• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar

I hate it when I'm having a nice back and forth game that ends in cockiness if I lose. Moments like when my opponent finally plays a game ending card after a civil game, he hovers it over the board for an extended time before playing it.

It's like, alright, you got me....play the damn card already! Lmao.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Playing at a bottom ranking and running into a guy with a legendary card, seriously? This is really annoying when I don't even have a chance, although I shouldn't be surprised a Blizzard game has huge balance issues.

bjaelke

You don't have to be good to own legendary cards. There's probably a reason he's at the same level as you

maybe he just started his ranked season

Oscar

Playing at a bottom ranking and running into a guy with a legendary card, seriously? This is really annoying when I don't even have a chance, although I shouldn't be surprised a Blizzard game has huge balance issues.
There were quite a few Seasons back in the beta, so some of these Legendary wielders may have just returned from a hiatus. I've been playing since October and just returned last night. My rank was reset to 25 so I was pitted against newbies despite having multiple Legendaries.

With that said, I've gotten stomped by players that countered my legendaries without using a single one themselves. Legendaries don't guarantee a win, they can easily be countered.

Red_Man

Just had a game where we both ran out of cards and I was able to finish the guy off after he was out. Close games like that are pretty fun. This game is perfect for the iPad.

With that said, I've gotten stomped by players that countered my legendaries without using a single one themselves. Legendaries don't guarantee a win, they can easily be countered.
The one the guy used against me was a Warlock one that boosted his health and gave him a bunch of tough minions and a weapon, blah blah. Was just annoying to see.

Brakara

Playing at a bottom ranking and running into a guy with a legendary card, seriously?

In ranked play you can meet anyone at the same rank (since everybody starts at the same low rank). If you want matchmaking based on skill (or win/loss ratio) you should play casual.

Xater

Made a Canadian account on iTunes so I could get the iPad version. This game plays great on it, also really happy with the performance on the Air.

Szadek

I want more boosters like this:
qEahtVy.jpg

Ade

I've got a bunch of Hearthstone flyers, each with a code on to be redeemed for a free pack of cards.

As for the sake of my sanity I dare not go near a WoW related game, they're of no use to me.

First 5 people to PM me get a code each.

Ade

Holy PM spam batman

Red_Man, Cooloff, Slayer-33, bjaelke and profit, you have PMs with cards now.

Everyone else, sorry, all gone!

Red_Man

Anyone else having trouble logging on? I am EST coast, nothing about server maintenance
I just tried to get on and it wouldn't let me, I'm assuming something is up with the servers. Also on the EST coast.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Started off 0-2 with a Mage deck that I thought was riddick. Pyroblast, 3 Flamestrikes, 3 Fireballs, 2 Frostbolts.

Then I won 12 in a row lol. Get maged.

It could be someone who is just stating to climb after the ladder reset or someone who is just terrible at the game and happens to have a legendary card. It's not really a balance issue and the recent ladder change will help ameliorate the issue of good players having to climb through the lower ranks after a reset. But there will always be players who skip a season and come back at rank 25.

When I first started playing I really wanted matchmaking to take your overall card quality into account. But as I learned more and more about the game I realized it doesn't really matter. Not having legendary cards prevents you from building certain decks but it doesn't prevent you from building competitive decks. In fact, when I'm climbing the lower ranks I play a rush deck that doesn't have a single legendary or epic and it works really well.

Haunted

What excites me about new cards isn't just.. well, new cards, but also that they're going to switch up the existing card balance.

For example, every new weapon card introduced will increase the value of Ooze and Harrison Jones.

Celegus

I don't see how they could possibly account for that, some people can just be lucky and get a legendary in their first or second booster (like my wife). I finally tried ranked for the first time a couple days ago and it was going pretty well until I just got wrecked by Tirion (followed by a Pyromancer + Equality after I finally killed him).

Red_Man

Is there a consensus on best /easiest classes? I've been doing pretty well with a mage and just running with it.

I don't see how they could possibly account for that, some people can just be lucky and get a legendary in their first or second booster (like my wife). I finally tried ranked for the first time a couple days ago and it was going pretty well until I just got wrecked by Tirion (followed by a Pyromancer + Equality after I finally killed him).
I was under the impression that the legendary cards weren't acquired until you reached higher ranks / later states in the game. Still frustrating, but I've got the hang of it more or less and have built up a better deck.

Mirimar

What excites me about new cards isn't just.. well, new cards, but also that they're going to switch up the existing card balance.

For example, every new weapon card introduced will increase the value of Ooze and Harrison Jones.

It also means less options on how to deal with weapon-centric decks since you can only have 2 oozes and 1 Harrison. If they do add more weapons, I hope they add new cards that can help deal with them as well.

Raxus

Not to mention more love for particular classes to balance things.

Is there a consensus on best /easiest classes? I've been doing pretty well with a mage and just running with it.

Currently? I believe the top tier are Hunter, Druid, and Warlock.

Haunted

I was under the impression that the legendary cards weren't acquired until you reached higher ranks / later states in the game. Still frustrating, but I've got the hang of it more or less and have built up a better deck.
http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/constructed-strategy/1835-hs-class-power-ranks-april-2014

Funnily enough, while Mage is one of the weakest classes in high level constructed, it's widely considered far and away the best class in Arena.

That said, the above link is considering the highest level of play, I think if you're just starting out, you can make any class work really well for you. What cards you have and what cards you personally like are much more important at that stage than what's considered "the best" by others.

I think the easiest decks I've had personal experience with were Hunter rush and Reynad's 4 dmg Warrior deck.

Red_Man

Currently? I believe the top tier are Hunter, Druid, and Warlock.
From my play so far in the early stages, Druid seems to be the far away best class.

http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/constructed-strategy/1835-hs-class-power-ranks-april-2014

Funnily enough, while Mage is one of the weakest classes in high level constructed, it's widely considered far and away the best class in Arena.

That said, the above link is considering the highest level of play, I think if you're just starting out, you can make any class work really well for you. What cards you have and what cards you personally like are much more important at that stage than what's considered "the best" by others.

I think the easiest decks I've had personal experience with were Hunter rush and Reynad's 4 dmg Warrior deck.
Thanks for the link, I have all the classes accessed, just haven't thoroughly played with all of them yet.

Raxus

From my play so far in the early stages, Druid seems to be the far away best class.

They are top tier for a reason. Excellent options, Innervate gets your big minions out fast creating a great answer to rush decks.

The big downside is they are one of the more expensive decks to make typically since you will want at least a legendary or two in the deck.

My current Quests are wins with Priest, Paladin or Warlock (well 1. is Priest and Warlock, 2. is Priest and Paladin and 3. is 3 Wins, flat)

I'm going for Priest ones first, but I'm only level 2, so I don't have a lot of the cards for the Basic Deck Recommendations I've seen a lot online.

I've got a few pretty nice Priest cards from packs, 1 Thoughtsteal, for example.

I think right now my strategy of "Hey, let's just throw whatever new neutral cards you have that sound cool in there" isn't really the best. Any suggestions for general Priest stratagems?

Minsc

Gold Member
In ranked play you can meet anyone at the same rank (since everybody starts at the same low rank). If you want matchmaking based on skill (or win/loss ratio) you should play casual.

That and people with very good decks will purposely grind Ranks 20-15 for the animated portraits and wins for the daily 100g limit, as it's the quickest way to get wins - which is all you need for those things.

If Blizzard were smart they'd only count wins for the animated portraits at legendary rank, to encourage legendary players to not sit there idling on their high placement, and it'd also give no incentive to lurk at rank 20 and kill all the new players (though too late for that now). They'd have to rework the gold rewards a little, but that is doable as well. The ranked system should have unique rewards for hitting each rank once per Season, and that's it. Like you get to rank 12, you get X gold. Rank 11 earns Y gold. Rank 10 gets you 1 expert pack. And so on.

Celegus

That and people with very good decks will purposely grind Ranks 20-15 for the animated portraits and wins for the daily 100g limit, as it's the quickest way to get wins - which is all you need for those things.

What's this? Is it different from the 10g for winning 3 games, or do some people actually play that much?

bjaelke

Hearthstone @PlayHearthstone
These sacs have been appearing in the Inn! I-I think something is moving inside! Don’t tell me what’s inside!

PvE mode getting closer by the day. PAX reveal imminent?

Raxus

I think right now my strategy of "Hey, let's just throw whatever new neutral cards you have that sound cool in there" isn't really the best. Any suggestions for general Priest stratagems?

Go to customize decks. Mouse over to your priest deck and click the red x. Build a mage deck instead.

Seriously, priest is 7 kinds of garbage even with good cards.

Yeah, I keep rolling Priest in Arena to see if I can make it work, but I just find it so slow. It seems like none of the Priest class cards give any help in the first 4-5 turns, so you're basically banking on getting some solid early neutral minions to have any chance.

cjp

So, the iPad version is still only available in Aus, right? I can't find it in the UK store anywhere.

Go to customize decks. Mouse over to your priest deck and click the red x. Build a mage deck instead.

Seriously, priest is 7 kinds of garbage even with good cards.

Yeah, I keep rolling Priest in Arena to see if I can make it work, but I just find it so slow. It seems like none of the Priest class cards give any help in the first 4-5 turns, so you're basically banking on getting some solid early neutral minions to have any chance.

Yeah but this quest tho

Copenap

Pulling other Blizzard properties into Hearthstone would open up like a billion new adventure, card and board opportunities. I'm all for Diablo and Starcraft-themed boards.

That would be incredible - this has to happen now!
I don't have a source for you guys but I remember reading that they ruled out ever using their other franchises within Hearthstone, HS is strictly Warcraft.

ghostmind

For the April exclusive card-backs, you have to be at least Level 20 by the end of the month to get the Pandaria card-back, and level 0 to get the legendary card-back, correct?

I'm not going to be anywhere close to 0 by EOM, but at least 20 is a lock.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't have a source for you guys but I remember reading that they ruled out ever using their other franchises within Hearthstone, HS is strictly Warcraft.

Yeah, there was an interview where this question came up, and Blizzard said they would never put in cards from outside Warcraft. I doubt they'll make a Hearthstone for other franchises either.

For the April exclusive card-backs, you have to be at least Level 20 by the end of the month to get the Pandaria card-back, and level 0 to get the legendary card-back, correct?

I'm not going to be anywhere close to 0 by EOM, but at least 20 is a lock.

The legendary card back is not exclusive to any month, and you get it instantly too, not at the end of the month like the rank 20 one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom