• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

I really can't emphasize enough how much priest fucking sucks in this game. I went on a huge losing streak because they have shit now they nerfed mind control to the ground.

Aylinato

I really can't emphasize enough how much priest fucking sucks in this game. I went on a huge losing streak because they have shit now they nerfed mind control to the ground.

There are 4 targeted mind controls, 2 when there's 4+ units, and 2 temporary mind controls. Gonna have to be more specific about which one you are talking about

It's not even that. They just are way too slow and suck ass against all the fast decks.

Dynamic3

It ends games, so I guess it's remembered in that positive light (when it is you playing it) more than Rag. Sure, once and a while you can drop Rag and clear the board to have him hit for 8 to the face, but you spent 8 mana for that. Why not spend 4 mana for 6 damage, and then another 1-4 more mana for an additional 12, hitting for nearly 20 with that same 8 mana?

Definitely can turn the tide way better in a mid randge deck or an aggro one, and when you play against control, every turn you can win earlier matters, even if you drag it out until the 9th or 10th turn, you're near the end of your run, and really need to have a spike.

How do you add 12 dmg for only 1-4 mana?

Minsc

Gold Member
How do you add 12 dmg for only 1-4 mana?

Windfury + Rockbiter is +12 for 3 right? You can get close to 30 easy too, if they left you some board presence on the turn you drop Leeroy.

For fun: Turn 3: Feral Spirt, Turn 4: FFT, Turn 5: Earth Elemental, Turn 6: FFT, Turn 7 Leeroy + Rockbiter + Windfury, hitting for up to 37 that turn, depending on which things they remove in the prior turns.

Dynamic3

Windfury + Rockbiter is +12 for 3 right? You can get close to 30 easy too, if they left you some board presence on the turn you drop Leeroy.

For fun: Turn 3: Feral Spirt, Turn 4: FFT, Turn 5: Earth Elemental, Turn 6: FFT, Turn 7 Leeroy + Rockbiter + Windfury, hitting for 37 that turn, depending on which things they remove in the prior turns.

Touche.

KeRaSh

For fun: Turn 3: Feral Spirt, Turn 4: FFT, Turn 5: Earth Elemental, Turn 6: FFT, Turn 7 Leeroy + Rockbiter + Windfury, hitting for up to 37 that turn, depending on which things they remove in the prior turns.

I've been thinking about adding another win condition like the Leeroy + Windfury combo to my Shaman deck. Might have to toy around with that idea and see if it could work. Not sure what to replace, though.
Is Earth Elemental good again? Last time I played it, it instantly got Black Knighted or BGHed 9/10 times.

The missing 1/10 was Faceless Manipulator into sad face combo :(

LaneDS

Folks that play warrior... will you use Slam on an early 3/2 minion if you have no minion or weapon answer yourself, or do you generally wait for the card draw?

scy

Depends entirely on the match-up and what the minion is. Is it a a Knife Juggler? Slam the fuck out of it. Hunter aggro, Warlock Zoo or Murlock? Slam the fuck out of it.

It also depends on the hand and how desperate I am to fix it with card draw.

Edit: This really answered nothing. I guess the bigger question I ask myself is how many turns am I considering letting this 3/2 live just so I maybe get to draw a card down the road. If my hand has no early gas to deal with it (Armorsmith + damage to ping it, Fiery War Axe), I have to ask what kind of hand I kept anyway. Most decks that run random 3/2s out on early turns are an aggro deck, however, so you'd usually just Slam it due to that and accept that your goal here is to not die until you can stick a massive threat that is outside their range.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Reconnect feature on the iPad isn't well done, I've disconnected from the last 5 games and it takes a solid minute to get back in, most of the he time you are hitting the rope or your turn is over

GeeDuhb

So I am sure this has been talked about countless times here, but I really suck at arena. Like SUCK. But I enjoy playing it (until I get frustrated cause I have never won more than 3 matches...)

Does anyone have any general tips to draft a better deck? I think more often than not I fall into the "drafting the best card out of the 3," and draft a shitty deck lol...

johnsmith

remember me
So I am sure this has been talked about countless times here, but I really suck at arena. Like SUCK. But I enjoy playing it (until I get frustrated cause I have never won more than 3 matches...)

Does anyone have any general tips to draft a better deck? I think more often than not I fall into the "drafting the best card out of the 3," and draft a shitty deck lol...

I like these rankings
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AifXEOqTcGcLdFVvWk1GRjVJTHJUaTVLcGViR1RRTFE&gid=20

And read this to know why those cards are good. http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/arena-strategy/513-trumps-arena-tier-list-neutral-commons

And just keep an eye on your mana curve. Early on I just draft the best cards, but you'll also want to make sure you don't end up with too many expensive cards or too many cheap ones. You can't always just pick the highest ranked card. After about 15 cards I usually start drafting based on a curve.

bjaelke

Hearthstone‏@PlayHearthstone
Mysterious blades! They sprung to life and began cutting up everything – even the card text! What are they hiding?

SGCLxwc.jpg

It's obviously not a weapon, it has health instead of durability and it has the minion card frame.

Probably a "dancing swords" minion or some such.

rcl66

Playing ranked last night and 5 out of 6 were against Hunters. wtf. I have a pretty good Mage build and I lost every time to the summon and buff BS. I didn't think Hunter was that big but.....?

zoukka

Some days you have 2 Mana Wyrms, Frostbolt, a coin, a Young Priestess and you top deck nothing but spells from there on out.

And sometimes the opponent does.

Hearthstone‏@PlayHearthstone
Mysterious blades! They sprung to life and began cutting up everything – even the card text! What are they hiding?

If this is a new card, it's got a common rarity, meaning that unless they are classifying the adventure mode cards under a rarity system (which is possible, but I had just assumed that they would be basic cards), this is something other than an adventure mode card.

Sometimes I'm just stumped as to what to do in this game, like here:

http://i.imgur.com/CUdlLFD.jpg

What's the correct move?
what I'd do is run my pyromancer into the harvest golem, drop the stormpike commando and clean up the other golem that sprouts, then run turtle into swordsmith. Probably use class power to make a dude, as overextending with your bloodsail probably isn't worth it considering he may have a flamestrike in hand. Yeah times when you have to leave a minion around on the board are difficult, and then you just have to make a judgment call.

Minsc

Gold Member
If this is a new card, it's got a common rarity, meaning that unless they are classifying the adventure mode cards under a rarity system (which is possible, but I had just assumed that they would be basic cards), this is something other than an adventure mode card.

One of the ways I imagined adventure mode working is it is like a 10 stage fight or whatever, and there are ~15 possible cards to get from it (maybe: 1 legendary, 2 epics, 4 rares, 8 commons), and each time you finish the 10 stages you get a card at random (with normal odds of it being the legendary one 1% of the time, epic about 5%, rare 20% and common 74%). So you'd have to replay adventure mode 100s of times each month to get the full set from that month unless you were lucky and didn't get too many repeats.

zoukka

Second loss in a row to a mage who finishes me off with Pyroblast before playing 2-3 flamestrikes :D

This game needs more cards.

To add to this, In miracle it's also incredibly easy to drop leeroy then use shadow step twice for 18 damage (for 8 mana total). Add a couple cold bloods to it and that's 26 damage for 10 mana. If you have preparation, you can even throw a finishing eviscerate for 30 damage in one turn with nothing on the board before hand.

Obviously this would require a ton of cards and would be incredibly unlikely, but it just shows how well Leeroy can be comboed with cards in a deck that's more or less designed around using him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not that unlikely, I mean, the entire point of Miracle is to basically draw your entire deck with Auctioneers to setup your death combo.

Not that unlikely, I mean, the entire point of Miracle is to basically draw your entire deck with Auctioneers to setup your death combo.

Depends on the miracle rogue deck. There are a couple variants. Some depend on getting auctioneer more than others. Plus just the fact that you need to draw one of 2 out 30 cards in your deck makes it somewhat unreliable. They do have shiv, sometimes acolyte, and fan of knives to help though.

ShinNL

Depends on the miracle rogue deck. There are a couple variants. Some depend on getting auctioneer more than others. Plus just the fact that you need to draw one of 2 out 30 cards in your deck makes it somewhat unreliable. They do have shiv, sometimes acolyte, and fan of knives to help though.
And Azure Drake is like a mini Gadgetzan too.

Leeroy + 2 shadow steps? Yeah... but all of the games I've played miracle I can't think of a single time where my stars aligned THAT well.

Did battlnet just go down or something? Can't even connect to the launcher.

edit:
I guess I dc'd and the reconnect feature is dumb since I decided to close (fail to connect to battlenet) then wait a whole minute before trying to reconnect so I lost a match which I am pretty sure was in the bag.

Minsc

Gold Member
My play is kill the swordsmith with the Pyromancer, leaving him alive *though pyro blast will probably kill him).

Use the Stormpike + Turtle to kill the Harvest. Summon a 1/1.

Leaves a 2/1, but forces their hero power to remove your 3/1 pyro.

Then you leave yourself open to a Flamestrike clearing your whole board. Better to leave a mixed board of one minion at 2 health and another at 7 by going with georly's plan above. Forces him to trade in to the 4/2 with his 1/3 + hero power or use a spell. That hand desperately needs a top deck of a weapon either way.

ShinNL

Holy shit, I stole Doomguard + Leeroy with a Thoughtsteal on turn 8... with 9 mana next round. xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

how does it work with card backs? are there different ones? I remember reading something about getting to rank 20 in ranked play or something?

Minsc

Gold Member
how does it work with card backs? are there different ones? I remember reading something about getting to rank 20 in ranked play or something?

New card back every pvp season, for reaching rank 20, awarded at the end of the season. You instantly get the card back for reaching legendary though, upon reaching it (so I imagine people already have seen that - same as the animated hero portraits).

GeeDuhb

I like these rankings
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AifXEOqTcGcLdFVvWk1GRjVJTHJUaTVLcGViR1RRTFE&gid=20

And read this to know why those cards are good. http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/arena-strategy/513-trumps-arena-tier-list-neutral-commons

And just keep an eye on your mana curve. Early on I just draft the best cards, but you'll also want to make sure you don't end up with too many expensive cards or too many cheap ones. You can't always just pick the highest ranked card. After about 15 cards I usually start drafting based on a curve.

Awesome, I'll check those out! Thanks!

Maybe it's the first neutral spell. One damage magical knives to test the waters. It's obviously a minion card right now but that's just a subterfuge.

Just beat my first player who had a gold hero portrait, and it was a miracle rogue, so double plus for me.

The mana addict/VC variant.

edit:
Dang, this paladin had such a strong opening.

Redemption
loot hoarder (I killed it knowing it would revive)
then he BOKs it (didn't expect that
I had to take 12 damage from it to take it out

Then I slowly made my way back (cause I had board control after killing the BOK'd loot hoarder).

Lucky SOB gets a turn 8 tirion (no sap in hand, but black knight, I have 12 hp so I am safe from some finishers). I had lethal though if he didn't kill me, turns out I also top decked a leeroy either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom