• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Why do people defend this shit? People are getting charged and losing actual money for three days because of Blizzard's shitty authorization servers.

Fox1304

Contacted Apple for my billing problem. Hope I'll manage to get a refund... And if not ... hope Blizzard will give me the 11 * 7 packs I've bought :D

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So should i not be trying to buy Naxx with credit card info? Ive been trying last few mins and not getting through, would hate to be charged without receiving it.

Bizazedo

So should i not be trying to buy Naxx with credit card info? Ive been trying last few mins and not getting through, would hate to be charged without receiving it.

It didn't let me use a card.

Still queued for purchase. I fear for when they do a real expansion.

Minsc

Gold Member
It didn't let me use a card.

Still queued for purchase. I fear for when they do a real expansion.

A real expansion just uses the card pack buying tab at least, which afaik has never caused any issues since I've started playing before the open beta.

SeanR1221

Just started playing, and made it through a few characters on normal.

My question is, will this all hit me in the face when I eventually play online? I don't want to have to buy card packs, but I also don't want to just get crushed over and over.

Ultrabum

My question is, will this all hit me in the face when I eventually play online? I don't want to have to buy card packs, but I also don't want to just get crushed over and over.

You will probably get crushed over and over until you get a few cards. I would recommend looking up trump's free to play decks. You can watch him play them all the way up to legend without spending real money.

You will also probably be stuck to one deck for a while.

Also, rank like 17 and below is way easier than casual mode in my experience.

You don't have to buy packs. I only paid 20 bucks like a month or two after playing personally. I still consider myself to be a f2p player since I unlocked pretty much everything on my own time and effort anyway.

Just learn arena and play it as often as you can. In arena it doesn't matter if you have only basic cards unlocked. And you'll earn way more dust, cards, and gold than in constructed anyway. It sort of is like the casual mode imo and once you learn it pretty well then you can move on to constructed. You'll also earn a ton of cards to make your constructed deck stronger.

Logged out, back in, Naxx buy works, yeeey!

Yeah this was my experience. But some people on the forums have said they were charged without getting the unlock so they are waiting for refunds. Kinda sucks but shit happens.

Don't worry, so long as you're low ranked you'll be fined towards the middle and end of most ranked seasons.

Violet_0

Banned
finally, heroic Loatheb down
jwnSNSP.jpg

fun fact - the berserker wasn't buffed from the spores

I restarted until I got a inner rage + execute opening hand, drew two armor smiths in a row and took it from there

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Last ten attempts to purchase:

Purchase Failed - You have another transaction in progress
Purchase Failed - That item is not available
Waiting for Authorization

finally, heroic Loatheb down

fun fact - the berserker wasn't buffed from the spores

I restarted until I got a inner rage + execute opening hand, drew two armor smiths in a row and took it from there

Doing him now. Terrible design whoever did the heroic version. Concede 47 times to get an opening hand that doesn't result in you taking 10 damage turn 1.

inky

I would stop trying if I were you. In my experience when you get Waiting for Authorization you are actually charged (I was). Well, just gold, but still.

I'm just going to wait it out and wait for my refund.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I would stop trying if I were you. In my experience when you get Waiting for Authorization you are actually charged (I was). Well, just gold, but still.

The gold comes back quick, I'm trying every thirty minutes to an hour or so and it's always back.

You'd be crazy to trust them with your credit card number

Fox1304

The gold comes back quick, I'm trying every thirty minutes to an hour or so and it's always back.

You'd be crazy to trust them with your credit card number

Yep, listen to those guys, don't do like I did. Will be a pain in the ass to get everything back ...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I beat the heroic asshole (Loatheb) with this:

NzFQ6GN.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
Err, how the hell do I get 700g? :\ do I just need to play a LOT more?! :(

Worst case scenario is it takes 2 weeks and minimal effort to get 700 gold (all 40g quests), best case is you can get around 1,200 gold a week with 2x100g quests and 5x60 quests and 700 gold from the daily 30 wins. That's without arena, then best case is you can basically get an infinite amount of gold per week.

Seems like a viable option if you don't want to pay... plenty of people have saved up 3,000+ gold in anticipation of Naxx just by doing the dailies for over a month.

kirblar

Worst case scenario is it takes 2 weeks and minimal effort to get 700 gold (all 40g quests), best case is you can get around 1,200 gold a week with 2x100g quests and 5x60 quests and 700 gold from the daily 30 wins. That's without arena, then best case is you can basically get an infinite amount of gold per week.

Seems like a viable option if you don't want to pay... plenty of people have saved up 3,000+ gold in anticipation of Naxx just by doing the dailies for over a month.
I've got 4500-ish and I've not been playing for the past few months, just started stockpiling when Naxx was first announced.

Minsc

Gold Member
That's the current plan.

Have there been any more official tweets or whatever about it then? So the current plan is to have the expansion go in to the regular packs and mix the cards in to a single set (this would make getting the expansion's legendaries pretty tough since you'd have a 50%+ shot at opening a duplicate from the original set when you got one)? Wonder if they'll let people use the same dust, or make different colors/types of dust like we speculated in here a while back.

frequency

Depending on your ability and card collection, the effort I would say isn't minimal. And it is a lot of time grinding to save up enough gold to do this in comparison to other non-free-to-play games.

But like, say you have the easiest to do win 2 games quests and a 50% win rate. That's about 4 games. Assuming about 10 minutes a game its 40 minutes for 40g. If all you get are 40g quests it would take like 18 quests to get 700g, so 36 wins. If 50% win rate, 72 games. That's 720 minutes (12 hours) to unlock 1 wing.

Hearthstone is pretty good with grinding for a free to play game though. But it's still way more than you would do in like... Magic 2014 or something. Which, by the way, has more "PvE content" for $10 than Hearthstone does for $20 if that's what you care about. But that's another topic.

Heroic Loatheb finally down. The time it took restarting the fight for the right opening hand and first card draws was longer than all the other content in this wing combined. Truly stupid.

If they wanted the equivalence of that for a WoW raid, it would be "roll a 5 followed by a 7 and a 13" on a 20 sided die or it's an instant wipe.

Minsc

Gold Member
But like, say you have the easiest to do win 2 games quests. And a 50% win rate. That's about 4 games. Assuming about 10 minutes a game, 40 minutes for 40g. If all you get are 40g quests, it would take like 18 quests to get 700g. 36 wins. So if 50% win rate, 72 games. That's 720 minutes (12 hours) to unlock 1 wing.

Still averages to only ~45 mins per day in that example... if you enjoy the game that's not bad, and if you don't enjoy the game, why are you playing it, lol. Plus if the time issue is really what's getting to you, you could even stack 40g quests in one go, like win 2 priest/paladin + win 2 shaman/paladin or whatever, giving you ~90g for your 2 wins.

Hearthstone's PVE content is embarrassingly awful imo. In no way is it worth $20 or even close to it if you didn't play it mainly for the PVP.

Edit: Don't forget to include the 10g for 3 wins in your calculation too, it should only take ~15 40g quests, not 18. 15*40 = 600, 30 wins (to clear 15 quests) = 100 gold too... there's your 700.

I'm sure you could get the time commitment down to around 45 minutes once every ~3 days too (instead of ~45 mins per day) if you don't mind losing a couple extra days in the process.

Entropia

No One Remembers

That's the problem though, I jumped back when Naxx was released thinking I'd be able to do it. I had no idea until I saw some posts that the new wings would be phased in, and that they were behind a 'pay wall', so to speak.

I'll take the blame for this for not reading into it.

Violet_0

Banned
Have there been any more official tweets or whatever about it then? So the current plan is to have the expansion go in to the regular packs and mix the cards in to a single set (this would make getting the expansion's legendaries pretty tough since you'd have a 50%+ shot at opening a duplicate from the original set when you got one)? Wonder if they'll let people use the same dust, or make different colors/types of dust like we speculated in here a while back.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/29/hearthstone-curse-of-naxxramas-blizzard-interview/

PC Gamer: Are all future card releases going to be in this staggered, adventure format, or is there going to come a time when you could just drop 60 new cards into the pool in one hit?

Jason Chayes: We have a bunch of different ways that we're excited about releasing cards in the future. We're definitely keeping a close eye on how Naxxramas does and what the player response to that is. We feel excited about doing more adventures in the future, but beyond that we have other ideas to do more traditional expansions and even potentially other ways to release cards that we're still kind of in our earliest phases of design on. You can definitely expect to see other ways beyond adventures for putting out new cards.

Well Naxx was not was i was hoping for i got to say i am disappointed. When they said a Heartstone adventure and singel player content i thought it would be like a small adventure with a little map and some random encounters and bosses. Something you could grind to get more cards and if you are lucky gold or legendary cards.
This adventure we got is just a bossrush thats over in 30 to 50 min. I will still buy them all because i must collect the cards! but i cant help feeling like this is less then i expected.
Anyway what do you guys think of Naxx?

scy

I still think that they should have just had all the class unlocks up front as "preparation" for Naxx and then let you choose 3 classes to take into each Naxx wing. Kind of embrace the way the tournament scene is now and smooths out the class card unlocks. Plus, it means designing the decks with the content in mind so it can be a way to demonstrate deck concepts vs a "metagame" for players.

That aside, I think the concept of the Adventure modes is fine and I hope most the time spent wasn't on Naxx itself but more on all the underlying systems to push it out. Hopefully that means less time between these releases along with just better content to go with it. Right now, it's just sort of there as hoops to go through for the cards (and, truthfully, I'm not sure if that'll ever change for some players).

Do Better

I finished my first 12 win arena run last night with this deck.
Capture.png

My reward was a card pack, 250 gold, a golden Priestess of Elune, and a golden Equality. The pack had a golden Eaglehorn Bow, golden Earthen Ring Farseer, Bane of Doom, and a bad card that I can't remember.

frequency

Well Naxx was not was i was hoping for i got to say i am disappointed. When they said a Heartstone adventure and singel player content i thought it would be like a small adventure with a little map and some random encounters and bosses. Something you could grind to get more cards and if you are lucky gold or legendary cards.
This adventure we got is just a bossrush thats over in 30 to 50 min. I will still buy them all because i must collect the cards! but i cant help feeling like this is less then i expected.
Anyway what do you guys think of Naxx?

I feel the same way that you do about it.

I was hoping for an actual alternative mode to play.

Violet_0

Banned
so what do guys think of the minions from the new wing? My personal take: Unstable Ghoul might find a place in control warrior maybe, Stoneskin Gargoyle will probably not see play in constructed, Sludge Belcher isn't that great compared to Shieldmasta and Loatheb is overhyped. Webspinner gave me a whole bunch of mostly useless beasts in the challenge so I dunno about that one either

The pack had a golden Eaglehorn Bow

disenchant it if you still get the full dust value for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom