• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miletius

I created a combo shaman deck that I have been toying with. Not the best yet considering I've been sitting at rank 5 with a 50% win rate but is a lot of fun to play:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...2;636:2;335:1;7738:2;7740:1;280:2;33:1;674:1;

Been playing something similar, and will take your advice about the unbound elementals. Off the top of my head, Deathrattle shaman is a lot of fun, but I feel like I'm having trouble making the right choices. It's an amazing combo deck, I don't know if it's competitive at high levels though (I am certainly not a high level player)

Flayer

I remember playing once when I was super tired and played Savage Roar before Force of Nature. I stared at the screen, closed Hearthstone and went to bed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Whoops. I meant to play Truesilver and I played Equality instead. Biggest mistake I've done probably ever.

That sucked. Happens all the time on my (RIP) iPad :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The board is clear.

The opponent puts a 1-1 on the table.

I can either Druid hero power him or Wrath (and gain a card).

This situation happens all the time and I'm always confused what I should be doing. I end up Wrathing because... well, cards. But is that really efficient or should I just hero power and use Wrath later on to 1-health-reduce bigger creatures?

Strider

The board is clear.

This situation happens all the time and I'm always confused what I should be doing. I end up Wrathing because... well, cards. But is that really efficient or should I just hero power and use Wrath later on to 1-health-reduce bigger creatures?

I typically save the wrath. More versatile since it can deal 3 damage if you need it to as well.

Edit: you on mumble!?!?!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I would generally only wrath in that situation if my hand was absolutely terrible. Whenever that situation comes up, you're asking yourself if having a random card from your deck in your hand is better than wrath in hand right now. And wrath is a good early game card so the answer is usually no.

zoukka

The board is clear.

Don't wrath a vanilla 1/1 dood, unless your hand is absolute trash.

frequency

The board is clear.

I would Hero Power. The only time I would Wrath is if my hand is terrible.

Yoshichan

Thanks guys!

InvisibleStride, I was on Mumble for the longest time but I bailed :( Gotta focus on the game!

slayn

Another way to make this even more obvious is:
Did you keep wrath in your opening hand instead of mulliganing it away? If so, that means you want wrath in your hand in the early game.
If you then spend it to cycle on a 1/1 dude, it's as if you chose to mulligan it. This represents an inconsistency of your evaluation of wrath.

If you're going to keep it but then immediately throw it away, why keep it in the first place?

This is, of course, all early game talk. If you're top decking and wrath is your only card in hand then of course you cycle it on a 1/1. Because late in the game a random card from your deck becomes better than wrath.

Yoshichan

> Gets burnt on one fucking card against a freeze mage.
> Loatheb

Causes me to lose.
Of couuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurse.
Yoshichan, did you break that iPad you posted?
:(...

Yoshichan

That's enough :3

Getting paladin itch... someone, stop me...

KgqL0mc.jpg

Had one of my better matches in a while. Druid had me down to 2 health. I had an Armorsmith on the field used faceless on that. Alex restored me to 15 and I eventually played a Unstable Ghoul with Rivendare. Dude conceded not too long after he saw me charge my Ghoul into his Spectral Knight and essentially shoot back up to 30 health. Lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The board is clear.

Wrath at one damage is just a more expensive mortal coil. Wrath at three damage is a lightning bolt. Save it to deal three damage or when you have something that's like a magma rager-like spread.

You should only 1 dmg wrath a 1-2 manner minion if your hand is hot garbage.

zoukka

Man playing hunter is so depressing in zoo meta.

On the other hand, using King Krush is just amazeballs every time. Dat scream when you attack with him :3

traveler

Not Wario
Shaman was always my favorite class, but it's a ton of fun with Reincarnate/Rivendere now. A guy just made the mistake of letting Baron live for a turn, so I dropped down Cairne, gave him ancestral spirit, and reincarnated him the following turn, leaving me with 3 Cairnes and 2 Baines. GG'd on the spot.

Another time I handlock had actually successfully gotten one of his giants to stick but I put up one of the new 3/5 taunters alongside Rivendere and a egg I already had out and gave him ancestral spirit. The warlock ran a sunfury protector into the 3/5, dropping him to 3 and then hellfired for some reason. (hitting it with the giant would have resulted in the same health loss for the giant so I don't know what he was trying to avoid) My board after the fact?
1 Baron Rivendere, 2 4/4 spider tokens, 2 3/5 taunting aboms, and 2 1/2 oozes with taunt. Naxx cards are so much fun; this is basically the closest the game gets to a momentary blink deck from mtg.

Also, other applications of reincarnate- killing an opponents buffed dancing swords to debuff it and cycle a card, and hitting a handlock's 4/9 drake with it so that it defaults back to 4/1 and you can trade your searing totem (or any other 1/1) for it.

Water

I drafted this ridiculous thing just now, after going 9-3 with a considerably weaker pala deck. Out of sight: Blessing of Wisdom and Blessing of Might.

vBhGCZL.png

Towards the end I wasn't sure if I can afford to take the Champion versus Mad Bomber since I'm short on good 2-drops. Greed won and the Champion is in.

Yoshichan

Dunno what I'm doing wrong against control warriors. If I wouldn't know any better, I'd call them out for being overpowered as living shit and statistically impossible to beat with my deck.

Tacitus_

Dunno what I'm doing wrong against control warriors. If I wouldn't know any better, I'd call them out for being overpowered as living shit and statistically impossible to beat with my deck.

Which is? I've gone 3-0 against them with the deck I linked for you.

Yoshichan

slayn

Do you know the idea behind the deck?
I've not seen it but it sounds like aggro paladin with divine favor. Dancing swords makes sense because with divine favor you want your opponent to draw cards. And Tirion is probably just thrown in because he's just too good and the weapon helps you burn them down. Probably experimenting with it in preparation for the new avenge secret which might swing the deck back to popularity.

I remember when webspinner was first revealed, I was discussing it on bnet forums and all these people kept saying I was wrong and it is a bad card that has no place in a hunter deck. That it is too rng to rely upon and loot hoarder is better cause it digs into your deck. Skip forward to now, every hunter deck is running 2 of them... lmao... for pretty much the exact reasoning I gave as to why it is good.

I kinda like how midrange hunter deck operates. I've always wanted to play hunter more but I did not like how midrange operated tbh in the past.

Also, maybe after naxx is out completely we should get a gaf tournament going. Pick four classes. Choose to ban 1. No card restrictions, no specific card lock ins, and best of 3 :)

frequency

I like Webspinner because I generally like RNG. I think RNG makes Hearthstone more fun. If every game played the same way it would be boring.

Also Hunter has no really good 1 drops so...
Playing a Flare or Tracking on turn 1 is never an exciting play.

I don't know how good the card actually is power-wise. But it's just fun.

scy

I remember when webspinner was first revealed, I was discussing it on bnet forums and all these people kept saying I was wrong and it is a bad card that has no place in a hunter deck. That it is too rng to rely upon and loot hoarder is better cause it digs into your deck. Skip forward to now, every hunter deck is running 2 of them... lmao... for pretty much the exact reasoning I gave as to why it is good.

I remember my argument being just about the consistency of the effect since there's 28 outcomes and a good amount aren't "ideal." Then again, it's a free card so "ideal" isn't that relevant. A decent "just play it" card otherwise, though.

CoolOff

Webspinner RNG is good RNG. It's something better players will know how to leverage better, as opposed to something like Arcane Missiles.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't understand how one is supposed to leverage Webspinner's RNG.

The variance is just far higher than Arcane Missiles.

Xanathus

I don't understand how one is supposed to leverage Webspinner's RNG.

The variance is just far higher than Arcane Missiles.
The point isn't that you rely on getting a good card from Webspinner, it's that its a 1 drop 1/1 that gives you a card that is guaranteed to be a beast and you can use it with Buzzard and Kill Command. It's very good for a 1 mana card.

Haly

What if it's Core Hound?

I mean, it's a fine card, but to claim that there is some sort of trick behind making the most of its RNG is silly. It's no different than drawing another card, only you can't control the quality of the cards you draw from. Like Thoughtsteal, Mind Vision, or Ysera.

Yoshichan

Haven't slept in 42 hours now... not even feeling tired at this point.

Continuation of todays progress...

Druid, 66 wins
Mage, 18 wins
Paladin, 9 wins

Question time!

Alright so I get that every control druid deck should contain two Ancient of Wars... but why is this the optimal choice, instead of Ironbark Protector? Ancient of Wars is almost always a 5-10, but can get silenced in which it becomes a 5-5. The Ironbark Protector will always be 8-8, silenced or not. The only real advantage here is that AoW costs 1 less mana and that you potentially get 2 more health... but considering that everyone is running silences now, isn't it worth switching the AoWs for Ironbarks instead?

xrjNgAj.png
lUjBIaE.jpg

scy

Well, wording it like there's a "trick" to the RNG is a bit misleading. It's still an RNG draw. It's more just that Webspinner gives a non-conditional Beast play for Hunter so it covers some missing bases. The fact it gives you an extra minion card, regardless of the quality of the minion, is a nice bonus.

Well, unless it's Angry Chicken.

ViviOggi

Haven't slept in 42 hours now... not even feeling tired at this point.

Continuation of todays progress...

Druid, 66 wins
Mage, 18 wins
Paladin, 9 wins

Question time!

Alright so I get that every control druid deck should contain two Ancient of Wars... but why is this the optimal choice, instead of Ironbark Protector? Ancient of Wars is almost always a 5-10, but can get silenced in which it becomes a 5-5. The Ironbark Protector will always be 8-8, silenced or not. The only real advantage here is that AoW costs 1 less mana and that you potentially get 2 more health... but considering that everyone is running silences now, isn't it worth switching the AoWs for Ironbarks instead?

xrjNgAj.png
lUjBIaE.jpg

Big_Game_Hunter%2873%29.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Webspinner is good for the some of the same reasons that boar is good. Its a cheap beast that synergizes well with other hunter cards. You can't just directly compare it with loot hoarder or arcane missiles because that card only makes sense in a hunter deck. It doesn't exist just to have something to throw out on Turn 1.

Haly

I think the only reason it's playable is because Hunters needed more cheap beasts who aren't bad (lol Raptor, Croc and Stonetusk), and Webspinner is basically a Loot Hoarder for Hunters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom