• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game is awesome on iPad.

Bah! 3 Ipads in our house, one original Ipad which I bought on release and 2 Ipad Airs, both of which the kids use at school and I can't get a sniff of. No way the wife would let me buy another just for Hearthstone. Tempted to try spoofing my Iphone 5, see what happens.

KeRaSh

Yeah when the match began and I looked at Illidans hero power, I just said to myself that nobody can beat this hero. But they made his ai super bad so even with a broken hero power you can finish him off easy.

Wait a second. Am I mission something? Can you play against Illidan?

/edit#1
Oh, apparently he is the "final boss" of the tutorial now? Neat! I wish I could challenge him...
Maybe the planned PVE mode lets us play against other legendaries with crazy cards / abilities.

/edit#2
Apparently that is already the case... God damnit. Now I want to play it again with my current decks.

Tarazet

Well, tried messing around with a Divine Shield / Blood Knight deck with a warrior. I don't think it could be good, but just like every other convoluted deck, it's really satisfying when everything works.

I think that might be great as a variant of Trump's basic Warrior deck (which is a midrange), since Silvermoon Guardian and Blood Knight can both benefit from Warsong Commander's effect.

I think that might be great as a variant of Trump's basic Warrior deck (which is a midrange), since Silvermoon Guardian and Blood Knight can both benefit from Warsong Commander's effect.
Yeah and it's awesome to pull off a 12/12 with charge but it's hard to get to that point.

Wait a second. Am I mission something? Can you play against Illidan?

/edit#1
Oh, apparently he is the "final boss" of the tutorial now? Neat! I wish I could challenge him...

If you change your region in the Battle.net launcher then you can replay the tutorial. You'll be forced to use the basic mage deck.

some general thoughts/questions im having from mostly mindlessly grinding dudes to 10 against expert ai, and playing a few casuals online using this control priest deck im slowly tweaking (mind control, so good at key moments lol).

- decks can't be over or under 30 cards right?
- Are there any cards that are limit 1, or are they all 2? Is there any reason not to have 2 of every card you'd use? As in I should pretty much always expect 2 cards of each thing out of opponents.
- taking out enemy minions should be priority over attacking hero unless you know you can win that turn?

Bkn1nI5IMAAiKDP.jpg:large

dont know if anyone played priest, but some insight on things on can improve on the cheap (will get another ancient watcher, thoughtsteal, injured blademaster sounds like a must for priest).

zam

some general thoughts/questions im having from mostly mindlessly grinding dudes to 10 against expert ai, and playing a few casuals online using this control priest deck im slowly tweaking (mind control, so good at key moments lol).

- Are there any cards that are limit 1, or are they all 2? Is there any reason not to have 2 of every card you'd use? As in I should pretty much always expect 2 cards of each thing out of opponents.
- taking out enemy minions should be priority over attacking hero unless you know you can win that turn?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bkn1nI5IMAAiKDP.jpg:large

dont know if anyone played priest, but some insight on things on can improve on the cheap (will get another ancient watcher, thoughtsteal, injured blademaster sounds like a must for priest).
- Yeah 30 is the limit, and you can't play with less (the game won't let you)

- Legendaries have a limit of 1, so you can't have say 2 Leroys, but you can have as many legendaries in your deck as you want (e.g a Leroy, a Cairne, a Ragnaros, etc)

There are situations where you only want one of a certain card, for example Druids will often run only one Savage Roar and one Force of Nature, because that is often their finisher. In my Warrior deck I only run one Brawl and one Gorehowl.

- Yeah, many times board control is the most important thing, unless you have lethal (i.e a guaranteed kill), there are exceptions to this rule but starting out it's best to go for board control and trading efficiently (e.g taking out a 4 mana minion with a 1 or 2 mana minion/card)

- I've never played Priest, but most of them seem to run with Lightspawns, Lightwells, that spell that doubles the health of a minion, and the spell that makes the attack of a minion the same as its health (good way to get 14/14 lightspawns, or 10/10 Lightwells). Probably shouldn't have two Mind Controls in your deck, since it's a 10 mana card.

In the beginning you should probably be crafting good neutral cards, http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/general-strategy/408-starting-stone-3-your-first-crafts is a pretty good guide for what cards to craft first (might be a little out of date).

de1irium

Correct.

Legendaries (orange gem) are limit 1. Everything else is 2. Sometimes you'll see one of a card if it's only for a specific combo / condition. You should definitely assume 2x of any hard removal (polymorph, hex, etc...) or AOE (Flamestrike, Lightning Storm, etc...).

It's going to somewhat depend on what kind of deck you're playing. Some decks focus heavily on early face damage, forcing their opponent to trade/remove minions. Others focus on keeping the board clear and then hammering late-game. I'm sure someone here has a better answer than this, but it's not entirely black and white.

Aylinato

What's that looking like, card wise? I have a control hunter that has been pretty great too.

Two core hounds, the taunt thing dude, all the damaging spells, misdirection, and a lot of beasts

Still have no legendaries, but I did craft a second molten giant for my handlock deck

Are there any decks with a good matchup against this cancer called warlock zoo? It and huntard are about all that i encounter on the ladder, and I'd like to pick something that just hates on the deck. Don't really mind if my matchups are worse against other things.

zoukka

Goddamn disconnect losses :(

Are there any decks with a good matchup against this cancer called warlock zoo? It and huntard are about all that i encounter on the ladder, and I'd like to pick something that just hates on the deck. Don't really mind if my matchups are worse against other things.

Mass removal. Big ass taunts. Lifegain.

scy

Control Warrior does well. Especially with the primary counters to it (Shaman, Warlock Giants) being held back in a heavy Zoo and Hunter meta.

I just made a hunter deck specifically designed to counter it. Stuck a blood knight in and some other tech against it: mark and an owl to stop their taunts. Played 4 ladder games. 1 against shaman (autowin), 1 against a hunter which i lost, and two against warlock zoo (one was murloc / zoo), creamed both of the warlocks. I am happy.

ShinNL

Anyone getting extreme cases of lose streaks? I'm talking about losing about 10 games in a row dropping several ranks in one go. I'm getting it so often I'm actually used to it, but in the past it really frustrated me how bad my luck is. Or maybe it's just the match ups. Trying to do my Priest daily now... I'm at 4 losses and 0 wins now, hah...

zoukka

Anyone getting extreme cases of lose streaks? I'm talking about losing about 10 games in a row dropping several ranks in one go. I'm getting it so often I'm actually used to it, but in the past it really frustrated me how bad my luck is. Or maybe it's just the match ups. Trying to do my Priest daily now... I'm at 4 losses and 0 wins now, hah...

Only delusional people blaim 10 losses on pure luck :b

Hunter aggro is making me want to stop playing warlock until UTH is changed. I think I beat 1 this weekend. Often times I can look at the loss and see what mistake I made or what card could've saved me. Against hunter aggro decks I feel like I never stood a chance.

edit: Warlock giants/handlock not warlock rush.

ShinNL

Only delusional people blaim 10 losses on pure luck :b

Thing is, I get my wins quite easily with Rogue and Druid... classes that aren't my favorites. This vicious cycle is getting kind of lame though...

I've also yet to see people play unpopular classes and win with it that don't include Leeroy.

Edit: Switched to my Warlock Zerg (not Zoo) deck: instantly got my 2 daily wins. And that after 6 Priest losses.... this game, lol.

zoukka

Hunter aggro is making me want to stop playing warlock until UTH is changed. I think I beat 1 this weekend. Often times I can look at the loss and see what mistake I made or what card could've saved me. Against hunter aggro decks I feel like I never stood a chance.

UTH really swings the matchup to almost unwinnable territory.

br3wnor

I've been playing exclusively as a control Warrior (not following a specific prebuilt deck, but I'd call my play style control) the past few weeks and feel pretty good about my deck as I'm winning more than half my games in ranked play. However, I cannot for the life of me beat an aggro hunter deck unless I get extremely lucky. I just had a match that was over by like the 5th turn and got absolutely destroyed. Do these decks at least lose to other classes consistently? I'd feel better about losing to them if it was a matchup thing but they just seem so unbelievably OP right now. Murloch rush decks, while I hate playing them, I at least beat on a semi regular basis but these super aggressive hunter decks just kick my ass.

ShinNL

I'll just share this here, if you just wanna climb up the ranks or you're a bit tired of having loss streaks.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/42793-zerg

It's super super dirty, probably even more so than the Zoo deck.

Edit:

Yep, switching back to Mage and suddenly I hate this overpowered UTH nonsense again. Que defense squad using Leeroy as a counter argument.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Just getting started with this game and I like it alot, it's helping me get over abandoning DOTA 2.

Again I'm just barely getting started but I feel like I'm DESTROYING with Shaman. Like, easily 90% win rate. Is this just because I'm matched with morons? This is the deck I'm using:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...:2;390:2;434:1;435:2;491:2;502:2;604:2;636:2;

I got super lucky finding Al'Akir but honestly he doesn't even come in to play a lot of the time. Anything I can do to improve this deck? Also I'm trying to get familiar with the terms and whatnot. Is this a "midrange" deck?

zam

I've been playing exclusively as a control Warrior (not following a specific prebuilt deck, but I'd call my play style control) the past few weeks and feel pretty good about my deck as I'm winning more than half my games in ranked play. However, I cannot for the life of me beat an aggro hunter deck unless I get extremely lucky. I just had a match that was over by like the 5th turn and got absolutely destroyed. Do these decks at least lose to other classes consistently? I'd feel better about losing to them if it was a matchup thing but they just seem so unbelievably OP right now. Murloch rush decks, while I hate playing them, I at least beat on a semi regular basis but these super aggressive hunter decks just kick my ass.
Control Warrior vs Aggro Hunter should be in your favor, try to never put more than two minions on the board to mitigate UTH, or just one minion. Mulligan for taunts (Senjin Shieldmasta), always armor up ever turn if possible to stop the hunters hero power from putting you on the clock.

isny

napkin dispenser
I'll just share this here, if you just wanna climb up the ranks or you're a bit tired of having loss streaks.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/42793-zerg

It's super super dirty, probably even more so than the Zoo deck.

Edit:

Yep, switching back to Mage and suddenly I hate this overpowered UTH nonsense again.

I don't really see how this deck can win that often. I get the board control aspect, but I mean honestly, a druid or paladin is just going to heal through all of that damage. Mages can arcane explosion, paladins can consecrate, druids can swipe, anyone can pyromancer, rogues can fan of knives or destroy their weapon, etc. Too many board wipes.

ShinNL

I don't really see how this deck can win that often. I get the board control aspect, but I mean honestly, a druid or paladin is just going to heal through all of that damage. Mages can arcane explosion, paladins can consecrate, druids can swipe, anyone can pyromancer, rogues can fan of knives or destroy their weapon, etc. Too many board wipes.
I'd say try it and see how fast they can AoE vs how fast you can fill up a board. You'd be surprised how easily they're forced to AoE essentially 1.5 cards of mine.

isny

napkin dispenser
Just getting started with this game and I like it alot, it's helping me get over abandoning DOTA 2.

Again I'm just barely getting started but I feel like I'm DESTROYING with Shaman. Like, easily 90% win rate. Is this just because I'm matched with morons? This is the deck I'm using:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...:2;390:2;434:1;435:2;491:2;502:2;604:2;636:2;

I got super lucky finding Al'Akir but honestly he doesn't even come in to play a lot of the time. Anything I can do to improve this deck? Also I'm trying to get familiar with the terms and whatnot. Is this a "midrange" deck?

Def midrange with so few epics and legs.

I would drop bloodlust, drop elven archer and replace with the 1/1 with shield, drop a totemic if you really want to keep one in, otherwise drop it completely, drop an ooze as running two is silly, maybe replace it with an owl, loot hoarder instead of engineer, put in an azure drake, add in another silence (silence and one damage.)

That's a start, keep your current deck if you want, but maybe see if you have the cards to make the above changes, they should help.

StMeph

Thing is, I get my wins quite easily with Rogue and Druid... classes that aren't my favorites. This vicious cycle is getting kind of lame though...

I've also yet to see people play unpopular classes and win with it that don't include Leeroy.

Edit: Switched to my Warlock Zerg (not Zoo) deck: instantly got my 2 daily wins. And that after 6 Priest losses.... this game, lol.

I don't think it's reasonable or practical to expect every class to be a 50-50 chance to win against every other class. Class-unique cards and powers will always serve to create some matchup imbalances and mismatches. It's just a matter of balancing those within the greater system to ensure that no single class can win against all others at a favorable rate.

Especially if you're playing under-stocked classes just to meet the daily quests. That's even less likely to win, if your cards/decks aren't at the same level as your ranking or MMR.

isny

napkin dispenser
I'd say try it and see how fast they can AoE vs how fast you can fill up a board. You'd be surprised how easily they're forced to AoE essentially 1.5 cards of mine.

Yeah def going to try. It seems similar to any other rush/aggro deck though, and that can always be hit or miss, so will def try it out and see how it does at the higher ranks.

ShinNL

I don't think it's reasonable or practical to expect every class to be a 50-50 chance to win against every other class. Class-unique cards and powers will always serve to create some matchup imbalances and mismatches. It's just a matter of balancing those within the greater system to ensure that no single class can win against all others at a favorable rate.

Especially if you're playing under-stocked classes just to meet the daily quests. That's even less likely to win, if your cards/decks aren't at the same level as your ranking or MMR.
That's the thing that bugs me. There are 3 classes that I didn't mass disenchant: Shaman, Priest and Rogue. I used a lot of dust to create a bunch of Shaman things as well (2x Earth Elemental, 2x Farsight). Almost every neutral I used my dust for was for Shaman (Faceless, Gadgetzan).

My super shitty Druid with no Wrath (yep, I even disenchanted commons), no Starfall, no Druid of the Claw (at first), no any of the Ancients just wrecked stuff (I think I posted about this somewhere in the thread). It was dumb.

Same with my Zerg deck: the reason there's no Flame Imp wasn't because that was my plan, it's because I don't even have that anymore after disenchanting it. There's 1 Doomguard because that's what I pulled recently... so yeah, investment doesn't mean much it seems.

It somehow all end up working quite well (especially for the Zerg deck).

I feel like for me to be able to play my Shaman again (my favorite class) is to get even more expensive cards that I don't own yet: Bloodmage Thalnos, Leeroy Jenkins and Al'Akir. Because those Earth Elementals or my other 6+ Legendaries aren't winning me any games on that class.

Yeah def going to try. It seems similar to any other rush/aggro deck though, and that can always be hit or miss, so will def try it out and see how it does at the higher ranks.
Cool. Share me any fun experiences you had with it. My log today of that deck:

- Backstab on Murloc Tidehunter.
- Swipe on a lone Imp Master.

I think because it has Murloc Tidehunter and some similarity with Zoo, people get completely confused on what the deck does. It's a lot less sensitive than the Zoo because of the many minions, giving you a much higher chance to buff something with the buff minions.

br3wnor

So the aus iTunes store say hearthstone runs on iOS v5.0 . This means I should be able to play on my og iPad running 5.1.1 right?

Nah, it won't run on the OG iPad. It honestly barely runs smoothly on the iPad 3 (don't know about the iPad 2, but i'm sure lower rez screen helps) so OG iPad seems out of the question.

br3wnor

Cool. Share me any fun experiences you had with it. My log today of that deck:

- Backstab on Murloc Tidehunter.
- Swipe on a lone Imp Master.

I think because it has Murloc Tidehunter and some similarity with Zoo, people get completely confused on what the deck does. It's a lot less sensitive than the Zoo because of the many minions, giving you a much higher chance to buff something with the buff minions.

I've stayed away from pre made decks since I started playing this game a few months ago but gave yours a shot today and it's pretty awesome. I actually felt like I was cheating kind of until my last few games when I started losing. Granted I'd never reached this rank before and started running up against some really beefed up decks. Here are my notes from 7 ranked matches:

- Mage: 22-0
- Warrior: 20-0
- Warlock: 20-0
- He was murloc rush
- Druid: 25-0
- Swipe + innervate turn 3 on dire wolf/shattered sun cleric
- Rogue: 4-0
- Closest so far, would have lost on next turn
- Warrior: 0-14 LOST
-Went on for too long, I was screwed by Gorehowl and Rag
- Hunter: 0-5 LOST
- UTH (4) + buzzard turn 3, would have won on final turn though

Casual play it absolutely dominates and I've yet to lose so far. Great deck to just grind the 3 win = 10 gold quests. Only issue I've found is no way to counter weapons and obviously if match goes too long I'm basically hosed. Real fun to play though, gonna help flesh out my main decks for sure w/ the daily quests

Haines

Banned
Zerg mage is first 'deck' ive played and I love it. Gave me my rank 20 and crushes casual letting me earn gold.

Very fun.

ShinNL

I've stayed away from pre made decks since I started playing this game a few months ago but gave yours a shot today and it's pretty awesome. I actually felt like I was cheating kind of until my last few games when I started losing. Granted I'd never reached this rank before and started running up against some really beefed up decks. Here are my notes from 7 ranked matches:
Glad you like it and thanks for the in depth review :)

It's quite fun to summon that much stuff, isn't it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom