerates it. GOD DAMN IT!

... :'( every time.

He can also sap it. Wasting eviscerate sucks for the rogue though. Heck he has to mulligan those cards in the first place or he's fucked. It shouldn't be maddening that a class has a counter to a gimmick.

FStop7

Banned
I didn't realize it worked that way.

Doing some research, apparently if you have no weapon and use Blade Flurry with a Spell Damage creature, it will do 1 damage. Crazy!

Or Blade Flurry with Malygos and no weapon and it's 5 damage.

Actually this can't be possible. Blade Flurry isn't playable unless you have a weapon active.

Does anyone here play ramp/watcher druid?

Im playing a ghetto version now without faceless, only 1 ancient (war), rag, ysera, geddon, cenarius...

Its doing ok but i find it lacks punch at the end and without faceless its hard to cope with handlock or rags.

Also im running low om health quick, no watchers means i only have 2 healing touches.

Any recommendations? I also have hogger who I dont use in this deck.

You don't need ancient watchers for a ramp deck because you don't have minions to provide taunt, and it's a waste to use the taunt spell on it. I only have one of each ancient and none of the core legendaries like cairne, sylvanas, or cenarius, but I've replaced those with more card draw. I added a gadgetzan and two twilight drakes because it's not reliable to only use nourish and ancients of lore for draw because nourish is so situational and you might need the ancients for healing (plus you get to draw so many cards with gadget + wild growth at 10 mana). Twilights are nice because you probably have a pretty full hand for the first 6 turns and if they bother using silences or hard removals on them it works in your favor. Black Knight is absolutely essential in this deck because when comboed with mark of the wild it's one of your only hard removals for stuff like yseras or archmage assfucks that can't be handled by BGH. Starfall is also pretty useful against zoo and shaman, so keep one in there.

Also, you might want to add sunwalkers to the deck to bait silences and removals before you play your big legendaries, and it plays to the deck's strengths. If you need burst then I guess a force of nature + savage roar is the way to go, but I don't think it's necessary for this deck. In my experience, ramp druid wins because the huge number of difficult-to-deal minions outnumber the opponent's removal options and eventually forces a ton of inefficient trades in the late game and lets you keep card advantage the whole time. If you're racing someone for damage and both of you are topdecking for burst then I think something went wrong in the early turns.

Kosma

Banned
Thanks for that write up. Arent you worried that those drakes are useless against shaman?

Cant wait to have 2 faceless in my deck. Black Knight wouldnt hurt either. Or sylvanas... Or a second sunwalker. Cairne.

God I have so far to go.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why the fuck would you complain about a Rogue blowing two of their best removal cards on a 3 drop?

Do you know how infuriating it is for the Rogue to have to waste his valuable resources like that? Both Tempo and Miracle are very fragile with regards to card advantage. The class's strength, until Gadgetzan comes online, lies in efficiency, not raw numbers, so they need to eke out every possible upside from every play. Against Miracle, you just turned back the clock by 4-5 damage from Eviscerate. Against Tempo, you've created space to play your X/2s like Knife Juggler, Dire Wolf Alpha, and Wild Pyromancer.

He can also sap it. Wasting eviscerate sucks for the rogue though. Heck he has to mulligan those cards in the first place or he's fucked. It shouldn't be maddening that a class has a counter to a gimmick.

1) I'm not saying it's OP or anything that they can counter it, just that it sucks when it does.

2) It's not really a "gimmick." It's using the card the way it was intended. In other words, define gimmick so that it doesn't include almost every card in the game with text.

Or Blade Flurry with Malygos and no weapon and it's 5 damage.

Actually this can't be possible. Blade Flurry isn't playable unless you have a weapon active.

I was at work when I looked that up, so I couldn't confirm it or anything. I just read it on the Blizz forums.

Maybe I'll try it quickly against the CPU to confirm right now!

Alrus

I've been playing a very ghetto zoolock deck (I'm missing a tons of cards) and it's been rather effective. I can understand why people find them not really fun though.

Why the fuck would you complain about a Rogue blowing two of their best removal cards on a 3 drop?

Do you know how infuriating it is for the Rogue to have to waste his valuable resources like that? Both Tempo and Miracle are very fragile with regards to card advantage. The class's strength, until Gadgetzan comes online, lies in efficiency, not raw numbers, so they need to eke out every possible upside from every play. Against Miracle, you just turned back the clock by 4-5 damage from Eviscerate. Against Tempo, you've created space to play your X/2s like Knife Juggler, Dire Wolf Alpha, and Wild Pyromancer.

Damn you get really angry whenever someone complains about rogue...

1) I'm not saying it's OP or anything that they can counter it, just that it sucks when it does Calm down.

2) It's not really a "gimmick." It's using the card the way it was intended. In other words, define gimmick so that it doesn't include almost every card in the game with text.

I was at work when I looked that up, so I couldn't confirm it or anything. I just read it on the Blizz forums.

Maybe I'll try it quickly against the CPU to confirm right now!

Nope, doesn't work. Someone on the Blizz forums was wrong!? Astonishing :)

Yeah, you really need to calm down. Sheeeesh. I'm not saying it's OP, just that it's disappointing.

You are really defensive about Rogue, man.

FStop7

Banned
Well, in fairness, Rogue works very well.

The classes in Hearthstone are similar to their respective classes in WoW.

Rogues in WoW were known for their ability to stun lock. It was the iconic rogue technique.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Stun_lock

That's pretty much what Miracle Rogue does.

I think it's kind of a brilliant translation of a classic WoW combat technique into card game form.

Haly

It's a nonsensical complaint. Why would anyone in their right mind complain about getting card advantage?

"Oh my god I'm not winning enough, how disappointing."

It's a nonsensical complaint. Why would anyone in their right mind complain about getting card advantage?

"Oh my god I'm not winning enough, how disappointing."

Because I didn't gain massive tempo advantage? It's a major downgrade in board position. I'm not saying that card advantage is bad or not worth anything, or that I didn't retain some tempo, but having a turn 2 6-6 removed is kind of a bummer, period.

To put it into perspective, if Warlocks had the Succubus buffed to be a 3-mana 6/6, would that card be trash or fucking amazing?

Card advantage isn't everything.

Edit: plus, it wasn't even really a "complaint" so much as a statement on my feelings when it happens. Again, it's not OP.

PLUS, it's not even that good of card advantage; it takes away my AS's shield (see: pretty much her whole value, esp. vs. Rogue with dagger ability) plus it takes a Redemption sometimes too, making it a three-for-two. Not that good of card advantage for me.

Again, it's a gamble and I admit it, but saying I'm disappointed when it's turned back isn't absurd or "nonsensical."

How do you think your opponents feel when you pull off Argent Squire -> Blood Knight with impunity?

Disappointed? I think that's understandable. Again, not saying it's OP that there's an answer, or that it needs to be changed. I honestly have no idea why you're so concerned that I feel a certain way when a potentially big play is countered.

scy

How do you think your opponents feel when you pull off Argent Squire -> Blood Knight with impunity?

"why are you even running this?!" salt, probably.

I feel like one side of this is more of a "my fun got ruined :(" and the other is "but you came out ahead." Let's meet in the middle and say fuck Warlocks.

I think that's the right class to pick on.

Haly

If every poster in this thread took the time to air their grievance every time they had a small disappointment despite coming out ahead, numerically, and being in a superior position, in terms of game state, this thread would be unreadable.

The fact that not everyone, at least since the Hunter nerf, does this doesn't excuse this kind of attitude.

I feel like one side of this is more of a "my fun got ruined :(" and the other is "but you came out ahead." Let's meet in the middle and say fuck Warlocks.

Agreed! I hate Handlock and Zoo, though my current deck is actually very competitive against the latter. Maybe I'll post it.

Yep. Warlocks are the new Huntard.

Takuhi

Noob here, and having trouble following some of the discussion I see about this game... Can someone tell me what a "Handlock" deck is? Or point to a wiki or something that explains the various deck types?

Card Boy

Banned
Noob here, and having trouble following some of the discussion I see about this game... Can someone tell me what a "Handlock" deck is? Or point to a wiki or something that explains the various deck types?

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/39696-legendary-handlock

Because you have big minions in your hand you can't play you will have lots of cards so cards like Twilight Drake, Mountain Giant and even Molten Giant get a much stronger effect.

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=26977/zoo

Spam the board with low cost cards that have synergy with each other and rush the enemy down.

arimanius

Noob question. I just had a warrior play brawl and I had three minions out and he had one. It killed all three of my minions. I thought it was suppose to keep a random one alive or does it count his one?

Alrus

I've been having this weird bug where when I want to shuffle a quest, clicking on the "x" does nothing then I can't do it again. Restarting the client restores the "x" but the same thing happens...

inky

It has been a terrible day, lol. Been bouncing back between ranks 8 and 10. Pretty much whenever I get a winning streak comes a Handlock and stops it, and then I fall into a losing streak.

2 arenas, first 5-3, second 3-3. The second run was kinda infuriating. 1st loss was to guy who managed to put a Thrallmar Farseer behind a 3-3 taunt by the third turn (I was Shaman, had my 2/3 weapon, a Yeti and a Blademaster and some other crap). Then next 2 turns he applies Blessing of Kings for a million damage face. Just think about that. First cards were: Argent Squire, 3/3 Taunt, 2 BoKs. Stupid. 10/11 creature with Windfury by turn 5, but I can't draw one of my 3 silences =(

Second loss was whatever. Third loss it was against the mage with the most ridiculous top decks I've seen. He top decked me 3 times in a row with no cards in hand. I always face people with at least 3 fireballs and when I draft Mage I get 0.

FStop7

Banned
I was literally just wondering to myself if there's room for Alexstrasza in a Warlock deck after someone above asked about Handlock. Then I just now turned on Trump's stream and he's playing lock and guess what's in his deck.

Water

Played some bad enough arena runs that I dropped to 140 gold and had to play constructed to get 10g. :-(
But I kept my faith and RNGeesus rewarded me with a beautiful midrange rogue deck. Went 3-0 already. More than a third of my deck is removal:
2x Backstab 1x Betrayal 2x Eviscerate 1x Shiv 1x SI7 Agent 1x Perdition's Blade 1x Assassin's Blade 2x Assassinate
And I guess 1x Mad Bomber and 1x MCT if you count those.
Nothing survives on the other side of the board, so I don't need a ton of minions of my own, just one more than the opponent has removal. I'll keep hitting the face for 1-5 per turn forever.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
T1: Coin + Lightwell
T2: Inner Fire

Every time I do that, it feels so dirty. It's almost impossible to respond in a couple turns unless you have an owl.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I was literally just wondering to myself if there's room for Alexstrasza in a Warlock deck after someone above asked about Handlock. Then I just now turned on Trump's stream and he's playing lock and guess what's in his deck.

He's not up on the frost elemental meta.

Alrus

Had a fight against a hunter who used Jenkins on turn 4, just to waste it on a Novice Engineer... Then the next turn he used unleash the hound when I had 2 minions on board.

Hadn't seen someone play that badly in a while.

jediyoshi

JsNsM6N.jpg

Finally got a golden hero. Now I can start playing the game

After playing mage a lot, I can see why pyroblast should probably be a little bit better than it is right now. It is such a terrible finisher vs most classes. Maybe it should stay 10 mana but the damage should be upped to 12. I dunno, just think that would make the class just a bit more viable.

Also, I am starting to think this miracle rogue crap is getting out of hand. By turn 6 I was at like 21-22 cards left and the rogue was at 6-8 cards left. Even UTH was never that annoying. They could change it so that 0 and/or 1 mana cards don't proc gadgetzan auctioneer but I doubt they'll do that.

Card Boy

Banned
After playing mage a lot, I can see why pyroblast should probably be a little bit better than it is right now. It is such a terrible finisher vs most classes. Maybe it should stay 10 mana but the damage should be upped to 12. I dunno, just think that would make the class just a bit more viable.

First we have people saying $90 worth of gold for PvE is fair and now we have people saying Pyroblast is underpowered.

no-hell-no.gif

my sarcasm meter is broken

First we have people saying $90 worth of gold for PvE is fair and now we have people saying Pyroblast is underpowered.

no-hell-no.gif

my sarcasm meter is broken

10 direct damage for 10 mana isn't fantastic in terms of burst combos in constructed, but it's still a godly card in arena because it requires no setup and no other cards. Compared to hunters doing consistent damage every turn or a miracle rogue doing 25 in a single turn, pyroblast isn't in the same league.

Mages can still do a ton of damage in a single turn with fireballs and other spells, and I'm way more scared of antonidus than pyroblast

Haly

Upping the damage wouldn't change much. It's a matter of speed. It's like how the Mind Control nerf sent Priests into the dumpsters.

10 mana is a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom