• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordeccai

I kept getting awesome starting cards on my mage deck last night, like:

mana wyrm - sorcerer's apprentice - bloodmage thalmos - frostbolt - ice lance

:)

Was this in arena? I played against sombody like you last night. It was the most frustrating thing ever.

He threw out the mana wyrm on turn one or two, and for the next four turns played spell cards. It was ridiculous. Wound up having to three for one that card.

Beat that mage with 4 hp remaining though. I was so scared on the last turn he was going to fire ball my face, or frost bolt and hero power me. Sweet, sweet victory when he ended his turn by just playing a Venture mercenary.

ghostmind

I think I have the worst luck in getting legendary cards. Out of the 60+ packs I have opened so far, I only have 4 legendaries.

Also, any word on an expansion yet? I would love to see a couple new characters.

Phreaker

I think I have the worst luck in getting legendary cards. Out of the 60+ packs I have opened so far, I only have 4 legendaries.

Also, any word on an expansion yet? I would love to see a couple new characters.

How many legendaries are you expecting in 60 packs? I opened 80 and only got 3.

Minsc

Gold Member

Technically, the average is 1 legendary per 20 packs (5 cards per pack, legendary is a 1% chance per card, thus 5% shot per pack of 5 cards opened), so your luck is actually good. They really aren't that common. Getting 4 from 60 packs is not bad, considering there are people who get 0 legendaries from 60 packs (though some of them may be exaggerating, it certainly is possible).

There's no info yet about what is coming next (or more specifically when adventure mode is hitting, as that is technically next up) / further down the road, but hopefully they say something at PAX about their plans.

ZZMitch

I've only gotten one legendary since I started playing (and it's a Nozdormu). Have opened my fair share of packs... but my time will come!

There are lots of viable decks that don't need legendary cards to do well.

ghostmind

Technically, the average is 1 legendary per 20 packs (5 cards per pack, legendary is a 1% chance per card, thus 5% shot per pack of 5 cards opened), so your luck is actually good. They really aren't that common. Getting 4 from 60 packs is not bad, considering there are people who get 0 legendaries from 60 packs (though some of them may be exaggerating, it certainly is possible).

There's no info yet about what is coming next (or more specifically when adventure mode is hitting, as that is technically next up) / further down the road, but hopefully they say something at PAX about their plans.

Good to know. I guess that some of my Hearthstone buddies have incredible luck then, as they seem to be getting a legendary every 5 packs. I wonder at how much cash some folks have dropped on this game though, as I come up against players that are playing legendaries one after the other in some games.

Minsc

Gold Member
Good to know. I guess that some of my Hearthstone buddies have incredible luck then, as they seem to be getting a legendary every 5 packs. I wonder at how much cash some folks have dropped on this game though, as I come up against players that are playing legendaries one after the other in some games.

It takes about 90 minutes for a 7-12 win arena bout... which should amount to ~3 packs of cards. So figure every 9 hours of playing arena you'll get about 1 legendary. So basically 1 legendary per day. Any one who's played for a couple months now could easily have 30+ legendaries without having spent a single dollar if they're good at arena.

ghostmind

It takes about 90 minutes for a 7-12 win arena bout... which should amount to ~3 packs of cards. So figure every 9 hours of playing arena you'll get about 1 legendary. So basically 1 legendary per day. Any one who's played for a couple months now could easily have 30+ legendaries without having spent a single dollar if they're good at arena.

Again, good to know. I'm rather new to the game, and the last time I played a WarCraft game (Tides of Darkness) was in the late-90's, so I'm behind on the characters and lore.

Since I am averaging 15 to 30 mins a day on this game, it is going to take me a while to get additional legendaries.

Mareg

I can't seem to find out how to delete a custom deck on the iPad. I tried every touch gesture known to mankind. Please tell me it was not super obvious :(

JesseZao

I can't seem to find out how to delete a custom deck on the iPad. I tried every touch gesture known to mankind. Please tell me it was not super obvious :(

idk. Swipe to the right seems like the intuitive motion. Since it's a hover reveal in the top right corner on PC, maybe try tapping or holding on that corner if swipes don't work.

de1irium

I'm sure the math is sound, but does anyone actually play 9 hours a day on a regular basis?

I tried playing a burn mage deck with secrets (more midrange some versions) and I played 5 priests in a row... wtf. Why do so many people still play that crap class and why 5 (now 6 after I had 10 minute break) in a row...

Bungie's

You need to tap on the deck you want to delete and it will show you all the cards in it, then you just tap on the decks name and you will get 2 options (delete/rename). Hope that make sense.

Why are people with 3+ legendaries and lots of epics in their decks slumming it with me around rank 18. Does not compute, are they that bad at putting together decks that even with strong card advantage they can't compete with common/rare base decks?

Why are people with 3+ legendaries and lots of epics in their decks slumming it with me around rank 18. Does not compute, are they that bad at putting together decks that even with strong card advantage they can't compete with common/rare base decks?

everyone starts at 25 at a new season right? maybe they've just been lazy or busy.

I tried playing a burn mage deck with secrets (more midrange some versions) and I played 5 priests in a row... wtf. Why do so many people still play that crap class and why 5 (now 6 after I had 10 minute break) in a row...

amaz's stream has been getting more and more popular. also it's okay against control warrior and hunter. although it dies to warlocks.

de1irium

Still haven't got any Legendaries, getting pretty frustrating opening packs and getting 4 commons and 1 random rare.

SAGaJiU.jpg

H1PSTER

Doh my...

CARD GODS BE PRAISED!!!!!

LKNB6fu.jpg

However, I currently have a Shaman, Priest, Mage and Paladin deck that I'm wanting a legendary for.

I already have Ragnaros, Thalnos and Leeroy and I am really, really tempted to dust and get Cairne or Sylvanas.

amaz's stream has been getting more and more popular. also it's okay against control warrior and hunter. although it dies to warlocks.

They're just standard priest decks. Nothing special even in the slightest. Basically, did you get auchenai + circle? No? You lose 80% of your matches.

Only annoying since I am testing some weird deck and playing exactly the same class over and over, a class it isn't designed to beat since priest is so not present in the ranked ladder.

They're just standard priest decks. Nothing special even in the slightest. Basically, did you get auchenai + circle? No? You lose 80% of your matches.

Only annoying since I am testing some weird deck and playing exactly the same class over and over, a class it isn't designed to beat since priest is so not present in the ranked ladder.

it has a lot of tools, though. and thought steal is a pretty good card. amaz gets legend every single season as priest. so there's that.

Was this in arena? I played against sombody like you last night. It was the most frustrating thing ever.

He threw out the mana wyrm on turn one or two, and for the next four turns played spell cards. It was ridiculous. Wound up having to three for one that card.

Beat that mage with 4 hp remaining though. I was so scared on the last turn he was going to fire ball my face, or frost bolt and hero power me. Sweet, sweet victory when he ended his turn by just playing a Venture mercenary.

Nope, just friendly games with my wife :)

Doh my...

CARD GODS BE PRAISED!!!!!

LKNB6fu.jpg

However, I currently have a Shaman, Priest, Mage and Paladin deck that I'm wanting a legendary for.

I already have Ragnaros, Thalnos and Leeroy and I am really, really tempted to dust and get Cairne or Sylvanas.

One day I shall have a golden Legendary of my very own... Hopefully on my birthday. It's this month and I resolved not to spend any of my gold till then, then opening a ton of packs at once.

animus82

Banned
Wow, thank you. This link is gold.

First deck I drew I went 12-1 as Mage and that's the first time I've been anywhere near 12 wins in Arena.

Yes, thank you for the link.

Some classes like Warrior or priest I can figure out but the other classes I need some help.

Just did a mage arena that went 7/3 (whoo got more than my money back and... umm... a flare!) with zero fireballs, zero flame strikes, and only 1 water elemental (no mana wyrms either).

MVP was definitely stampeding kodo... damn I need to grab him every time he comes up. Soooo goood.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I just downloaded this randomly for my iPad yesterday, and am enjoying it, but I'm getting my ass kicked against other people. They keep using ridiculous cards that wipe out my entire minions and stuff like that, is there a guide to building a decent beginner deck somewhere? It feels really cheap starting out.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
ive taken to slow rolling aggro players as my own personal revenge, always nice to make a game longer for those who want it over at the first 4 cards

I just downloaded this randomly for my iPad yesterday, and am enjoying it, but I'm getting my ass kicked against other people. They keep using ridiculous cards that wipe out my entire minions and stuff like that, is there a guide to building a decent beginner deck somewhere? It feels really cheap starting out.

Here are some good beginner tips:

1. Beat all regular AI. This unlocks all characters to be available to play.

2. Level each character to level 10. This unlocks all their standard cards.

3. Beat each AI expert character once..You get lots of gold for this.

4. Starting playing online. By this time you'll know which character you like most, so then go an look for a beginner deck. Rush/aggro decks tend to be the cheapest to make and are effective.

5. Buying the 40 pack of cards really helps when you start. It's a great game, and definitely worth supporting.

Red_Man

Here are some good beginner tips:

1. Beat all regular AI. This unlocks all characters to be available to play.

2. Level each character to level 10. This unlocks all their standard cards.

3. Beat each AI expert character once..You get lots of gold for this.

4. Starting playing online. By this time you'll know which character you like most, so then go an look for a beginner deck. Rush/aggro decks tend to be the cheapest to make and are effective.

5. Buying the 40 pack of cards really helps when you start. It's a great game, and definitely worth supporting.
Alright, cool. Thanks for the tips, I am enjoying it, it just feels really cheap right now with these guys wiping me out without a sweat. I'll try doing what you recommended.

Alright, cool. Thanks for the tips, I am enjoying it, it just feels really cheap right now with these guys wiping me out without a sweat. I'll try doing what you recommended.

Yeah, if you hop on online ranked right away, it'll be a tough going and probably ruin a lot of the game...Progressing through the AI is a great way to learn the basics, and gives you time to see what character is a good fit.

If you've played CCGs before then it seems the transition is really fast and skills with transfer. If you're like me and had never played a CCG before, then going slowly with a lot of practice is what it takes.

Hearthpwn seems to be the go to site for a lot HS info/deck building resources.

Red_Man

Yeah, if you hop on online ranked right away, it'll be a tough going and probably ruin a lot of the game...Progressing through the AI is a great way to learn the basics, and gives you time to see what character is a good fit.

If you've played CCGs before then it seems the transition is really fast and skills with transfer. If you're like me and had never played a CCG before, then going slowly with a lot of practice is what it takes.

Hearthpwn seems to be the go to site for a lot HS info/deck building resources.
I've played CCG's as a kid, but that was a long time ago, I've picked up on this fairly easily.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Racked up a bunch of wins with my Mage in ranked yesterday and jumped from 24 to 20! I get that special card back at the end of the month now, right? If I lose and drop to 19 (is that possible?) will I not get it?

Matchmaking seems a lot better than a week ago. I only lost twice, and only to players with decks full of rares and a Ragnos. Shut down a warlock and he conceded in turn 6!

Racked up a bunch of wins with my Mage in ranked yesterday and jumped from 24 to 20! I get that special card back at the end of the month now, right? If I lose and drop to 19 (is that possible?) will I not get it?

Matchmaking seems a lot better than a week ago. I only lost twice, and only to players with decks full of rares and a Ragnos. Shut down a warlock and he conceded in turn 6!

Yeah, you don't lose rank until you hit 20, but can never drop below 20 once you're there. You will get the special card back.

I still wish there was some tiered incentive for getting higher ranks in constructed/ranked play. The idea that a person with rank 1 and rank 20 get the same reward seems unfair to me..It's basically hit rank 20, or legendary...Nothing between matters.

Yeah, you don't lose rank until you hit 20, but can never drop below 20 once you're there. You will get the special card back.

I still wish there was some tiered incentive for getting higher ranks in constructed/ranked play. The idea that a person with rank 1 and rank 20 get the same reward seems unfair to me..It's basically hit rank 20, or legendary...Nothing between matters.

Ok, I see. And yeah, different card backs for higher ranks sound like a good idea, too, even if it's just "rank 5 and better get glittery versions."

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Decided to spent all my arena winnings today on some cards and I just got two legendaries in one pack!

hKORKrA.gif

Two good ones as well - Grommash and Black Knight. I also got Pyroblast from the same pack.

I think I should quit while I'm ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom