• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is definately some skill to this game. There is a reason why some people rush to legend and others need to grind.
Every little decision matters in this game. Of course there is luck to the game, like in any card game.
But a world class player will trash a very bad player every time, regardless of draw.

That beeing said, getting to legend itself does not say much about your skill. Simply dismissing peoples oppinion because they are not legend, is downright idiotic.
Most players, given enough time, can grind to legend.
Alot of players, just cannot effort to put the amount needed into the game to get there.

I would say, if you want to dismiss people based on any rank, then it should be how high they are in legend rank, or how fast they reached legend rank. (based on amount of games played, not period of time)

I realise this was a while a ago, but just wanted to respond because I think you're misinterpreting the intention of my post a bit.

I'm not dismissing his opinion on the game and opinion on what is/isn't skill because he's not legend rank (hell I never bothered to try get legend either)

My issue was that he was saying how easy it was to get legend, that you don't even need a brain to do so, when (from what I can remember and from what I have heard from others) he's never gotten to legend himself.

Like he can't really comment on how easy it is to get to legend and it's unfair to those that have achieved legend to have their achievement diminished by someone who has never achieved it himself.

Zemm

I was thinking earlier how the game would be if you just had all 30 cards from the start instead of relying on a draw. Would it make it more fair, more awful, somewhere in between? Pretend warlock hero skill was changed as well as the draw cards. Would be more strategic and possibly interesting at least in my opinion.

2035 gold for naxx... not even trying to get gold it just comes so easily. I have more than enough time to get another 765 before week 5 of nax... lol.

Lately been playing firefall instead of hearthstone. :D

I was thinking earlier how the game would be if you just had all 30 cards from the start instead of relying on a draw. Would it make it more fair, more awful, somewhere in between? Pretend warlock hero skill was changed as well as the draw cards. Would be more strategic and possibly interesting at least in my opinion.

It would be a terrible game.

Violet_0

Banned
back to 2700 gold after going down to 1000-1500 gold twice in the past few weeks. Buying packs isn't really a good investment for me anymore, I only need a few more cards. Guess I'll start saving up for the expansion post-Naxx

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Is it Zoo-o'clock? I don't see zoo all day then suddenly it's zoo deck after zoo deck one match after another. I want to swap cards out to deal with it but I know as soon as I do I'll end up getting handlocks. It never fails.

Boba2007

Just finished a 6 win arena. Wanna know why I got only 6 wins? Because I didn't draw my Lightning Storm. Not once, over 9 games.

Hearthstone hates me sometimes.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is it Zoo-o'clock? I don't see zoo all day then suddenly it's zoo deck after zoo deck one match after another. I want to swap cards out to deal with it but I know as soon as I do I'll end up getting handlocks. It never fails.

The more cards your opponent mulligans, the more likely they'll be handlock. Rule of thumb.

Minsc

Gold Member
The more cards your opponent mulligans, the more likely they'll be handlock. Rule of thumb.

You'd think people running zoo decks would mulligan 75% of their hand on purpose (keep the one best card) just to get the other guy thinking they need to face a handlock and throw them off.

Also, the golden heroes showing up in mid-ranks is starting to get up there... just fought three in a row, rogue, warlock and mage! I'm no where close either, I think if I played enough to get two or three golden heroes by now I'd probably be seriously bored of the game, my highest hero is Shaman at ~150 ranked wins. I couldn't imagine having 1000-1500 or more ranked wins at this point, but I don't suppose it is all that uncommon.

J0dy77

I was planning on making a hard push for legend for the first time this month but the naxx release throws that for a loop. I just got enough dust to craft 2x prep and complete the miracle. Anyone think I should hold off and see what happens or just go for it?

MisterArrogant

Neo Member

Thanks, I actually meant swapping cards into the deck rather than mulliganing. I swapped in some whirlwinds to help deal with all the zoo decks but of course as soon as I do I stop getting zoo. Never fails. Thanks for the tip though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You'd think people running zoo decks would mulligan 75% of their hand on purpose (keep the one best card) just to get the other guy thinking they need to face a handlock and throw them off.

That's the kind of 2nd level mindgames that's too ridiculous to actually work.

I mean what happens when the zoolock mulligans two cards only to get Doomguard / Argus back?

Violet_0

Banned
1600 dust again, not sure which legendaries to craft now. I've got pretty much everything but Black Knight, Cenarius, Tirion, Jarraxus and Harrison. I don't like Harrison, too situational and weapons are almost never an issue for me, and I don't currently play paladin or warlock. Leaves me with BK and Cenarius and I'm not really excited about either

Ashodin

5b812f62.png

Slap a taunt on it

Cipherr

Is that fake? Pretty underwhelming if it is real.

Not sure how thats underwhelming. Maybe to those of you rocking legendary decks. But for me, thats a 5 card, or a coined 4 turn that forces the opponent to use some form of removal. BGH won't qualify which means some sort of big card/removal that you cant use on me later. And if you haven't drawn into it yet at that point then I get to go wild on the minions you boarded until you DO draw it.

I love those kinda cards. I only have 1 of the 3 play cobras with that effect, and its great burying him behind a taunt and watching an opponent fireball/poly/hex/soulfire him or something to save a bigger minion on their side. I also play a priest though, and that minion would be a great target for:

mTooNOR.png

especially if you get a chance to double its health first.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kills two Druids of the Claw (Bear).

Seems good to me.

Not sure how thats underwhelming. Maybe to those of you rocking legendary decks. But for me, thats a 5 card, or a coined 4 turn that forces the opponent to use some form of removal. BGH won't qualify which means some sort of big card/removal that you cant use on me later. And if you haven't drawn into it yet at that point then I get to go wild on the minions you boarded until you DO draw it.

I love those kinda cards. I only have 1 of the 3 play cobras with that effect, and its great burying him behind a taunt and watching an opponent fireball/poly/hex/soulfire him or something to save a bigger minion on their side. I also play a priest though, and that minion would be a great target for:

mTooNOR.png

especially if you get a chance to double its health first.

I'm not talking about the card's strength which I haven't really thought of. I am talking about it from how boring it is. Every other legendary card shown from naxx has had unique text while maexna has the text shared by other cards already in the game.

Sure, if the card is a 2/8 with that text, it is strong, but kinda boring still imo.

Don't forget other cards like Warsong Commander and Tundra Rhino. Though, they do have to live to be of good use or it's a really slow kill, turn 8 and 10 respectively.

That is of course if it's real.

Edit: Of course, the same can be said about the Cobra, and no one uses that.

Lyng

I realise this was a while a ago, but just wanted to respond because I think you're misinterpreting the intention of my post a bit.

I'm not dismissing his opinion on the game and opinion on what is/isn't skill because he's not legend rank (hell I never bothered to try get legend either)

My issue was that he was saying how easy it was to get legend, that you don't even need a brain to do so, when (from what I can remember and from what I have heard from others) he's never gotten to legend himself.

Like he can't really comment on how easy it is to get to legend and it's unfair to those that have achieved legend to have their achievement diminished by someone who has never achieved it himself.

Yeah then I misunderstood your post.
And yes in this case I fully agree with you.

It is more likely to eat a silence then a removal tbh.

Well yeah but a silence if you play a hunter deck with a bit of beast synergy isn't too big of a problem. Slap a houndmaster buff on it and you got a nice taunter and he has to re-silence it or trade incredibly innefficiently or use a real removal. I like the stats spread actually, it's like one of these turtles, but on steroid since it kills everything it touches so you need to deal with it, assuming you have any creatures at all(guess freezemage just laugh at it and ignore).

If you have other sorts of buffs especially taunt buffs, the stats spread is very interesting even without the venom(obviously better with, but if they have to use a card to silence and a card to remove it over 2 turns, that's like good). Only issue is Black Knight then. Mark of the Wild or Mark of Nature come to mind for good buffing cards, especially since druids can always use some removal. Not the greatest removal but eh.

We also don't really know if those are the actual stats. That's from the leak from a while ago but they might have changed stuff during balance passes. Loatheb was officially revealed but Maexna is based on the old leak I believe.

1600 dust again, not sure which legendaries to craft now. I've got pretty much everything but Black Knight, Cenarius, Tirion, Jarraxus and Harrison. I don't like Harrison, too situational and weapons are almost never an issue for me, and I don't currently play paladin or warlock. Leaves me with BK and Cenarius and I'm not really excited about either

Black Knight and Cenarius are both good components to a Ramp/Taunt Druid. Black Knight possibly decent in something like Control Warrior as well.

zoukka

Midrange Hunter could find a place for Maexxna. You can Houndmaster it without having to fear BGH unlike with Tiger and Highmane and it has similar fatty utility as Snapjaw.

Also it's just a nice beast added to the Webspinner slot machine :)

frequency

I'm going through the Twitch archive videos for IEM Shenzhen.

Amaz is always so entertaining to watch.
That Sylvannas + Shadowflame play to steal Rdu's Rag for the win was insane.
Maybe one of the best plays I've seen in all the Hearthstone I've watched.
Also wow at those
Pyromancer plays in the vs. Warrior game

I love that Amaz brings Priest to tournaments and
is successful with it

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
I finally got my bling Warrior. Damn he looks cool. The only problem is that it seems pointless to play him now that everything's maxed out. I guess it's time to move onto another class. I'm deciding between Paladin, Warlock and Shaman. Hmm...

1dKtdwEl.png

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Time to join that 12 win train! Didn't get a leg from the pack like some lucky GAFfers but wrecking the final Mage boss desperately hoping for his skillstrikes was satisfying enough.

Congrats! Feels good, doesn't it? Nice haul of gold there and a usable golden card. Can't ask for much more than that.

Seems the infinite quest roll is back if you log in at the correct time. More money for Naxx!

What's the timing? I haven't been able to get it to work myself.

Tacitus_

Midrange Hunter could find a place for Maexxna. You can Houndmaster it without having to fear BGH unlike with Tiger and Highmane and it has similar fatty utility as Snapjaw.

Also it's just a nice beast added to the Webspinner slot machine :)

Yeah, I'm slotting out one snapjaw for that the moment I can.

Violet_0

Banned
Black Knight and Cenarius are both good components to a Ramp/Taunt Druid. Black Knight possibly decent in something like Control Warrior as well.

I main druid (ramp/combo hybrid) but use Rag instead of Cenarius. With Poison Seeds Black Knight might become obsolete in druid decks and I already use Cairne in my 6 mana slot, so I dunno. Going to build a token druid deck with Naxx cards and see how it goes, both cards could be useful

Water

Got beat by a weird mage deck at rank 5-ish. I saw a leper gnome, a Violet Teacher and a bunch of the usual mage spam and assumed it was a token deck like mine. Then an Auctioneer came out, then Frost Nova, two Ice Blocks, Alexstrasza. Do people put Auctioneers and Violet Teachers in Freeze Mage now? I didn't see any Doomsayers, dunno if they were in the deck or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom