• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a lot of games with that Sjow warrior I've found that it just doesn't have enough damage versus heavy control decks. The taunt druids and suddenly-very-popular-priests just fatigue me out every game. I'm creaming zoo and aggro decks but the heavy control matches are just so slow and I never get the opportunity to put any real hurt on them.

Overall I'm a little disappointed with only a 60% win rate at these 15-17 ranks. So far 44% of my opponents have been druid...

I swapped an inventor for Ysera, I think that might do the trick. I'll try it out tomorrow.

I swapped Rag for Alex for that exact reason and I've been doing better with that deck. It's more of a defensive deck early on with Loatheb, Sylvanas and Cairne serving as your main mid-game threats. Alex/Grommash gives you an end-game when all else has failed.

Dammit, I'm just not getting any of the cards I need from packs. Would like to get even one epic or leg before I start burning dust towards some deck. Even considering going for Control Warrior but I don't have Rag, Grom, Cairne and one Shield Slam. Can afford 2 legs plus a little extra.

Funny game I played with my warrior joke deck (weapons, damage, and things that like weapons and damage). Note the Freezing Trap up there, the double upgraded Arcanite down to its last swing (plus Heroic Strike for the win) and the friggin' huge dinosaur. I don't think I've seen anyone play a Krush before. This was like Jurassic Park starring Arnold Schwartzenegger.

LUbNmzql.jpg

5FTzv3dl.jpg

Same warrior deck with a Naxx facelift. Pictured: the standard double Frothing, double Unstable Ghoul, Egg opening. Opponent conceded after I started swinging dat Heavy Axe, before I could upgrade it to be even more OP.

Gaa1ABYl.jpg

Whenever I run strong weapons in rogue it gets oozed or I don't draw deadly poison with assassin's blade :(

hmm yeah. even in a zoo matchup rag and alex are almost equally dead cards in your hand. and assuming you do make it to turn 9 that heal to 15 could be clutch.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I've gotten krush a couple of times from my webspinners. it's actually kind of bad when it happens because it's a kinda shitty card.
I really wish King Krush had trample at least. If any card in hearthstone deserves to have trample that is the one.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
'twas fun guys :)!

Have a great time everyone!

For those who've beaten Anub'Rekhan on heroic difficulty, what deck did you use?

I've beaten all of them apart from that one

Those 4/4 spiders just get out of control -_-

I used a Rogue deck. Betrayal allows you to use the pile up of 4/4s against him. You can take out two of them with one cast. Combo an Eviscerate with Betrayal, and you've cleared three of them with two cards and 4 mana. Sap is also helpful for removing that 2/8 taunt. Assassin's Blade and Deadly Poison allows you to kill one per swing or do 5 damage to face. Other than that, just stack your deck with minions with at least 4 attack and >4 health. Some suggestions: Chillwind Yeti, Darkscale Healer, Spiteful Smith (combos with Assassin's Blade), Sunwalker (can clear three of the 4/4 Nerubians), Lord of the Arena, and Boulderfist Ogre. Giants are helpful, if you have them.

Edit: Ah, I see you already got it done.

FirLocke

MOmnBL3.jpg

My first 12 win run in Arena. :"D I feel like I've accessed a higher echelon of society or something. It's been a long time coming.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Literally the only deck im winning on is Handlock, but its winning most games.

Man I lost like 9 in a row with Hunter/Druid

Water

Whenever I run strong weapons in rogue it gets oozed or I don't draw deadly poison with assassin's blade :(

Clearly those are problems caused by
  • Puny rogue "weapons"
  • Not enough weapons
  • Failing to play warrior
My warrior deck might not beat many serious decks, but by Grom's beard, it will not run out of weapons due to an Ooze or two. A Ragnaros hits the field when I have an Arcanite out and no direct damage? No problem! *play Gorehowl on top, Upgrade, smash Rag, take a moment to admire all the weapons still in hand*

I've gotten rid of Ragnaros in all my decks. It's sad since he is such a nice card but waaaay too slow.

I like ragnaros for rogue, but the problem is the best decks it is good against all have strong counters to it.

I mainly like it for warrior control and sometimes druid and priest but seriously what is the point half the time lol... only reliable on an empty board and then it is removed cheap and the match swings.

I don't have the removal bait in this deck so it is hard to get more than 1 shot off and I absolutely hate it when it hits the wrong target lol...

I also removed leeroy so it ends up my deck is decent against midrange and aggro but kinda sucks vs control if I don't get my card draws I just run out of steam. Can't wait for spectral knight though :)

Blizzard is such a shitty company. Still no fix!

Actually, the problem is that Blizzard is too good, thus too many people play their games.

Also, I don't know if this is still true, the HearthStone team is pretty small. You'd think they'd have extra people help them out, but maybe all extra hands are working on WoD.(WoW Expac

--

Additionally, I need help with a shaman deck. I have six cards that are on reserve, Leeroy / Al'Akir / Ancestral Spirit / Rebirth, and I'm not really sure what else to put in there. Was there ever such a thing as Midrange Shaman? The two types of decks that come to mind are the token shaman and the Crusher Shaman. It just feels like switching out those six cards hurts the goal behind the two decks to much.

Current decks I've tried.

Going to try a Crusher type deck next and see how that fares. Any help is appreciated!

I also still want to make Farsight work, but I'm not as good at counting cards, or whatever, that I thought I would be.

I hate shamans and their feral spirits... Once upon a time ago I thought those cards aren't that good.

Now I feel like if they play them early or late, doesn't matter they are value cards against me.

edit:

I guess hunter is a good class to counter the current amount of shamans I am seeing.

edit2:
FFS seriously, perfect totems 3 times in a row on the first couple turns...

ShinNL

Actually, the problem is that Blizzard is too good, thus too many people play their games.

Also, I don't know if this is still true, the HearthStone team is pretty small. You'd think they'd have extra people help them out, but maybe all extra hands are working on WoD.(WoW Expac

--

Additionally, I need help with a shaman deck. I have six cards that are on reserve, Leeroy / Al'Akir / Ancestral Spirit / Rebirth, and I'm not really sure what else to put in there. Was there ever such a thing as Midrange Shaman? The two types of decks that come to mind are the token shaman and the Crusher Shaman. It just feels like switching out those six cards hurts the goal behind the two decks to much.

Current decks I've tried.

Going to try a Crusher type deck next and see how that fares. Any help is appreciated!

I also still want to make Farsight work, but I'm not as good at counting cards, or whatever, that I thought I would be.
What do you mean if there's a thing as midrange Shaman? All the deck variations you tried are midrange. If you want a taste of control, Crusher is an okay start but that one is still pretty scared to deviate.

But if you want to make farsight work, I have just the deck for that: giants Shaman. I'm still tweaking it but if you search my earlier posts you can find an early screenshot of the deck. It has since already gone through some changes and I got some things I want to try when I get home, so still WIP. Now THAT is actually pure control and not midrange.

Jrmint

I hate shamans and their feral spirits... Once upon a time ago I thought those cards aren't that good.

Now I feel like if they play them early or late, doesn't matter they are value cards against me.

edit:

I guess hunter is a good class to counter the current amount of shamans I am seeing.
If you're able to clear the feral spirits the same turn they out them out it really puts them behind. The next turn they'll only have 2 mana (or 1 if they coined them) so it really gives you the tempo advantage. I know it can be hard to clear 2 2/3s on turn 3 or 4 though.

What do you mean if there's a thing as midrange Shaman? All the deck variations you tried are midrange. If you want a taste of control, Crusher is an okay start but that one is still pretty scared to deviate.

But if you want to make farsight work, I have just the deck for that: giants Shaman. I'm still tweaking it but if you search my earlier posts you can find an early screenshot of the deck. It has since already gone through some changes and I got some things I want to try when I get home, so still WIP. Now THAT is actually pure control and not midrange.

I guess my thought was that midrange was a term for a curve around 4-6, where as I thought I had decks with a lower curve, but I suppose that's just me misunderstanding the term. I'll check out your giants deck though, sounds really promising.

If you're able to clear the feral spirits the same turn they out them out it really puts them behind. The next turn they'll only have 2 mana (or 1 if they coined them) so it really gives you the tempo advantage. I know it can be hard to clear 2 2/3s on turn 3 or 4 though.

Sure, I try to get a 3/3 on board so I can do that in combination with my deadly poison usually.

But then this match he just plays two back to back almost. I am honestly not sure if I would rather see feral spirits early or late.

Violet_0

Banned
I guess my thought was that midrange was a term for a curve around 4-6, where as I thought I had decks with a lower curve, but I suppose that's just me misunderstanding the term. I'll check out your giants deck though, sounds really promising.

mid-range decks pretty much hit their power spike at turn 4-6, yeah. If you intend to play giants that's more of a late game control deck

Kenaras

Midrange Shaman is by far the most common Shaman build; Crusher and Token are niche. There isn't really a standard decklist the way there is for some decks, but they're all quite similar. The most common build is the Doomhammer + Al'Akir one; pre-Naxx it looked something like this:

2x Argent Squire
2x Earth Shock
2x Lightning Bolt
2x Rockbiter Weapon
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
2x Flametongue Totem
2x Feral Spirit
1x Harvest Golem
2x Hex
2x Lightning Storm
1x Mana Tide Totem
2x Unbound Elemental
2x Defender of Argus
2x Azure Drake
1x Doomhammer
1x Argent Commander
2x Fire Elemental
1x Al'Akir the Windlord

I'm currently running a variation on this, with -1 Unbound Elemental, -1 Mana Tide Totem, +1 Gnomish Inventor, +1 Loatheb. Of course, if you're looking to play with Reincarnate combos Crusher Shaman is probably a better starting point than Midrange Shaman.

TimeKillr

I had an idea for a stupid deck, and I wonder what you guys would think. It's stupidly gimmicky and is sort of a Frost Mage but with a Priest instead -

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...;479:2;525:1;554:2;597:2;600:2;7749:2;7757:2;

Essentially, the goal is to play turn 9 Alex -> Turn 10 +1 spellpower (either Geomancer or Thalnos) + Mind Blast x2 + Holy Smite for 15 damage. Everything else (and I mean *everything*) is taunts with a lot of life, Clerics for draw, and 2 Divine Spirits to make some of these taunts last a bit longer if not to bait removal.

I'm pretty sure it would suck since it doesn't have enough card draw and no removal barring 2 Holy Fires for extra self healing. The thing is too if someone sees a Shieldbearer turn 1 they start to get *very* scared of facing an 8/8 on turn 2 so they'll focus whatever they can on destroying it just because it's scary. Same for Wardens on turn 4 - their goal isn't to actually damage but just to delay the opponent as *much* as possible. Abominations are there to counter stuff like Zoo (same with Unstable Gouls).

I'm really doubtful it would work, but I sort of like the concept of it. I'm not sure what to do with it, however - I think it definitely needs more draw to ensure getting Alex and the other cards needed, so the goal is to have large HP taunts I can continually heal and heal for draw.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
The problem with farsight is there is always too much of a risk that you lose out on total mana. If you farsight and pull a lightning bolt your opponent is now 2 mana up on you. It's like you gave them a free innervate.

And even when it does work, it doesn't give you a total mana advantage.

And it doesn't really work for tempo because you have to completely sacrifice your current tempo to maaaybe gain an advantage later.

In almost every case I can think of mana tide totem is just better. Both draw you a card. Both cost 3 mana. But mana tide will probably force your opponent to expend more mana than the discount you get from farsight.

All that said, once reincarnation comes out I have been designing a reincarnation combo deck where I was planning to run 2 mana tide but will test out 1 farsight in place of 1 mana tide. The reason I think it miiiight have a place in that deck is because it will be a combo deck rather than mid-range and the bigger 'combo turn' the better. But also because it will be a slower deck I plan to run 2x lightning storm and 2x pyromancer for board clear and farsight itself procs pyromancer in addition to maybe providing 0 mana spells to proc pyromancer with later (which again is farsight working because it is a combo deck)

In summary, I think farsight maybe, maybe has a place in combo decks and never in any other kind of shaman deck.

In summary, I think farsight maybe, maybe has a place in combo decks and never in any other kind of shaman deck.

That is what I was thinking too. If you can get any of your combo cards cheaper, or something like Hex or Earthshock, then it's well worthwhile. But I suppose there are just to many other cards in any combo deck for that to be a good bargain.

However, it's is probably the most hype card I've used in a while.

Violet_0

Banned

FStop7

Banned
One of Blizzard's most common comments in patch notes about nerfs is their desire to have "big fun monsters" on the board. Yet the game keeps moving further and further away from that. At this point I feel like most cards that cost more than 5 mana are too slow.

I just played priest and conceded until I got shield bearer and shadow word pain in my opening hand.

I beat Loatheb on Heroic with a super cheap Zoo deck. Almost all 1s, couple of 2s, anything with charge. Wisp. Soulfires.

Then I accidentally took that deck into constructed and got my ass handed to me. I imagine my opponent must have been wondering WTF I was smoking when I started dropping the Wisps and Goldshire Footmen, LOL.

regarding some earlier posts, it seems Alex is so bad that she's in the #1 EU deck
http://i.imgur.com/IkdOScO.png
http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/2cbp8n/thijsnl_legend_1_eu_with_warrior_s4/
pretty similar to my control warrior deck actually, aside from the fact that I run 2x Kor'kron and Berserkers

I did :(
Spectral Knight, where are you

The meta has already slowed down quite a bit. I am not even seeing a lot of zoo tbh. I mean, it is still there but not nearly as much as usual at the start of a season.

I've been mostly facing shamans and only winning about half of those and the ones I lose I feel bad cause it is the coin flips and feral spirits that do me in lol.

So I made a deck that runs less minions on the board at a time to lessen the impact of lightning storm at least =/

edit:
Well I guess zoolocks are probably stuck at lower ranks like 20+ atm so maybe that is it.

scy

regarding some earlier posts, it seems Alex is so bad that she's in the #1 EU deck

Alex will almost never be irrelevant as an offensive tool. She's bad defensively, sure, but I don't really think anyone sees her as a defensive boon much these days. Being forced to use her that way means you're probably fucked to begin with :x

Violet_0

Banned
got a gold malygos (my first golden legendary in roughly 9 months of playing) on my brand new NA account after only 10 packs. Wish I had gotten him on my other account with pretty much all the legendaries so I wouldn't have to disenchant him :(

Got gifted a nice bit of Hearthstone credit, so got to OPEN SOME PACKS BABY.

Highlights:
Ancient of War (great since I play Ramp and only had one)
Ancient of Lore x2 (same)
Gold Eaglehorn Bow (ALL THE DUST!)
King Krush
King Mukla
Bloodmage Thalnos
Gold Tirion (which means GOLD ASHBRINGER!)

Also got enough dust for Sylvanas and Cairne.

People still having trouble buying packs? got mine instantly (yay 45 dust)

edit:
LOL just bought a second pack and I got a gold black knight, yay.... not sure if I want to dust it or the original. I do still want legendary cards.

People still having trouble buying packs? got mine instantly (yay 45 dust)

edit:
LOL just bought a second pack and I got a gold black knight, yay.... not sure if I want to dust it or the original. I do still want legendary cards.

Well, if you dust the gold, you get any legendary you want apart from the Naxx ones. Ask yourself if there's one that would improve your favourite decks. The normal one will get you enough dust for an Epic, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom