• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNvid02

just went from rank 14 to 8 with miracle rogue, it feels wrong but snatching a win from the jaws of defeat feels so good

I get what you're saying, scy. winning streaks are way too forgiving.

you don't even have to be a good judge of the current meta since there are so many legendary players streaming. just copy what they've figured out on their climb through the lower ranks.

maybe just reducing the number of stars you need for ranks 20-5 would be a better system?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ABOUT TIME THAT I GOT FUCKING TIRION FORDRING!

Been maining control paladin since the start and never thought I'd get it... but I did :D

Here are some other "good/special" cards that I got.

2x Big Game Hunter
Twilight Drake
Avenging Wrath
Defender of Argus
MCT
Van Cleef
Ice Block
x2 Mana Tide
-Golden- Sunfury Protector
-Golden- Spellbender
SI Agent
Earth Elementa
-Golden- Flame Imp
Tirion Fordring
Lightwarden
-Golden- Starfall
-Golden- Bite
Crazed Alchemist
Sunwalker
-Golden- Blessing of Wisdom
Ancient of Lore
Between 2-4AM EST I believe.
I suck at this. In how many hours will I be able to do this?

Raxus

What exactly do I do during this time? Got a step-by-step guide?

You log on and go to your quest log. You then will see you have the option to reroll. Keep hitting 'x' until you roll into a quest you like. You are on the EU servers so I don't know the exact timing on when quests are assigned there but the unlimited rerolls are typically a couple hours before the quest is assigned for the day.

In the US you can start rerolling in 7 hours and 37 minutes from now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Afaik if you play on EU servers the infinite quest reroll doesn't work.
Aww :( The typical Blizzard-luck that tends to strike NA more than any other region ._.

Yoshichan

Buy 40 packs on my computer = 45 euro = 60 usd
Buy 40 packs on my iPad = 375 SEK = 54 usd
Buy 40 packs while my region is on US = 40 usd

What the FUCK Blizzard/every company in the world.

rac

Banned
it's worth it for a new player as it sets up pretty good but if you have being playing for a while yeah its not worth it.

I think if you were guaranteed 3-4 legendaries it may be worth it, but paying 40$ for something that is pure rng just seems like a bad decision.

Yoshichan

FINALLY AFTER MUCH SWEAT, TEARS AND BLOOD... (it got OVERLY complicated because for some reason ONLY wired connections could "find" each other...). So running three iPads didn't work, and my Laptop doesn't have a working network-thingy so I had to make phone calls and shit in order to borrow two other computers and hook them up directly to my router.

FUCK. TOTALLY WORTH IT!

EKUK87e.png

Yoshichan

Any suggestions for my mid-late-range mage deck? I have zero legendaries besides Ysera for mages so don't mention any.

edit: God, I wish I could replace Bolderfist with Cairne... I can afford three fucking legendaries but my OCD... my damn OCD :(

mII0KnY.png

Yoshichan

lvl 58 paladin reward... Golden GOLDSHIRE FOOTMAN.

Seriously?

scy

I get what you're saying, scy. winning streaks are way too forgiving.

you don't even have to be a good judge of the current meta since there are so many legendary players streaming. just copy what they've figured out on their climb through the lower ranks.

maybe just reducing the number of stars you need for ranks 20-5 would be a better system?

It's hard to say at this point. Making the ranks matter "more" now would feel like a slap in the face to people used to the progress as is (and have "slow" progress with the current system anyway) so that feels like the worst option. Maybe faster progress helps but I guess it just makes them matter even less at that point?

Maybe it's not even really a problem and more just a perspective thing. Meh.

it would just change the wall those players hit. because they're gonna hit a wall. I guess it's too late to do anything except completely change the entire system.

Tarazet

Is anyone trying to blame loses? It's about people playing brainless decks such as murloc or warlock rush etc which are a complete fucking joke to play and also not very fun to play against.

I'll tell you what is a joke and not fun to play against: Consecration or Swipe on every turn 4, Holy Nova on every turn 5, Flamestrike on every turn 7. Compared to aggro, control decks can do a lot more with a lot less fuss.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Having played hearthstone on and off since the whole ranked season thing started I've come to just really despise the entire concept.

The bottleneck at rank 5 is dumb. Having an arbitrary separation of legend/not legend is dumb. Having to start over every month is dumb.

I know that I will never be a legend player. And that has nothing to do with deck design or skill or my learning of the game and everything to do with the fact that I only play maybe 50 games/month. And every month I get reset and suddenly have to play 25 of those games against people that I destroy before I get back to higher rank.

I want to play in a ranked mode where I just straight up see my MMR/world wide ranking. And I want to see my ranking go up or down based on how well I'm playing and the decks I design. Instead, my ranking correlates with the day of the month. It's a useless number that doesn't convey any amount of information about my skill level or whether I'm improving. The best way to improve my win% is to play on the 23rd instead of the 7th.

Getting knocked back every month combined with there being a 'winning' state of 'being legend' every month and the number of games required to achieve that is why hearthstone ranked is referred to constantly as a grind. Because it is a grind.

And unranked 'casual' mode isn't useful because again, it conveys to me the same amount of information on my play and improvement (i.e. none).

Kenaras

lmao.

dat holy light in hand too

He also used an Earthen Ring Farseer to heal a minion, just before he died. The Druid drew his entire deck, so he was guaranteed to have the double Savage Roar combo. Zilea had several ways he could have played around the combo, but didn't bother.

I do think combos like that are unhealthy for the game, and shouldn't exist. In this case though, Zilea had a guaranteed win if he just did the math and kept the combo in mind.

scy

Having to start over every month is dumb.

The restart is probably the biggest deal, really. It's what really devalues the lower rankings since you're just constantly trying to go through them per month. Because of that, the lower ranks kind of just "exist" as filler since it can't be a "proper" ladder the entire time.

In this case though, Zilea had a guaranteed win if he just did the math and kept the combo in mind.

"That should not be enough damage to win! ... is it?" says pretty much everything. Just simply a case of just being unaware of what's available.

If there is one thing I just don't get is how I can take on deck all the way up to rank four easily, then the next day fall back three ranks. It's probably just poor play, but I don't think I'm playing that differently. But I also don't just it's just all bad luck either. Safest thing to assume are the people I'm playing. Maybe it is easier to rank up late on a weeknight rather than a weekend.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Since I have extra gold saved up (more than I need for Naxx), I've been trying Arena again. I haven't played Arena in a long time. I'm terrible... but it's a lot of fun. I'm seeing cards I forgot even existed. It's so much more varied than constructed.

I used to hate arena but I've come to like it more than constructed. Like you said, it's nice to play and see cards that have been passed over in the current meta and not just running into the same old decks over and over again. You just have to stick with it until you get the hang of it. I used to forgo arena and just used my gold to buy packs outright. I ended up losing out on a lot of arena experience. Eventually I went back and stuck it out until now I feel a lot more comfortable with it and am finally seeing a return on my investment.

Save $5 on Naxxramas by getting a $20 Battle.net gift card for $15 at Gamestop

http://www.kongregate.com/pages/lionheart-promo

Awesome, thanks! That just further sweetens the deal.

Watching a chinese HS tourney where both players miss optimal plays all the time... It's bizarre.

I watched some of that earlier, and was SHOCKED at how bad it was. One match I watched was so bad that the casters were kindly goofing on how bad the two had been playing (they were legit awful), even though the casters miscounted lethal several times themselves...

zoukka

I watched some of that earlier, and was SHOCKED at how bad it was. One match I watched was so bad that the casters were kindly goofing on how bad the two had been playing (they were legit awful), even though the casters miscounted lethal several times themselves...

Yeah the highlight reel consisted of misplays ROFL.

HS still has a long way in becoming a worthwile esport candidate.

Kenaras

I honestly don't see how Hearthstone could ever become a good e-sport. For people who play hundreds of games per month, the ladder actually works pretty well. The RNG gets averaged out, and small differences in skill have a very real effect on ranking. In a tournament, there just aren't enough games played for this to happen. Tournaments could change to a format where far more games are played, but that would be boring to watch.

Zemm

I honestly don't see how Hearthstone could ever become a good e-sport. For people who play hundreds of games per month, the ladder actually works pretty well. The RNG gets averaged out, and small differences in skill have a very real effect on ranking. In a tournament, there just aren't enough games played for this to happen. Tournaments could change to a format where far more games are played, but that would be boring to watch.

The tournaments are pretty shitty yeah, when you see that Amaz's Ragnaros rng vs RDU to win the semi-final you can only laugh. Watching twitch streams are really fun though.

Jrmint

Man I love fast Druid. Really the only way you can lose is if you don't draw Swipe versus aggro and even then there's still a chance.

I use 1 Defender of Argus and 1 6 mana legendary (currently BK, sometimes Sylvanas) instead of the 2 commanders and it works really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom