• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinFonda

Anyone encountered a never-ending turn for their opponent? I'm not sure if it's an intentional bug or not, but a Warlock I just played put out a booty bay bodyguard and then for the next 10 mins just sat there hovering over his cards. Earlier just as I passed my turn to him, during the card draw he said he was almost out of time, I thought he immediately passed his turn back to me; I think maybe even I drew a card, but it was not actually my turn.

What makes me think it was maybe some intentional glitching is the fact he was losing and he decided to wait around forever. I quit out thinking I could try rejoining the match, but didn't work.

Wellppp.... anyone encountered this glitch?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ladder is different from competitive. Hunter works better in Ladder because it has a decent matchup vs everyone (and is autowin vs Shaman, another popular class), but in a tournament with sideboards, they can get countered pretty easily.

I'd love if Blizzard did a limited edition real world release of physical cards for this game.

If we consider this curent build, Season 1, just release an entire collection of Season 1 cards...It'd be cool to own.

If there isn't a physical version on sale at the next Blizzon, i'll be shocked.

Limited run, convention exclusive, take my money now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The game would be very hard to keep track of using paper.

Ladder is different from competitive. Hunter works better in Ladder because it has a decent matchup vs everyone (and is autowin vs Shaman, another popular class), but in a tournament with sideboards, they can get countered pretty easily.

Well sure, but talking about class strength broadly, control warrior is best. I don't think the managrind tournament allowed sideboards. That would probably skew it even further.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/forums/managrind/content/8754-top-4-decklists-na-mg-mlg-open-24

Doesn't show sideboards so I assume they don't have them.

Plus warrior controls worst match ups in ladder are 2 decks considered bottom tier, paladin and priest.

JesseZao

Electronic board...

Like a tablet device ;)

A half way solution could be to attach a card reader to a tablet and have the tablet be the game board. Then you'd play with physical cards and not have to have two tablets to let you play face to face.

A full on physical retail would be bigger and you'd scan/swipe a card then place it on the board or select the target. Health and attack would be digital counters for each slot.

If I was more a hobbyist I'd make it myself.

A deluxe line could be added to have 3D modeled figurines for cards that would snap on top of the board's card slots. You could also just display them on a shelf if you wanted. First edition of the game could come with a deluxe promo mad bomber and three small bombs.

huh, paladins match up quite well against aggressive warlocks... or i got quite unlucky when they wrecked my field with that do 8 damage random move twice. And the paladin legendary is quite annoying. forgot it becomes a 5 attack weapon after it dies... welp.

Still trying to find a good anti aggro deck thats pretty budget. hmmm.

RazorK1d

You guys asking for a limited physical release do realize that this game was already a physical CCG about 6-7 years ago? Cards have changed as well as rules, but it is that game. It's also where the majority if not all the art of the cards come from originally. I played the physical CCG back then and it was a lot of fun, but this improves on it in so many ways and it being digital is a revelation to me.

would be cool if there was an option to turn on little monster models for each summoned thing. I mean all these characters have WoW, warcraft3 models already... There still hasn't really been a digital ccg game that fulfills the dream of card game anime battles.

Haines

Banned
I have no idea what control hand lock zoo etc decks mean. I guess it's time I start reading some beginners guides. Which ones do you guys recommend that are up to date?

JesseZao

You guys asking for a limited physical release do realize that this game was already a physical CCG about 6-7 years ago? Cards have changed as well as rules, but it is that game. It's also where the majority if not all the art of the cards come from originally. I played the physical CCG back then and it was a lot of fun, but this improves on it in so many ways and it being digital is a revelation to me.

Sure, but it wasn't Hearthstone. Big diff. That ccg was just a gambling platform to get cosmetic items in wow.

jblank83

I have no idea what control hand lock zoo etc decks mean. I guess it's time I start reading some beginners guides. Which ones do you guys recommend that are up to date?

control decks want to keep your minions off the board while keeping their minions on the board

handlock uses their card draw to draw into a bunch of chunky cards, giants and such. With their hero ability mountain and molten giants are easy to play, as they'll build a big hand while taking lots of damage

lock zoo is a cheap rush deck with a lot of low cost but efficient cards and just a little bit of medium cost meat to finish off the kill

No idea bout guides. Just use google.

Wow, I cannot believe I beat this control warrior deck....

He managed to get like a 4 card advantage early on. I had him down to 11 with only like 9 damage in my hand. He didn't use a single shield block or alex before so I figured... he has 8 cards in hand he HAS to have one of those. No point in playing my whole hand so instead I just attack with deadly poison. He is down to 8. I had a si7 agent and eviscerate in hand so I need something to combo those 2 cards.

For some reason he didn't shield block or alexstrasa and just grommashes and armors up!

10 hp.

3 from weapon
4 from eviscerate
2 from si7 agent

But wait, top decked an azure drake.

+1 on eviscerate

= win

FStop7

Banned

It was actually 9 years ago, and Hearthstone is substantially different.

215530391_oLuDB-L-2.jpg

Lost about 8 games in a row just now when I just needed a single win to get enough gold for Arena. I can safely say that Warrior is fucking OP with those weapons and Hunter is just plain boring.

Card Boy

Banned
How does one get 8 losses in a row? The most got was like 4 or 5 and that was only because i was playing experimental and gimmicky decks.

Special C

Opponent flooded the board with Minions to Drop a Sea Giant. I faceless'd it then stole his with a Mind Control Tech. I feel dirty.

Aylinato

How does one get 8 losses in a row? The most got was like 4 or 5 and that was only because i was playing experimental and gimmicky decks.

Well, you get upset and start raging, you start making bad trades and decisions, sometimes get unlucky in there 2-3 matches you could have won because of RNG up the butt, and that's how I lose 8 in a row.

However then when I get down low enough I destroy people, so I go back up quickly. Although I changed my deck around and included board clear(8 mana from warlock) just because.

Strider

Saw this as soon as I got home today...

Hearthstone will no longer remain on screen when Alt + Tab are pressed in Full Screen mode.

YES. Only been playing a few days but the lack of borderless windowed option and the weird alt+tab functionally was already driving me crazy. It's great now.

bunbun777

New patch out fixes alt-tabbing, booya to that.

Unfortunately no more free quests when you finish your first of 3 but oh well.

Tried to find the notes on the home page but don't think they are up yet, can find them in the client though.

--edit, ugh beaten.

Aylinato

Saw this as soon as I got home today...

YES. Only been playing a few days but the lack of borderless windowed option and the weird alt+tab functionally was already driving me crazy. It's great now.

Unfortunately they took away the music while windowed and alt tabbed. I love the hearthstone music. I'd rather have it as an option I can leave on then no option

RazorK1d

It was actually 9 years ago, and Hearthstone is substantially different.

215530391_oLuDB-L-2.jpg

Hearthstone is different, but my point is that Blizzard already made a physical CCG based on WoW. It would be silly to create limited edition physical cards based on Hearthstone, especially when they already kinda exist, if not with the same stats.

Hearthstone is what I want all future CCG's to be like as far as it's digital representation on a 2D screen. What I really want is to play a game of Warhammer 40K using Occulus Rift and seeing my figures come to life in a virtual living room where the terrain/action is animated but I still have to pick guys up and place them, etc. Would be a cool concept for Heroclix as well. All I'm really saying is that I hope more tabletop/CCG that I was into make the transition to digital in some form or another so I can get back into them. Hearthstone has done that for me for WoW and I'm loving it.

JesseZao

Hearthstone is different, but my point is that Blizzard already made a physical CCG based on WoW. It would be silly to create limited edition physical cards based on Hearthstone, especially when they already kinda exist, if not with the same stats.

Hearthstone is what I want all future CCG's to be like as far as it's digital representation on a 2D screen. What I really want is to play a game of Warhammer 40K using Occulus Rift and seeing my figures come to life in a virtual living room where the terrain/action is animated but I still have to pick guys up and place them, etc. Would be a cool concept for Heroclix as well. All I'm really saying is that I hope more tabletop/CCG that I was into make the transition to digital in some form or another so I can get back into them. Hearthstone has done that for me for WoW and I'm loving it.

Hearthstone is a mainstream product, so additional merchandising would make sense. Wow ccg or warhammer are niche and completely different. Think how angry birds started and where it is now with retail products. I'm not saying blizzard will go that route, but it wouldn't be a stretch. Again, the wow ccg was merely a gambling platform for wow stuff, it isn't going to be remembered as being anything significant. Hearthstone will.

So I started using Arenavalue, thinking that I wouldn't see too different of results since I figured I pick, on average, pretty good value.

To get an "authentic" experience, I vowed to pick the highest value card no matter what my instincts or anything else said otherwise... First a mage deck (the one I mentioned earlier, no fireballs, flamestrikes, or polymorphs and only 1 water elemental) and then this second time a priest deck.

Where I'd been averaging 3-4 wins, I jumped up to 7-8 wins. It COULD be just a coincidence, I'll have to give it a few more times... but it's actually looking pretty good using it. Nothing like getting enough gold back to pay for my next run and then some and get a pack of cards.

JesseZao

Arenavalue really just helps you get in to an arena mindset if you're starting out or used to constructed. It makes you think why certain cards are valued high and think ahead on how to use them or play around opponents with them.

Minsc

Gold Member
So I started using Arenavalue, thinking that I wouldn't see too different of results since I figured I pick, on average, pretty good value.

To get an "authentic" experience, I vowed to pick the highest value card no matter what my instincts or anything else said otherwise... First a mage deck (the one I mentioned earlier, no fireballs, flamestrikes, or polymorphs and only 1 water elemental) and then this second time a priest deck.

Where I'd been averaging 3-4 wins, I jumped up to 7-8 wins. It COULD be just a coincidence, I'll have to give it a few more times... but it's actually looking pretty good using it. Nothing like getting enough gold back to pay for my next run and then some and get a pack of cards.

Probably coincidence for me as well, but I used arenavalue only about ~4-5 times before I hit my first ever 12-0 run. I probably did 30 runs before that and best I got was maybe 7 or 8.

Turn 4 kill if you go second. Maybe sneak one leper in to kill by turn 3.

Knife juggler dream would be fun too.

Makes me wish there was a custom mode for private matches that wouldn't have any deck restrictions.

15 Knife Jugglers, 15 Murloc Tidehunters? (Or, hell, 15 Wisps instead could be fun).

Aylinato

30 soulfires.

I mean only 15 would be able to be pulled. But it'd still work, you'd only need like 8 to win.

So, let's say you start off first. 4 cards, use 2 for 8. Next turn use one 12, hero power, 16, next turn use it 20, hero power 24, next turn 28 hero power 32.

Turn 4 wins. I'd take it.

If you start second the coin helps even more, because you start with 4 and if you discard the coin once you start off with 12 damage done, but you still win by turn 4.

I'll take it.

Could be a challenge mode to see how long you can last a la hearthstone horde mode.

30 Dust Devils*

*that don't have overload.
*and the player has the Warlock life tap ability.

It'd be some sort of sick race where you have to continuously deal 1 damage to each of them to keep them from overwhelming you.

Aylinato

30 Dust Devils*

*that don't have overload.
*and the player has the Warlock life tap ability.

It'd be some sort of sick race where you have to continuously deal 1 damage to each of them to keep them from overwhelming you.

Pyromancer would wreck that

djm

While I understand that control warrior is strong right now, I just can't stand facing 90% warriors in ranked right now. I'm only rank 15, and that control deck is all I'm seeing today. I can beat it with decent success, but it's just so dull to play the same thing over and over and over!

I might have to start buying arena tickets with my gold instead again even though I suck at it, just for the variety.

While I understand that control warrior is strong right now, I just can't stand facing 90% warriors in ranked right now. I'm only rank 15, and that control deck is all I'm seeing today. I can beat it with decent success, but it's just so dull to play the same thing over and over and over!

I might have to start buying arena tickets with my gold instead again even though I suck at it, just for the variety.

In my opinion, it is essentially the strongest deck in the game right now.

Handlock is second, mainly due to the leeroy + poweroverhwelming + faceless manipulator combo ranking in at 20 damage for 3 cards.

But warrior have grommash which is actually better despite being less damage because grommash triggers off of like 8 different cards in their deck (whirlwind, taskmaster, shield slam, slam).

Both decks tend to run alexstrasa making it possible that you go from 30-0 in 2 turns. Ragnaros is another bomb they tend to run. Both have incredible card draw capabilities.

I think warrior edges ahead just because it has a stronger early game as well as needing less specific cards for a lethal combo. And can't forget about their abilities to armor up and weapons. Just such a strong early game for a control deck it is kinda nuts to even call it a control deck. Oh, also brawl... biggest RNG swing in the game since tink/pagle nerf.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Probably coincidence for me as well, but I used arenavalue only about ~4-5 times before I hit my first ever 12-0 run. I probably did 30 runs before that and best I got was maybe 7 or 8.

I actually seemed to do better before I started using all these lists. I'm not sure what that means. Sometimes I think I just have horrible luck at this game. I never seem to get legendaries in my drafts. Meanwhile I run into people who draft two.

Card Boy

Banned
If Blizzard wants to make easy money offer another golden legendary for making a purchase like the beta. At this rate I am never spending another cent I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom