• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aylinato

I seem to be unable to get past rank 14. However I destroy people below that rank.

I wish I was better at making choices/trading

Minsc

Gold Member
ffs, 94?

This is what I get for not doing it the first week.

How does it work again that the legendary ranking system actually discourages people from playing once they hit legendary? Seems so backwards that simply by making legendary first you get better rankings than someone who is constantly winning matches after having reached legendary.

llamarawk

So my friend has a hunter burn deck, but he doesnt like buzzard/timber wolf. I'm trying to convince him to add buzzards at least cause he doesnt have card draw but he considers buzzard a control/too slow a card for him. What can I say to convince him to give buzzard a shot cause I don't think it would slow down his deck that much?

scy

For fucks sake! Tripple Flamestrike + tripple Fireball?
Yeah, Mage is the weakest class right now. Tell me about it...

Constructed differs greatly from Arena. Arena Mage does so well due to their basic cards across the board being so good and the generic Arena plan of value being Mage's strong point. They're the "ideal" for Arena.

I think a lot of people possibly lie about rank since there is no way to see it beyond being friends with them.

This reminds me, now that we're in the official release, shouldn't we have a list for tags and such?

Grats.

Showoff :p

;___;

How does it work again that the legendary ranking system actually discourages people from playing once they hit legendary? Seems so backwards that simply by making legendary first you get better rankings than someone who is constantly winning matches after having reached legendary.

It really needs some form of decay due to inactivity. Especially since the numbers within the ladder only really matter for e-peen purposes, having inactivity lose you ranks (but keep you in Legend) shouldn't really be an issue.

That said, you gain ranks fairly fast at the high values. Like, I went to 74 after one more win so it's hilariously unstable.

So my friend has a hunter burn deck, but he doesnt like buzzard/timber wolf. I'm trying to convince him to add buzzards at least cause he doesnt have card draw but he considers buzzard a control/too slow a card for him. What can I say to convince him to give buzzard a shot cause I don't think it would slow down his deck that much?

Hunter burn is a Combo deck and Buzzard gives the potential for the card draw to get the pieces they need. It's what lets them get away with playing so many burn cards as they can Buzzard + Unleash to refill their hand to draw into the cards they need; Hunter, as an aggro deck, is really all about getting the cards to get their win as there's very little to stop them with a perfect draw short of just having more HP than they do damage.

As for Timber Wolf, it's usually at least +2 damage or the equivalent of an Arcane Shot and more often +3 or +4 damage. That's ridiculously good value for a single mana.

I think there is merit to the system. If you grind out earlier you face harder competition getting to legendary.

Plus if you hit a high legend rank early it doesn't mean people will not surpass you in ELO so you tend to decay naturally (your rank, not your hidden ELO) as people pass you in ELO rating.

So if you get 90s on week 2, maybe you would still be 90s week two if you initially got a higher ranking on week 1. It is just your ranking relative to everyone else, not exactly as crystal clear as it would be in sc2 where you see your actual ELO (IIRC it has been a while).

If they change it so you can see your ELO at legendary, people will complain less I think because you can see how you rise and fall more precisely.

Aylinato

If anyone is interested, I have finalized one of my Rogue techs.

Rush to Legends
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/38522-rush-to-legends

Legendary spamming deck. It's surprisingly deceptive and it has been surprisingly consistent too.

If you have (most of) the cards, I suggest giving it try. It's kinda crazy how good it outcontrols control decks.

I'd love to spam legendaries. However I only have hogger

Which I got twice. Dusted the 2nd one

ShinNL

I'd love to spam legendaries. However I only have hogger

Which I got twice. Dusted the 2nd one
I know that feeling. For the longest of time I only had Cairne, Malygos and Grommash (2 of them being from my initial 40 pack purchase). After that it went downhill with a long drought of nothingness, then Millhouse, then 2nd Cairne, then 2nd Millhouse.

I then started to disenchant lots of rares and epics and even Grommash so I could have some of the must haves. So far I made Ragnaros, Sylvanas, Ysera, Black Knight all manually. I was basically convinced the game would never give me anything so I was forced to do something like that.

Then the patch hit and I got 2 Legendaries on the first day of the patch. Golden Hogger and Gruul. Crazy. I just stared at my screen in disbelief.

Do I recommend mass disenchanting? I'd say yes, because if I didn't do that I would've quit the game with the zero progress I was having. If you enjoy control, having your own Legendaries is so much more fun than just trying to survive against it.

manfestival

Watched it. Enjoyed the priest deck

Same here, I ended up being inspired and tried my own. Granted I dont have nearly as many nice cards as he does. I did use my tinkmaster dust to make a ysera. Which I was actually able to use my 1 alarm o bot to get onto the board. Ended up winning a super close game vs a hunter where he kept spelling me for 2 damage of my 3 health.

llamarawk

So I understand you can't trigger your own secrets now? Redemption fucked me when i ran a Sunwalker into a fire ele to kill him. Oh well, live and learn.

scy

I think there is merit to the system. If you grind out earlier you face harder competition getting to legendary.

We'll see how it goes for the first real season but it really seems like most the streamers and such didn't really do much at the start of these last two seasons.

Plus if you hit a high legend rank early it doesn't mean people will not surpass you in ELO so you tend to decay naturally (your rank, not your hidden ELO) as people pass you in ELO rating.

While that's true, part of the problem is how unstable the ladder seems to be. Like, if you get into Legendary off a big win streak and place abnormally high, you're better off sitting on it instead of losing potentially ~20-30 ranks in a single game. Basically, you're betting on people not winning to overtake your Elo since it's a safer bet than betting on winning consistently yourself to raise your rank. It's harder to move up than it is to move down, though I suppose that's as it should be.

It could just use some kind of decay to at least force a few games played, though maybe the best thing would just be to show us our ratings at that point to see why winning one game was so much. Like I said earlier, I went Rank 94 -> 74 in one win. I wouldn't be surprised to drop to 100+ if I lost a game. It's a little weird.

Copenap

I'm surprised TotalBiscuit gets matched to players that are using decks as poor as that (the rogue deck played against at the time mentioned seems like straight from bootcamp bad), does he lose a ton of casual matches to tank his rating or something?
Isn't he just straight up terrible at Hearthstone?

I'm surprised TotalBiscuit gets matched to players that are using decks as poor as that (the rogue deck played against at the time mentioned seems like straight from bootcamp bad), does he lose a ton of casual matches to tank his rating or something?

he likely doesn't play enough to have a really good MMR. and I get the impression that the casual matchmaker prioritizes queue time over rating similarity.

manfestival

correction, going fully RNG IS the most fun I've had in this game. Literally had one of the most amazing games ever. I had ysera in hand. I thoughtstealed a ysera. Play mine. He plays his. I mind control his. Then he mind controls mine and destroys mine. I play my other ysera. It was complete and utter madness and I won. Thank you for the most fun game ever totalbiscuit

Opened a golden Leeroy Jenkins yesterday. So tempting to dust it for another legend, but at the same time it's pretty nice looking.

Aylinato

correction, going fully RNG IS the most fun I've had in this game. Literally had one of the most amazing games ever. I had ysera in hand. I thoughtstealed a ysera. Play mine. He plays his. I mind control his. Then he mind controls mine and destroys mine. I play my other ysera. It was complete and utter madness and I won. Thank you for the most fun game ever totalbiscuit

If I had the cards I'd do it hands down

Uthred

Is waiting till the time runs out some kind of shit tier tactic in ranked? Played against three guys in a row who did it

FStop7

Banned
I had two Northshire Clerics out, my opponent was a Shaman who was playing a bunch of zero damage totems. He's try to give them damage buffs and I'd keep killing the card that was giving the buffs and knock a point or two off of the rest of his minions. One of his totems was +1 heal at the end of each turn. I was drawing like 6 cards at the end of each turn and ran out way too soon, ended up taking 15 penalty damage and nearly lost the game.

Is waiting till the time runs out some kind of shit tier tactic in ranked? Played against three guys in a row who did it

People who do this are fucking assholes.

Palehorse

I had a guy do that to me once...I thought he'd disconnected or something as it was near the end of the game and he'd been on the ball. He timed out and I got a full turn to attack with my minions and thought I had it in the bag as I had board control...and then he came back, wiped my board and hit me in the face with a big spell. (5 points)

I lost.

I think he decided it would be funny to let me think I'd won it and then turn the tables and finish me off with him at 3 points health.

We'll see how it goes for the first real season but it really seems like most the streamers and such didn't really do much at the start of these last two seasons.

While that's true, part of the problem is how unstable the ladder seems to be. Like, if you get into Legendary off a big win streak and place abnormally high, you're better off sitting on it instead of losing potentially ~20-30 ranks in a single game. Basically, you're betting on people not winning to overtake your Elo since it's a safer bet than betting on winning consistently yourself to raise your rank. It's harder to move up than it is to move down, though I suppose that's as it should be.

It could just use some kind of decay to at least force a few games played, though maybe the best thing would just be to show us our ratings at that point to see why winning one game was so much. Like I said earlier, I went Rank 94 -> 74 in one win. I wouldn't be surprised to drop to 100+ if I lost a game. It's a little weird.

I think some decay would be fine. You can sit on your ELO pretty well at the top since you have to go on crazy winstreaks to break into the top 5-10 spots and they can just sit there doing little.

I definitely think they should show ELO, even if you are not legendary.

scy

Keep in mind that you can disconnect and come back to games now. I've DC'd a few games and come back before my turn ended. You have no indication on your end that the opponent dc'd.

I think some decay would be fine. You can sit on your ELO pretty well at the top since you have to go on crazy winstreaks to break into the top 5-10 spots and they can just sit there doing little.

I definitely think they should show ELO, even if you are not legendary.

I'd like the numbers if only so I can see if it really works the way it seems: You lose more MMR from a loss than you get from winning.

Aylinato

So I lose more mmr from that one lose? Well that explains when I get on a good streak face a really good player then lose and face someone who..well sucks.

scy

One loss won't overwrite a bunch of wins. It's a super small sample size but so far every loss I've had has been >20 rank demotion in Legendary while every win has been <=20 up. There's a lot of factors (e.g., who's the favored MMR in the match-up, for instance) so it could just be coincidence that most of those games were vs lower MMR players.

Also, that's for Legendary. Casual has large +/- swings as well. I'd assume that current Rank takes a little more priority for lower ranks rather than purely MMR calculations since you could theoretically win streak 25 to 10 with practically zero losses but you'll still be constrained within a certain rank range for match-ups. Then again, I guess the same applies for Legendary but it just gets treated as "Rank 0" for the +/- range.

How does the newb MMR start? Do I start at the bottom, or do I have to lose a few first. I refuse to spend money on packs so I know I am going to be at a disadvantage for a while.

manfestival

If I had the cards I'd do it hands down
I dont exactly have amazing cards or remotely close to the same caliber of deck as biscuit. I also used random cards in place of the ones I dont have but have a RNG type of ability
Yup. It's the only reason I've ever considered throwing $500 at the game. Won't do it, but if I did, it'd entirely be just to dick around with fun decks.
I got super lucky and got tinkmaster overspark as my one and only legendary since the game went to open beta. I scrapped it for ysera and I absolutely love the card now. Plus I also have 1 alarm bot and etc

scy

Presumably the game starts you at whatever MMR it dictates is "average" and lets you go from there. That said, card collection won't matter in the long-term. Like, it's still a case of not screwing up the play. Just because someone has access to all the cards doesn't necessarily mean they'll outright win. If one of those players is legitimately stuck at a low rank, it's entirely due to mistakes in the play (or if you're really wary, intentionally tanking to get easier opponents for dailies).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom