• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pringles

I'd love a taunt card that can't be targeted by spells. Preferably with 5+ health. I think that is like the missing piece to my Shaman deck, otherwise I love it.

scy

You always need to draft for the early game in arenas. Quality 2 drops win games. If you spend your turn 2 hero powering you already lost unless your opponent also does.

On the other hand, you don't need to overdraft 2-drops either. Just enough to be consistent to get at least one in your top 7/8 as needed.

Or you go all-in on the early game plan and hope to be winning by so much early-to-mid game that it doesn't matter.

Which is a clear indicative what's wrong about the game. We need stronger control cards. (for other classes than Mage obviously)

We'll never really get permission gameplay so it's pretty much just spot removal and big creatures for Control. In Arena, it's just not consistent enough to get there outside of a few classes.

I'd love a taunt card that can't be targeted by spells. Preferably with 5+ health. I think that is like the missing piece to my Shaman deck, otherwise I love it.

I think literally everyone would love a Taunt that had to die to a minion / Battlecry. Which is all the more reason that it would either never happen or would be an X/3 or X/4 at best while also being overpriced :x

I wish 2 drops were stickier. There is nothing like harvest golem in 2 drops. The closest would be a 2/3 or faerie dragon. But both just get removed either way. I guess defias ringleader is the best 2 drop but also the most annoying to use on turn 2. He is almost impossible to get a turn 2 combo with him.

I have been thinking about just removing my 2 drops (other than thalnos) and using bluegill warrior 2/1 charge, instead. Early game they get immediate face damage value. Late game they can be combo'd with cold blood when sometimes cold blood is a dead card since I can't even get a minion to survive a round anyway. Bluegill is also like a cheap removal spell. The mana to damage ratio is adequate on its own. Turn 5 combo with si7 agent. Seems not bad tbh.

More like you can't guarantee to get those cards in arena since it's random draft, so you value cards differently.

Even then, it's not particularly hard to draw control in arena, you just have to pick the right class for it. Warrior, priest, and mage make for really good arena control classes. If you build around control, you seem to do really well against the current "to your face" meta in arena.

The same arena decks a month ago wouldn't have gotten me to 3 wins, now I'm consistently getting 6-8 wins. It's actually worth my time to play arena right now.

Alrus

Any decent cheap paladin deck? I have 2 paladin quests and I realized I never really played a paladin before and I have no idea how to go about it.

scy

I wish 2 drops were stickier. There is nothing like harvest golem in 2 drops. The closest would be a 2/3 or faerie dragon. But both just get removed either way.

The horror that would be a 2cc Harvest Golem into a Harvest Golem into a Yeti. It would pretty much make the early game a nightmare. 2cc minions trading for each other (and all the damage-based spot removal) is pretty much an intentional design decision to allow flexibility in deck design.

That said, I'm still expecting a usable 2cc Deathrattle minion (besides the Egg) out of Naxx. I don't think we necessarily need to improve the lifespan of 2cc minions but find ways to get more value out of the slot come later in the game.

Tacitus_

Even then, it's not particularly hard to draw control in arena, you just have to pick the right class for it. Warrior, priest, and mage make for really good arena control classes. If you build around control, you seem to do really well against the current "to your face" meta in arena.

The same arena decks a month ago wouldn't have gotten me to 3 wins, now I'm consistently getting 6-8 wins. It's actually worth my time to play arena right now.

Sure, but RNG is gonna RNG. I've drafted three paladin decks this week and only gotten a single concentration >_>

Vio-Lence

Banned
Sunfury protector is the best 2 drop imo, its a river croc that can taunt. I never feel bad playing it on curve and provides value later.

Tacitus_

Sunfury protector is the best 2 drop imo, its a river croc that can taunt. I never feel bad playing it on curve and provides value later.

The paladin one that gives a divine shield is huge as well, coin a 2 drop and put bop into it and you're set for a while.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This game is giving me the c-disease. I can feel it creeping up behind my asshole.

johnsmith

remember me
The problem with 2/3s is they die to 3/3s for free and can't trade up to 4/3s. I don't mind taking them since most have solid abilities, but river crocolisk sucks, while bloodfen raptor is definitely playable.

Minsc

Gold Member
That said, I'm still expecting a usable 2cc Deathrattle minion (besides the Egg) out of Naxx. I don't think we necessarily need to improve the lifespan of 2cc minions but find ways to get more value out of the slot come later in the game.

Like Ooze/BGH (okay BGH is 3cc, but I am pointing out the kind of unbalanced ability you're targeting, where when you can use it, it pays off in spades)? Basically more extremely conditional cards that have wild swing factors?

People would love a 2cc that removed all enemy secrets and got +2/+2 for each secret removed or something similar. Same for stealth, a 2/2 2cc that gets +3/+3 for each enemy minion with stealth (while also remove the stealth from them).

Maybe a 2cc that sets the opposing hero's armor value to 0, to hard counter control warrior.

zoukka

The problem with 2/3s is they die to 3/3s for free and can't trade up to 4/3s. I don't mind taking them since most have solid abilities, but river crocolisk sucks, while bloodfen raptor is definitely playable.

I thought like this before, but in HS the ass is what matters. Which is why a turd like Oasis Snapjaw cost/power ratio is a playable card unlike in any other CCG's.

johnsmith

remember me
I thought like this before, but in HS the ass is what matters. Which is why a turd like Oasis Snapjaw cost/power ratio is a playable card unlike in any other CCG's.

Everybody agrees health is more valuable than attack, but the 1 and 2 drops are the exception.

Tacitus_

Like Ooze/BGH (okay BGH is 3cc, but I am pointing out the kind of unbalanced ability you're targeting, where when you can use it, it pays off in spades)? Basically more extremely conditional cards that have wild swing factors?

People would love a 2cc that removed all enemy secrets and got +2/+2 for each secret removed or something similar. Same for stealth, a 2/2 2cc that gets +3/+3 for each enemy minion with stealth (while also remove the stealth from them).

Maybe a 2cc that sets the opposing hero's armor value to 0, to hard counter control warrior.

Those would be hilarious vs freeze mage and miracle rogue.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The paladin one that gives a divine shield is huge as well, coin a 2 drop and put bop into it and you're set for a while.

The problem with argent protector is that its a really shitty drop when naked. You have to have some other minion on the board for the value. So you can use him to make a trade in the mid or late game, but he's poor early on. Makes him better in arena than constructed.

johnsmith

remember me
Well no Hunter plays a Raptor, but everyone plays a Croc nowadays.

Because the croc can have its attack easily buffed to 3 so that it's relevant and can be turned into a yeti with taunt. If houndmaster, timberwolf, and Leokk didn't exist things would be different.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just got my quest. (Europe)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

You're mixed up right? Raptor is trash, croc is staple.

Special C

I've had good success with Paladin Aggro without a Leeroy and Avenging Wrath, I threw Mukla in there and an Argent Commander. Since then I've crafted Leeroy but have yet to play the deck again.

zoukka

Tilted like a boss. Maybe Naxx makes things better, if not then sucks because I thought this game could be something really special.

Yoshichan

Tilted like a boss. Maybe Naxx makes things better, if not then sucks because I thought this game could be something really special.
Bro. You US or EU?

Yoshichan

EU you don't remember the SC2 days when I still played that shitty game :D?
You say this game is bad and so is SC2... YET I DON'T HAVE YOU ON MY FRIENDSLIST? You're now officially my best bud so add me, buddy!

Yoshichan#2623

Violet_0

Banned
I wish 2 drops were stickier. There is nothing like harvest golem in 2 drops. The closest would be a 2/3 or faerie dragon. But both just get removed either way. I guess defias ringleader is the best 2 drop but also the most annoying to use on turn 2. He is almost impossible to get a turn 2 combo with him.

one of the new (not officially announced but pretty much confirmed, along with a few others) Naxx minions is a 2 mana 2/1 with deathrattle: summon two 1/1. Pretty much harvest golem's little brother

Yoshichan

one of the new (not officially announced but pretty much confirmed, along with a few others) Naxx minions is a 2 mana 2/1 with deathrattle: summon two 1/1. Pretty much harvest golem's little brother

Link to all the cards we know that we'll be able to use for constructed?

zoukka

I have not seen any confirmation or images for this beauty!

Xanathus

Man this is ridiculous, I start playing zoo with blood knights to counter all the zoo I'm facing and I start facing druids with tons of taunts. I switch to miracle and now I'm facing all the zoo.

pringles

I think literally everyone would love a Taunt that had to die to a minion / Battlecry. Which is all the more reason that it would either never happen or would be an X/3 or X/4 at best while also being overpriced :x
What if it can't attack or is 1-5??

Or a taunt that actually protects your face against spells?? I can't be the only one feeling like we need some cards that make spells a little bit less allmighty.

Violet_0

Banned
Link to all the cards we know that we'll be able to use for constructed?

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Curse_of_Naxxramas
and (leaked spoilers)
http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/hearthstone/460119-major-spoilers-naxx-5-new-cards-ui-with-pics
there were few more cards that were leaked in the Naxx writeup that I can't find now, one being the card I mentioned earlier and another one is the reward for completing the first wing
2/8 beast, 5 mana, legendary, kills creatures it damages
. Can't remember what the other do

Xanathus

Miracle is good against zoo imo. Favorable matchup if you mulligan for it.

Trump and Hafu say otherwise, and it seems to me that it comes down to whether or not you get your AOE spells in time. You also need Bloodmage or somehow have an Azure Drake not die. I used to have a Tazdingo in my deck instead of sinister strikes but it turns out that it's bad vs Miracle Rogues.

Aylinato

Well Ooze and BGH are pretty broken vs weapon heavy decks and control decks. 3cc for instant removal and a 4/2? 2cc for destroying a gorehowl or doomhammer and a 3/2 on the board?

There are only two oozes. There is Harrison jones and the pirate. So 3 weapon killers and 2 durability killers. Also if your deck is weapon heavy then you'd be fine because you would out-weapon them. Rogue has (counting deadly poison) 2+2+2=6, warrior can have 2+2+2+1+2(the spell weapon which can also give 1/1 to weapons) and +1 dmg/dur from green-skin so that's 9 weapons, 4 more than removals, shaman has only 2+2=4, paladin has 2+2+2+potentially 1 so 7 weapons, and hunter has 2+2=4 as well.

However taking away secrets while gaining 2/2 for each? Man that'd make those auto-include, and every zoo would have one.

Removing stealh isn't as bad because it's just meh in the first place.

Yoshichan

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Curse_of_Naxxramas
and (leaked spoilers)
http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/hearthstone/460119-major-spoilers-naxx-5-new-cards-ui-with-pics
there were few more cards that were leaked in the Naxx writeup that I can't find now, one being the card I mentioned earlier and another one is the reward for completing the first wing
2/8 beast, 5 mana, legendary, kills creatures it damages
. Can't remember what the other do
Wow... Naxx will change everything!

zoukka

I need to stop assuming a great deck has good chances at 7+ wins. It's just a fucking roll of the dice of who misses a 2-3 drop while opponent goes FACEBEASTMODE.

(still tilted as fuck)

Violet_0

Banned
Keep in mind these are 100% going to be boss only cards ala illidan from the opening quests.

if the card has a rarity (common, rare, epic, legendary) it's going to be playable

for example, Kel'Thuzad is a new playable card and Sir Zelick is boss-only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom