• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if you guys have seen those but they are pretty spot on :p
(I apologize if it's old)

GoT hearthstone cards.

Wow, those are pretty good.

Joffrey is hilarious:
VsGeS2d.png

Kosma

Banned
He played a Demolisher on turn 3, I played Rag.

He managed to kill it and my tazdingo by turn 5/6 with Equality/Consecration.

Mad props for not quitting!

He managed to survive till turn 11!

rTHHr3E.jpg

Szadek

He played a Demolisher on turn 3, I played Rag.

He managed to kill it and my tazdingo by turn 5/6 with Equality/Consecration.

Mad props for not quitting!

He managed to survive till turn 11!

rTHHr3E.jpg
That reminds me,one Priest once mindgamed my Cenarious in area on turn 4.Could have been worse,at least it wasn't my Ragnaros.

Anyway,Zoolock is so lame...that's why I play murloc rush down,that's something entirely different (totally).

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, why would you ever want to play that? I mean, 5/5 for 4 mana is great, but if you have anything else on the board it'll take it down with it. I'd rather take the 4/5 Yeti that can't backfire on you for the same cost. And if you want it to bounce something specific back to your hand, you'll have to set that up, which seems like a pain in the ass when there's Young Brewmaster for less mana or Shadowstep for 0 and a reduced play cost.

Not feeling it.

JesseZao

Lol, why would you ever want to play that? I mean, 5/5 for 4 mana is great, but if you have anything else on the board it'll take it down with it. I'd rather take the 4/5 Yeti that can't backfire on you for the same cost. And if you want it to bounce something specific back to your hand, you'll have to set that up, which seems like a pain in the ass when there's Young Brewmaster for less mana or Shadowstep for 0 and a reduced play cost.

Not feeling it.

It can be used to suicide, then return something to get the battlecry again, like si7. Wonder what order deathrattles go off if this thing kills Sylvanas.

That card is a bit.. bad, isn't it?
Friendly does refer to the person who controls Anu'Bar Ambusher doesn't it?

Someone please explain how it could be useful.

PsionBolt

So is this spider thing random without saying that it is? Otherwise it could require its controller to target something on the opponent's turn, which I don't think Hearthstone ever does.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
It can be used to suicide, then return something to get the battlecry again, like si7. Wonder what order deathrattles go off if this thing kills Sylvanas.
But it would require very specific set-up or a lot of mana, since it doesn't have charge and your opponent can just kill the minion you intend to bounce back before killing the spider. You could just play Shadowstep for 0 mana and get a 1 mana SI:7 in return that can be potentially redeployed with combo battlecry that same turn. Or you could combo SI:7, then Brewmaster to get him back and safe in your hand.

With this spider, you have to combo SI:7 (3+ mana), play spider (4 mana), end your turn, have the spider get killed before SI:7 to bounce it back and then combo SI:7 again (3+ mana). It's horribly inefficient compared to the current options and has the potential to backfire if you have more on the board than just the minion you want to bounce.

That card is a bit.. bad, isn't it?
Friendly does refer to the person who controls Anu'Bar Ambusher doesn't it?

Someone please explain how it could be useful.

Jesse's post above did a good job. It would also be interesting to see how it interacts with Sylvanis, ie: does it activate its deathrattle before or after her's? I know Harvest Golem and Cairne won't be stolen if you hit them into her.

scy

It has no text if you have no other minions for it to bounce, making it the best stat-cost 4cc minion in the game.

You play what you want to rebuy (e.g., Earthen Ring, SI7) when you're suiciding it if that's your goal with it.

It's a pretty beefy 4cc Miracle Rogue card, basically, where it's the only minion on board typically.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I think the card is worth experimenting with in tempo/value rogue. It lets you kind of control the order your opponent kills your minions in a different way than taunt does.

Imagine, for example, turn 4 this thing followed by turn 5 coin out an argent commander and pop the bubble to kill something. Normally an argent commander is easily dealt with at 2 health but now your opponent has to kill this 5 body minion first.

Or imagine dropping this thing and buffing it with defender of argus. You get a 6/6 taunt and if it dies you get your defender of argus back.

It's also just a better Yeti when played on an empty board.

It doesn't look as good to me as the warrior card, but I think it has potential. I definitely like it more than the paladin/druid cards.

edit: The simplest way to think about it is that the death rattle is clearly intended to be a drawback because the stats are too good for the cost. So any play that mitigates the death rattle means this was a strong play.

edit2: it's also the (only?) 4 drop that can kill a yeti and live to tell the tale.

But it would require very specific set-up or a lot of mana, since it doesn't have charge and your opponent can just kill the minion you intend to bounce back before killing the spider. You could just play Shadowstep for 0 mana and get a 1 mana SI:7 in return that can be potentially redeployed with combo battlecry that same turn. Or you could combo SI:7, then Brewmaster to get him back and safe in your hand.

With this spider, you have to combo SI:7 (3+ mana), play spider (4 mana), end your turn, have the spider get killed before SI:7 to bounce it back and then combo SI:7 again (3+ mana). It's horribly inefficient compared to the current options and has the potential to backfire if you have more on the board than just the minion you want to bounce.

Yes, but it also puts that 5-5 body onto the board as well in the earlier turn. It seems like it would need a lot of synergy to be completely effective, such as the aforementioned SI-7 Agent. However, if you have a couple of big minions on the board, it would also be good at recharging them.

Again, it's very situational. But I think it could find some uses.

Honestly, there are plenty of cards that look terrible at first but can end up being devastating. Two instances of this are pre-nerf Tinkmaster Overspark and Doomguard. Both of those cards were considered gimmicky and pretty trash until someone found their use and exploited it. In Tinkmaster's case, the card was so devastating that they nerfed it pretty much into oblivion; it used to be in nearly every non-Mage or Shaman deck. Yet last night was the first time I'd seen it played since very shortly after the nerf.

Special C

Still, playing that 5/5 on turn 4 pretty much ruins opponent playing Yeti on turn 4. You take out their Yeti and still have a 5/1 on the board.

scy

edit: The simplest way to think about it is that the death rattle is clearly intended to be a drawback because the stats are too good for the cost. So any play that mitigates the death rattle means this was a strong play.

Basically. It's supposed to net negative tempo due to the deathrattle but coming out on turn 3/4 means that this is going right into a turn where you can Combo out an SI:7 Agent to rebuy, for instance. Or you just don't have anything for it to bounce because you're Miracle Rogue and you're just using it as a body to play. It's just a solid minion for the cost. He's a smaller-than-average VanCleef with far less investment, for instance.

Of course, this is also a 5/5 so it dies to SW:Death so that may be relevant down the road.

So, is it a random friendly minion? Otherwise, this is again a card that requires the player to make an action while not on their turn (assuming the Ambusher dies due to something your opponent plays).

Special C

So, is it a random friendly minion? Otherwise, this is again a card that requires the player to make an action while not on their turn (assuming the Ambusher dies due to something your opponent plays).

It pretty much has to be random, because if it isn't and it dies on Opponent turn that would require interaction on an opponents turn.

I can see that 5/5 being great to negate silences. Of course I can't really think of much for that right now, but just an idea. We have no clue how the meta will change.

Edit : Thinking about it a bit more, it can be used for lethal det up as well to. If it is the only minion on the board your side and you can suicide it, it's an extra shadow step.

Zeroth

I can see that 5/5 being great to negate silences. Of course I can't really think of much for that right now, but just an idea. We have no clue how the meta will change.

Edit : Thinking about it a bit more, it can be used for lethal det up as well to. If it is the only minion on the board your side and you can suicide it, it's an extra shadow step.

I'm pretty sure the deathrattle effect happens after the card is removed from the field, so it wouldn't be able to put itself back in your hand.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
That card is great. Not sure why some of you think otherwise. I guess once the pros start using it, everyone will start saying how great and amazing it is. Kinda how nearly half the cards in the deck from "meh" to "awesome".

inky

5/5 for 4 is enough to make it a menace. Rogue combos means that smart players will know when to play it to their benefit, just like they know when to put a 12/12 Van Cleef on the board or just a 6/6.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Seems more tempo rogue than miracle. I don't see any room for a 4 mana non charging body. The deck list as is is pretty tight.

It is like a tempo card that can lose you tempo when it dies.

I was really hoping for a weapon though, oh well.

Kinda boring card imo. Maybe it'll be decent. It could replace yeti I suppose. I dunno, just doesn't get me excited.

I'm pretty sure the deathrattle effect happens after the card is removed from the field, so it wouldn't be able to put itself back in your hand.

I meant another creature. So say you have a charger in your hand. You play the charger, hit the face, then trade your 5/5 into something that kills it. The charger goes back into your hand to be played again.

Of course, when I made that post, I forgot Shadow Step removes two cost, so it'll probably be rarely used like that.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Slightly more nuanced opinion;

4 Mana for a 5/5 is amazing and can be massive if you get it out early. 5 attack does make it vulnerable to Shadow Word: Death though. This would be great in a deck that generally doesn't have (many) minions on the board, but the deathrattle makes this card not very viable for minion-heavy decks. Using this card for specific plays, like bouncing a minion back to your hand for a battlecry, healing or protection is potentially interesting but also not very viable since it requires multi-turn set-ups and/or high mana to pull of, and since Ambusher doesn't have charge, the intended play is further delayed and can be countered by the enemy in the turn after playing Ambusher by, for example, killing the minion you intend to bounce.

The stats are great and make it a great card in certain decks, but I don't think the deathrattle is very usable outside of some specific hit-or-miss plays or gimmicks and it has the potential to backfire. Stats = better Yeti, deathrattle = delayed and randomized Sap targeting friendly minions.

Perhaps fun to run one in Miracle Rogue, but it would suck to get it in your hand when you have Gadgetzan on the board or a buffed VanCleef/Questing Adventurer, or a Loot Hoarder/Thalnos/whatever minion you have for card-draw from which you want a card as quickly as possible. It's a great card due to it's stats, but I wouldn't use it specifically to utilize his deathrattle.

Haly

I'll say this much. It's infinitely better than kidnapper.

Dat feel when Hearthstone game lasts half-an-hour because the other player keeps drawing out their turns, you're down to 1 health and you topdeck Leeroy to win.

This game man, this game.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
But is it better than the mighty Millhouse Manastorm?

I would have been excited for this card if it was Shaman with Deathrattle: Overload (2). I hope they'll make something like that.

scy

Seems more tempo rogue than miracle. I don't see any room for a 4 mana non charging body. The deck list as is is pretty tight.

I'd contemplate it over VC as an on-the-cheap option for the slot.

Edit: Though not sure I'd contemplate it over Mana Addict there and just changing the direction of the deck.

hohohohoho

Haly

I'd contemplate it over VC as an on-the-cheap option for the slot.

I'd prefer Questing Adventurer but if someone is too poverty to afford even that then I guess its a good option.

Although I'd shy away from Miracle if I was so poverty.

scy

I'd prefer Questing Adventurer but if someone is too poverty to afford even that then I guess its a good option.

Although I'd shy away from Miracle if I was so poverty.

I actually forgot Questing (and Mana Addict, actually) when I made the post.

I agree it's more Tempo Rogue based but I was playing Miracle this morning so it was the easier on-hand example. Just a deck that can benefit from minion rebuys (ERF, SI7) and tends to not have anything on board to bounce anyway.

Haly

Problem is it's never "still out".

That 3 health too heavy. It doesn't work so well with Conceal either, because its attack gain is only temporary.

In fact, Conceal is awkward with a lot of Rogue cards, most notably VanCleef. The same is true of Master of Disguise. You want to play cards before VanCleef, not after.

I had this idea to make Master a more worthwhile card if it gave one minion to either side of it permanent Stealth, or gave Stealth randomly to your minions, because at the moment it's just a bad Yeti.

Triz

lore walker Cho on my board I drop fire elemental. Priest next turn shadow word deaths fire elemental and drops rag. does he not realize he just gave me the shadow word death to kill his rag? GG priest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom