• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunbun777

I know one poster mentioned that they like to play out their hand even after they have lethal just to show their opponent what they were holding...

BUT....

It pisses me off so much when players do this, sure maybe they are "showing me their hand" or maybe they are so in the moment they don't even realize they have lethal, but I am pretty sure 95% of the time it is just royal a-holes that need to go pound sand. If any of you do this may God have mercy on your souls.

Minsc

Gold Member
The other day I had the quest for play 20 5-cost or higher creatures, so I was playing cards even when I had lethal... don't care if it upset someone. :p

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I know one poster mentioned that they like to play out their hand even after they have lethal just to show their opponent what they were holding...

BUT....

It pisses me off so much when players do this, sure maybe they are "showing me their hand" or maybe they are so in the moment they don't even realize they have lethal, but I am pretty sure 95% of the time it is just royal a-holes that need to go pound sand. If any of you do this may God have mercy on your souls.
I don't give a fuck on either side of the board. If I have a quest I can grind while doing this you can bet I'll be doing it, most of the time I'm doing it because I'm not getting out of "getting the most out of each turn mode" I'll treat as a kind of discipline if you want.

If I'm the spectator, go on, show me what you had.

bunbun777

OK quests are another slight possibility, but do any of you actually just show off before you win? Don't answer that lol it doesn't matter I guess, just wanted to vent. I need to learn to give others the benefit of the doubt and not let it get to me.

Acidote

OK quests are another slight possibility, but do any of you actually just show off before you win? Don't answer that lol it doesn't matter I guess, just wanted to vent. I need to learn to give others the benefit of the doubt and not let it get to me.

I do, and then I wait until the time almost runs out before I kill him putting him in the maximum possible negative number or giving the killing blow with the most ridicule creature I have. Although I actually don't do any of those things, I just get done with it and any quests I have asap.

BUT....

I had one quest to play 40 minions under 2 mana, one quest to play 20 minions over 5 mana, and destroy 40 minions. You can wait as I complete my quests

I actually pride myself on quick kills. 4 turns on my pally aggro, warlock murlocks, or 5 for druid token makes me smile.

zoukka

Warrior Arena is such a pain. It's just a worse Paladin and I've faced like five of them in a row :(

LOL three consecutive losses to Paladins. In each game I die with Gorehowl in hand. Nothing in warrior deck beats lifegain.

Celegus

Drafted my worst arena deck to date. 3-0 so far, when normally it's a miracle if I hit 2-3. Maybe all the good players are off playing RoS?

bigkrev

BUT....

This is a super common quest. Deal with it.

Aylinato

I would hate to have a quest to play only 2 mana creatures. I normally play my Druid which has 0 123 mana creatures. It's a lot more fun for me

Mistouze

You can always concede.

Minsc

Gold Member
Are we still expecting the ipad version to release next week?

No announcement has been made (hinting a release)... but that's about par for the course.

I'd say it's unlikely, but who knows. With iOS, you can't just release stuff like on PC/Mac, there's a 1-2 week delay between submitting a build and having an approved build you can actually release.

Merovin

I wish I wasn't so terrible at the game, best arena run has been 9 - 3 which isn't too horrific, but it's such a rare occurrence, always average 2 - 3 or 3 - 3 :(

Celegus

I wish I wasn't so terrible at the game, best arena run has been 9 - 3 which isn't too horrific, but it's such a rare occurrence, always average 2 - 3 or 3 - 3 :(

Better than my usual record of 0-3 or 1-3. I do fine in the regular mode, Arena just never seems to work out okay for me (not that I try very often). Never hit 4 wins yet, but I am sitting on a 3-0 run right now somehow.

Today's arena deck... Annoy the hell out of my opponent. Made it to 9-3. Was 9-1 but played against a pally that hard countered it, then I THOUGHT I waited long enough for him to get into another match (about 30 seconds) but it wasn't long enough apparently because I was matched against the same guy, and he steam rolled me a second time.

V5cs2Rt.jpg

4fNx600.jpg

I almost hated myself playing this deck, I know each of my opponents frustration as I kept taking their cards and killing them with it... But I'm a bit of a butt, so now I'm thinking of trying out a similar deck in constructed just for shiggles.

(edit) Besides all of the various forms of mind control, the Northshire cleric + healing circle combo was amazingly awesome. I was regularly drawing 3-5 cards with it, and even managed to get a ghetto flamestrike off with Auchenai SP and it.

Aylinato

Today's arena deck... Annoy the hell out of my opponent. Made it to 9-3. Was 9-1 but played against a pally that hard countered it, then I THOUGHT I waited long enough for him to get into another match (about 30 seconds) but it wasn't long enough apparently because I was matched against the same guy, and he steam rolled me a second time.

V5cs2Rt.jpg

4fNx600.jpg

I almost hated myself playing this deck, I know each of my opponents frustration as I kept taking their cards and killing them with it... But I'm a bit of a butt, so now I'm thinking of trying out a similar deck in constructed just for shiggles.

(edit) Besides all of the various forms of mind control, the Northshire cleric + healing circle combo was amazingly awesome. I was regularly drawing 3-5 cards with it, and even managed to get a ghetto flamestrike off with Auchenai SP and it.

Pretty cool deck. My priest deck is a mind control deck so :)

jblank83

Is Tirion a good card to have? I never see it ranked highly among the legendaries but looking at the stats it seems like it'd be quite useful. I run an aggro Pally, so I'm not sure it'd fit into my build, but if it could, I'd love to try it. It looks badass, plus I never see anyone play it.

Tirion is usually considered one of the best legendaries. The only reason he isn't more prevalent is because he's Paladin only. Ergo most people usually go for the legendaries that can be played in any deck first, like Ragnaros, Ysera, Cairne.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I get anxiety just thinking about an arena run :[

same here. I am so bad at drafting my deck that it actually stresses me out. I use arenavalue and it almost always seems like I do worse using that.

lol. I love CCGs. I love constructed play. God I wish I was better at draft play.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Umm... 3x Core + every data pack (12 x $15) + Creation & Control = $330 and it goes up by $15ish every month...? Yes you need 3x core if you play Netrunner beyond a casual level because you need 3x Sansan, 3x Desperado, etc. Even if you do 2x Core it's still $290...

Also I like Netrunner a lot (which is why I have bought all of the above) but I'm incredibly tired of 'Fast Advance vs. Account Siphon: The Game' and I can't play at work or at 11pm in my pajamas. Generally if I get together with multiple people to play, we play Magic (EDH).

Maybe at retail but at any decent online retailer it's $10 max for a data pack, and Core is ~$27. Sometimes there are sales that make those prices even lower. Account Siphon is quite easy to defend against now with proper tactical play, to the point where I would say that if it just wrecks you there's an 80% chance it's your fault. I had maybe four Account Siphons pulled off against me in 10 games at two different Store Championships (most against top players given Swiss format). Sometimes you get bad draws and some strong card wrecks you but that's true of almost any card game. If anything Corps probably have a 52-54% edge with the current card pool.

Also in terms of what you "need" I want to make sure we are using the same goalposts. You only "need" 3x Core if you are trying to play at the absolute top level. You can do well in even Store Championships using 2x Core but you probably won't win a Regional I suppose.

zoukka

same here. I am so bad at drafting my deck that it actually stresses me out. I use arenavalue and it almost always seems like I do worse using that.

lol. I love CCGs. I love constructed play. God I wish I was better at draft play.

You fear it because you are bad at it because you don't play enough of it.

Edit: YAY GROMMASH from the last booster I bought today for shit and giggles :)

Mistouze

For those that are good at arena, what do you think about arenavalue.net? Is it a good tool for someone with little to no experience at it but getting the hang of the current pool of cards?

The Game

Just got easiest 12 wins ever, it felt unreal how smooth all 12 wins were, had 1 loss due to bad draws at start, with this deck I was very happy when I got to 7 wins couldnt imagine more.

tOKMm40.jpg

xcdEBsW.jpg

Dipper145

Sometimes when I have lethal on board and the guy ends his turn but doesn't concede, and have cards in my hand that also deal damage, I'll misuse the minions on board to make it look like I missed lethal then whip out the charge minion/spell and win. I do this because.. he should have just conceded.

If they don't concede when it's clear that I have lethal damage on board, then I'll do whatever I please.

snack

Sometimes when I have lethal on board and the guy ends his turn but doesn't concede, and have cards in my hand that also deal damage, I'll misuse the minions on board to make it look like I missed lethal then whip out the charge minion/spell and win. I do this because.. he should have just conceded.

If they don't concede when it's clear that I have lethal damage on board, then I'll do whatever I please.
Why should they concede? Both players should keep playing until someone gets to zero health.

scy

Why should they concede? Both players should keep playing until someone gets to zero health.

Because if I see you have lethal on board without doing anything, I'm not going to make you sit there and throw 5 minions at my face to kill me and waste 20-30 seconds of both our time. I respect their time / competence enough that I'll save them a bit of time when I see they have me dead to rights.

Basically just to save a little bit of time. I'm not going to sit there and hope they miss on-board lethal :x

Because if I see you have lethal on board without doing anything, I'm not going to make you sit there and throw 5 minions at my face to kill me and waste 20-30 seconds of both our time. I respect their time / competence enough that I'll save them a bit of time when I see they have me dead to rights.

I purposely don't concede just to give my opponent the opportunity to super overkill me. I suspect some people enjoy doing that. If they don't, well, then they can just kill me with what they have on the board.

And about 1% of the time they miss lethal some how. And I laugh.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
RNG Ruins arena for me, three assassinates in a row, you cant play against that, it just happens and you have to smile and bear it

snack

I purposely don't concede just to give my opponent the opportunity to super overkill me. I suspect some people enjoy doing that. If they don't, well, then they can just kill me with what they have on the board.

Same. And it's funny how karma works sometimes. I've had moments where I topdeck a card to win the game, just because the opponent wanted to overkill me on the next turn.

scy

It's just a hold over from MTG / physical cards, I guess. Just to see the board and concede to dead on board instead of the extra step of making them basically announce attacking your face. Just faster to scoop cards and move on there.

I won't snap concede if you need to do something from hand for lethal. But if you have 15 damage on board and I have <=15 HP? Well Played, Concede.

My first 12 (12-1) win ever off the back of the hunter hounds draw engine. 2 Hounds, 3 Buzzards. Frostwolf Warlord did a lot of work in combination. The class it shut down most was all the mages we love to hate and that I usually play :).

Celegus

Just got easiest 12 wins ever, it felt unreal how smooth all 12 wins were, had 1 loss due to bad draws at start, with this deck I was very happy when I got to 7 wins couldnt imagine more.

Does going nearly straight minions generally work out well in the arena? There's barely any spells there at all!

old

The other day I had the quest for play 20 5-cost or higher creatures, so I was playing cards even when I had lethal... don't care if it upset someone. :p

When I see guys do that I quickly concede before they can get another action in. I don't know what quests you've got and I've got no time for guys who want to rub it in.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Think i found the most satisfying way to win in this game, thoughstealing two hunter traps and using them to kill him when he rushes in with a charge minion.

Oh Hunters, so used to not using your brain.

Arena shouldn't let you get more than two of any Common - Epic or more than one of any Legendary.

Why? There is little reason to do so outside of homogenization of arena with constructed, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

I got into heroes of the storm alpha, makes up for no legendaries :)

This makes me a little sad... I got into the RoS beta, but I'd much rather have gotten into Heroes. Having green text on the official forums hasn't helped me with it either :)

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly new to this and really enjoying myself, but I just have to ask; is it just me, or is there no benefit whatsoever to starting first? Your opponent will get an extra card (thus a larger chance at a good starting card/hand and more cards to replace if they don't get such a card/hand initially) and a mana coin, allowing them to play more expensive cards earlier. In addition to that, he or she has the opportunity to destroy your first play in their first turn if they are dealt a good card, therefore negating any actual advantage you might have had by starting first. It just feels like such a massive disadvantage to have to start first. Now, I know that they have to give the second starter something, but really, the mana coin alone is enough for that; no need to give them an extra card in their starting hand IMO...

Aylinato

As Druid I love going 2nd, however if I had a rush deck with good removal spells I'd rather go 1st because having the enemy waste two cards to have it removed it delicious.

Why? There is little reason to do so outside of homogenization of arena with constructed, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

This makes me a little sad... I got into the RoS beta, but I'd much rather have gotten into Heroes. Having green text on the official forums hasn't helped me with it either :)

Trust me I've never gotten into any alpha ever. Although I can get into pretty much any FPS beta I haven't had success in any blizzard betas(unless they are open)

It's my time to shine!

Minsc

Gold Member
When I see guys do that I quickly concede before they can get another action in. I don't know what quests you've got and I've got no time for guys who want to rub it in.

You must hate it when people queue up like 6 actions in a row instantly and make you sit there for an extra 15 seconds before your concede triggers. :p

I'm fairly new to this and really enjoying myself, but I just have to ask; is it just me, or is there no benefit whatsoever to starting first? Your opponent will get an extra card (thus a larger chance at a good starting card/hand and more cards to replace if they don't get such a card/hand initially) and a mana coin, allowing them to play more expensive cards earlier. In addition to that, he or she has the opportunity to destroy your first play in their first turn if they are dealt a good card, therefore negating any actual advantage you might have had by starting first. It just feels like such a massive disadvantage to have to start first. Now, I know that they have to give the second starter something, but really, the mana coin alone is enough for that; no need to give them an extra card in their starting hand IMO...

Even with the extra card + coin, going first still wins games more often... so they still don't have enough going second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom