• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

isny

napkin dispenser
Miracle deck is nearly complete. Missing Vancleef, Acolyte of Pain (if you can believe it) and Nat Pagle. Subbed with Ironbeak, Questing, and Coldlight Oracle.

Fun shit. Feels just like storm. A deck like no other in Hearthstone.

I wouldn't craft a Pagle. It's way too easy to remove and more than likely won't draw you a card anymore.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah I figured, I'm just making a note of the differences between mine and Kolento's outdated list.

Special C

Out of about 50 packs I've pulled Jarraxsus, Krush, and Grommash. All good legendaries but as someone who plays all 9 classes I sure would like a Neutral Legendary

How does this draft look to you folks? It's goten me two wins so far.

j6RBUuCAbusdE.png

isny

napkin dispenser
Out of about 50 packs I've pulled Jarraxsus, Krush, and Grommash. All good legendaries but as someone who plays all 9 classes I sure would like a Neutral Legendary

I've crafted all of my neutral legs. Pagle, Rag, and Leeroy. I've pulled Cenarius x2 and a Rag just after I crafted one.

I saw a druid play Malaygos then double Moonfire, double Innervate, then Swipe for lethal.

You can probably do a lot of things with Malagos if he stays alive, but you can say that with pretty much every legendary.

inky

I run Malygos on my Spell Druid deck and he is pretty good. Like he said, Moonfire is very powerful with him, but is also extremely late game so YMMV.

Alright, just had this happen.

Game starts, I pick my cards and get new ones, and then I'm waiting for my opponent.

Next thing I know is we both explode and it counts as a loss. Anyone know of any new bugs or exploits going around?

kirblar

Game starts, I pick my cards and get new ones, and then I'm waiting for my opponent.

Next thing I know is we both explode and it counts as a loss. Anyone know of any new bugs or exploits going around?
I had that happen but it didn't count as a loss.

Cystm

Got my 2nd Legendary card.

What am I even supposed to do with this card now? I wonder if he could be useful in my Shaman deck.

You obviously don't want to sit on him for a large number of turns, but when combined with a lightning bolt you can use maly as a pyro, which in itself is weak play, but you can also use it as reliable board clear with it's high HP.

I run it in a few variations of spell heavy decks, but for questing and not for competitive play.

ZZMitch

This happened to me yesterday as well. I believe it counted as a loss, was just a casual game though so it doesn't matter too much I suppose.

Here is a cool short vid of someone getting 1,810,000+ damage out of eye for an eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPcyM9kaDSg&feature=youtu.be

holy shit.

You obviously don't want to sit on him for a large number of turns, but when combined with a lightning bolt you can use maly as a pyro, which in itself is weak play, but you can also use it as reliable board clear with it's high HP.

I run it in a few variations of spell heavy decks, but for questing and not for competitive play.

I feel the same, I'm just going to use it while I'm questing for now.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Man, those timer trolls are extremely frustrating and there should be an option to report them. I had a mage wait for the fuse to come every single turn before playing anything and constantly taunt me with emotes. In the last turn I had a 2/11 Taunted Kubiyashi Berserker, but only 9 health on my hero. Opponent did nothing for the entire turn, then just when the fuse was going to run out he sheeped my berserker and killed my other minions to spite me despite having lethal power. Then he did the 'sorry' emote.

Fuck that shit.

Luckily, I at least got a decent pack out of the arena run.

lol this dumb rogue shadowstepped his auctioneer into a full hand killing him off for me. Then he lost more cards next turn. He wasted all his shadowsteps on dumb things like cycling cards. He went through his whole deck. It was so pathetic. Probably the worst miracle rogue I've ever seen.

Card Boy

Banned
There's a limit of 5 redeemable booster packs.

I just got a 6th hearthstone pack from Diablo 3: RoS (digital)

So its 5 limit via codes but you can still get more via the digital version. So in theory you can get up to 8 packs. 5 from physical and another 1 to 3 depending if you get the standard or digital deluxe.

SteveWD40

Man, those timer trolls are extremely frustrating and there should be an option to report them. I had a mage wait for the fuse to come every single turn before playing anything and constantly taunt me with emotes. In the last turn I had a 2/11 Taunted Kubiyashi Berserker, but only 9 health on my hero. Opponent did nothing for the entire turn, then just when the fuse was going to run out he sheeped my berserker and killed my other minions to spite me despite having lethal power. Then he did the 'sorry' emote.

Fuck that shit.

I squelch everyone now but would love an "auto squelch" option.

As for the timer thing, not sure how they can fix that but I agree that deliberate time wasting is bullshit.

Minsc

Gold Member

Fuck that shit.

There's nothing to report there... he's playing the game as the game allows him to. No way in a million years Blizzard does anything against someone for using the taunt button and playing their turns to the fullest.

I saw a druid play Malaygos then double Moonfire, double Innervate, then Swipe for lethal.

You can probably do a lot of things with Malagos if he stays alive, but you can say that with pretty much every legendary.

I run a druid deck that's like a Boomkin, all spells and spell dmg boosting minions like Bloodmage, geomancer and azure drake.

I usually use ragnaros and a larger minion to bait out the crowd control cards, then put malygos down and you have 6dmg Moonfire, 10dmg Starfire, 9dmg Swipe with 6 AOE, you also have a 7dmg aoe.

My best kill combo for reliability is Starfire and Swipe, on anything above ten health people seem to ignore malygos and just think they will kill me anyway in a couple of turns but for my 10 mana I do 19dmg to their face and the swipe has 6 AOE damage too.

It's a really fun deck, I got to rank 9 and started to hit a bit of a wall and play with other decks but no one expects this deck when they see a druid so half the folk that just copied a deck have no idea how to deal with it.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Weird, had a good run with the Reynad warrior deck (with extra black knight and blood knight) for a day last week, and I haven't won a game with it since. So many popular decks straight up counter it now, like hunter aggro or giant warlock or Trump mage.

I've been doing ranked with the vanilla Reynard warrior deck and it's gotten me to five so far. I typically only have trouble with warlocks running murloc and stall decks. With everything else I usually seem to have a pretty decent chance.

Also, does anyone know if there's a limit to win streaks you can earn? I went from eight to five without any losses and eventually I stopped getting awarded win streaks and bonus stars. Is that a bug? It kind of pissed me off.

NBtoaster

Holy fuck there are so many Hunters and Warlocks rank 13-14. I want to play control, you know the actual fun part of the game but there is an impenetrable wall of dumbass cheese rushdown.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
There's nothing to report there... he's playing the game as the game allows him to. No way in a million years Blizzard does anything against someone for using the taunt button and playing their turns to the fullest.
I'd say purposefully abusing the timer mechanic just to annoy the other player is not the same as 'playing their turns to the fullest', especially if he or she has only one card in hand. I don't expect Blizzard to do anything about it, but I sure would appreciate them tweaking the fuse mechanic so that it can't be abused like this. For instance; Shorten the fuse so the trollers get less warning on when they have to play everything. Let the fuse run out once? That's fine. Twice in a row? 2 damage. Thrice in a row? 4 damage. etc. That would combat the trolling somewhat but would not massively impact regular play in any way.

Card Boy

Banned
I'd say purposefully abusing the timer mechanic just to annoy the other player is not the same as 'playing their turns to the fullest', especially if he or she has only one card in hand. I don't expect Blizzard to do anything about it, but I sure would appreciate them tweaking the fuse mechanic so that it can't be abused like this. For instance; Shorten the fuse so the trollers get less warning on when they have to play everything. Let the fuse run out once? That's fine. Twice in a row? 2 damage. Thrice in a row? 4 damage. etc. That would combat the trolling somewhat but would not massively impact regular play in any way.

You cannot be serious. A lot of people just take their time taking making turns because they are thinking especially in high ranked play. Even players like Trump always let their timers run to the last possible second.

Haunted

Saw a druid Murloc deck for the first time today (in casual).

He innervated twice and had his Murlocs buffed out of Swipe range by turn 3. Can't imagine he's got a good win rate as it's extremely dependent on luck, but when he gets the draws like he did against me, it's an instant win.

Why do people always complain about rush decks when control decks are far easier to pilot.
I disagree.

Holy fuck there are so many Hunters and Warlocks rank 13-14. I want to play control, you know the actual fun part of the game but there is an impenetrable wall of dumbass cheese rushdown.
haha, I said the same exact thing yesterday.

Played 5 games, all rush Hunter and Warlocks, lost them all and dropped from full star 13 down to 14. Haven't played ranked since.

Xater

So what do you guys think, iPad version this week? Man I hope so....

Although with the event being on the 3rd it seems unlikely.

Minsc

Gold Member

I'm fine if they change the system entirely, but I'm not fine with punishing people for using the system as it is set.

There are already penalties in place though, if the fuse runs out because they're afk, then the next turn they start with only ~15 seconds instead of ~90, and same for subsequent turns.

And I'm sure using the timer to the fullest to annoy the other player is done because it works. I would wager they probably even win ~20% of their games or more because of it, so why wouldn't they take the free wins from people who can't play the game according to the rules of the game?

I disagree.

I think control decks have the higher winrates and they take fewer risks. I think there is more margin of error compared to other decks like midrange and early aggression. Aggro decks are actually pretty hard to play. Definitely harder than control. I don't even think there is a contest tbh.

Compare warrior control to any midrange+early aggression deck. Hunter has way more meaningful decisions than control warrior which pretty much pilots itself for the crucial first 5 turns and by that point you've probably won or lost depending on the match up (some match ups clearly not but many, yes I feel like the match is like 90% won or lost by that point). That is how I look at it at least.

I'm not saying control is piss easy, but aggression is harder.

SteveWD40

So what do you guys think, iPad version this week? Man I hope so....

Although with the event being on the 3rd it seems unlikely.

Unless it's a launch day event (Thursday is the first day it's out for most regions).

It makes sense to tie it into the season end and it's probably been submitted and approved.

if they miss the season start it makes far less sense.

Tarazet

I think control decks have the higher winrates and they take fewer risks. I think there is more margin of error compared to other decks like midrange and early aggression. Aggro decks are actually pretty hard to play. Definitely harder than control. I don't even think there is a contest tbh.

Compare warrior control to any midrange+early aggression deck. Hunter has way more meaningful decisions than control warrior which pretty much pilots itself for the crucial first 5 turns and by that point you've probably won or lost depending on the match up (some match ups clearly not but many, yes I feel like the match is like 90% won or lost by that point). That is how I look at it at least.

Every play is important with aggro, but aggro doesn't really have to deal as much with complicated board states, creative combos, setting up board wipes, or deciding whether to use a minion or a spell for removal. Aggro keeps control decks from being too gutless, and control weeds out the aggro decks that have no staying power.

Minsc

Gold Member
Unless it's a launch day event (Thursday is the first day it's out for most regions).

It makes sense to tie it into the season end and it's probably been submitted and approved.

if they miss the season start it makes far less sense.

Well, they couldn't tie the PC/Mac launches to the start of a PVP season, and they have no excuses for that (no outside approval committees I mean)... and they did it anyway. It wouldn't surprise me very much if somehow the iPad version got released a week or two in to the first real PVP season (which starts tomorrow - so a Thursday release would technically already be a delayed start for iOS); not saying it isn't releasing this week, but just that if it did release next week or the following on iOS, it wouldn't ruin the PVP season... getting to rank 20, even for a completely new player wouldn't take much more than a couple days at worst (at best it takes like 1 hour).

zoukka

I don't see any ways for an agressive deck to be harder to pilot than a reactive deck which control decks tend to be.

SteveWD40

Well, they couldn't tie the PC/Mac launches to the start of a PVP season, and they have no excuses for that (no outside approval committees I mean)... and they did it anyway. It wouldn't surprise me very much if somehow the iPad version got released a week or two in to the first real PVP season (which starts tomorrow - so a Thursday release would technically already be a delayed start for iOS); not saying it isn't releasing this week, but just that if it did release next week or the following on iOS, it wouldn't ruin the PVP season... getting to rank 20, even for a completely new player wouldn't take much more than a couple days at worst (at best it takes like 1 hour).

All valid points, but I want to believe I will be playing HS in bed this weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom