• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

manhack

And after that, having dealt with both Highmanes, companions and a Houndmaster, this Hunter pulls KK from his Webspinner on turn 9 which then of course survives a 33% Brawl

I am SO fucking done

I swear that webspinner has a 50% chance of giving me King Krush. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I read this thread and played more Hearthstone at work than I actually worked during the beta. It got to the point where I got so frustrated, I destroyed the external keyboard and the laptop while my students were in the same classroom. I tried to do it discretely but I failed.

I am (was) a teacher.

XgoyeeQ.png

All I need.

Yes. I love the smell of new Warrior weapons in the morning.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm about to just auto concede all priest mirror matches. They're just so boring.

You're not Thoughtstealing or Mind Controlling enough. Its not a priest mirror unless you bounce multiple Rags back and forth.

imBask

Banned
You're not Thoughtstealing or Mind Controlling enough. Its not a priest mirror unless you bounce multiple Rags back and forth.

if the game doesn't end in fatigue, you're not playing Priest right!

Love the extended priest games, eventhough it's terrible for "farming" gold

zoukka

I read this thread and played more Hearthstone at work than I actually worked during the beta. It got to the point where I got so frustrated, I destroyed the external keyboard and the laptop while my students were in the same classroom. I tried to do it discretely but I failed.

I am (was) a teacher.

I am legit baffled. Nobody reports you for not doing work at municipal level?

ZealousD

Freeze mages just got that much more annoying come tomorrow.

Is there any other deck that would conceivably run mad scientist? I can't think of one. Seems like you would need to control your secrets in any other deck/class. Like even playing secrets mage, grabbing vaporize when there's a 1/1 seems bad.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I am legit baffled. Nobody reports you for not doing work at municipal level?
I always gave them assignments at the mornings and then after lunch. So I was "free" during the other hours. Of course I'd be sitting in the class room and answer any questions during this period.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

I am (was) a teacher.

I think your tag needs another update.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
With cards like Mad Scientist (which is kind of like Webspinner), you're not supposed to evaluate it like "What if I get the wrong card at the wrong time?". All you should focus on, while deck building, is the raw card advantage it gives you.

ZealousD

Hunters.

New aggro Paladin fueled by Avenge.

I dunno. Mad Scientist doesn't do much damage on its own, and I think you need 4 secrets for it to be good, otherwise it is wasted in the late game. Plus Shockadin is very vulnerable to AoEs and Avenge doesn't help much there.

With hunters, I think you want to control your traps. You need to pick when to use freezing and when to use explosive.

ShinNL

Just had an amazing Paladin vs Paladin match.

So I played Tirion. My opponent replies with an Ysera.
I then played Sylvanas and used my Divine shield to get rid of his 2/3. He used his Dream to send my Sylvanas back and buffed Ysera with Blessing of Kings. Also equipped a Truesilver and summoned a recruit.

I definitely didn't want to get a recruit so I killed it with my Ashbringer and then played a Deathlord + Sylvanas (again).

So he kills the Deathlord with his buffed Ysera and Loatheb was summoned. That made him panic since that was the perfect target for my Ysera to run into. He made a recruit, played a Faerie Dragon and gave them both taunt with Defender of Argus.

My chances was low to get that juicy Ysera.

Or so he thought.

I played Wild Pyromancer and used Consecration, which cleared every minion except for Loatheb and Ysera. I sacrificed my Sylvanas into Loatheb and bam, a perfectly fine 8/5 Ysera was mine.

He had no answer for it anymore. He used double Consecration and summoned a recruit, hoping he would kill it the next turn. But a new Deathlord shows up and I also play Guardian of Kings to get myself out of any possible lethal range.

He conceded.

Soooo good!

Deathlord works quite well with Paladin. It buys a lot of extra time so you can draw into your Aldors and Equalities, which by then it doesn't matter what it summons when it dies.

With cards like Mad Scientist (which is kind of like Webspinner), you're not supposed to evaluate it like "What if I get the wrong card at the wrong time?". All you should focus on, while deck building, is the raw card advantage it gives you.
Yeah, I think with Counterspell, Duplicate and Mirror Entity you could really overwhelm your opponent in card and mana advantage.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I think mad scientist has a potential place in all the secret classes. Mage is the obvious of course because it has the highest cost secrets at 3 mana.

In hunter, it makes eaglehorn bow quite a bit better because you can run fewer traps total and still get max value out of it. A bit trickier in hunter though because secret order in hunter is a really big deal. Traps being played out of order or at the wrong time can fizzle for basically nothing so mad scientist is probably weakest in hunter of the 3.

And in aggro paladin running avenge/noble sac it still provides value. You're "kind of" paying 1 mana for a 2/2 deathrattle: draw a card. Just the 1 mana refund is delayed, has to be used to cast a secret, and the draw a card bit only draws secrets. But eh, details...

It's common for zoo... The risk is coining out the juggler on turn one, but with two one-drops in hand it's a calculated risk.

As was mentioned before, he would have been better off clearing the creeper with the juggler before dropping the squire and the imp. That sets up the chance that the juggler's knives clear the board of the spectral spiders, which would have been a phenomenal start.

So yeah, he had the potential for a phenomenal start, but he botched the execution, making it a decent start, but one that was totally undone by a single two-drop.

I don't see how common it was making a difference with how strong of a start he had and of course with hindsight it probably should have attacked the creeper first. He likely did not expect both knifes to hit the creeper and did not see the creeper as a threat in itself. And after it is dead it is quite the rng roll to worry about leokk and timber wolf doesn't affect them so he assumed the knife juggler would die but he would recover.

FStop7

Banned
Miracle Rouge is still pretty stronk. It's funny that Loatheb was obviously intended to disrupt Miracle but now it's an important part of that deck.

It's feels especially good to beat a decent opponent despite failing to get my Auctioneers.

Miracle Rouge is still pretty stronk. It's funny that Loatheb was obviously intended to disrupt Miracle but now it's an important part of that deck.

It's feels especially good to beat a decent opponent despite failing to get my Auctioneers.

Don't forget spectral knight. Card is great vs miracle rogue as well. Drop taunt on it and it can't be sapped.

I am still a little annoyed when miracle rogues get the big spender the turn auctioneer is dropped despite it being like turn 5 with 5 mana and coin... last match I could have won despite being midrange hunter if he just auctioneer coin conceal instead of auc coin conceal prep backstab eviscerate blah blah blah, basically draw an additional 5 cards.

I had solutions to auctioneer conceal and then I could have still won if he didn't get both his saps... and then I could have STILL won if he didn't have a second auctioneer cause I could have dropped highmane and houndmaster but had to kill command the second auctioneer so I ended up using leokk + hound master which he ended up beating with blade flurry.

Granted my deck could be modified to be made better against the deck it isn't really worth it imo.

Acinixys

Wow the Rogue i just played in Arena must be salty as fuck

Leaves me on 1 HP thinking I dont have lethal

Use Blessed Champion on a minion and hit him for 14, getting the win

Yoshichan

Who the hell doesn't have lethal at 1hp?

The current Hearthstone meta right now is so fucked, I'm worried that the opponent has lethal when I'm at 25 health.

Alrus

Mad Scientist doesn't give you a great card advantage, considering it picks a card from your deck. It's nowhere near the huge value a Webspinner (or a thoughsteal) can have. I really don't see how the card can be played in a non gimmicky way.

I am (was) a teacher.

This has to be a joke.

Who the hell doesn't have lethal at 1hp?

The current Hearthstone meta right now is so fucked, I'm worried that the opponent has lethal when I'm at 25 health.

you're only going to be able to burst someone down from that amount of health if you have a board presence and lot of mana. even force of nature, savage roar, innervate, savage roar is only 22 damage. so you'd need at least 1 minion and no taunts for that to be lethal. and the odds of having that kind of hand are low anyway.

CoolOff

Mad Scientist doesn't give you a great card advantage, considering it picks a card from your deck. It's nowhere near the huge value a Webspinner (or a thoughsteal) can have. I really don't see how the card can be played in a non gimmicky way.

In a Mage-deck it gives you a lot of tempo, and if you run secrets like Ice Block and Ice Barrier you don't really mind the timing.

Well it's a secret for 2mana that also puts a 2/2 on the board, so that's pretty good considering mage secrets cost 3mana. In a pure secret deck though it can pick secrets you'd rather not play at that point, like Duplicate when you have Mirror Images up. I played a secret deck but I don't know if I'd play this card in the deck, I think I'd rather just bunker up on anti zoo/aggro stuff for early game.

Gotchaye

Well it's a secret for 2mana that also puts a 2/2 on the board, so that's pretty good considering mage secrets cost 3mana. In a pure secret deck though it can pick secrets you'd rather not play at that point, like Duplicate when you have Mirror Images up. I played a secret deck but I don't know if I'd play this card in the deck, I think I'd rather just bunker up on anti zoo/aggro stuff for early game.

I think that as long as you're not worried about fatigue Mad Scientist makes a lot of sense in any Mage deck with a significant number of secrets, whatever they are, unless your strategy revolves around making Duplicate work out just right or something like that. I mean, 2 mana for a 2/2 and the ability to cast a free Mirror Image (with the mirrors being played separately or together) is pretty good, and that's a worst-case Duplicate scenario. An early Duplicate is bad because it costs 3 mana and a card from your hand. When it's practically free that all changes. Likewise Counterspell and Vaporize. Those two in particular represent huge tempo gains, even very early on, when you get to play them for free and without spending a card from your hand. Hell, 2 mana for a 2/2 and cancelling your opponent's Coin is probably worth it.

Edit: Also Mirror Entity for tempo, obviously. Really, Ice Block and Barrier are some of the least desirable from a Mad Scientist, I think, just because you don't get early tempo out of them unless you're using Ethereal Arcanists. It's still nice to get them for free, though.

ViviOggi

I love the game, but I think it's kinda silly in an e-sports context, with all that RNG and imbalance.
I won't ever have the respect for a top HS player that I have for Dota, SC2 or Fighting Game greats but overall it has its place. Have you been around for pre-nerf Pagle/Tink? Now THAT was some RNG.

ACE 1991

Any general tips for playing coldlight rogue? I really like the deck but I'm not winning as many games as I should. I have the whole deck minus Mukkla, which I replaced with a wolf rider. Not at all optimal, but it's good enough for now.

Any general tips for playing coldlight rogue? I really like the deck but I'm not winning as many games as I should. I have the whole deck minus Mukkla, which I replaced with a wolf rider. Not at all optimal, but it's good enough for now.

it's not a good deck in the current environment and has a bad matchup versus almost every other popular deck. you basically just have to go for face and hope you can burn your opponent down before you run out of cards.

FStop7

Banned
I won't ever have the respect for a top HS player that I have for Dota, SC2 or Fighting Game greats but overall it has its place. Have you been around for pre-nerf Pagle/Tink? Now THAT was some RNG.

I have respect for the people who craft decks as well as place very high on the ladder.

Namely: Kolento and Amaz. Kolento is brilliant at building decks.

Tacitus_

I am (was) a teacher.

Goddammit Yoshi :|

Yoshichan

Goddammit Yoshi :|
Hey that was BEFORE. I took your advice and nowadays I'm a much more calm guy (in comparison to old me, that is)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom