• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It would be exhilarating seeing the players make good plays. That's my only point. Topdecking occurs in any card game.. I just hate how small the deck is and how powerful shit like gadget/cleric/unleash draw is.

Dude this is not a discussion.

You have your taste, I have mine. I personally enjoyed watching someone come back from a 0-3 with a streak of serendipitous rolls and the skill to abuse them to full effect.

The Adder

Banned
I pick the worst time to post these things. Always seem to be at the bottom of the page. Hope no one minds if I post the image again.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_882014205848_zps64c960b6.png

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Dude this is not a discussion.

You have your taste, I have mine. I personally enjoyed watching someone come back from a 0-3 with a streak of serendipitous rolls and the skill to abuse them to full effect.

When the fuck did I say you didn't/shouldn't enjoy it. This is a discussion, it's a message board. If you're done talking to me, just ignore me lol..

Tarazet

I wonder why paladin doesn't run captain greenskin.

Imagine...

turn 4 truesilver champion, remove a minion
turn 4 your opponent plays a 5 hp minion in response, or even another 4 or less
turn 5 you play captain greenskin, giving you a 5/4 and basically a free removal with the weapon

It is like greenskin's text is "if you have a weapon equipped, remove a minion of X or less hp but take damage from its attack"

I thought of this due to deathbiter coming out and whether greenskin may be ran with that kind of deck and I don't see why not. So I am wondering why paladins don't run it. Perhaps they don't since they usually only run 2 truesilver champions whereas warriors will probably run deathbiter and fiery waraxe so 3-4 weapons.

I get that it is situational, but it is situationally really strong. Gives your weapon an additional removal and the potential to swing the match for the paladin on turn 5 pretty hard since after all, you have another swing after you remove a minion on turn 5. Value truesilver champion. Like a crazy version of eaglehorn bow except reliant on one card to trigger the extra value.

Greenskin's body is easy to remove, so you really need to be able to get use out of his battlecry and preferably on curve, which isn't reliable since you can only put in one Greenskin. It's great value for a Rogue or a Warrior running Arcanite Reaper, but sketchy to put him in as a Paladin, Shaman, Hunter.. since it's more efficient to do a 3-drop and hero power on turn 5.

Cipherr

I had a shock tonight that made me laugh. I had two secrets up on my mage, one of them counterspell and a hunter played a flare and I swear... unless Im smoking crack his flare got counterspelled by my secret. I didn't even really process it until a turn later but wow at Flare being the secret counter but getting counter BY a secret. I suppose its not all that surprising but its.... I dunno.

manhack

I had a shock tonight that made me laugh. I had two secrets up on my mage, one of them counterspell and a hunter played a flare and I swear... unless Im smoking crack his flare got counterspelled by my secret. I didn't even really process it until a turn later but wow at Flare being the secret counter but getting counter BY a secret. I suppose its not all that surprising but its.... I dunno.

I'm pretty sure the flare removes the secrets 1st and the counterspell is removed...

rac

Banned
Sucks to lose just because I don't have a specific card. I guess you just get a free win since I don't have a black knight.

The f2p system in this game is one of the worst I've ever seen.

rac

Banned
You must not have a smartphone then.

but hearthstone isn't on smartphones yet.

Honestly, my biggest gripe with Hearthstone's F2P is that it isn't F2P enough. If I wanted to make a deck in MTGO, I could just pay money to buy whatever cards I needed. Unfortunately, the Dollars:Dust ratio in Hearthstone is so terrible that literally buying the cards I want is out of the question. At the base level of 40 dust per pack, it would take me $50 to be guaranteed enough dust to craft the Legendary of my choice.

No thanks, Blizzard. Leeroy definitely isn't worth $50, especially since he has 0 resale value.

Guess you need to become a top streamer and get those donations. 200 packs or riot

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Honestly, my biggest gripe with Hearthstone's F2P is that it isn't F2P enough. If I wanted to make a deck in MTGO, I could just pay money to buy whatever cards I needed. Unfortunately, the Dollars:Dust ratio in Hearthstone is so terrible that literally buying the cards I want is out of the question. At the base level of 40 dust per pack, it would take me $50 to be guaranteed enough dust to craft the Legendary of my choice.

No thanks, Blizzard. Leeroy definitely isn't worth $50, especially since he has 0 resale value.

johnsmith

remember me
Oh man, i'm 8-0 with what looks like a mediocre mage deck, but that's performing admirably. I want to go to sleep but this late at night I'm getting matched up with ez mode opponents. Do i sleep or do i keep going?

Edit: 10 wins now, may as well keep going until I lose or hit 12 wins.

I lived the dream. 12-0. I've gotten tons of 12-3 wins before, but I think this is my first perfect run.

Oh god. This warrior... he had a pretty good field. Armor smith... a unstable ghoul... a taskmaster...

I had a highmane, silverback from webspinner, and a haunted creeper

He used brawl... and my highmane survived lol!

Like seriously, I don't even understand why he would brawl in the first place. But then to lose the entire game off the brawl... omg. He didn't even have an execute to kill off highmane.

I'd rather the game cost $50 and all the cards were available to you and they made money from selling things like naxx. but I guess the he wouldn't be nearly as popular.

and you don't need black knight to win. there are a lot of decks that don't run it. there isn't a single card in the game that you need in order to win.

Haly

There's no card you need to win, but a lot of the decks require a certain baseline amount of Epics/Legendaries, and few of them are versatile enough to be auto-includes in all decks. Meaning you either focus on building a deck up... or play Zoo forever.

And no one wants to play Zoo forever.

There's no card you need to win, but a lot of the decks require a certain baseline amount of Epics/Legendaries, and few of them are versatile enough to be auto-includes in all decks. Meaning you either focus on building a deck up... or play Zoo forever.

Nah man. You play arena for a while to get new cards. If you're grinding constructed to build a deck, imho you're taking the long route. I know because I did that for like a month before realizing how much faster arena is. And I don't like arena, so it was rough for me personally. Not because it is hard though. I did learn to like it after like a month of playing 1 or 2 every other day lol

IceMarker

I'm sad that most good control decks include Ragnaros, Slyvannas, etc. and I'm sitting here with only Naxx legendaries, Bloodmage Thanos, and Gruul. :/

rac

Banned
I'd rather the game cost $50 and all the cards were available to you and they made money from selling things like naxx. but I guess the he wouldn't be nearly as popular.

and you don't need black knight to win. there are a lot of decks that don't run it. there isn't a single card in the game that you need in order to win.

Well when I kill two sunwalkers only to be greeted by a tirion on the next turn it feels like black knight is pretty damn necessary. I'd definitely drop my bgh or a drake for one.

edit: Also I don't remember ever having fun in arena so it just seems like a waste of 50g to me.

Wow, I get to play the same botter 3 times now... at least I have beaten him every time... his zoo deck runs frostwolf warlord wtf.

Casual is weird. I need to practice hunter vs good decks.

Haly

Nah man. You play arena for a while to get new cards. If you're grinding constructed to build a deck, imho you're taking the long route. I know because I did that for like a month before realizing how much faster arena is. And I don't like arena, so it was rough for me personally. Not because it is hard though. I did learn to like it after like a month of playing 1 or 2 every other day lol
Even Arena is a chore. I'd rather just buy Cairne for $3 rather than play Arena for 20 hours for it.

Ultrabum

There is no question having all the cards increases the probability you will win, however it's possible to win games as a free to play player as well.

Really sucks when you have a substitute for a card you don't have, and having that card would win you the game though....

johnsmith

remember me
I love arena. Works out well for me since it really is the best bang for your buck when it comes to spending your gold, as long as you're good. I average 5-6 wins and 100+ gold per run, plus the occasional dust and golden card.

In a time/gold/real money/legendary per pack ratio, a legendary is worth a lot more than $3

I think he just wants the option to buy it second hand or direct from store. They'd never allow that though.

edit:
Heh bought a few packs and unlocked the legendary murloc card. Only needed the epic, I DE'd him a few times in the past lol

So apparently this guy I'm facing has managed to glitch the turn timer to where he has an infinite amount of time. Been sitting here for about 5 minutes now, nothing happening except his card hovering above the board and Gul'dan spouting "so many possibilities" every 10 seconds . Not sure if it was intentional or not since he was going to lose next turn but it's pretty damn annoying either way.

Edit: Relaunching the game just put me back to the main menu. Strange stuff. Never had that happen to me.

Cipherr

Even Arena is a chore. I'd rather just buy Cairne for $3 rather than play Arena for 20 hours for it.

The worst part about the game is that Arena is the only fast way to earn gold and cards. There needs to be an alternative to that shit.

ShinNL

Greenskin's body is easy to remove, so you really need to be able to get use out of his battlecry and preferably on curve, which isn't reliable since you can only put in one Greenskin. It's great value for a Rogue or a Warrior running Arcanite Reaper, but sketchy to put him in as a Paladin, Shaman, Hunter.. since it's more efficient to do a 3-drop and hero power on turn 5.
What? It's great in a Paladin deck. It's an additional 2 heal and it synergizes with Tirion's weapon as well. Plus it's a free durability on Sword of Justice if nothing else. Any deck that runs 4+ weapons benefit a lot from it, I've never actually been forced to play it as a dead card.

I'm starting to feel like control warrior is dead in this week's meta. I'll try again after death's bite comes out. I just do so much better with any of my other decks. I'll never get that golden portrait :(

Q8D3vil

Nah. Both decks are beatable and if you nerf the hero power, the class will just die since the class cards are so awful without it.
Will see, they might not nerf the hero power but other shit need to be nerfed (soulfire/knife juggler).
I rather see the class die and become unplayable rather than play against zoo 90% of my games.

CoolOff

I'm interested in seeing just how much Priest there'll be after Dark Cultist is released.

Webspinner is insane in arena by the way.

Tacitus_

Will see, they might not nerf the hero power but other shit need to be nerfed (soulfire/knife juggler).
I rather see the class die and become unplayable rather than play against zoo 90% of my games.

I see more ramp druids on EU ladder than I see zoo >_>

So apparently this guy I'm facing has managed to glitch the turn timer to where he has an infinite amount of time. Been sitting here for about 5 minutes now, nothing happening except his card hovering above the board and Gul'dan spouting "so many possibilities" every 10 seconds . Not sure if it was intentional or not since he was going to lose next turn but it's pretty damn annoying either way.

Edit: Relaunching the game just put me back to the main menu. Strange stuff. Never had that happen to me.

This is actually a known bug that occurs from time to time. It actually happened recently to me just like a day ago but quite different than normal. After I attacked into a minion, his life total went negative and my minion went to 0 but neither cleared from the board. I knew something weird happened so I restarted. I think I might have lost out on an attack with my other minion. I don't recall. I ended up reconnecting and winning though.

If you do reconnect within a minute, you should be fine though. It is like a server desync with client or something. Either way you need to try reconnecting as soon as you notice.

I'm interested in seeing just how much Priest there'll be after Dark Cultist is released.

Webspinner is insane in arena by the way.

I think webspinner is insane even in constructed. I might have even underestimated it. Even when I got a silverback patriarch it still put in work. An additional 4 hp taunt at the right moment can in fact be very helpful, even when it costs 3 mana.

I also got another webspinner several times, that was quite hilarious actually. And I also got king krush at least twice, maybe 3 times last night.

I wish rogues got a 1 drop as good as webspinner. That would be heaven. I hate running argent squire. I'm not sure what would be nice for rogue to have as a 1 drop though. Maybe... 1/3 stealth minion, combo + 2 attack. I would love that lol

I see more ramp druids on EU ladder than I see zoo >_>

Same. I've been seeing more priest, warrior, hunter, and paladin than zoo as well. A couple shaman here and there. Zoo is still there, but not in numbers. I'm talking NA ranks 5-8.

Tacitus_

After dropping from rank 9 to 13 and climbing back to 8, I think the only class I didn't see was mage. Gonna start tracking from now on so I can get some stats.

You'll just play against rush hunter or rush paladin or whatever becomes the new cheap aggro deck that everyone plays.

Jrmint

Yeah at this point warlock is getting nerfed, no fucking doubt about that.
If they nerf any card it's going to be Rivendare bc of those crazy combos.

One of the developers just said this week they do not plan on changing any cards going forward unless there's an emergency, so I highly doubt they nerf an entire class.

Haly

In a time/gold/real money/legendary per pack ratio, a legendary is worth a lot more than $3

I'm well aware. I calculated earlier and it's in the neighborhood of $25-$50.

I'm saying no Legendary is actually worth $25, considering they have no resale value, unlike Magic cards, which can be recycled through the secondary market endlessly, and be used to earn monetary prizes.

Q8D3vil

If they nerf any card it's going to be Rivendare bc of those crazy combos.

One of the developers just said this week they do not plan on changing any cards going forward unless there's an emergency, so I highly doubt they nerf an entire class.

Riverdare combos require insane setup.
Its like winning with the inner fire gimmicky combos.
Blizzard said recently in an interview that they are monitoring zoo closely.
Balancing Nax cards is easy for blizzard since they dont need to offer full value dust in disenchant.

i think we have a nerf zoo discussion on every page now?

if they do nerf it the devs are going to have to be very creative about how they go about it because zoo is just hyper-efficient at doing the thing the devs want the game to be about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom