• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
Woo, 9 wins! New arena record. And I tell ya, nothing feels better than hitting those 7 wins and knowing you played for free.

Sup HearthGAF ... can I get some feedback on this deck?

I've been really happy with it so far ... ranked up from 25 to 16 effortlessly. It seems like I struggle vs some Mages, and die helplessly to a good Hunter rush. But in general, I feel like if I'm even by turn 5 I can close it out. I am thinking about removing the Demolisher and adding a 2nd Shattered Sun Cleric ... other thoughts welcome.

I think the first piece of advice here is that you should probably throw out voodoo doctor and replace it with something else. At the point where you want to play voodoo doctor (turn 1 or 2), 2 health is meaningless. And in the late game, a card you probably do not want to see is voodoo doctor, because if you really need that +2 health you are in dire straits already.

Novice Engineer also isn't that good, as the one card draw and 1/1 stats means it'll probably just die next turn to hero power, which is not helpful when you are trying to stabilize a board against aggro.

Unfortunately, the best druid cards are usually rare or epic. If you can, craft yourself some Keeper of the groves. If you are rolling in dust, consider ancients of lore. Wrath (a common) is also a good card for controlling the early game and can also serve as a source of card draw. You might look at acolyte of pain for card draw as well.

Claw is also helpful in eliminating early creatures.

Tarazet

I think the better way to put aggro difficulty is that it's harder to pilot to a win when every deck has an anti-aggro plan and you have limited card choices to influence it. This is mostly more notable with Hunter which has a bunch of control pieces and multiple combos where it's a question of how to maximize your mana across the turns to reach the goal.

Control is mostly about how to maximize your threats across multiple turns. Aggro is maximizing damage instead.

I'm pretty sure this is why Zoo has gotten such a foothold. It just puts down these big helpings of beef every turn, climaxing with King Beef Doomguard, and it's almost impossible to have enough removal to stop it.

de1irium

I think the first piece of advice here is that you should probably throw out voodoo doctor and replace it with something else. At the point where you want to play voodoo doctor (turn 1 or 2), 2 health is meaningless. And in the late game, a card you probably do not want to see is voodoo doctor, because if you really need that +2 health you are in dire straits already.

Novice Engineer also isn't that good, as the one card draw and 1/1 stats means it'll probably just die next turn to hero power, which is not helpful when you are trying to stabilize a board against aggro.

Unfortunately, the best druid cards are usually rare or epic. If you can, craft yourself some Keeper of the groves. If you are rolling in dust, consider ancients of lore. Wrath (a common) is also a good card for controlling the early game and can also serve as a source of card draw. You might look at acolyte of pain for card draw as well.

Claw is also helpful in eliminating early creatures.

Not sure how I missed Claw ... that could be a game changer vs earlier stuff. Thanks for the advice.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Which means it'll work on iPad Mini right? Sorry I don't know shit about iPad.

Minsc

Gold Member
Which means it'll work on iPad Mini right? Sorry I don't know shit about iPad.

Means it will work on every iPad except for the original generation (which is not the mini :p). The only iPad slower than the 2 was the 3 (but it will still run on the 3, just probably any faster than the 2 runs it), everything else will deliver an improved experience over the 2 (well except for the 1 - so basically 1<3<2<4<5<etc, and I think mini = the 4, but I could be mistaken).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks Minsc!

Xater

Means it will work on every iPad except for the original generation (which is not the mini :p). The only iPad slower than the 2 was the 3 (but it will still run on the 3, just probably any faster than the 2 runs it), everything else will deliver an improved experience over the 2 (well except for the 1 - so basically 1<3<2<4<5<etc, and I think mini = the 4, but I could be mistaken).

Depends on which Mini he has. The first one is in between the iPad 2 and 3 and the second one is basically just a smaller iPad Air. There is no official "iPad 5", that is just the Air.

He should not have a problem with either Mini though.

Xater

Once the iPad stuff is taken care of, I hope we went have to wait too much for an Android version.

They said later in the year for Android and iPhone. I wouldn't be surprise if it might take until fall. New content for the game will be the next priority.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
First mini = iPad 2
Mini retina = iPad Air(-ish)
Otherwise you are right. Technically the iPad 3 was considerably more powerful than the iPad 2, but didn't really have the power to drive it's then-new retina screen very hard... Something that became more apparent with subsequent OS updates and software which also all ran better on the iPad 2 (at 1024x768) than they did on the iPad 3 (at 2048x1536).

The iPad 3 was honestly the only post-Jobs bungle apple made IMHO. They should have just skipped the then-normal spring update and released the iPad 4 in the fall as the "3". Sadly the actual 3 was the first one I jumped on. Twice. And the second one I bought in July like 3 months before the spring the surprise of the iPad 4 on everyone. Aka the iPad with retina that isn't bad. :(

Thanks for the tips. I'm glad running out cards wasn't me doing something inherently wrong..lol..

I do have Leeroy so I don't need to change that, but I'm considering changing an Acolyte of Pain for a Mana Addict...I'm running two of them, and right now I kind of feel I need another punisher, versus just a card draw as, as we noted, typically I have more cards than needed, but not enough middle game stuff to do 5-6 dmg here or there...I just don't want to rely on needing to do 20+ dmg in a turn to win the game.

Keep us updated.

I'm having some pretty good luck with the deck right now, but it's hard to tell for sure since the ladder reset and I seem to be playing against a lot of new players (basic decks).

Arcane Golem has definitely proved useful... It means I don't have to wait for Leeroy to be able to do most finishers. I've also started relying more on my Questing Adventurers.... but they are a hard card to play against some classes. Mage for example. Still feels like something is missing to make the deck "perfect". Someone will surely say "Van Cleef" but I don't think so... that's just like having a third Questing Adventurer... so it feels like something early game is missing.

Well Adventure Mode is new content right? :p

Sorry, meant to put a period after "this". I was agreeing with you :)

Latest Hearthstats for March is out.

http://hearthstats.net/mar

Global Win Rates
ARENA
1. Mage_icon Mage
53.11%

43848 Games
2. Rogue_icon Rogue
52.60%

19488 Games
3. Paladin_icon Paladin
51.78%

32917 Games
4. Shaman_icon Shaman
51.08%

24003 Games
5. Druid_icon Druid
49.13%

27544 Games
6. Hunter_icon Hunter
47.27%

16682 Games
7. Warrior_icon Warrior
47.14%

13274 Games
8. Warlock_icon Warlock
43.66%

10120 Games
9. Priest_icon Priest
41.77%

13276 Games

CONSTRUCTED
1. Warlock_icon Warlock
52.35%

47538 Games
2. Druid_icon Druid
51.56%

31060 Games
3. Hunter_icon Hunter
50.64%

37639 Games
4. Shaman_icon Shaman
50.43%

26246 Games
5. Warrior_icon Warrior
50.01%

27140 Games
6. Rogue_icon Rogue
49.13%

17733 Games
7. Paladin_icon Paladin
49.12%

21686 Games
8. Mage_icon Mage
47.80%

27584 Games
9. Priest_icon Priest
43.66%

18662 Games

Did they say anything about cards? I heard a lot of streamers talk about how they were going to add a lot of cards soon :). (I heard 100 new ones)

There will be new cards associated with Adventure mode. There is no official word on how many. Last it was mentioned, adventure mode will NOT come with a full expansion... Adventure mode is supposed to be mid-season minor content in between expansions with major content.

Raxus

It is funny how silly mages are in arena but only decent in constructed.

Warlock always annoying in constructed but shit in arena.

Priest just needs a buff in general.

It is funny how silly mages are in arena but only decent in constructed.

Warlock always annoying in constructed but shit in arena.

Priest just needs a buff in general.

Mage has some of the best basic cards in the game (including their massive AoE wipe). In constructed basic versus expert matters very little, but in arena where you're only rarely given a chance at something epic or better, it matters a lot.

Minsc

Gold Member
There will be new cards associated with Adventure mode. There is no official word on how many. Last it was mentioned, adventure mode will NOT come with a full expansion... Adventure mode is supposed to be mid-season minor content in between expansions with major content.

It's like 90%+ expected (imo) to be around a dozen or two cards tops for each Adventure.

We won't see a new 100+ cards any time soon imo, that'd be more like the first expansion. They'll probably save that for until after it's out on Android/iPhone.

Edit: See here or here:

For solo players, an Adventure mode will be added that contains new quests, new game stages and the opportunity to earn between 10 and 20 new cards. These will presumably work in a similar manner to the current tutorial, facing you off against a series of opponents who have their own unique dialogue as you battle them. It sounds as if new adventures will be released on a fairly regular basis and provide a solid means of collecting new cards for those who don't want to spend money, but we shouldn't expect the first of these to appear until after the game is available on both PC and iPad

Adventures will be single-player experiences, featuring new quests, new game stages and 10-20 new cards. The first adventure mode is planned to be launched after the game releases on PC and iPad.

For expansions:

Expansions are planned for the future, featuring a significant amount of new cards, and may also see new features added to the game. The game's first expansion is planned to contain between 100 and 200 new cards.

Priest buffs inc.

Unlikely... this isn't "new" Priest have been at the bottom since their last (very much needless) nerf. The thing is, Priests are annoying to play against, so any buff to them will set the sky falling or something when it comes to forums.

Xater

It's like 90%+ expected (imo) to be around a dozen or two cards tops for each Adventure.

We won't see a new 100+ cards any time soon imo, that'd be more like the first expansion. They'll probably save that for until after it's out on Android/iPhone.

Edit: See here or here:

For expansions:

I would hope the we get an expansion in the fall. Otherwise they are progressing too slowly when it comes to new cards. At least for my taste. Personally I would rather see smaller expansions on a more regular basis than having to wait for one big one. I don't know if the Adventure Mode will deliver that.

i like picking priest and hoping for multiple thoughtsteals. got 3 flamestrikes in a game this weekend.

Priests in arena are a LOT of fun. If you get Cabal Shadow priests and shadow madness, you have a really strong and annoying deck to play against.

(edit) From the official forum, a list of many constructed ready decks and their play styles.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D7WVi4yO5EMxg8qDcSPCXEMWHkDnD6XMtJRemur0bFA/preview?sle=true

Really looking at this tempo rogue build as a replacement to the miracle rogue. I like miracle rogue but I seem to be hitting a relatively hard barrier to progress and the more I tweak the deck, the less miracle it's becoming.

depths20XX

...the Emerald Dream!

Ysera1.png

I just noticed Ysera has human hands? Wtf, that looks ridiculous.

SteveWD40

So far she is my best legendary in terms of turning the tide on a match.

Ysera awakens, and Emerald Drake are both god like, on top of being able to Faceless her and then throw an Defender of Argus in the middle...

ShinNL

Latest Hearthstats for March is out.

http://hearthstats.net/mar
I fucking knew it! I posted so many rage posts in this thread about Hunters when I play as Shaman in constructed and behold, Hunter's winrate against Shaman is it's highest winrate and Shaman's winrate against Hunter is it's lowest winrate. Useless broken matchup.

And funny when I feel like destroying Hunters when I get completely sick of them as Shaman, I play as a Druid (with no special Druid cards at all since I DE'd almost everything) and behold, Hunter's lowest winrate is against Druid.

So freaking stupid. The rock paper scissors effect should be with deck building and deck types, not complete almost auto-lose because of the classes themselves.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Still don't understand how people are winning so consistently as Rogue in arena.

scy

I fucking knew it! I posted so many rage posts in this thread about Hunters when I play as Shaman in constructed and behold, Hunter's winrate against Shaman is the it's highest winrate and Shaman's winrate against Hunter is it's lowest winrate. Useless broken matchup.

That's kind of how the game works. There are classes that just do better against others. Hunter vs Warlock Giants and Miracle Rogue is something like a 90-10 match-up. Shaman's have a bad Hunter match-up in general, that's one of their known things which is why it's so hard to climb with them in a Hunter meta.

Edit: And class determines deck types. Almost every Druid deck type does well against Hunters due to how they stop the aggression. Shaman are generally weak to things with reach or that burn them early on the ground since they have no way to recover Health and can be a little slow on early turns.

Still don't understand how people are winning so consistently as Rogue in arena.

By going Tempo over Value. Take control of the game early with early battlecry effects / cheap spells. They're best for using small amounts of mana super efficiently.

Edit: And despite this, it's mostly around ~7-9 wins where Rogue gets to decently. When they face against other monster decks, they kind of crumble. But against below average or other ~7 win average deck types, they'll generally perform well.

Haly

By going Tempo over Value. Take control of the game early with early battlecry effects / cheap spells. They're best for using small amounts of mana super efficiently.

It doesn't work :(((

Aylinato

That's kind of how the game works. There are classes that just do better against others. Hunter vs Warlock Giants and Miracle Rogue is something like a 90-10 match-up. Shaman's have a bad Hunter match-up in general, that's one of their known things which is why it's so hard to climb with them in a Hunter meta.

Edit: And class determines deck types. Almost every Druid deck type does well against Hunters due to how they stop the aggression. Shaman are generally weak to things with reach or that burn them early on the ground since they have no way to recover Health and can be a little slow on early turns.

Edit: And despite this, it's mostly around ~7-9 wins where Rogue gets to decently. When they face against other monster decks, they kind of crumble. But against below average or other ~7 win average deck types, they'll generally perform well.

Scy come back so I'm not nervous to lose :(

scy

Dunno what to say, then. They have a lot of strong tempo plays like Backstab or Defias (or, if you're lucky, Perditions or SI:7) and Eviscerate is a good way to spike damage as needed to remove early game taunts or threats. The goal is to usually just have the better turn 2-3-4-5 curve that keeps them ahead on board where it doesn't really matter too much that their late game plan is "I just hope I won by now."

That isn't to say they draft aggro. 1-drops are still generally bad. It's still the best value 2-3-4-5 drops. It's just that their class cards use small amounts of mana for big returns when needed to regain the ahead position on board.

Scy come back so I'm not nervous to lose :(

Soon (TM).

Another Legendary grind oboy.

Haly

I will try again until I get it.

Also where are my cardbacks, I got 20 last season for the Pandaback but I got no Pandaback.

StMeph

I fucking knew it! I posted so many rage posts in this thread about Hunters when I play as Shaman in constructed and behold, Hunter's winrate against Shaman is it's highest winrate and Shaman's winrate against Hunter is it's lowest winrate. Useless broken matchup.

And funny when I feel like destroying Hunters when I get completely sick of them as Shaman, I play as a Druid (with no special Druid cards at all since I DE'd almost everything) and behold, Hunter's lowest winrate is against Druid.

So freaking stupid. The rock paper scissors effect should be with deck building and deck types, not complete almost auto-lose because of the classes themselves.

From the chart, it's Horizontal vs Vertical, so actually Hunter's best winrate is vs Warlocks, and then against Priests. They lose to BOTH Shaman and Druid.

Also, unless you're for no class-unique/specific cards or styles, there is always going to be a rock-paper-scissors effect.

Edit: apparently I was using the Arena numbers, not Constructed, so disregard the matchup part.

Minsc

Gold Member
I will try again until I get it.

Also where are my cardbacks, I got 20 last season for the Pandaback but I got no Pandaback.

Card backs start with this season's PVP, and are awarded at the end of the Season (May 1st I guess).

I wonder if there'll be a bug where all the people who skipped past Rank 20 won't be able to get the limited edition Pandaback, because it's awarded for reaching Rank 20, but people who started at ranks 19-15 never really reached 20... lol, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bug like that and people who placed higher by the free stars don't get it.

I wonder if there'll be a bug where all the people who skipped past Rank 20 won't be able to get the limited edition Pandaback, because it's awarded for reaching Rank 20, but people who started at ranks 19-15 never really reached 20... lol, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bug like that and people who placed higher by the free stars don't get it.
Sounds like Blizzard spaghetti code to me.

scy

Card backs start with this season's PVP, and are awarded at the end of the Season (May 1st I guess).

Hahahah...ha....

Fuck, this may actually happen.

Xater

Oh man I hope not.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sounds like Blizzard spaghetti code to me.

I know, odds are pretty good for the mess to happen (the yelling at Blizzard's forum would be worth it), but it's obviously (I hope) just a short-term thing if it does.

Looks like we have a new news update for the PVP season too, but it's got no new information about what to look forward to unfortunately.

Now that that they've gotten their ranked season format down, they have ~30+ hours of monthly content created with minimal effort (each PVP season costs extremely little resources to run), so it will be neat to see what comes next and how soon.

Aylinato

I know, odds are pretty good for the mess to happen (the yelling at Blizzard's forum would be worth it), but it's obviously (I hope) just a short-term thing if it does.

Looks like we have a new news update for the PVP season too, but it's got no new information about what to look forward to unfortunately.

Now that that they've gotten their ranked season format down, they have ~30+ hours of monthly content created with minimal effort (each PVP season costs extremely little resources to run), so it will be neat to see what comes next and how soon.

I hope new cards. I'm addicted to collectin the cards. Even though it's rather hard since I suck at arena

de1irium

If it's awarded at the end of the season, then they should just check rank when the season closes and award as appropriate.

But who am I kidding, you're probably right.

Haunted

Yeeeaaah, got another legendary.

It's Captain Greenskin.

Which is not so bad, really, it was the last pirate I was missing, so now I've gotten two parrots as well. Time to go deck building a Pirate Rogue, a Piratadin and a Pirate Warrior (more suggestions are welcome).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom