• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

I'm going through the Twitch archive videos for IEM Shenzhen.

Amaz is always so entertaining to watch.
That Sylvannas + Shadowflame play to steal Rdu's Rag for the win was insane.
Maybe one of the best plays I've seen in all the Hearthstone I've watched.
Also wow at those
Pyromancer plays in the vs. Warrior game

I love that Amaz brings Priest to tournaments and
is successful with it

Do you have a link to the amaz vs RDU games?

welp

6aa012da11.jpg

I accidently discovered my new favorite combo while playing around with my joke dragons deck in casual. Played Ony, he went straight for her. I then played Cenarius for +2/2 to all the whelps for massive overkill <3

Zemm

Holy fuck, I just played a hunter that didn't try to rush me down. I might friend request him and thank him for the good game.

Tarazet

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/74028-fury-tank

Looking at this deck, are you really getting any value out of Thalnos? You only have 4 damage spells in the whole deck, two of which will kill Thalnos and Thalnos would boost the damage that you're doing to your own minions as well. Seems like a Loot Hoarder would be better because of the +1 attack he might be able to trade up for a 3/2 or 4/2.

Edit: Does +spell damage boost the damage on Inner Rage?

I use Thalnos to combo with Inner Rage and Whirlwind for removal. For 2 mana he provides excellent value - you Baron Geddon everything for 3 mana, get a card and then still can play a new minion or two. Adding Mortal Strike would make the deck too heavy.

mid-range hunger was crazy popular before the hounds nerf. which is why hounds was nerfed. i loved seeing aggro hunter back then because i knew i could reliably beat it.

ShinNL

Holy fuck, I just played a hunter that didn't try to rush me down. I might friend request him and thank him for the good game.
I was trying a divine shield Warlock control deck and played against a Paladin who only played 1 mana cards (including boar) and the usual 2/1, 3/1 chargers, with no divine shield in sight except for Argent Commander. It felt like a reverse world.

Sure felt good when I won with Molten Giants and Sunwalker, while trying to get there by doing Bloodknight Shadowflame combos and Power Overwhelming on Argent Squires to deal with Blessing of Kings.

To the face players are so crap. Unlike playing proper control where you try to guess the chances someone has a way to put you in a disadvantage, you just hope they don't draw their cards. Worthless decks, worthless players.

After that game I kept facing aggro mages which my Warlock couldn't handle, so I switched to my usual Healing Paladin deck. Funny enough faced aggro mages again and beat them just by healing my face and by clearing their boards.

And I love Youthful Brewmaster more and more. It's soooo good D: Earthen Farseer bouncing, Aldor Peacekeeper bouncing, Guardian of Kings bouncing, Captain Greenskin bouncing.... so much value T_T

Tacitus_

To the face players are so crap. Unlike playing proper control where you try to guess the chances someone has a way to put you in a disadvantage, you just hope they don't draw their cards. Worthless decks, worthless players.

mountain_of_salt.jpg

Deal with it. Control games take way too long for my preference, not to mention I'm only laddering for dailies.

ShinNL

My last 6 games:
face warrior
charge zoo
shockadin
aggro mage
cancer rogue
charge zoo

So many leper gnomes how fun
Try this and laugh at them:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/73109-pretty-face-the-lord-of-healing

I don't think I've seen as many ragequits (not normal concedes) as with this deck. I just try to picture that people who play face decks are really angry people.

"Oh you thought you had lethal with BM spamming only to replied with Guardian of Kings + Earthen Farseer, or Equality + Pyromancer + Holy Light? Woops."

mountain_of_salt.jpg

Deal with it. Control games take way too long for my preference, not to mention I'm only laddering for dailies.
So aggressive. Calm down, buddy.

Zemm

I agree but I also feel like players that rush you down to like 18-20 health then try to finish you off with a wombo combo (fireball + fireball etc etc) are just as bad/worthless.

I can't wait for Naxx, it feels like 99% of people are one of the above and it's so stale.

If only I faced aggro decks...

Druids suck the fun out of this game. I'd rather play against nothing but zoo.

To be honest, I fought druid all morning and I totally agree with you. Zoo is more fun to play against than silence -> silence -> angry trees.

Anyway fighting a face warrior now. I had a miracle rogue to break up the monotony but we're back on track.

ShinNL

I agree but I also feel like players that rush you down to like 18-20 health then try to finish you off with a wombo combo (fireball + fireball etc etc) are just as bad/worthless.

I can't wait for Naxx, it feels like 99% of people are one of the above and it's so stale.
Well yeah, it's the usual aggro mage deck based on Mana Wyrm, Leper Gnomes, Knife Jugglers, Sorcerer's Apprentice and Arcane Missiles. Then Water Elemental, Azure Drake. By then they start losing board control, so Flame Strike time and Frostbolt Ice lance Fireball Pyro away (these won't be used for your minions).

Healing yourself screws up this plan quite badly.

Guardian of Kings is so powerful yet so needed in the current meta (putting a hard to remove minion and healing yourself). I kinda wish it was a neutral minion so more classes have a way to stay sustainable. That card does it's job perfectly. It doesn't influence pure control players that much (since you'll always be fighting for the board), but it punishes face players really hard, including those trying a wombo combo but thanks to the heal you're out of reach.

Cipherr

I agree so much but primarily for Zoo also. Those rushdown and zoo decks are so stupid. Nothing more satisfying than running their decks dry while I heal and control the late game killing them. Then they hit you with the "Well Played"... I normally love the sportsmanship, but its not well played game when all you did was play 1 2 and 3 minions all game hoping to overwhelm me dude. No strategy, no thinking, no nothing.

frequency

Since I have extra gold saved up (more than I need for Naxx), I've been trying Arena again. I haven't played Arena in a long time. I'm terrible... but it's a lot of fun. I'm seeing cards I forgot even existed. It's so much more varied than constructed.

ShinNL

I agree so much but primarily for Zoo also. Those rushdown and zoo decks are so stupid. Nothing more satisfying than running their decks dry while I heal and control the late game killing them. Then they hit you with the "Well Played"... I normally love the sportsmanship, but its not well played game when all you did was play 1 2 and 3 minions all game hoping to overwhelm me dude. No strategy, no thinking, no nothing.
I know right. And you know when they tap at 7 mana they're praying the topdeck god for Doomguard because you start clearing stuff too efficiently by then.

Rockyrock

Since I have extra gold saved up (more than I need for Naxx), I've been trying Arena again. I haven't played Arena in a long time. I'm terrible... but it's a lot of fun. I'm seeing cards I forgot even existed. It's so much more varied than constructed.

so much more fun atm and a free pack. its a win-win

I've actually been playing this pally deck lately:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/73547-supaladin

It's been the best paladin deck I've played so far. It actually has enough juice in the early game to live even if you don't have an equality combo in your opening hand, and with leeroy and the oddball blessing of might you have enough reach to kill off druids and handlocks. And greenskin + truesilver is like, the reason that I try to make paladin work.

I've been very happy with it, and I've probably played 9 control paladin decks over the last two seasons. So far it's kept up with my control warrior winrate, except that it has a way better chance vs druids and I think it's much better vs miracle too, because of the taunts and numerous ways to kill stealthed auctioneers.

I might try the one you linked some day, but I've been down the trail of tears that is top-heavy paladin decks before.

ShinNL

I've actually been playing this pally deck lately:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/73547-supaladin

It's been the best paladin deck I've played so far. It actually has enough juice in the early game to live even if you don't have an equality combo in your opening hand, and with leeroy and the oddball blessing of might you have enough reach to kill off druids and handlocks. And greenskin + truesilver is like, the reason that I try to make paladin work.

I've been very happy with it, and I've probably played 9 control paladin decks over the last two seasons. So far it's kept up with my control warrior winrate, except that it has a way better chance vs druids and I think it's much better vs miracle too, because of the taunts and numerous ways to kill stealthed auctioneers.

I might try the one you linked some day, but I've been down the trail of tears that is top-heavy paladin decks before.
Interesting mid-range Paladin with some finisher options.

I understand your pain of top-heavy decks. I've been tweaking my deck a lot to make sure I can keep playing top-heavy. I think the best tweak I've made is Youthful Brewmaster. Hitting with the same Truesilver Champion 4 times is no joke.

A lot of subtle things are in my deck. Holy Light serves as a cheap spell for Pyromancer to remove divine shields before clearing, or to reverse Equality by using Equality first, then Pyro-Heal to put a 3/1 on the board. Double Hammer of Wrath for all those aggro decks that hide a Knife Juggler behind cheap taunts.

I've totally given up on taunts (aside from Tirion) since they usually just end up stalling my death, but almost never trade efficiently and put me in an advantage. I know what value I get from heals but not always from my taunts.

Anyway, it's a very different style. If you enjoy your Paladin deck, keep playing it and if you want to try mine, make a new list and look at it as a completely different deck. The curves and playstyle are way different.

Unfortunately I've DE'd my Avenging Wrath in the past so I can't try this midrange deck.
I also would like to try a super top heavy Paladin deck one day but I'll be needing the almighty Deathwing for that :p (combined with Holy Wrath and Molten Giants ;o)

If I ever BM someone... It is always Shockadin or Zoo. I am biased though as I almost exclusively play control decks. A Hearthstone match is like fine wine, it just gets better the longer it lasts.

scy

Everyone who doesn't play my exact deck is a terrible, worthless sub-human.

which is weird when most of them play decks that other people would point at and levy similar complaints about wait thatsthejoke damn

It's always weird to me that a single-player experience such as Hearthstone can have so many ways for losses to be blamed on anyone besides themselves.

Zemm

which is weird when most of them play decks that other people would point at and levy similar complaints about wait thatsthejoke damn

It's always weird to me that a single-player experience such as Hearthstone can have so many ways for losses to be blamed on anyone besides themselves.

Is anyone trying to blame loses? It's about people playing brainless decks such as murloc or warlock rush etc which are a complete fucking joke to play and also not very fun to play against.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is anyone trying to blame loses? It's about people playing brainless decks such as murloc or warlock rush etc which are a complete fucking joke to play and also not very fun to play against.

I love to play against Zoo using my Paladin deck. Seeing them put all their energy into taking out a sunwalker only to have redemption proc and bring it back is hilarious.

Or maybe I throw out Tirion Fordring and then Faceless next turn. That's the auto-concede, lol.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay, so here's the setup. I'm playing Toke/MIracle Druid and I'm up against Rogue. Rogue throws down Mukla when I have 9 cards in hand so I only get one banana. Leeroy is played. No shadowstep, but the rogue uses Conceal. He threatens lethal next turn.

I double savage roar and then use the single banana to do exactly lethal damage.

Saved by the banana.

scy

Anyone? Sure. There's plenty that seem to like to find ways besides their play (and like to cover it with "I played perfectly" too) to blame losses. Are all of them that? No. Most of these posts are really just rants about unfun decks to play against which is an understandable thing. Some things aren't fun, regardless of the outcome.

But then you have the "keep losing to no skill net deckssss" over and over and then they start shifting it as if it's the fault of their opponent for using a deck rather than them just not playing a deck with a better match-up or looking at their own play. Those sorts of things are basically part of the game. Viewing the field as a whole and learning to play the field as well as each individual game you play.

To be fair, the post wording is bad since it seems linked to the comment above it / what I'm replying to. I really should have said "It's also weird to me..." or something. I just find it funny coming most recently from LoL where people find ways to blame their loss on the team and so-on. Now here in a single-player game, it's still someone else's fault :x

Saved by the banana.

banana op

I wish it was 80% druid because then it would be easy to win.

I learned the hard way not to have a favorite deck for laddering. it just makes you bitter about having to face the decks that counter it.

Zemm

Anyone? Sure. There's plenty that seem to like to find ways besides their play (and like to cover it with "I played perfectly" too) to blame losses. Are all of them that? No. Most of these posts are really just rants about unfun decks to play against which is an understandable thing. Some things aren't fun, regardless of the outcome.

But then you have the "keep losing to no skill net deckssss" over and over and then they start shifting it as if it's the fault of their opponent for using a deck rather than them just not playing a deck with a better match-up or looking at their own play. Those sorts of things are basically part of the game. Viewing the field as a whole and learning to play the field as well as each individual game you play.

To be fair, the post wording is bad since it seems linked to the comment above it / what I'm replying to. I really should have said "It's also weird to me..." or something. I just find it funny coming most recently from LoL where people find ways to blame their loss on the team and so-on. Now here in a single-player game, it's still someone else's fault :x

Personally I'm just annoyed at how little variety there is out there, every warlock has the exact same cards, like not even an exaggeration, if they're murloc or plain old rush they have the exact same cards, I sigh everytime I see a lock drop a voidwalker turn 1. Then there are mages who rely on alextraza to get you to 15hp then fireball + fireball etc, again all with the same exact cards, miracle rogue, again. I haven't actually faced many druids compared to others in here but I'm getting a shitload of aggro locks, face hunters and alextraza mages, then ofcourse as soon as I change deck to combat them I get paired up against a rogue :///

Right now I really do think the skill levels are just so low, everyone's playing the same shit but because these decks are so effective it works in a lot of cases. Naxx can't come soon enough because the game is stale as fuck.

scy

Naxx can't come soon enough because the game is stale as fuck.

It'll happen again, though :x But, I get what you mean. I'm just more used to it, I guess? Or, rather, came in expecting it so it's something that's normal to me. If anything, I'd say Hearthstone's variety is actually higher than I originally expected since the meta keeps adjusting itself at a faster pace than I expected (that is, it's changed several times per season rather than in per season cycles).

Edit: Overlooked this:

Right now I really do think the skill levels are just so low, everyone's playing the same shit but because these decks are so effective it works in a lot of cases.

Honestly, my take on it is more that I think the Ranked system is a little too lenient early on. Rank 20, 15, 10, 5, etc. all actually don't matter all that much. What this ends up doing is it makes a lot of the early ranks matter a lot less since the individual sub-Legendary ranks mean little and the system is constantly pushing you towards Rank 5 so climbing is almost inevitable at times. This is why I get the whole 5-25 is pretty much "fluff" filler argument: It's pretty much true. So these ranks you can have well designed decks with meh players that slowly climb up so it doesn't really "feel" much different playing people at all these ranks. So it's 20 ranks and it doesn't really seem like 20 ranks of difference. More or a rank or two of difference.

That said, I don't think more cards changes this. It'll change the decks people use but the best of the meta will pretty much still be the most popular stuff. It's just a lot of the games have it not matter because well-built decks with mediocre pilots works relatively well, especially when it's in the early ranks. Rank 5-1 / Legend is where the game is "more fun" by virtue of better players ... but it'll still be the same decks, y'know? I think I lost my point somewhere :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom