• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hereafter

Hey guys, just started playing the game a week ago. Looking off some GAFers to be friends with and practice against. Anyone want to add me?

Pickled#1421

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I change my mind, Paladin's are the most OP. What a joke with the amount of board wipes, instant heals, and instant damage they have at higher levels.

I change my mind, Paladin's are the most OP. What a joke with the amount of board wipes, instant heals, and instant damage they have at higher levels.

Paladins were much more popular when I started playing and I learned to play around them pretty consistently. Sometimes I still lose to them but still pretty rare. Last pally I lost to today I lost cause of some crazy RNG luck with avenging wrath and then he top decked that heal + 3 card draw with 0 cards prior in his hand... lucky as hell basically.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Paladins were much more popular when I started playing and I learned to play around them pretty consistently. Sometimes I still lose to them but still pretty rare. Last pally I lost to today I lost cause of some crazy RNG luck with avenging wrath and then he top decked that heal + 3 card draw with 0 cards prior in his hand... lucky as hell basically.
What class do you play? I'm having difficulties as a hunter, I can never get more then 2 minions on the board, and they constantly wipe me, and heal themselves. I must be using a shitty strategy.

Shaman vs. Mage, have a board of totems/minions that can kill next turn. Pulls Mirror Image, I only have two minions to kill them. Polymorphs one of them next turn as I play another minion, one damage short of lethal. Pulls Fireball and kills me. I had three cards left in my deck after Mirror Image was played, and one of them was Lightning Storm.

Seems like it's time to uninstall.

Broseybrose

Hey guys, just started playing the game a week ago. Looking off some GAFers to be friends with and practice against. Anyone want to add me?

Pickled#1421

I added you.

Broseybrose#1977 if anyone still unlocking basic cards would like to add me. ;) Truly any gaffer is welcome just warn if youre going to smash me.

Tarazet

i dont have half the cards they want, guess i gotta keep unlocking them

Start with Trump's basic decks. He has strong mid-range decks for every class. You can keep the same shell going, but substitute in better cards as you get them.. for example, if you take the Basic Warrior deck, it's already great - and catches a lot of people off guard because they don't expect a Warsong Commander deck anymore. But, I make these better substitutions since I have the cards (basically, every common, most rares, and a good number of epics):

1x Cleave > 1x Big Game Hunter (epic)
Bloodfen Raptor > Bloodsail Raider (common)
Novice Engineer > Loot Hoarder (common)
Shattered Sun Cleric > Frothing Berserker (rare)
Gnomish Inventor > Azure Drake (rare)
Boulderfist Ogre > Cairne and Ragnaros (Legendary)

Once you get the hang of it, it's not hard to come up with a deck that will keep opponents guessing. I come up against so many netdecks, I can tell which one I'm playing within one turn and count the cards to know what's probably coming next. If I don't know what I'm playing against, it becomes much harder to deal with.

zoukka

Shaman vs. Mage, have a board of totems/minions that can kill next turn. Pulls Mirror Image, I only have two minions to kill them. Polymorphs one of them next turn as I play another minion, one damage short of lethal. Pulls Fireball and kills me. I had three cards left in my deck after Mirror Image was played, and one of them was Lightning Storm.

Seems like it's time to uninstall.

If you are at six life against a mage, you shouldn't be surprised you lost :b

And 10k gold lol. Blizzard would have like ten players playing the new PvE content. Make it closer to 500 gold.

scy

Right now they're probably one of the worst Constructed classes :x

Edit: Though, for what it's worth, that's largely a function of the meta. They just don't do too well vs aggro in general.

Kinan

This game! Was tired of waiting for EU iPad version, so I created an Australian account and... now i am hooked. :)

Played till 3 o'clock am yesterday /today, really hard to leave when you are getting a winning streak.

Nick is Kinan, so feel free to add me, no idea what actually you can do with friends yet. :)

Trying different classes now, liking gameplay of druid, but winning actually with mage. Loving all the tactical options in
this game, really great stuff.

The game looks mighty fine on iPad 3, but there are few regular cases of slowdowns and battery drain is up there wth most graphically demanding
iOS games. Is it better on newer devices?

Minsc

Gold Member
If you are at six life against a mage, you shouldn't be surprised you lost :b

And 10k gold lol. Blizzard would have like ten players playing the new PvE content. Make it closer to 500 gold.

I think you're vastly under-estimating the number of people who would choose to pay money if it's $3 vs 500+ gold.

The game looks mighty fine on iPad 3, but there are few regular cases of slowdowns and battery drain is up there wth most graphically demanding
iOS games. Is it better on newer devices?

It pretty much runs flawlessly on all devices the generation after iPad 3 (missing shadows for now though on iOS).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

zoukka

I think you're vastly under-estimating the number of people who would choose to pay money if it's $3 vs 500+ gold.

lol I totally forgot the entry fee in real money, nvm. But I still think the gold fee won't be too high.

Then again it would be an ingeniously evil way to "sell" us new cards.

Any recommendations for interesting decks? I'm getting a bit bored of trying to grind up the ranks again especially now that I've hit 13 and it's nothing but hunters.

Last night I was in what could only be described as an installation of Hearthstone Performance Art.

Dude had a hand of only Legendaries (maybe a few early that weren't, but this went on so long I can't really remember), which he would play one at a time until he had a whole board of them. After knocking my priest down to like 15 he only targeted my minions and at that point he had the one card out that generated the chicken gun. So he just killed my minions, turned some of his into chickens, but left me alone for rounds and rounds. So I was healing this whole time, and actually got him down to like 6 and myself back up to like 26. Also, at one point he played that just amazing Murloc And Roll legendary, which I had never seen before (seriously this game is the best game ever).

It eventually went so long that we both ran out of cards (me a few rounds before him) and he just barely ended up winning (as I'd done a pretty great job clearing out his minions with the help a few card stealing spells) after the no card penalties.

Of course, I had to friend him.

Copenap

Any recommendations for interesting decks? I'm getting a bit bored of trying to grind up the ranks again especially now that I've hit 13 and it's nothing but hunters.
The get fewer if you keep climbing the ranks... then they get more frequent again...

I'm still a fan of Trumps budget Mage, lots of value minions to play with. Currently also having fun with Priests and they are easily viable at ranks 10+.

zoukka

Some days you see the nutter decks in Arena. A hunter I faced used 3, vultures, 3 UTH, 3-4 Animal Companions and all the filler in his deck was god tier, Loot Hoarders and arcane shots all the way. Even my mage had a hard time.

CoolOff

I have 4 minions on board in Arena, with lethal next turn. I'm on 6 hp. Mage has nothing but 15 hp, topdecks Ragnaros, and gets the 1/5 on my face.

No words...

Tarazet

Right now they're probably one of the worst Constructed classes :x

Edit: Though, for what it's worth, that's largely a function of the meta. They just don't do too well vs aggro in general.

You sure about that? They destroy Hunters, as long as you get divine shields early.

scy

You sure about that? They destroy Hunters, as long as you get divine shields early.

Paladin's weak point has always been aggro. They have nothing against it except hoping they make it to the late game. Hunter is probably one of their worst match-ups unless you make an early game deck just for it, which means just stuffing the deck with early curve neutrals. Paladin just doesn't offer much for the early game with their own toolkit.

scy

Just play a lot of Arena, really. You'll get there eventually. There's no real shortcuts besides putting in money.

dorkimoe

Just play a lot of Arena, really. You'll get there eventually. There's no real shortcuts besides putting in money.

but arena costs me coins haha

i figured that was the answer, wasnt looking for "easy way" just didnt know if i was missing something

scy

but arena costs me coins haha

i figured that was the answer, wasnt looking for "easy way" just didnt know if i was missing something

Get really good at Arena!

But, yeah, it's just kind of a long process of dailies until you get to the point that you can consistently go 7+ wins in Arena.

Dreavus

I'll probably be throwing some money at the expansion stuff. A while back I decided to start using extra gold for packs (leaving enough for an arena) which means I'm down to pretty much nothing. Since the announcement I've been trying to save up a bit, but when I'm "playing for gold" I get inordinately annoyed at this game, so I try not to think about it too much.

Basically I just cut myself off from getting packs with extra gold.

What class do you play? I'm having difficulties as a hunter, I can never get more then 2 minions on the board, and they constantly wipe me, and heal themselves. I must be using a shitty strategy.

Mostly rogue, but often mage and druid as well. Part of the difficulty is finding the right amount of pressure to get them to use equality without overextending into it. Then setting up lethal so they can't heal and deal with your board in the same turn.

Had a really qucik win against just here. I was playing Warlock and was against a Priest.

Turn 1 he plays a Northshire Cleric. Standard stuff, whatever. I coin into Faerie Dragon.

Turn 2 he hits me in the face and passes. I Blood Imp and Hero Power.

He concedes at the start of his turn.

I was quite pleased with that opening against a Priest tbh.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Question, does the $20 tier add significant deck variety to the game or is it only the $50 tier?

I feel relatively effective with basic decks, but I would prefer being able to not have 60-70% duplicates in every deck I use regardless of class in constructed.

However, I don't think I'm quite sold on wanting to spend $50 on the game yet.

dorkimoe

The ooze card says it destroys enemies weapon. I attack with him but it doesn't destroy the weapon? Am I reading it wrong?

dorkimoe

Ahhhh. Thanks.

Playing my first ever ranked now. Just to see what happens lol. My deck is poop but I wanted to see
I think I'm using a level 10 beginner deck haha

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ahhhh. Thanks.

Playing my first ever ranked now. Just to see what happens lol. My deck is poop but I wanted to see
I think I'm using a level 10 beginner deck haha
Generally speaking it's best to save Oozes when fighting paladins, warriors, and rogues, but other classes rarely or never pull out weapons so playing them early gets you a good card in the board.

Googling for Trump Basic (class name) can get you some nice set ups for an entirely basic card deck.

dorkimoe

Generally speaking it's best to save Oozes when fighting paladins, warriors, and rogues, but other classes rarely or never pull out weapons so playing them early gets you a good card in the board.

Googling for Trump Basic (class name) can get you some nice set ups for an entirely basic card deck.

Thanks I'll start searching now

I won!!! Haha. Time to retire from ranked

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Question, does the $20 tier add significant deck variety to the game or is it only the $50 tier?

I feel relatively effective with basic decks, but I would prefer being able to not have 60-70% duplicates in every deck I use regardless of class in constructed.

However, I don't think I'm quite sold on wanting to spend $50 on the game yet.

figure 75 expert cards will add some variety, but 200 adds a lot.

slippery slope though!

you can go through quite a lot of packs before you have all the rares / commons... only when you are starting to just have epics/legendaries left do packs more turn into slim chances to get what you need + guaranteed dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom