• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

Braindead Hunter plays a fucking naked Leeroy on 4, I can either take 12 by hitting it with my axe or go for a 25% Brawl... guess what survived.

CoolOff

Well, wording it like there's a "trick" to the RNG is a bit misleading. It's still an RNG draw. It's more just that Webspinner gives a non-conditional Beast play for Hunter so it covers some missing bases. The fact it gives you an extra minion card, regardless of the quality of the minion, is a nice bonus.

Well, unless it's Angry Chicken.

Chicken >>>>> Captain's Parrot.

scy

I think the only reason it's playable is because Hunters needed more cheap beasts who aren't bad (lol Raptor, Croc and Stonetusk), and Webspinner is basically a Loot Hoarder for Hunters.

Was going to edit that in but, yeah. If Webspinner's effect was on a higher costed minion, it wouldn't really be (as) relevant. Being a 1cc that Hunter can just throw down and not really care about losing is a pretty big deal for them.

Chicken >>>>> Captain's Parrot.

parrot op

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Big_Game_Hunter%2873%29.png

How... how could I not have remembered this... I must be tired. Thanks for reminding me :p That solves all my questions!

Tacitus_

Well, wording it like there's a "trick" to the RNG is a bit misleading. It's still an RNG draw. It's more just that Webspinner gives a non-conditional Beast play for Hunter so it covers some missing bases. The fact it gives you an extra minion card, regardless of the quality of the minion, is a nice bonus.

Well, unless it's Angry Chicken.

Hey, don't diss the chicken. You could get some hilarious plays with him + houndmaster. Captain's parrot on the other hand...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/hearthstone.gamepedia.com/5/56/Big_Game_Hunter%2873%29.png?version=b32966a77d0f7db48afa643ef0da18b3

Its also a lot easier to remove 8 health than 10 health. Ancient of War exists to help shut down decks like zoo, and the extra 2hp could mean a whole extra minion. There are many more minions and spells that do 4 attack than 5 attack. Ironbark is overkill for minion trading. It suffers the same problem that cards like booty bay bodyguard and Lord of the Arena do. Taunts exist to force your opponent to make bad trades. And if you overbudget on the attack, than you are overkilling those minions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's been saying "Can't get more gold today" for like 30 wins now... in how many hours does it reset? Is it the same time as when the dailies reset?

rac

Banned
It's been saying "Can't get more gold today" for like 30 wins now... in how many hours does it reset? Is it the same time as when the dailies reset?

You can borrow my account for a bit if you want.

edit: Actually nvm, you might rage delete cards.

Yoshichan

Yes. Let us both have empty hands and roll out the double fucking Harvest Golem from my top deck when there's 7 cards remaining and I've got fattie taunts and Ysera in there somewhere.

Fuck you, rng.

Aylinato

My druid deck,

Naturalize x2
Innervates x2
Dancing swords x2
Dread lord x2
Cold light oracle x2
Swipe x2
Starfall x2
Starfire x1 (the 6 mana 1 draw)
Druid of the claw x2
Poison seeds x1
Ancient of war x2
Ancient of lore x2
Healing touch x1
Druid 2/4 one x2
Wraith x2

It's really fun, complicated to play, I may change out the healing touch idk yet

Tacitus_

Yes. Let us both have empty hands and roll out the double fucking Harvest Golem from my top deck when there's 7 cards remaining and I've got fattie taunts and Ysera in there somewhere.

Fuck you, rng.

Go to bed Yoshi. You're at the gold cap, been awake for two days and it's almost midnight there.

Yoshichan

Go to bed Yoshi. You're at the gold cap, been awake for two days and it's almost midnight there.
I'll be fine... as long as there's zoo out there, I have a duty to accomplish.

edit: on a second thought, I just did the biggest fucking mistake and I'm sure it's because of brain shenanigans...

Yoshichan

I just realized how long 500 wins in ranked actually takes... all this time I've played this session and only at 69 :lol Not even 1/5th there... I'll never earn any of the golden portraits... as soon as I get around 100 wins, I switch to another class :(

rac

Banned
I just realized how long 500 wins in ranked actually takes... all this time I've played this session and only at 69 :lol Not even 1/5th there... I'll never earn any of the golden portraits... as soon as I get around 100 wins, I switch to another class :(

Are you legend yet?

Yoshichan

Are you legend yet?

I will never reach Legend (yes, this is my way of tricking my brain into thinking that I'll never get to Legend rank because that way, I will never end up disappointed and angry at myself).

johnsmith

remember me
What's the best control paladin deck out there right now pre-rank 5? I tried tides's taunt heavy version, but the spectral knights seemed underwhelming in the rush heavy lower ranks. They always just stay in my hand and I would rather play spells or taunts. Considering unstable ghouls as a replacement and better early game presence and while they'd work great with equality and the acolytes, I'm worried about them backfiring against my hero power.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's really fun, complicated to play, I may change out the healing touch idk yet

If you're gonna mill you might as well go the whole nine yards. Get Mukla/Cho/brewmasters. Otherwise I don't think you're gonna consistently burn your opponent's cards.

I wonder why paladin doesn't run captain greenskin.

Imagine...

turn 4 truesilver champion, remove a minion
turn 4 your opponent plays a 5 hp minion in response, or even another 4 or less
turn 5 you play captain greenskin, giving you a 5/4 and basically a free removal with the weapon

It is like greenskin's text is "if you have a weapon equipped, remove a minion of X or less hp but take damage from its attack"

I thought of this due to deathbiter coming out and whether greenskin may be ran with that kind of deck and I don't see why not. So I am wondering why paladins don't run it. Perhaps they don't since they usually only run 2 truesilver champions whereas warriors will probably run deathbiter and fiery waraxe so 3-4 weapons.

I get that it is situational, but it is situationally really strong. Gives your weapon an additional removal and the potential to swing the match for the paladin on turn 5 pretty hard since after all, you have another swing after you remove a minion on turn 5. Value truesilver champion. Like a crazy version of eaglehorn bow except reliant on one card to trigger the extra value.

I'm thinking about crafting him. Got myself an extra gold black knight and while his animation is awesome and golden and shiny... captain greenskin might be a nice card to craft.

Although I still want these cards somewhat:
alexstrasza
antonidas
alakir
ysera

edit:
Oh yeah, I kinda want tirion as well... maybe I should grind out some arenas to pick these cards up.

Yoshichan

Still no dailies... holy mother of god, I want the 10g reseeeeeeeeeeetttttttt

Zemm

You are the kind of person we read about who ends up dying at their computer because they don't know when to stop. I hope you're atleast having small breaks to walk around a bit.

Raxus

I can't wait to own all of Naxx so I can finally buy packs again. I have almost all the neutral legendaries I want (minus Greenskin). Now I just really need the class legendary cards.

Yoshichan

I can't wait to own all of Naxx so I can finally buy packs again. I have almost all the neutral legendaries I want (minus Greenskin). Now I just really need the class legendary cards.
Why not buy packs right now? Why is Naxx stopping you?
You are the kind of person we read about who ends up dying at their computer because they don't know when to stop. I hope you're atleast having small breaks to walk around a bit.
Trust me, I've been close to dying during a game session previously, and I'm nowhere near that point right now :p

Aylinato

If you're gonna mill you might as well go the whole nine yards. Get Mukla/Cho/brewmasters. Otherwise I don't think you're gonna consistently burn your opponent's cards.

As soon as I get mukla I will. Brewmasters maybe the 2/3 ones but my deck is aimed for late game wins. It works really well if you play dreadlord with having naturalize/poison seeds if they get a good draw

CoolOff

4 Webspinners in an arenadeck, this should be interesting.

Edit: First draw, Captain's Parrot. That didn't quite hit the mark.

Yoshichan

25 more minutes (I think) till reset!!!!! HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yoshichan

BOYAA! Daily reset + 10g/3win reset as well :D

Let's fucking rolllllll

Yoshichan

WAIT TILL I GOT ENOUGH MANAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaay, folks. Finally decided to play this game since it was sitting pretty on my Battle.net account. After playing Magic The Gathering at a small competitive level for a couple years, it really wore on me. I needed a different card game to try out, and this one was a good one to play. So far, I'm really liking it. I'm winning I'd say about sixty percent of my games. I mainly lose to those who have much, much better decks than I do. I'm running pretty much a few lucky pulls from boosters and the Naxx rares and a lot of the good default cards. I'm mainly running Warrior, I like the playstyle.

On a different note, what's the rule for disenchanting cards? Just do it? I ask, because I've got a couple of epics and one legendary(Gruul) that I pulled from boosters. I'm not particularly needing them, so I'm just wondering I should disenchant them.

Aaay, folks. Finally decided to play this game since it was sitting pretty on my Battle.net account. After playing Magic The Gathering at a small competitive level for a couple years, it really wore on me. I needed a different card game to try out, and this one was a good one to play. So far, I'm really liking it. I'm winning I'd say about sixty percent of my games. I mainly lose to those who have much, much better decks than I do. I'm running pretty much a few lucky pulls from boosters and the Naxx rares and a lot of the good default cards. I'm mainly running Warrior, I like the playstyle.

On a different note, what's the rule for disenchanting cards? Just do it? I ask, because I've got a couple of epics and one legendary(Gruul) that I pulled from boosters. I'm not particularly needing them, so I'm just wondering I should disenchant them.

Well basically disenchanting is always a loss unless the card is golden(then you get its cost in dusts, besides legendaries which iirc still only give half a legendary cost). So you need to weight wether you think you'll use these cards in the future versus what you can craft with them right now that's useful. For Gruul for example I'd say it's a safe disenchant. It's not like an awful legendary but it's easily one of the weaker ones and generally I don't really see a point in it other than it can be silenced to lose its stats and if you're winning you'll win more when you drop it. There's many big body legendaries that do much more useful stuff(alex and ragnaros being the obvious one but even deathwing or malygos can see more use than gruul I'd say). For the epics really depends on which one it is and such.

I'd say it's a good idea to disenchant a few of your early cards that are not good/you're sure you're not gonna use soon to make cards that fit in a lot of decks. Getting all the common and rares generally makes a stronger deck than having a few epics and meh legendaries. Also disenchant everything past 2 since you can't play more than 2 cards of each, there's a button to do it automatically. Early on I was also disenchanting my golden cards if I had 2 copies of the normal version since golden cards are just cosmetics, but matter of taste here.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Since you're a magic vet you'll be able to replace cards easily. In the beginning I chose a handful of classes and disenchanted all of their cards for a few weeks to flesh out the classes I did like. A few weeks later and I had replaced them all without issue. Put priority into neutral cards and the must haves for the classes you like. There are some people who say don't de shit because you might hit the lottery 5 months from now when they change the card, but you're handicapping your enjoyment now for dust you might not even need 5 months later. Gruul is a card I would disenchant for example because it yields an instant epic card that has immediate effect on your deck now. Or, for example, if you wanted to build a miracle rogue that's instantly 2 gadgetzans an si agent and a blade flurry - a solid core.

Actually good cards don't bother disenchanting because you will eventually get bored of a class and want to try new ones, but definitely don't hold shit legendaries close. Also, assuming you weren't into foils, dust all golds if you have the regular version for excellent value.

biaxident

What's the best control paladin deck out there right now pre-rank 5? I tried tides's taunt heavy version, but the spectral knights seemed underwhelming in the rush heavy lower ranks. They always just stay in my hand and I would rather play spells or taunts. Considering unstable ghouls as a replacement and better early game presence and while they'd work great with equality and the acolytes, I'm worried about them backfiring against my hero power.

I have found ghoul just amazing in a control pally. I don't even care if it kills 3 of my tokens, wiping an entire board with some fun pyromancer play is pretty awesome. You can also force a yeti to 1 health with truesilver, and just have the ghoul waiting, so good. I based my pally off of kolento's, updated and tweaked it over the past few weeks. I have more heals to more easily survive zoo (even though i've barely faced any this week). I threw in loatheb as he is not easily removed. Tried out spectral knight, but it just wasn't enough bang for the buck. 1 azure, 1 sludge belcher, loatheb, and 1 kodo are the 5 cards which always seem influx.

Yoshichan

My head... I think I'm out...

Playing vs a mill rogue. Dancing swords, coldlight oracle, double vanish, brewmasters to bounce oracles, deathlords, mukla, double sap...

Had 8 cards counter-fitted plus 5 cards die to vanish.

johnsmith

remember me
I have found ghoul just amazing in a control pally. I don't even care if it kills 3 of my tokens, wiping an entire board with some fun pyromancer play is pretty awesome. You can also force a yeti to 1 health with truesilver, and just have the ghoul waiting, so good. I based my pally off of kolento's, updated and tweaked it over the past few weeks. I have more heals to more easily survive zoo (even though i've barely faced any this week). I threw in loatheb as he is not easily removed. Tried out spectral knight, but it just wasn't enough bang for the buck. 1 azure, 1 sludge belcher, loatheb, and 1 kodo are the 5 cards which always seem influx.

Awesome. I think I'm definitely going to replace the spectrals with the ghouls then.

Anybody watching Reynad stream? He's laddering with a midrange lock. Only rank 10 but good to see him try something original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom