• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
Is there any ETA on when Curse of Naxx is to be released?

'This Summer'

fLoal.png

scy

Just change Buzzard, so it only draws when you play a beast card - not when you summon a beast.

Alternatively, just give Neutrals that take advantage of the enemy playing multiple minions in one turn. I think that'd be more interesting than directly messing with UtH.

Honestly, my main problem with playing against a Hunter is usually dealing with traps, not playing around UtH.

Q8D3vil

Make unleash the hound mana scale with the opponent minions.
Alternatively, just give Neutrals that take advantage of the enemy playing multiple minions in one turn. I think that'd be more interesting than directly messing with UtH.

Honestly, my main problem with playing against a Hunter is usually dealing with traps, not playing around UtH.
Game need neutral minion that can counter traps or something (similar to harrison jones/ooz)

I actually think that buzzard is what needs to be changed, not UTH. As dumb as it is, it's pretty normal to play around it now and it's very obvious how to play around it, but having a buzzard for guaranteed card efficiency is what makes it derpy. Unlike stuff like Mana totem or Gadgetzan you don't need to protect it or set it up because it's guaranteed value, extremely cheap, and lets you possibly clear the opponent's board while also drawing 2-4 cards.

Maybe have it draw a card for every beast you have at the beginning of your turn, like how they changed Pagle, or only draw cards for beasts with more than 2 attack, so you don't get card draw for turn 4 UTH but if you use your timber wolf you can draw.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hounds + Scavenging Hyena can be pretty lethal too if used correctly, I've gotten a SH to 20 damage before

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
They should just remove hunter from the game, honestly.

Warlock too.

Seriously though, I'd say like 80% of my games are against the same 2 decks. It's completely sucked the fun out of it. How do people have fun just c&p-ing a deck from online and derping through the ranks mindlessly.

Were they any good? I think it would depend too much on bloodlust to be a thing. Mid-range/burst shaman is definitely a thing though.

I beat 2 of them as beatdown warrior. Rank 9. The third one just did more damage than me with windfury and rockbiter combos.

zoukka

They should just remove hunter from the game, honestly.

Warlock too.

Seriously though, I'd say like 80% of my games are against the same 2 decks. It's completely sucked the fun out of it. How do people have fun just c&p-ing a deck from online and derping through the ranks mindlessly.

Is this unique to HS? No. Look at any RPG or other card games. Of course people ape famous decks and builds.

Now what is a HS thing is the problem if only a few decks dominate all others.

Minsc

Gold Member
Is this unique to HS? No. Look at any RPG or other card games. Of course people ape famous decks and builds.

Now what is a HS thing is the problem if only a few decks dominate all others.

It can be fun though, if you run in to the same deck a lot. I just crafted 2 Blood Knights, I may run 1 at all times in certain decks now that I have them, but in the zoo meta, I will start running 2. Should be interesting seeing how they deal with a 9/9 for 3 mana. :)

Adding Blood Knights and pyromancers to netdecks (not both in the same deck, obviously) is a ton of fun. They aren't cheap cards and Blood Knight is very situational so they don't show up on a ton of the cheap decks or the ones stuffed with legendaries, so they tend to surprise people and get a lot of value.

The Black Knight is a fun one too, because it's pretty niche legendary that can be very devastating. Also, adding Ragnaros as a finisher on a cookie-cutter deck tends to throw people for a loop as well, though in most decks Leeroy would probably be a better pick.

Copenap

Had a game today where the opponent coined out a 12-12 Blood Knight on turn 2, and I thought my double Argent Squire to counter his turn 1 Argent Squire was decent. Didn't expect that at all...

zoukka

It can be fun though, if you run in to the same deck a lot. I just crafted 2 Blood Knights, I may run 1 at all times in certain decks now that I have them, but in the zoo meta, I will start running 2. Should be interesting seeing how they deal with a 9/9 for 3 mana. :)

Yes every serious game should offer tools to punish a homogenic meta.

So close! So damn close!!!

17UbCYH.jpg

One win away from my first 12 win run.... I guess I can't complain with how much gold I got though....

gKJfpjl.jpg

Triple my gold investment AND a pack of cards? Yes please!

Run went like this... 1 win, 1 loss. 3 wins, 2 losses. 11 wins then finally my third loss. I was expecting it to be a 4 or 5 win run.

zoukka

I once had 6 frost bolts. I think I got 7 wins out of that

I don't think I'll ever see 12 wins in arena

It's just about building a consistent and safe deck. Solid early game is a must otherwise you will get rushed down at least three times in those 12-15 games.

blackflag

I played the beta a bit and loved it but I hate sitting in front of a computer after work so I didn't play it much. So now that it's out on IPAD I'm back in and it is glorious.

Invested some...a lot...of money and did pretty well with legendaries.

Alexstraza
Leeroy Jenkins
Baron Geddon
Archmage Antonidas
Old eye murk (popped up as a reward. Not sure why)
Illidan Stormrage (this guy sucks right?)
Grommosh Hellscream

I crafted Bloodmage Thalnos

I can craft 1 more but I haven't decided what would be best. Probably just save it until I figure out what I want to stick with.

Ran into a ton of divine shield paladin decks last night.

Aylinato

I played the beta a bit and loved it but I hate sitting in front of a computer after work so I didn't play it much. So now that it's out on IPAD I'm back in and it is glorious.

Invested some...a lot...of money and did pretty well with legendaries.

Alexstraza
Leeroy Jenkins
Baron Geddon
Archmage Antonidas
Old eye murk (popped up as a reward. Not sure why)
Illidan Stormrage (this guy sucks right?)
Grommosh Hellscream

I crafted Bloodmage Thalnos

I can craft 1 more but I haven't decided what would be best. Probably just save it until I figure out what I want to stick with.

Ran into a ton of divine shield paladin decks last night.

The murloc one is from collecting all the murlocs

Yeah, Illidan is like my only Legendary right now and he's so wack. I'm always compelled to put him in a deck because he's Legendary but he so rarely does anything of use.

Is there consensus on the best Hero for Arena?

zoukka

Yeah, Illidan is like my only Legendary right now and he's so wack. I'm always compelled to put him in a deck because he's Legendary but he so rarely does anything of use.

Is there consensus on the best Hero for Arena?

Mage followed by Paladin and Shaman. Basically all controllish value cards work amazingly in arena.

Kosma

Banned
3 packs, just one epic i had.

Still on 1 leg :(

Played a guy today who had rag, cairne and pyroblast.

Got him down to a few hp and killed rag and cairne but what could I do.

Feels like i cant compete at all with my cards.

ShinNL

3 packs, just one epic i had.

Still on 1 leg :(

Played a guy today who had rag, cairne and pyroblast.

Got him down to a few hp and killed rag and cairne but what could I do.

Feels like i cant compete at all with my cards.
What's your top 3 favorite classes? I'll make you some cheap decks.

ShinNL

Its ok :) i like to make my own, think they are decent just missing so many cards id put in.
Just hang in there. I know that feeling, I've been playing for a loooong time without any decent Legendaries. Once you have them (or more like, you draw so many bad duplicates that you can craft a few essential ones with dust), you'll only end up being a better player since you learn to deal with Legendaries, while those who get it early in their cycle have no clue how to play without them (a lot of netdeckers with no skill). And once you know how to play correctly AND then have your own Legendaries, you'll start steamrolling a lot of whom used to seem to be impossible to defeat.

I do recommend classes that have hard removal. Mage, Shaman, Rogue are all pretty good. Paladin and Druid is quite a pain to play with if you don't have a bunch of expensive good cards. Priest and Warrior are a lot better with some of the class specific rare and epic cards, but not unplayable without (though quite different). Warlock can be cheap, but will be monotonous to play. Hunters are stupid and ruin the game.

Illidan is great late-game, especially if you're a Warlock with all those 1-mana cards (and Sacrificial Pact if you're desperate for health).

You just need to make sure you're prepared.

Minsc

Gold Member
How much are we expecting Adventure Mode chunks to cost? $15ish?

What gaf is expecting:
$2-3 x 4 wings = $8-12 per adventure
300-400 gold x 4 wings = 1,200-1,600 gold per adventure

Slightly greedy (but what I'm expecting):
$5 x 4 wings = $20 per adventure
750 gold x 4 wings = 3,000 gold per adventure

Extreme (what some people on blizzard's forums say they'd pay begrudgingly):
$10+ x 4 wings = $40+ per adventure
1,500+ gold x 4 wings = 6,000+ gold per adventure

The other thing to remember I guess is each wing gives you a legendary, which when you convert dust to dollars, comes out somewhere around $30 iirc. So I'm pretty curious to see when Blizzard finally announces the pricing what it will be.

Strider

What gaf is expecting:Slightly greedy (but what I'm expecting):

This is the price I'm expecting. I'm already saving up my gold... No arena for me until they officially announce the price and I know I have the amount needed.

I'd say the week between wings is almost certainly very intentional... They are probably aiming at people to be able to save up (most if not all) of the gold needed to do a wing each week.

If we assume 50g per day with just doing quests, that puts it at 350g. I could see them going the slightly greedy route of 500g per wing, but I doubt they'll go higher than that.

They don't want to wall off this content too high. They know there are a lot of people who are bored of the current modes, pricing them completely out of reach wouldn't benefit them any and would likely contribute to a bleed on customers.

(edit) that said, I'm not willing to bet the farm on it. I'm already saving gold to give myself a birthday present of a ton of packs opened at once (already at 700 gold with today's 11 win arena run) so after that I'll save just for adventures. Not that I wouldn't likely buy a wing just because.

StMeph

What gaf is expecting:

The other thing to remember I guess is each wing gives you a legendary, which when you convert dust to dollars, comes out somewhere around $30 iirc. So I'm pretty curious to see when Blizzard finally announces the pricing what it will be.

I think the opportunity exists to disentangle gold:cash equivalence as from pack (100g:$1.50) or Arena (150g:$2.00) prices.

It would remove gold from the system for people who have been playing for a long time, especially since no major card expansions are looming, and maybe push newer/worse players who don't want to wait to amass gold to pay for the add-ons in cash. And for those that have all the time in the world, they can still grind up the higher gold sum.

$5 per wing, $20 total
1000g per wing, 4000g total

Acidote

What gaf is expecting:

You also have to consider that basic and reward cards are not disenchantable.

The cost of each wing of the PVE adventure mode is one thing, but what I'm wondering is:

Once you pay to play, is it unlocked and playable repeatedly for free at that point...OR...will it be like arena, you pay to unlock it, play it, but then to play it again it cost more money/gold?????

I mean, if you unlocked it by buying it, and could play it over and over for no more additional fee of any kind, then you could just farm legendary cards and dust them for nothing, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom