• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

Wait what?? You got a come up with some example.

Decks aim to deal more than 15 damage in one turn or have a board where they can reach over the Alex life reset. That's why nobody plays her anymore. She's way too slow and clunky just like Jaraxxus.

That's what legendaries are.

Yes which is why every deck has all the legendaries like Loatheb and pre-nerf Tink/Sylvanas rite :)

Lyng

Decks aim to deal more than 15 damage in one turn or have a board where they can reach over the Alex life reset. That's why nobody plays her anymore. She's way too slow and clunky just like Jaraxxus.

She is still on some warrior control and mage freeze decks I see. You mostly use her to cut down the enemy not to save yourselve.

NBtoaster

ROFL you should check some streams and play ladder. Loatheb is in 90% of the decks.

Its been 2 days. Eggs were in every deck last week too.

Nothing will be nerfed until long after Naxx anyway. More legendary 5 drops are coming to compete for the slot too.

zoukka

She is still on some warrior control and mage freeze decks I see. You mostly use her to cut down the enemy not to save yourselve.

Warrior has dropped her in general. In Freeze mage Alex is the win condition that's true, but it's a very specific slot.

Its been 2 days. Eggs were in every deck last week too.

Nothing will be nerfed until long after Naxx anyway. More legendary 5 drops are coming to compete for the slot too.

Eggs at least require other cards to synergize with :)

I don't think you thought about that too hard.

Well it is far too early to claim he is played in every deck. Decks can't easily just drop a card and throw a 5 drop into it.

And you can interact with it. I had a shaman hit mine with an 8 mana hex. It apparently wasn't a bad move. There are also a lot of pre-emptive solutions such as getting board control and leveraging it to minimize its impact a whole lot, which was my main point.

The card is 100% good for the game atm. I think blizzard really wanted to make the game more board control oriented and less about stalling forever while chipping away before droppping 15+ points of damage.

I don't think the card is too strong because of the simple fact that you play around him by fighting for board control with minions rather than purely removal. And BC decks aren't OP so we're heading into new territory imo.

I think it is very hard to predict precisely where we are going to end up atm.

zoukka

I don't think the card is too strong because of the simple fact that you play around him by fighting for board control with minions rather than purely removal. And BC decks aren't OP so we're heading into new territory imo.

Fighting for board control is not playing around anything. You fight for board control always. Loatheb does not sacrifice tempo or board control, on the contrary it can be a huge tempo swing because of the ability and the releveant body.

Again you people seem to think I'm saying the card wins you games alone. A card is OP and badly designed if it's an autoinclude in most decks and doesn't have weaknesses. Nothing punishes you from playing Loatheb.

Everyone playing Zoo

Zoo will never go away and I don't mind. We now have new cards that are very good against zoo. Belcher and Ghoul <3

So guys I finally got a legendary in card pack, it's the beast. I have 1300 dust. Should I dust the beast and get another legendary or should I keep the beast? Is it worthwhile and if so in which kind of deck? Thinking about crafting leeroy or rag. What do you think?

Ryan_

Anyone has any tips for a budget deck?

I'm slowly transitioning away from basic decks and have some more cards at my disposal
but my Trump f2p rogue is getting utterly destroyed today. I need some other options.

Or should I just jump ship and become a zookeeper?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How's everyone doin'?

Lyng

Again you people seem to think I'm saying the card wins you games alone. A card is OP and badly designed if it's an autoinclude in most decks and doesn't have weaknesses. Nothing punishes you from playing Loatheb.

But it is really not auto include in most decks. Not even close. If you pop this in every deck then your playing wrong.

Nothing punishes you from playing Sylvanas either.

Fighting for board control is not playing around anything. You fight for board control always. Loatheb does not sacrifice tempo or board control, on the contrary it can be a huge tempo swing because of the ability and the releveant body.

Zoo will never go away and I don't mind. We now have new cards that are very good against zoo. Belcher and Ghoul <3

I don't see how you think I think you are saying the card wins games alone.

And it isn't true that you always fight for board control. A lot of decks do not try to establish any kind of early board presence. If they even have low cost minion cards, their decks certainly are light on them. Loatheb can easily be countered by having a 3/2 minion on board and playing something as simple as a DID or abusive sergeant. Even just playing a taunt or card draw mitigates it largely.

It certainly isn't the first "sticky" or "removal resistant" minion and it isn't going to be the last either.

Spectral knight is arguably even better at sticking around due to a better stat allocation of 4/6 and can't be targetted.

Fuegen has more stats, 4/7. Sludge belcher has 4/7 stats total plus 2 taunts. Azure drake is classic. So that is an easy 5 cards all competing for a 5 mana slot on a deck. I don't think a taunt heavy deck is going to find loatheb better than 2 sludge belchers.

zoukka

So guys I finally got a legendary in card pack, it's the beast. I have 1300 dust. Should I dust the beast and get another legendary or should I keep the beast? Is it worthwhile and if so in which kind of deck? Thinking about crafting leeroy or rag. What do you think?

Dust it, there's no use for it.

Or should I just jump ship and become a zookeeper?

It's the cheapest best deck available. If you want to rank up cheap then zoo is great.

I don't see how you think I think you are saying the card wins games alone.

And it isn't true that you always fight for board control. A lot of decks do not try to establish any kind of early board presence. If they even have low cost minion cards, their decks certainly are light on them. Loatheb can easily be countered by having a 3/2 minion on board and playing something as simple as a DID or abusive sergeant. Even just playing a taunt or card draw mitigates it largely.

It certainly isn't the first "sticky" or "removal resistant" minion and it isn't going to be the last either.

Spectral knight is arguably even better at sticking around due to a better stat allocation of 4/6 and can't be targetted.

Fuegen has more stats, 4/7. Sludge belcher has 4/7 stats total plus 2 taunts. Azure drake is classic. So that is an easy 5 cards all competing for a 5 mana slot on a deck. I don't think a taunt heavy deck is going to find loatheb better than 2 sludge belchers.

I think your reasoning is full of holes. What decks play abusive, but don't flood the board? And yes a bigger taunt minion is good before Loatheb IF you went first or got the ramps. But it still isn't really "countered" at all, the ability is unavoidable and you can't punish a player for playing Loatheb.

And I have no idea why you are referring to Loatheb as a sticky minion? He is beyond "deal with it" like big taunts or deathrattles. Once Loatheb is played he has already done his damage. I don't care how you deal with him, you are not getting an efficient trade by any means and his battlecry is unavoidable. He's one of the best tempo cards in the game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You know what's more frustrating than freeze mages? Freeze mages in arena. Such fucking rng. What a load of bullshit.

Man just accept it that Arena is no longer the gold fountain it used to be. I'm just happy when I get 7 wins. And yes it's RNG-town.

So, is everyone finding Arena more difficult over the past month or so? I used to have around a 70% win rate (manually tracked this for about 3 months), but it has seriously fallen to barely a 50% win rate in the past month. I had planned to save for Naxx by earning gold in Arena, but with such a shitty win rate I had to switch to just quests and Ranked wins.

I think your reasoning is full of holes. What decks play abusive, but don't flood the board? And yes a bigger taunt minion is good before Loatheb IF you went first or got the ramps. But it still isn't really "countered" at all, the ability is unavoidable and you can't punish a player for playing Loatheb.

And I have no idea why you are referring to Loatheb as a sticky minion? He is beyond "deal with it" like big taunts or deathrattles. Once Loatheb is played he has already done his damage. I don't care how you deal with him, you are not getting an efficient trade by any means and his battlecry is unavoidable. He's one of the best tempo cards in the game.

I don't see how my reasoning is full of holes. I pointed out a couple ways to play around him. If you have board control your opponent may not even play loatheb since they can just trade 1:1 with him and either save their spells or just use a single spell to 1:1. They can make a 2 drop kill loatheb via abusive sergeant or dark iron dwarf. And yeah, decks are starting to run these even outside of zoolock because of the amount of token cards added to the game you often get value out of DID and he is still a pretty good value card. So yeah, that is an efficient trade. You're sacrificing a low mana card for a high mana card that is a one of. After that you don't need to worry about loatheb and can play accordingly.

You were saying he is like an automatic include into every deck but I seriously disagree with that. The battlecry is like every other battlecry, you can't prevent it from occuring. But you can mitigate and minimize its impact with proper positioning, just like many cards in the game are "countered".

As for being the best tempo card, I am not so sure about that. There are a lot of good tempo cards in the game. I think it is best used to protect board or prevent lethal or a devastating combo for a turn. Occasionally, like cairne, you'll drop it on an empty board and your opponent cannot deal with it. In those cases, sure it is a great tempo card that gets you strong board presence. You certainly get an advantage but by no means seal a win.

Lyng

Its actually quiet funny that you of all people complain about Loatheb.

As you yourselve mentioned earlier when talking about Alex, the meta had shiftet into Zoo and decks that gets you down around 15 health and then burst kills you.
Also a lot of people where complaining about the solitaire nature of the game when miracle was dominating.

Guess what, apart from Zoo, these other issues are adressed with Loatheb.

He can delay that one turn kill (I clearley remember you crying for druid nerfs, because of the combo) well that combo CAN now be delayed. Aswell as the mage combos.

However! Loatheb is not allways a good card. The most played and best deck for some time, and more so now then ever is Zoo. Against this deck Loatheb is absolute shite and does nothing. Against Zoo he is a dead card and playing him there is basically a wasted turn, and thus its dangerous to play him against Zoo.

Its actually quiet funny that you of all people complain about Loatheb.

As you yourselve mentioned earlier when talking about Alex, the meta had shiftet into Zoo and decks that gets you down around 15 health and then burst kills you.
Also a lot of people where complaining about the solitaire nature of the game when miracle was dominating.

Guess what, apart from Zoo, these other issues are adressed with Loatheb.

He can delay that one turn kill (I clearley remember you crying for druid nerfs, because of the combo) well that combo CAN now be delayed. Aswell as the mage combos.

However! Loatheb is not allways a good card. The most played and best deck for some time, and more so now then ever is Zoo. Against this deck Loatheb is absolute shite and does nothing. Against Zoo he is a dead card and playing him there is basically a wasted turn, and thus its dangerous to play him against Zoo.

Yeah, very true it isn't good against zoo. I haven't lost yet due to having him in hand... yet, but it is inevitable that I will get him in my opening hand and would to even have anything in its place lol. What am I gonna prevent, soulfire + mortal coil against him? Even stranglethorn tiger is a better 5 drop vs zoo imo.

zoukka

For the n'th time, I am not complaining about Loatheb, I am merely stating what I observe in the game and that has nothing to do with what I play. I know the card is overpowered and will get nerfed. I will use him in most of my decks now before that happens. Zoo is the only deck it doesn't work that well against. But still a 5 mana 5/5 is not the end of the world. Cairne and Sylvanas can be even more dead against zoo.

Lyng

For the n'th time, I am not complaining about Loatheb, I am merely stating what I observe in the game and that has nothing to do with what I play. I know the card is overpowered and will get nerfed. I will use him in most of my decks now before that happens. Zoo is the only deck it doesn't work that well against. But still a 5 mana 5/5 is not the end of the world. Cairne and Sylvanas can be even more dead against zoo.

I would argue taht Cairne and Sylvanas are amazing against Zoo.

Yoshichan

Is a golden legendary that gets nerfed/buffed worth 6400 dust?

zoukka

I would argue taht Cairne and Sylvanas are amazing against Zoo.

No they are too slow. They are nice if you have forced the zoo player to just trade, but if they are already ahead on board and life, you are pretty sad to have to play Cairne on turn 6.

Minsc

Gold Member
Is a golden legendary that gets nerfed/buffed worth 6400 dust?

Cards that are changed are worth their crafting cost in dust... afaik there are no cards that cost 6400 dust to craft :)

If a PVE adventure card gets nerfed, there's even a chance no one will get anything from it since you can't dust them (unless maybe you can dust the goldens only, then people who crafted golden Loatheb's could get their dust back if it becomes unplayable for them after the nerf... but again I don't even know if you can dust a golden Naxx card).

It won't work well against my deck either since I'll just take it out with my pre-established board and then probably develop the board more. And I am running rogue.

Lyng

No they are too slow. They are nice if you have forced the zoo player to just trade, but if they are already ahead on board and life, you are pretty sad to have to play Cairne on turn 6.

Not really if you put a protector on cairne he hurts zoo alot

Yoshichan

Cards that are changed are worth their crafting cost in dust... afaik there are no cards that cost 6400 dust to craft :)

If a PVE adventure card gets nerfed, there's even a chance no one will get anything from it since you can't dust them (unless maybe you can dust the goldens only, then people who crafted golden Loatheb's could get their dust back if it becomes unplayable for them after the nerf... but again I don't even know if you can dust a golden Naxx card).
Right! Here's what I thought:

Legendary cost = 1600. If it gets nerfed, you can sell it for 3200.
Golden legendary cost = 3200. If it gets nerfed, you can sell it for 6400.

Oh well :(

Good luck with that.

Yep, I'll just use DID to buff a low cost minion up to 5 attack and I'll trade up while developing board. Not sure why you think this won't work. My deck is 2/3rds minions anyway. I made this deck specifically because it is synergizes well with the new cards and against the new cards and we still don't even have spectral knight which imo is even stronger than loatheb with exception to miracle/freeze decks.

zoukka

I hope the Naxx level and music get added to play mode and arena at some point...

Yep, I'll just use DID to buff a low cost minion up to 5 attack and I'll trade up while developing board. Not sure why you think this won't work. My deck is 2/3rds minions anyway. I made this deck specifically because it is synergizes well with the new cards and against the new cards and we still don't even have spectral knight which imo is even stronger than loatheb with exception to miracle/freeze decks.

Yep some decks are more resilient to him, I don't know what more to add to that. He's still gonna be awesome against you if you play 10 spells.

Lyng

Yes, you've spent 8 mana on a 4/5 taunt that a 1-drop can trade against. :)

At that point he will most likely have used his buffers allready.
I am not saying it is a great play, but it certainly does more then a Loatheb against Zoo.

Yoshichan

When the final wing has been released and you beat it, a message will prompt: "Did you enjoy the music and stages in Naxxramas? Click here to obtain it in multiplayer games! Only $9.99!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom