• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

Just finished my handlock deck and hit rank 4 easily against a druid. Yeah this deck is great, only major weakness is shaman and mage and hardly anyone plays those around rank 5 and below. Oh and I guess hunters but oddly the few I've seen seem to build their deck against zoo with explosive traps and pyromancer + arcane shot.

frequency

Reynad is saying he's going to stop playing Hearthstone until Naxx because he feels Hearthstone is now about draws and luck instead of skill.

Similar to what Gaara is saying in the video above.

He was playing Magic the Gathering Online instead of Hearthstone earlier apparently.

Boba2007

Let's be honest here, Hearthstone has always been this way. Before Miracle, Handlock, Zoo, ect. there was the Unleash the Hounds/Aggro hunter and Murlock decks. Before that, there was the other Unleash the Hounds deck that was a One Turn Kill (when it gave all beasts +2 attack and charge). There were also the One turn Kill Warrior decks with Warsung Commander (when it gave all minions charge) with Molten Giants and Pandas. Before that everyone was playing overpowered Mage decks. It's always been like this, and that's why I only really play Arena.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Reynad is saying he's going to stop playing Hearthstone until Naxx because he feels Hearthstone is now about draws and luck instead of skill.

Similar to what Gaara is saying in the video above.

He was playing Magic the Gathering Online instead of Hearthstone earlier apparently.

Nah he just got angry at a bad rogue draw. He said he's streaming HS tomorrow, just took a break from it today. Was nice seeing him play vintage but yo all dat dredge. I was laughin at all the people in chat who don't play mtg.

frequency

I agree. I think it's just that the current meta has been pretty consistent for a long time. The meta changed more constantly in the past, whether it's because a new deck came out or Blizzard nerfed something.

Reynad also said he thinks the decks are all "perfected" now. Probably because it's the same few decks always at the top.

Hearthstone just really needs new cards.

Edit:
Nah he just got angry at a bad rogue draw. He said he's streaming HS tomorrow, just took a break from it today. Was nice seeing him play vintage but yo all dat dredge. I was laughin at all the people in chat who don't play mtg.

Ah!
I don't actually watch Reynad. Just getting this from Reddit and thought it was interesting both him and Gaara are saying similar things at the same time.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Reynad actually did the same thing (stop playing HS and play another game) like last week.. and the week before.. I know, that's just Reynad, but obviously if you play the game as much as those people you get sick of the same cycle of stuff happening. Their only issue is the game is their income, otherwise I'm sure they'd just wait till Naxx and not bother.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yes! Opened up a pack and got Tirion Fordring. That'll be awesome for my Paladin deck. Plus I'm awfully close to being able to craft another legendary!

Yes! Opened up a pack and got Tirion Fordring. That'll be awesome for my Paladin deck. Plus I'm awfully close to being able to craft another legendary!

Only problem with Tirion is that he's prime Hex/Polymorph bait unless you bait it out with something like a Sunwalker earlier. Otherwise he's really fun.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Only problem with Tirion is that he's prime Hex/Polymorph bait unless you bait it out with something like a Sunwalker earlier. Otherwise he's really fun.

My Pally deck runs two sunwalkers and two guardian of kings. Generally try to bait those kinds of removals with those guys.

Although most mages don't seem to be running Polymorph in constructed right now. Aggro Mage and Freeze Mage are the two big Mage decks in the meta right now and neither runs polymorph.

The trick is actually against Druids running Keeper of the Grove. I have to try and put out some vunerable minions to bait those guys.

Tarazet

My Pally deck runs two sunwalkers and two guardian of kings. Generally try to bait those kinds of removals with those guys.

Although most mages don't seem to be running Polymorph in constructed right now. Aggro Mage and Freeze Mage are the two big Mage decks in the meta right now and neither runs polymorph.

The trick is actually against Druids running Keeper of the Grove. I have to try and put out some vunerable minions to bait those guys.

There's a Mage secret deck that I've seen several times in the past few days, and that one runs two Polymorphs. As much as people like to shit on Mage's secrets, they're pretty powerful and they have the tools to keep you from playing around them.

I tried to build an Ancient Warrior Watcher deck, along the lines of Handlock but using Rampage and two Spellbreakers. It still needs work to win games against the netdecks, but I think the idea has some promise. The problem I have is finding a good finishing combo that you can fish for, like Miracle Rogue or Handlock or Wombo Combo Shaman. It's very good at forcing my opponent to throw all their resources at it, but once they have, I have nothing left to finish the job.

Earlier in this thread, someone had one with Bloodsail Raiders. With an Arcanite Reaper in hand, you drop a Bloodsail, give it Charge, and Faceless for a total of 23 damage.. but that's 15 mana and requires 4 cards, 2 turns and an opponent who doesn't have an Ooze or Harrison Jones handy.

Leeroy + Inner Rage + Faceless is 16 damage for 9 mana and 3 cards, but they will both die to the whelps.

I think the best one may be Arcane Golem + Inner Rage + Rampage + Faceless is 18 damage for 10 mana. The upside here is the Golems will have 4 health. That makes them much harder to remove if their damage is not enough to finish the job.

It requires more cards, though, compared with Leeroy + Power Overwhelming + Faceless or Leeroy - double Shadowstep or Leeroy + Windfury + Rockbiter. So it requires a shell that's really good at card draw. Might need to go back to the old Control Warrior setup with the Goblin Auctioneers.

Pre

So I've unlocked everyone (Anduin is such a bitch to beat with the basic decks) and I'm trying to get the full basic decks with everyone. I understand how trading card games work, but it's still frustrating to realize how much time I'll have to put into grinding for cards unless I pony up and go on a pack-buying frenzy. I really like the Paladin but have next to no removal cards right now. It also seems like the Paladin basic deck is heavy on medium-to-high mana minions, which gets me in trouble in matches when the cards aren't falling quite right.

I have no experience with Magic, but a ton of my friends play, and from the way I've described it to them they say the game sounds like it has a lot of Magic mechanics in it. I might spend some time chatting them up and see if that'll help me become a better strategist.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Holy Bejesus! I finally got 12 wins in Arena! I've been playing since open beta and the highest I'd ever gotten previously was 9 wins and that was probably the first few weeks. I didn't think this deck would be the one from looking at it, but I'm just glad it finally happened. So happy!

28FPBiil.png

Spoils!

VBtbsgLl.png

I think the real problem with miracle rogue is preparation. Card is actually not good outside of being combo'd with auctioneer (imo). But when combo'd with preparation it gets pretty crazy good. I mean, you're cycling two cards... maybe even creating a card advantage if you shiv/fon, and getting powerful effects like sap or eviscerate for free in mana cost.

I think if something changes, they change auctioneer to trigger off spells that spend mana or at least have a base cost of greater than 1.

Zafir

Problem with all the decks relying on combos, it's mostly just delaying till they get it, which to me isn't that fun. At least zoo is over quick and things are happening. Mage is one of the worst offenders with their constant freezing and board clearing till they get their combo.

Nirvana

I think the real problem with miracle rogue is preparation. Card is actually not good outside of being combo'd with auctioneer (imo). But when combo'd with preparation it gets pretty crazy good. I mean, you're cycling two cards... maybe even creating a card advantage if you shiv/fon, and getting powerful effects like sap or eviscerate for free in mana cost.

I think if something changes, they change auctioneer to trigger off spells that spend mana or at least have a base cost of greater than 1.

Forsen said they needed to nerf either shadowstep or prep, rather than Leeroy, since changing Leeroy effects other classes a lot more than Miracle.

They could likely make the mana cost of either of those 1 rather than 0 and it would have a big impact.

Xanathus

Man fuck this matchmaking, I play handlock and I get matched against shamans and druids with BGHs and black knights and hunters and mages. I switch to shaman and I get matched against miracle and freeze mage. I switch to zoo and I face druids who expect zoo and keep their early removals.

Problem with all the decks relying on combos, it's mostly just delaying till they get it, which to me isn't that fun. At least zoo is over quick and things are happening. Mage is one of the worst offenders with their constant freezing and board clearing till they get their combo.

Not all decks rely on combos for every win, but all decks (other than heavy control) need some burst damage because of decks like handlock, control warrior, and priest and cards like alexstrasza and jarraxus.

Regarding mage combo though, if you can deal with alexstrasza and heal in the same turn (ie bgh + earthen ring farseer), you should be very capable of winning. They can still burst you down, just not in a single turn. If you can finish them off before then, then you're gold. You should be able to. If you're a class like priest, you shouldn't lose because they'd basically have to pyro you to win. Same with warrior. And pyroblast for a finisher is incredibly difficult these days at 10 mana. But can still be done I guess.

Forsen said they needed to nerf either shadowstep or prep, rather than Leeroy, since changing Leeroy effects other classes a lot more than Miracle.

They could likely make the mana cost of either of those 1 rather than 0 and it would have a big impact.

I actually don't think leeroy + shadowstep is a problem at all though. I don't think any form of leeroy use is OP.

I don't know how much raising their costs by 1 would change much since I assume their effects would be increased by 1 to keep them from being useless. Perhaps the prep one would be a worthy change.

Tacitus_

Other idea I've seen floated is putting a max to the amount of card draw the auctioneer can make per turn. Cycling half your deck in one turn couldn't have been intended.

Zafir

Not all decks rely on combos for every win, but all decks (other than heavy control) need some burst damage because of decks like handlock, control warrior, and priest and cards like alexstrasza and jarraxus.

Regarding mage combo though, if you can deal with alexstrasza and heal in the same turn (ie bgh + earthen ring farseer), you should be very capable of winning. They can still burst you down, just not in a single turn. If you can finish them off before then, then you're gold. You should be able to. If you're a class like priest, you shouldn't lose because they'd basically have to pyro you to win. Same with warrior. And pyroblast for a finisher is incredibly difficult these days at 10 mana. But can still be done I guess.
Well, I was playing as Warlock Zoo at that point because I don't have cards to do much else(only started playing last week) so healing wasn't going to happen, they just seemed to get really lucky with their draws to keep on top. I finally got a second Savannah yesterday so been giving hunter a shot now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How do I deal with this situation as a mage (against a priest).

I get no two mana cards. Only Argent Squires and Fireball.

He spawns a Northsire Cleric and Powerword: Shields it.

Do I wait till turn 4 and fireball?

Well, I was playing as Warlock Zoo at that point because I don't have cards to do much else(only started playing last week) so healing wasn't going to happen, they just seemed to get really lucky with their draws to keep on top. I finally got a second Savannah yesterday so been giving hunter a shot now.

Hmm, well zoolock doesn't run heals. I'd imagine you won't be winning against a freeze mage deck with zoolock much lol. That is just how it goes. You might be capable of figuring out a way to tune your deck to better meet freeze mage though.

Not sure how, but basically you gotta play pretty aggressive vs that type of deck. Some decks just have bad match ups like that. Both are extremes of opposite ends.

Other idea I've seen floated is putting a max to the amount of card draw the auctioneer can make per turn. Cycling half your deck in one turn couldn't have been intended.

Actually the devs have stated that they are okay with pulling off huge things like that. And I am pretty sure the post was talking about auctioneer specifically but I cannot recall it has been a month or more.

Violet_0

Banned

waste of a fireball. You want to deal with the cleric with minions, otherwise the priest gets a pretty big card advantage. 1 damage on board isn't normally a threat*

*until they play a second cleric, pyromancer and circle of healing next turn

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
waste of a fireball. You want to deal with the cleric with minions, otherwise the priest gets a pretty big card advantage. 1 damage on board isn't normally a threat*

*until they play a second cleric, pyromancer and circle of healing next turn

This is when you can go silly and start forcing him to draw out his deck.

I think him getting a card cycled out of that is better than using a fireball on a 1/5 2 mana minion. I could be wrong, I don't play mage enough. Chances are while you clear the 1/5 he just drops a much stronger threat in its place and now you don't have a fireball to deal with a real threat.

Usually my mage decks suck vs priests, unless they aren't running powerword pain which can be the case cause some just don't run that card anymore.

zoukka

Well the deck that is less aggressive than the other is bound to play the "delaying" game. Plenty of people prefer to play control over aggro strategies.

And it's just an error of perception to say nothing is happening before the combo goes off. The control deck has more complex decisions on every turn compared to your zoo tactics :)

Zafir

Well the deck that is less aggressive than the other is bound to play the "delaying" game. Plenty of people prefer to play control over aggro strategies.

And it's just an error of perception to say nothing is happening before the combo goes off. The control deck has more complex decisions on every turn compared to your zoo tactics :)
I'm not on about all control decks. I was just on about mage specifically, because if they have the right cards, sometimes you just can't really do much against them and that's that, probably because it was made to be a counter to zoo as a previous poster said.

I would love to play classes that apparently require 'more complex' decisions which is why I'm now running hunter, but the game doesn't allow you to play a lot of decks very well vs the current meta when you're starting out.

Either way, I just would like it if the games were less about I WIN combos, I guess.

Tarazet

The only secret to playing against Mage is to always assume Flamestrike is coming. Play one annoying minion at a time and make them spend all their removal on it. Freeze has next to no damage it can do outside of spells to the face.

Haly

Wait, so, not only do you not want combo in this game, but you don't want control either.

What's left? Just running 3 drops into each other all day?
if they have the right cards, sometimes you just can't really do much against them and that's that
This is every deck in the game. The only time it's not true is when one deck has a completely lopsided matchup against another.

Zafir

Wait, so, not only do you not want combo in this game, but you don't want control either.

What's left? Just running 3 drops into each other all day?

This is every deck in the game. The only time it's not true is when one deck has a completely lopsided matchup against another.
Did you read the rest of my posts?

I just mentioned my position on mages. Not all control, and it's worth noting it probably is a lopsided match up if they have the right cards. So yeah.

Edit: To add. Maybe my real annoyance is just that starting out is kind of tedious. So I'm stuck running very few decks, and then get annoyed easily because not only am I inexperienced with the game compared to those who are, and I lack the cards to play some of the better decks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

I hate when the game "freezes" on my turn... fucasjaujsdfpoajsdpsajdisajdoisajdoiajsd

how did this pass beta

Haly

Did you read the rest of my posts?

I just mentioned my position on mages. Not all control.
Your complaint isn't unique to Mages, it can be applied to every poor matchup between two decks in this game. If you're complaining specifically about Zoo vs Freeze, I hope you realize the only reason Freeze mage is being played again (yes, it isn't a new deck, it's a resurgence of an old deck) is because the field is cluttered with aggro/midrange (which Freeze is good at handling) and combo (which, again, Freeze is good at handling).

Zafir

Your complaint isn't unique to Mages, it can be applied to every poor matchup between two decks in this game.
Well, that's true. I just updated my post anyway, I'll put it here as well -

Edit: To add. Maybe my real annoyance is just that starting out is kind of tedious. So I'm stuck running very few decks, and then get annoyed easily because not only am I inexperienced with the game compared to those who are, and I lack the cards to play some of the better decks.

Your complaint isn't unique to Mages, it can be applied to every poor matchup between two decks in this game. If you're complaining specifically about Zoo vs Freeze, then I'll invite you to consider why Freeze mage is a viable deck again.

I'll give you a hint, it has to do with the abundance of burst and aggro in this meta.

That's fair enough, but as a newbie, what else are you meant to play when you're missing the better cards?

Haly

Yes, well, blame Blizzard for this, and the whole grind for cards thing. It's unfortunate, but not in any way that is "fixable", as far as I can tell.

Except for giving new players more cards, which I believe they'll do down the road.

(Sorry for getting aggressive but I see this stuff over and over in this thread and it gets really tiring.)

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

I hate when the game "freezes" on my turn... fucasjaujsdfpoajsdpsajdisajdoisajdoiajsd

how did this pass beta
The last time a game froze on me, I exited the game, and it didn't count as a loss, or anything for that matter. However, I did stay in the match for 10 minutes, so maybe the other guy I was playing left before that.

Not sure what happened to you, but that seems like a best case scenario for when a game stops.

Zafir

Yes, well, blame Blizzard for this, and the whole grind for cards thing. It's unfortunate, but not in any way that is "fixable", as far as I can tell.

Except for giving new players more cards, which I believe they'll do down the road.

(Sorry for getting aggressive but I see this stuff over and over in this thread and it gets really tiring.)

No problem, I do understand your view.

I'm hoping Naxx mixes it up a bit or something.

Tarazet

Well, that's true. I just updated my post anyway, I'll put it here as well -

That's fair enough, but as a newbie, what else are you meant to play when you're missing the better cards?

Well, for the same reason that Mage dominates in Arena, it's also a good deck to start out with in Constructed. Mage has some of the best value spells in the game, and they are free cards that are unlocked in the first hour of play. Contrast that with Shaman, which doesn't even have Lightning Bolt in its basic set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom