• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

They need to rename this game "I just made a terrible play and I'm winning"

U1zwc88.jpg

Modern Midrange Hunter is better against zoo than the older ones because they don't play secrets and deadly shots anymore. But still it's a 50/50 matchup at best. You are relying on two cards to save your ass every match and that is never an advantageous matchup.

Nah, I run 1 deadly shot.

Plus it is way better than 50/50 I would bet money. Getting UTH pretty much wins. When one card can swing that hard it is really favorable to that player. I can win without UTH but why try hard when you can win easy.

Generally these are the awesome cards for the match up sort of in descending order of power but I didn't think about it too much:

uth
haunted creeper
timber wolf/alpha wolf
hunter's mark
webspinner
deadly shot
stampeding kodo
stonetusk boar
ironbeak owl (seeing a lot of void terrors lately)
highmane (if I ever get this down safely it is pretty much over. One hit from this and the lock is pretty much dead due to life tapping + kill command + steady shot and if I get beastmaster on this guy, it is done)

Basically one clear and all I generally need to do is stop doomguard with hunter's mark and that is surprisingly easy when you often have hounds sitting around or a stonetusk boar or haunted creeper on the field.

I don't even run snapjaw but a couple times I have gotten him from webspinner. Toss beastmaster on that guy and it is also pretty much over.

This is me winning vs zoolock without UTH.
huntervszoo.jpg

drop wolf middle and clear field for free

next turn hit wolf with houndmaster

if that wasn't enough unleash the freaking hounds the turn after (IIRC)

He didn't have bad start... he had a phenomenal start imo. And he even had significant follow ups with nerubian eggs and void terrors. I had to take down 2 void terrors before dealing with doomguards. Dealt with it all, it was easy peasy.

IceMarker

LITERALLY. FUCKING. ONE. WIN. AWAY. FROM. WING. THREE.

I'm on a 5 loss streak right now in Casual mode of all fucking things. I cannot play Naxxramas until I win ONE FUCKING MATCH with Warrior or Rogue.

IceMarker

Are you playing some kind of outdated aggro list or what? Been doing fine with Control Warrior the past couple of days.

I'm sorry I don't have mass amounts of real world cash to unload on packs to eventually get lucky and/or get dust for Ragnaros/Sylvannas/etc.

TomServo

He didn't have bad start... he had a phenomenal start imo. And he even had significant follow ups with nerubian eggs and void terrors. I had to take down 2 void terrors before dealing with doomguards. Dealt with it all, it was easy peasy.

Knife juggler hitting your haunted creeper twice was bad luck for him... zoo wants board control, turning a 1/2 into two 1/1's sucks.

Decent start, but not phenomenal.

IceMarker

Yeah, I wish there was something like an Arena Mode for easy Gold and Packs...
... oh wait ...

I ain't got time for that, and the last 3 arena runs I did I got never got past 3 wins, it's more efficient for me to straight up buy packs then waste hours on end getting a pack for 1.5x the cost.

zoukka

This is me winning vs zoolock without UTH.
huntervszoo.jpg

drop wolf middle and clear field for free

Well the dude fucked himself over by not clearing out one spider. Also why did he not remove your wolf? One advantage with any deck against zoo is that most zoo players don't have time to waste on thinking and strategy :)

And yes, Creeper helps a lot against zoo and like I said, the modern hunter isn't as horrible against zoo as it used to be.

Deadly shot is garbage against zoo still.

Haunted

How to ruin your mood before even starting to play naxx.

And man, if you think you're angry now, just wait until you see their heroic hero powers. :p

Knife juggler hitting your haunted creeper twice was bad luck for him... zoo wants board control, turning a 1/2 into two 1/1's sucks.

Decent start, but not phenomenal.

That is a phenomenal start... 3 minions by the end of turn 2. I don't see how you can't see that as phenominal. He has 12 stats on the board not counting divine shield.

Well the dude fucked himself over by not clearing out one spider. Also why did he not remove your wolf? One advantage with any deck against zoo is that most zoo players don't have time to waste on thinking and strategy :)

And yes, Creeper helps a lot against zoo and like I said, the modern hunter isn't as horrible against zoo as it used to be.

Deadly shot is garbage against zoo still.

If the daggers didn't kill the guy I would have gotten more value out of him. All I cared about personally was removing the juggler.

Deadly shot is still a low cost removal. I would not call it garbage against zoo since removal is very important against it.

I think if anything it just goes to show you that people don't play zoolock right even at rank 5+. Although tbh the spectral spiders aren't counted as beasts so maybe he did not foresee the wolf that does not discriminate hitting the field. I mean, you can't literally play around everything... gotta take some risks...

zoukka

Yeah but zoo needs to control the board, he went face straight on. Leokk and Dire doggie would blow him away and he didn't see it coming I guess. Also I still wonder why he left your doggie alive for to be Mastered? Full face mode.

And deadly shot is bad. Especially now with creepers and eggs.

CoolOff

Dropped 2 full ranks so far today, tilt mode engaged. I think my frustration is a testament to how good of a place the meta is in right now, I'm facing everything which makes it really difficult to find a consistent deck.

Oh, and me being trash at Ramp Druid doesn't help.

ShinNL

I'm normally a Paladin player but I'm enjoying this tempo Priest a lot. With pyromancer, Auchenai circle and Holy Nova I seem to have plenty of AoE while being able to put out strong minions like Dancing Swords, Injured Bladermaster, Auchenai itself, Spectral Knight and Cabal Shadow Priest. A board full of 4 attack minions. Except for Loatheb, stupid 5 minion ruining my theme xD

I can use my healing both offensively as defensively, but I found most success in healing minions despite being low myself.

Keeping a Spectral Knight at high health with Circle and Holy Nova is also super strong.

It just feels really strong.

I think the only weakness would be a true full clear with something like Equality and then dropping Ysera, which I have no answer for except for trading and Holy Firing it. So you really need to utilize the tempo so you can put someone near lethal range so they can't put out minions like that.

I honestly think Paladin would crush deck this though with Equality and Aldor. Anything that utterly destroys your tempo without requiring more cards than you. Fortunately no Paladin has been seen yet.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
How to BM a Handlock:

Step 1: Play a control Paladin
Step 2: Have lethal
Step 3: Just before going in for the kill, use both of the equalities that are sitting in your hand, for no reason.

I hit rank 10 a few days ago (now back to 14) and it felt like I was playing nothing but druids, hunters, and priests.

there's an ebb and flow. basically you have a ton of people playing zoo so everyone not playing zoo adjusts their decks to beat zoo. so then there are a lot of people playing anti-zoo decks which means people will adjust their decks to beat those decks. but then those decks lose to zoo so zoo starts up again. what's fun is when you adjust your deck to beat a deck you're seeing all the time but then you never see it again for the rest of the night. really makes me go on tilt.

TomServo

That is a phenomenal start... 3 minions by the end of turn 2. I don't see how you can't see that as phenominal. He has 12 stats on the board not counting divine shield.

It's common for zoo... The risk is coining out the juggler on turn one, but with two one-drops in hand it's a calculated risk.

As was mentioned before, he would have been better off clearing the creeper with the juggler before dropping the squire and the imp. That sets up the chance that the juggler's knives clear the board of the spectral spiders, which would have been a phenomenal start.

So yeah, he had the potential for a phenomenal start, but he botched the execution, making it a decent start, but one that was totally undone by a single two-drop.

How is Northshire Cleric not the most game breaking non rare/legendary card? One mana? Seriously? If a Priest plays it on turn one, there isn't much you can do to counter it for the first 2-3 turns. And by that time, it can very often be too late.

frequency

I still remember a time when people used to laugh at Turn 1 Cleric like it was a terrible play. I'm pretty sure references to Dennis were floating around at the time for Turn 1 Clerics.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
How is Northshire Cleric not the most game breaking non rare/legendary card? One mana? Seriously? If a Priest plays it on turn one, there isn't much you can do to counter it for the first 2-3 turns. And by that time, it can very often be too late.

You can absolutely answer it with a 3/2. Which are extremely common at 2 mana.

You can absolutely answer it with a 3/2. Which are extremely common at 2 mana.

Priests are honestly the only class that I have consistent trouble with. I don't like fighting Mages, but I don't lose game in and game out like I do Priests.

EDIT: A nice fix to Cleric would be to make it so only friendly minions being healed resulted in a card draw.

it's very easy to kill. if you're playing against a priest make sure you mulligan to punish a turn 1 cleric.

EDIT: A nice fix to Cleric would be to make it so only friendly minions being healed resulted in a card draw.

it's not broken, though. :p

KingKiller

Neo Member

While I do love pulling this turn one, those who know how beneficial it can be do usually wipe it within a turn or two.

Raxus

Man, I almost lost to a shaman resurrection deck. Frikkin double Sylvanis. To be fair, he did get the perfect hand to fight me and I still won but jeez.

ShinNL

For those who have been playing my Mill Druid deck, here's an update on the decklist:

Now with much better removal.

Poison Seeds, Pyromancer (6 mana), and 2 spells under 4 mana (Coin and Innervate counts) is a board clear
Poison Seeds + Starfall is a board clear (9 mana)
Poison Seeds, Pyromancer, Swipe is a board clear (10 mana)

For 5 mana you can also make a DIY swipe with Pyromancer, Claw, Hero power.

Since you have multiple combinations you can use some of the spells if you don't need a max mana board clear.

As always, Coldlight Oracle, Dancing Swords and Deathlord are high priority mulligans.

Replaced Druid of the Claw with Sludge Belcher, which is harder to remove with slightly higher total stats.

Always keep Coldlight Oracle if you don't have a Brewmaster, with the only exception in clutch situations where you really have no choice but hoping to topdeck.

Still easily wrecked by Zoo-like decks, but you can't have everything :)

Also remember to smile when they play draw cards of their own, not suspecting what the pace will be after turn 5.

Tests seem to indicate the same if not better results than the version with Wild Growth and Nourish.

Coldlight Neutralize finishers all day!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Baron: Too fringe, only usable with Shaman Deathrattle thanks to Reincarnate/Ancestral Spirit shenanigans
Deathlord: Too risky in ladder/competitive, lots of decks are running high value creatures these days due to the slower meta
Dancing Sword: Not enough value for being a reverse loot hoarder.

scy

I still remember a time when people used to laugh at Turn 1 Cleric like it was a terrible play. I'm pretty sure references to Dennis were floating around at the time for Turn 1 Clerics.

Northshire with no real plays to be had on Turn 2 is still bad. Especially when the meta was a lot slower a few months ago and this play just died to spot removal, Fiery War Axe, Ancient Watcher, etc.

This would get rid of one of the fun features of Priest vs Priest. Northshire Cleric is far from a broken card.

Unless next is Voidwalker being a nigh unremovable threat too, I guess.

CoolOff

That mill-deck is now awesome, but holy hell is it difficult to pilot.

Priests get so confused when you heropower their Cleric turn 2.

Baron: Too fringe, only usable with Shaman Deathrattle thanks to Reincarnate/Ancestral Spirit shenanigans
Deathlord: Too risky in ladder/competitive, lots of decks are running high value creatures these days due to the slower meta
Dancing Sword: Not enough value for being a reverse loot hoarder.

So all of this week's cards are basically throw away? I thought so too upon first examination but I'm no Hearthstone pro, so I am appealing to the NeoGAF democracy for opinion.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So all of this week's cards are basically throw away? I thought so too upon first examination but I'm no Hearthstone pro, so I am appealing to the NeoGAF democracy for opinion.

Not exactly throw away but it's only one or two decks that wants to run any of those cards (and no one wants to run Dancing Swords except mill).

scy

Deathlord is a weird one in that it's awfully binary. It's good when it's good and bad otherwise. So it'll fluctuate in value more often than most cards. Which makes it an awkward card for laddering but a really good card to keep the meta in check. Basically, treat him as a tech card like Harrison, Black Knight, etc. except a bit more extreme.

ShinNL

That mill-deck is now awesome, but holy hell is it difficult to pilot.

Priests get so confused when you heropower their Cleric turn 2.
Yep, it's almost like playing in reverse. So far I've been keeping innervates in my hand until I need them. No rush in bringing out an early Deathlord or anything. I much much rather save it for an expected early board clear, or having enough mana to bounce back my Coldlight Oracle.

Farseer, Brewmasters and Sludge Belcher help weaken the enemies to put them into AoE range without Poison Seeds.

With the new changes it's much easier to put everything in range so I can use my Neutralize for the real threats. But it really has so much AoE now that I find myself having spare Neutralize for the end-game (aka, when they have 0 cards in their deck). Then it becomes a "Remove opponent's last minion and deal 15 damage to the hero" 1 mana card. Feels good man :D

CoolOff

Well, the new Warlock-card has already seen some entirely new decks built around it, time will tell if they are any good I guess.

KingKiller

Neo Member
Are the Naxx wings really worth the gold? I'm a fairly new player and I feel like just buying roughly a card pack a day is more worthwhile then saving 700 gold and only getting four cards that the meta is probably not going to call for.

CoolOff

Yep, it's almost like playing in reverse. So far I've been keeping innervates in my hand until I need them. No rush in bringing out an early Deathlord or anything. I much much rather save it for an expected early board clear, or having enough mana to bounce back my Coldlight Oracle.

Two games in a row where my Coldlights are both in the bottom 15 in my deck. :(

zoukka

Shaman is so stronk now. Gotdamn.

Are the Naxx wings really worth the gold? I'm a fairly new player and I feel like just buying roughly a card pack a day is more worthwhile then saving 700 gold and only getting four cards that the meta is probably not going to call for.

In gold, maybe not for a beginner. I recommend just buying the Naxx thingy with real money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom