• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

Well, I hate to say it, but that kind of stuff is always going to happen in any game where you've got counters. :p It always happens in MMO threads, as well. I'd assume it happens in MOBA discussions too, though I've never really gotten into one to see.

Well, for the same reason that Mage dominates in Arena, it's also a good deck to start out with in Constructed. Mage has some of the best value spells in the game, and they are free cards that are unlocked in the first hour of play. Contrast that with Shaman, which doesn't even have Lightning Bolt in its basic set.
I'll give it a try at some point, when I looked around at F2P mage decks, I was still missing a few cards so that's why I didn't try it.

Shaman I won't be playing any time soon for the exact reason you mentioned though. Missing far too many cards for it really, just like Druid. Which is a shame as I'd love to try them both.

Zafir

You slog through dailies building value decks and focus on arena. Check out trumps f2p lists for a place to start.

That's what I've been doing, unfortunately trump's f2p list contains cards I don't have. Hence I've been sticking to zoo lock, and now hunter.

I'll get there eventually, maybe.

That's what I've been doing, unfortunately trump's f2p list contains cards I don't have. Hence I've been sticking to zoo lock, and now hunter.

I'll get there eventually, maybe.

If you're still missing basic cards then you won't get them until you level up those classes to 10 and unlock them.

Zafir

If you're still missing basic cards then you won't get them until you level up those classes to 10 and unlock them.

I've got them all up to 10. I was on about his F2P decks which also contain rares/epics. I don't have all the cards for any of them. Warlock I ended up substituting in other cards for. Mage I could probably do while replacing some stuff too, but just haven't tried it yet. Shaman I'm missing too much though.

Tacitus_

I've got them all up to 10. I was on about his F2P decks which also contain rares/epics. I don't have all the cards for any of them. Warlock I ended up substituting in other cards for. Mage I could probably do while replacing some stuff too, but just haven't tried it yet. Shaman I'm missing too much though.

He got those out of packs, you can substitute them for something similar in purpose / mana cost.

Those are the "finished product" versions I bet. The actual starter decks should only contain basic cards. Like these.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
I feel like not crafting anything anymore. As soon as I craft something I just end up getting it out of a pack. I crafted Alexstraza just a couple of weeks ago and then I get a golden version last night. I could've crafted something else. Now I have to decide whether to de the golden (which looks awesome) and get a different legendary or de the original for a fourth of the dust. Le sigh...

I feel like not crafting anything anymore. As soon as I craft something I just end up getting it out of a pack. I crafted Alexstraza just a couple of weeks ago and then I get a golden version last night. I could've crafted something else. Now I have to decide whether to de the golden (which looks awesome) and get a different legendary or de the original for a fourth of the dust. Le sigh...

I would DE the gold legend, especially if you need other legendary cards.

I dusted gold hogger and never looked back. I already had original hogger and gold hogger is one of the better looking gold cards too imo.

ZZMitch

This is a good issue to have!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

It's an odd thing to complain about getting a golden legendary.

Playing around with a shammy deck right now that has a lot of anti-Zoo properties (finally a use for earth elemental and ancestral spirit!). I actually haven't gotten both those cards at one time... but I found that by tossing in a wind speaker and using argent crusaders, I can pull off some pretty lethal/awesome combos.

So far it's only a little better than 50/50 versus Zoo (still needs some tweaks), but it's 70/30 against frost mages which I wasn't expecting and is a very nice side effect (frost mages rarely run polymorph right now, so ancestral spirit on taunt minions is incredibly good).

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
It's an odd thing to complain about getting a golden legendary.

I'm not complaining about getting the golden. I'm complaining that I was foolish to craft the vanilla version a few weeks ago instead of a different legendary or saving my dust. I think I might just sit on my dust until I have enough to craft whatever left I need rather than crafting one I need and picking it up out of a pack the week after. I know... first world problems.

I would DE the gold legend, especially if you need other legendary cards.

I dusted gold hogger and never looked back. I already had original hogger and gold hogger is one of the better looking gold cards too imo.

...but she's so pretty! I've only gotten one other golden legendary (Tink), and he got dusted for two legendaries when he got nerfed. Once you're down to the last several cards you need, the only thing left to chase is the goldens. I know they're functionally worthless, but they look so cool!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
With the Naxx cards, the meta will likely shift. The point of saving dust is so that you don't craft a card that might be obsolete/fringe in the post-Naxx meta.

ZealousD

I'm not complaining about getting the golden. I'm complaining that I was foolish to craft the vanilla version a few weeks ago instead of a different legendary or saving my dust.

It wasn't foolish. There was no possible way to predict that you could have possibly unpacked a golden version (or even a regular version) of the legendary you wanted.

If you're so concerned about getting the cards you want by unpacking them instead of crafting them, than all you're going to do is sit on a huge ass pile of dust with nothing to show for it.

I'm not complaining about getting the golden. I'm complaining that I was foolish to craft the vanilla version a few weeks ago instead of a different legendary or saving my dust. I think I might just sit on my dust until I have enough to craft whatever left I need rather than crafting one I need and picking it up out of a pack the week after. I know... first world problems.

...but she's so pretty! I've only gotten one other golden legendary (Tink), and he got dusted for two legendaries when he got nerfed. Once you're down to the last several cards you need, the only thing left to chase is the goldens. I know they're functionally worthless, but they look so cool!

One other? During a time when it dusted for double? I've only gotten one total during 9 months of play and yeah I didn't get 2 legends out of him :p

Just dust, make the few cards you need, and then you save all your gold forevermore i guess =/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
It wasn't foolish. There was no possible way to predict that you could have possibly unpacked a golden version (or even a regular version) of the legendary you wanted.

If you're so concerned about getting the cards you want by unpacking them instead of crafting them, than all you're going to do is sit on a huge ass pile of dust with nothing to show for it.

One other? During a time when it dusted for double? I've only gotten one total during 9 months of play and yeah I didn't get 2 legends out of him :p

Just dust, make the few cards you need, and then you save all your gold forevermore i guess =/

I think we're all going to be sitting on a lot of gold/dust for a while. With the rate they're going I doubt we'll see a card expansion until November or December. Between then maybe some low production cost items like alt heroes or extra deck slots or something to serve as a gold or money sink. There'll probably be nothing new to really spend dust on until the end of the year so that's another six months of building up reserves. I think that's why they changed the acquisition of the gold naxx cards to crafting so there'd be a potential dust sink in the mean time. I'll probably spend dust when I need something specific for a deck I want to run, but with likely five or six months of no new cards and just running dailies and arena until then, I think I'm going to be content to just unpack and see what I get rather than trying to fill out my collection now.

I think we're all going to be sitting on a lot of gold/dust for a while. With the rate they're going I doubt we'll see a card expansion until November or December. Between then maybe some low production cost items like alt heroes or extra deck slots or something to serve as a gold or money sink. There'll probably be nothing new to really spend dust on until the end of the year so that's another six months of building up reserves. I think that's why they changed the acquisition of the gold naxx cards to crafting so there'd be a potential dust sink in the mean time. I'll probably spend dust when I need something specific for a deck I want to run, but with likely five or six months of no new cards and just running dailies and arena until then, I think I'm going to be content to just unpack and see what I get rather than trying to fill out my collection now.

You're probably right. I think card development takes longer than we think. I heard MTG card development cycle is at like 5 years or something high like that. Maybe even higher. So they have several development teams and the set that they started working on this year won't be added to the game for 5 years... pretty crazy.

I'd imagine HS will be no where near that development time.

Although, regarding gold naxx cards, they said you always had to craft them even during internal testing. At one point you had to complete heroic bosses just to have the opportunity to craft the gold versions, but you always had to craft them.

JesseZao

They clarified the next day that the crafting of gold cards was always part of the equation. Initially, you needed to beat the heroic challenge first before being allowed to craft. They took away this requirement after testing. I suppose you could say they're lying, but I think it's probably true and they just didn't realize how it sounded when they first mentioned it.

Tarazet

With the Naxx cards, the meta will likely shift. The point of saving dust is so that you don't craft a card that might be obsolete/fringe in the post-Naxx meta.

Well, let's see.

Dancing Swords is mainly going to be really annoying for Priests to deal with. Don't see a meta shift there.

Undertaker is buffed by summoning Deathrattle minions, but realistically he's never going to have a huge impact.

Nerubian Egg will allow Rogues to get a pretty decent board presence on turn 5 with an SI:7 Agent. Can see an outside chance of being played with a Fire Elemental as well. But those are both already mandatory cards for their classes.

Shade of Naxxramas pretty much plays itself, but I can't see it having a lot of staying power.

Baron Rivendare could be played with a Savannah Highmane, Sylvanas, Cairne on turn 10.. or just with a Nerubian Egg or two.

Poison Seeds will give Druids a board neutralizer, not unlike Equality. Should combo well with Soul of the Forest.

Avenge is just going to encourage more Divine Shield play in general.

Death's Bite followed up with a turn 5 Greenskin.. that should be pretty tasty.

Anub'ar Ambusher.. play him together with cheap little chargers and you can get some value.

Rebirth is going to add a lot of value to Al'Akir, Leeroy and Ancestral Spirit for Shamans.

Pretty much all of these are going to make silencing cards more important, so break out your owls and Spellbreakers.

I don't think we're going to see a forgotten Legendary suddenly spring into the limelight. If a card is good now it's still going to be good with Naxx out.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Er, Poison Seeds as anti-Miracle tech? That, and whatever tweaks Blizzard does to Miracle, is enough to shift the landscape.

That's far more important than some janky turn 10 synergy.

Tarazet

Er, Poison Seeds as anti-Miracle tech? That, and whatever tweaks Blizzard does to Miracle, is enough to shift the landscape.

That's far more important than some janky turn 10 synergy.

It would be turn 8, and it would let you double however many minions you have on the board. You must be thinking of Force of Nature? But yes, it basically is a mass silence/mini Equality and that is huge against Miracle.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
You're probably right. I think card development takes longer than we think. I heard MTG card development cycle is at like 5 years or something high like that. Maybe even higher. So they have several development teams and the set that they started working on this year won't be added to the game for 5 years... pretty crazy.

I'd imagine HS will be no where near that development time.

Although, regarding gold naxx cards, they said you always had to craft them even during internal testing. At one point you had to complete heroic bosses just to have the opportunity to craft the gold versions, but you always had to craft them.

They clarified the next day that the crafting of gold cards was always part of the equation. Initially, you needed to beat the heroic challenge first before being allowed to craft. They took away this requirement after testing. I suppose you could say they're lying, but I think it's probably true and they just didn't realize how it sounded when they first mentioned it.

I didn't see that. Either way I'm sure it's intended as a dust sink. Given that you earn the vanilla versions from beating the regular PVE challenges, I think the logical extension would have been that the advanced/heroic versions of the bosses (or whatever they call them) would have earned you the gold versions similar to the rewards from leveling the heroes. If I open a gold card or get it as a reward from arena I don't mind holding onto it, but I'm not going to waste dust to craft gold versions of cards I already have. Kind of lame IMO.

ZealousD

I don't think we're going to see a forgotten Legendary suddenly spring into the limelight. If a card is good now it's still going to be good with Naxx out.

Cairne and Sylvanas might become better than they currently are. Especially with Shaman. Some potentially very sick plays with Rebirth and Ancestral Spirit. You might see a modified Crusher Shaman start to become very popular.

Speaking of the meta, I was curious about something.

Say HearthStone goes on forever with no new cards ever being added, or changes to cards being made, but the meta always being shifted, would it move around in a 'circle'?

Say the birth of Miracle Rogue is the starting point. Right now people are playing decks that directly counter that deck now. It would make sense that people would then start playing decks that counter those, and so on. Eventually Miracle would become viable again, right?

Just some weird TheroyStone I had going on in my head.

Tarazet

Cairne and Sylvanas might become better than they currently are. Especially with Shaman. Some potentially very sick plays with Rebirth and Ancestral Spirit. You might see a modified Crusher Shaman start to become very popular.

Sylvanas has already been starting to creep back into the meta, and Cairne never really left it, but it's true that they aren't currently considered Shaman cards.

Also, I forgot all about Loot Hoarders. Warriors would have a fucking field day with that one.

ZealousD

Also, I forgot all about Loot Hoarders. Warriors would have a fucking field day with that one.

Yeah I think aggro warriors will get a bit stronger with Naxx. They'll have another option to combo with Bloodsail Raider and the free whirlwind at the end of Death's Bite could lend to some pretty good combos.

zoukka

Yeah I think aggro warriors will get a bit stronger with Naxx. They'll have another option to combo with Bloodsail Raider and the free whirlwind at the end of Death's Bite could lend to some pretty good combos.

Deaths bite is more of a control card imo. Sure it could synergise with enrage etc, but it just feels like a bad card in a deck that wants to have small minions on board to pressure the opponent.

scy

Speaking of the meta, I was curious about something.

Say HearthStone goes on forever with no new cards ever being added, or changes to cards being made, but the meta always being shifted, would it move around in a 'circle'?

Say the birth of Miracle Rogue is the starting point. Right now people are playing decks that directly counter that deck now. It would make sense that people would then start playing decks that counter those, and so on. Eventually Miracle would become viable again, right?

Just some weird TheroyStone I had going on in my head.

This is essentially what has happened so far. Most the changes came after decks fell out of the meta / decks were already answered for. Other than that, the meta rotates in a circle pretty much. A deck becomes overwhelmingly popular so the direct counter begins to rise up until it (or some variant that is above-average vs both) becomes the new target that creates another cycle. It keeps going until the meta gets back to a point where the original deck shines.

Also, the "birth of Miracle Rogue" would be somewhere around 9 months ago, not some recent time :x Granted, it was a much different deck then but it still existed after the first round of Rogue nerfs (and was even a surprisingly good deck in some of the early ladder resets if I recall).

Lyng

Nah it would change everything. Besides, miracle would be the deck that would benefit from interrupts the most :)

It would by far also be the deck that would suffer the most from it.
Miracle rogue is fun if your the one playing it, but its extremely boring to be on the receiving end.
The lack of interaction currently turns this into a very solitaire kind of game.
Hearthstone could do well with more mechanics, at the moment its severely lacking.

Slashlen

I didn't see that. Either way I'm sure it's intended as a dust sink. Given that you earn the vanilla versions from beating the regular PVE challenges, I think the logical extension would have been that the advanced/heroic versions of the bosses (or whatever they call them) would have earned you the gold versions similar to the rewards from leveling the heroes. If I open a gold card or get it as a reward from arena I don't mind holding onto it, but I'm not going to waste dust to craft gold versions of cards I already have. Kind of lame IMO.

It really is inconsistent with how they've done it before. The previous gold cards were for doing more of whatever got you the base card. You got basic cards by leveling, gold versions were for leveling more. Expert cards were from packs/arena/dust, gold versions are the same. There are cards from quests like getting all Pirate cards, the gold version is from doing the same thing with gold cards.

Naxx cards are acquired by beating Naxx. According to the pattern, we should get the gold ones by beating Naxx(either on a harder mode or beating it more somehow). Instead, Blizzard says screw you, buy it with dust. It makes them the most grindy cards to get. You will at least get some of the gold expert cards via packs/arena, and dust is for the rest. Here, it's all dust.

Minsc

Gold Member
It really is inconsistent with how they've done it before. The previous gold cards were for doing more of whatever got you the base card. You got basic cards by leveling, gold versions were for leveling more. Expert cards were from packs/arena/dust, gold versions are the same. There are cards from quests like getting all Pirate cards, the gold version is from doing the same thing with gold cards.

Naxx cards are acquired by beating Naxx. According to the pattern, we should get the gold ones by beating Naxx(either on a harder mode or beating it more somehow). Instead, Blizzard says screw you, buy it with dust. It makes them the most grindy cards to get. You will at least get some of the gold expert cards via packs/arena, and dust is for the rest. Here, it's all dust.

Think of the people with 100,000 dust (I think that's the dust cap, or is it uncapped?) and absolutely nothing to spend it on though... we do need some sort of dust sink in the game!

Tacitus_

Just made an opponent ragequit while doing my daily. Though this is a nasty board to be against if you've got 5 hp and no minions on the board.

wbli0hl.png

Also ran against a druid who had starfall. Thought I was safe since he couldn't do +sp swipes so I put a bunch of 2hp stuff on board instead of a tougher minion. Well, there went that board (still won though, cos zoo train doesn't stop that easily).

ZealousD

Just made an opponent ragequit while doing my daily. Though this is a nasty board to be against if you've got 5 hp and no minions on the board.

It's not really a ragequit if you're showing lethal...

Aylinato

I never concede. I've had people royally mess up. I've seen people take out minions instead of simply finishing me off to get their "I can BM you worse than anyone else"

Which all my decks have a ton of healing to fight through that type of BM.

Like my paladin has 38 healing total.

My warlock has 8+6+6+2(and sometimes +5)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
As soon as someone "well plays" me, and I have less than 10-15 health, I tend to concede before he even makes the first move.

Yeah.

This is essentially what has happened so far. Most the changes came after decks fell out of the meta / decks were already answered for. Other than that, the meta rotates in a circle pretty much. A deck becomes overwhelmingly popular so the direct counter begins to rise up until it (or some variant that is above-average vs both) becomes the new target that creates another cycle. It keeps going until the meta gets back to a point where the original deck shines.

Also, the "birth of Miracle Rogue" would be somewhere around 9 months ago, not some recent time :x Granted, it was a much different deck then but it still existed after the first round of Rogue nerfs (and was even a surprisingly good deck in some of the early ladder resets if I recall).

Thanks Scy, I've found it interesting to think about things like this. It's cool to see things change around. I mainly picked Miracle because it's all I could think of at the time and it's so infamous here. I just hope a lot of interesting things happen when Naxx comes around.

Also, about conceding, I'll never use the button unless if I have to leave, but if I know I'm going to die and can't do anything about it, I always try to kill myself in some fashion. Use one of my own spells on myself, hit something with my face, etc. Never see a lot of people do that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom