• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's a bit heavy handed :x

There better be some serious contention for the slot because it's really, really, really hard to argue with a 5cc 5/5 that stops all spell combos.

I had a brain fart, cause in MTG all non-land cards are spells so my gut reaction was "welp, can't play anything ever again".

Now that I cooled my head, it looks more reasonable, although still a big fuck you to Miracle of course. Also, Freeze mirrors just got one turn longer.

Kenaras

Loatheb might end up being the new pre-nerf Sylvanas: an auto-include 5-drop in every deck. Zoo will laugh at the Battlecry, of course. And Zoo will laugh even harder when dropping its own Loatheb, protecting its board from AoE on a key turn.

scy

I had a brain fart, cause in MTG all non-land cards are spells so my gut reaction was "welp, can't play anything ever again".

Now that I cooled my head, it looks more reasonable, although still a big fuck you to Miracle of course. Also, Freeze mirrors just got one turn longer.

It's still a bit heavy handed but I suppose this about the best to be done to deal with spell combos short of giving everyone a counterspell of sorts.

I'm just hoping there's contention for the 5cc slot. Otherwise ... uh ... why wouldn't I run Loatheb? This is a card I can make arguments for in pretty much any deck unless the meta is basically all Zoo. And even then I'd want a 5cc 5/5 anyway.

Haly

5-6 is Zoo's kill turn. I don't think they can afford to cut out either Doomguard or Argent Commander for a vanilla 5/5 without charge. Essentially, by the time they can play it, the AoE that would've mattered (Blade Flurry, Consecration, Explosive Trap, Hellfire), have already been played.

The only matchup where I see it might be useful is against Freeze Mage since they can chain Freeze and Ice Blawk.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
It's a bit heavy handed :x

There better be some serious contention for the slot because it's really, really, really hard to argue with a 5cc 5/5 that stops all spell combos.
People will sitll like Azure Drakes for the spell power/card draw. There also might be fierce 5 drop competition with the thaddius guys depending on how good thaddius is.

edit: were those leaked cards real? I guess I might have missed any news that they were fake.
edit2: also sounds like there is going to be a 5 mana 2/8 beast with deathtouch? maybe?

The nax expansion seems like its really geared around filling in the weak 5 drop slot for non druid classes.

I wish I had the statistics as to how many decks run Azure Drake. Seems like everyone runs it except Aggro decks. So, I agree, looks like Naxx will give more diversity to 5-drops, which is great.

Loatheb is a "safety card" in the format, basically if you get to a point where the metagame is all about burst killing you with spells in one turn, you can play Loatheb and buy yourself an additional turn. Against those decks he's a huge hoser.

If he's not relevant in the matchup you still have a 5/5 for 5.

Was just thinking, Loatheb would be great in a Rogue bounce deck. Of course this is magic Christmas land logic but;

4: Ambusher
5: Loatheb and hit with Ambusher
6: Hit face with Loatheb, trade Ambusher, replay Loatheb
7: Hit face, Shadow Step, replay Loatheb
8: Hit face, Brewmaster, replay Loatheb

Highly improbable, but it was fun to think about.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
I think for every brawl where my one guy pops out against three of theirs, I get three brawls where it leaves their very worst minion on the board. Is that balance?

I was just thinking about making a joke deck, but I wanted Cho for it... The RNG gods have heard my prayer, and answered in spades....

ciGNrxS.jpg

My first golden legendary. I shall keep him forever.

(edit) aaaaand the RNG gods were not done with me this day...

They have bestowed another legendary I was missing unto me!

manhack

Was just thinking, Loatheb would be great in a Rogue bounce deck. Of course this is magic Christmas land logic but;

4: Ambusher
5: Loatheb and hit with Ambusher
6: Hit face with Loatheb, trade Ambusher, replay Loatheb
7: Hit face, Shadow Step, replay Loatheb
8: Hit face, Brewmaster, replay Loatheb

Highly improbable, but it was fun to think about.

Loatheb, shadowstep, combos?

zoukka

Its a very heavy counter to ramp aswell.

Druid just slams a fat minion for that turn...

In any case Loatheb is a pretty stupid card. Since the effect is one sided I can't see how it's not in every deck that can open up a slot for it. Too much tempo and disruption in one package.

Miracle Rogue suddenly calls 911.

Although, I wonder if Rogues would use this card to their advantage anyway?

I mean think about it: one of the main protections for miracle rogues for Gadget Auctioneer is conceal. Why? To protect it from most spells. But what if they were able to play Lotheb instead? That's something to keep in mind.

Anilusion

Miracle Rogue suddenly calls 911.

Although, I wonder if Rogues would use this card to their advantage anyway?

I mean think about it: one of the main protections for miracle rogues for Gadget Auctioneer is conceal. Why? To protect it from most spells. But what if they were able to play Lotheb instead? That's something to keep in mind.

You would need 10 mana to play Auctioneer + Loatheb.

Haly

Play Loatheb -> Pass -> Play Auctioneer -> Shadowstep Loatheb -> Play Loatheb.

10 years since spellcast.

You would need 10 mana to play Auctioneer + Loatheb.

True but if a miracle rogue were able to play Auctioneer and conceal in turn 6 or 5 (if he has coin), then next turn Loathheb, it would be pretty strong.

Also Loathheb as someone else said is great against Druid decks too. Not only would they not even be able to play Force Savage combo, they can't even play force of nature since the cost would be 11 XD.

Violet_0

Banned
funny that he has exactly the right mana cost to counter Auctioneer (sort of). He probably was designed with that card in mind

also interesting that the leak got the card wrong

So loatheb is going in my deck, regardless of miracle rogue and druid. My deck benefits from battlecries and sticky minions. Plus too much hp for argent commander to take out.

And my deck, coincidentally, gets a 5/5 for 4cc from the anubar ambusher being added so I can deal with this card with my build presence.

Immune to sap? Cause it makes sap cost 7. At least very protective against it.

So loatheb is going in my deck, regardless of miracle rogue and druid. My deck benefits from battlecries and sticky minions. Plus too much hp for argent commander to take out.

And my deck, coincidentally, gets a 5/5 for 4cc from the anubar ambusher being added so I can deal with this card with my build presence.

Immune to sap? Cause it makes sap cost 7. At least very protective against it.

The opponent would be a fool to Sap Lotheb since it will just comeback the next turn since your opponent pretty much used all it's mana to not even destroy a creature.

scy

To be fair, I'd also imagine that kind of deck to also have a better answer to Loatheb than buying a turn making them rebuy it. I'd like to think that's a relatively rare spot to be in.

To be fair, I'd also imagine that kind of deck to also have a better answer to Loatheb than buying a turn making them rebuy it. I'd like to think that's a relatively rare spot to be in.

An immediate answer would be something like Reckless Rocketeer to charge and kill it.

Other than that, there is not a very easy solution to kill off Lotheb the turn it's played. We would most likely just be reduced to playing whatever minions we have on hand and wait the turn after. But then that one turn could turn the whole game around to whoever plays the Lotheb.

Tacitus_

If you're commenting about loatheb sap, it makes your opponent spend another 5 mana for a minion that doesn't immediately impact the field other than a 5/5. I am saying non-miracle rogues don't rely on spells as much as miracle rogue so that battlecry may not actually be a problem.

Tbh I wouldn't sap it unless it's been heavily buffed and/or taunted. There's so much more stuff to sap.

Tbh I wouldn't sap it unless it's been heavily buffed and/or taunted. There's so much more stuff to sap.

It wouldn't be my priority sap, but still sapping a 5 mana minion to force them to replay it to get value can seal a win in some situations. Depends on the situation and more importantly the deck cause sap doesn't have big targets in some decks. Vs druid, absolutely save sap for something else. But shaman? I'd rather get that tempo gain on loatheb then vs fire elemental for example.

Unless the deck is running earth elemental which is such a bad card and isn't seen in the meta much.

scy

An immediate answer would be something like Reckless Rocketeer to charge and kill it.

Other than that, there is not a very easy solution to kill off Lotheb the turn it's played. We would most likely just be reduced to playing whatever minions we have on hand and wait the turn after. But then that one turn could turn the whole game around to whoever plays the Lotheb.

I'd like to think a Tempo-based deck to have minions on board to deal with it, with or without an overpriced spell used. Especially with all the potentially new Deathrattle minions :x

I'd like to think a Tempo-based deck to have minions on board to deal with it, with or without an overpriced spell used. Especially with all the potentially new Deathrattle minions :x

Yeah rush decks like zoo decks could probably kill it off quick.

I do find it funny though that when Lotheb is played and you have a coin in your hand still, it will cost 5 mana to play it. XD

the balance people always wanted for coin, finally achieved

I can't wait to see a Hearth Trolden video where an opponent will play Lotheb, then the play after that turns end, the player tries to coin, and then tries to play a 6 mana creature without thinking, only to find out he screwed himself that turn. lol

Tacitus_

It wouldn't be my priority sap, but still sapping a 5 mana minion to force them to replay it to get value can seal a win in some situations. Depends on the situation and more importantly the deck cause sap doesn't have big targets in some decks. Vs druid, absolutely save sap for something else. But shaman? I'd rather get that tempo gain on loatheb then vs fire elemental for example.

Unless the deck is running earth elemental which is such a bad card and isn't seen in the meta much.

I seem to run to Earth Elemental shamans on EU ladder. But then again I only play that for my dailies and I'm only at rank 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom