• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, does the $20 tier add significant deck variety to the game or is it only the $50 tier?

I feel relatively effective with basic decks, but I would prefer being able to not have 60-70% duplicates in every deck I use regardless of class in constructed.

However, I don't think I'm quite sold on wanting to spend $50 on the game yet.

I don't think it works like you think it will. Technically you could buy five packs, get a lot of interesting cards by chance, then buy 50, and get all duplicates, but it's highly unlikely of course. Other than upping your chances are good cards, more packs just allow more dust to craft other cards you want.

I might of misunderstood what you mean by tiers, but all card packs are the same, five random cards. Paying more only gives you more cards, which in turn is more chances at some good / interesting. I would say if you don't want to spend real money, just save for arena and play with expert cards there. You'll get to see how they work and you get a pack anyway.

Edit: jstevenson has a simpler explanation on the bottom of the previous page.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
figure 75 expert cards will add some variety, but 200 adds a lot.

slippery slope though!

you can go through quite a lot of packs before you have all the rares / commons... only when you are starting to just have epics/legendaries left do packs more turn into slim chances to get what you need + guaranteed dust
Yeah, I think I've ended up with about 10 or so packs so far from arena, but usually when I look at deck lists I end up seeing I only have one copy or none, even of pretty basic cards.

I think I will try assessing what I've unlocked so far and make an estimate of whether it's likely to even bring me close to meeting some lists (sans legendaries and rares).

I don't think it works like you think it will. Technically you could buy five packs, get a lot of interesting cards by chance, then buy 50, and get all duplicates, but it's highly unlikely of course. Other than upping your chances are good cards, more packs just allow more dust to craft other cards you want.

I might of misunderstood what you mean by tiers, but all card packs are the same, five random cards. Paying more only gives you more cards, which in turn is more chances at some good / interesting. I would say if you don't want to spend real money, just save for arena and play with expert cards there. You'll get to see how they work and you get a pack anyway.

Edit: jstevenson has a simpler explanation on the bottom of the previous page.
Oh sorry, I think my phrasing might have thrown you off.

I've played a lot of CCGs over the years, but was basically wondering if people who didn't have a lot of packs yet and bought a $20 set generally felt they got a notable boost in the variety of viable decks they could build, or if it felt negligibly different from just going free.

Or, in other words, if the luck people often had with 75 cards erred on the side of "not enough" or "enough to help build variation", since when googling most people seemed very happy with the results of a $50 set yet very few spoke of $20 purchase satisfaction in either direction.

I realize I in theory could get 75 copies of the same card, but I'm wondering more so in general.

Minsc

Gold Member
I've played a lot of CCGs over the years, but was basically wondering if people who didn't have a lot of packs yet and bought a $20 set generally felt they got a notable boost in the variety of viable decks they could build, or if it felt negligibly different from just going free.

Or, in other words, if the luck people often had with 75 cards erred on the side of "not enough" or "enough to help build variation", since when googling most people seemed very happy with the results of a $50 set yet very few spoke of $20 purchase satisfaction in either direction.

I realize I in theory could get 75 copies of the same card, but I'm wondering more so in general.

I think the saturation point is probably around 100-150 packs, before you start feeling opening packs is just another way to acquire 40 dust to craft some legendary card.

I think if you're looking for more variety, you'd be better served with 40 packs to jump start, but if you get a lucky draw from 15 and hit 2 or 3 legendaries, you may be just as well off.

It's just if you go 40 packs and have awful luck and get no legendaries or great epic cards... well at least you're still early on so much of what you open will still be new.

johnsmith

remember me
Double molten giants in an arena game where I was winning, dropped on the same turn because he was so far down. WTF. It seems like any time I draft a good deck that wins the first 3 or 4 games with no trouble the game decides to throw these bullshit decks against me.

FStop7

Banned
I'm really not getting the appeal of Arena.

What is fun about paying $2 to be at the mercy of the RNG? I get a bunch of meh cards and end up matched up with people who have epics and legendaries.

am i crazy that i enjoy a more aggro warrior than i assume the more traditional control one?

Really curious where this game goes in a few years. They seem like they purposely want to keep the elements simple, but what can they do in terms of keeping interest without going into crazy systems involving bringing back destroyed cards (wait is there even a 'graveyard'?) and other deck manipulation stuff.

scy

What is fun about paying $2 to be at the mercy of the RNG? I get a bunch of meh cards and end up matched up with people who have epics and legendaries.

Because those "meh" cards are usually the backbone of the deck. I think people underestimate how much those cards actually do.

am i crazy that i enjoy a more aggro warrior than i assume the more traditional control one?

Without all the cards, Control Warrior is a pretty miserable experience. Besides that, it's a rather passive deck usually so it's not all that much fun in the early turns and ends up being "I play big dudes now" come mid-to-late.

Really curious where this game goes in a few years. They seem like they purposely want to keep the elements simple, but what can they do in terms of keeping interest without going into crazy systems involving bringing back destroyed cards (wait is there even a 'graveyard'?) and other deck manipulation stuff.

There's sort of a graveyard when it comes to things like multiple Deathrattle order and things like Redemption. I think there's room for a lot of smaller complex systems that take advantage of the attacker advantaged nature of Hearthstone.

Strider

Well I dont pay $2 I use the gold but as a new player it's really appealing to use cards I dont have access too yet in my own collection.

FStop7

Banned
Because those "meh" cards are usually the backbone of the deck. I think people underestimate how much those cards actually do.

I'm talking about getting a bunch of junk like Wisps and Goldshire Footmen while I end up against people who are getting some of the best cards for their classes.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm surprised i'm rank 15 with casual play with afew games every 3 days. If it wasn't savoring my quests i think i could go higher possibly up to 13-12.

dorkimoe

Grats! Keep playing and get to Rank 20; you'll get the special card back at the end of the month if you do. You won't lose progress to the next rank when you lose; that only happens once you hit 19.

ah i was wondering about that, i made it to 24, and was too scared to keep playing

rank 20, ill try for that. thanks!!

hmmm im feeling secrets will be bigger play in the future. currently they just feel more like an annoyance than any kind of game changer use.... well ive not encountered many yet.

johnsmith

remember me
Ragnaros in the arena feels like cheating, guys.

Got my first 12 arena wins, but I don't feel proud of it since I did it with Ragnaros.
YVUhBPR.jpg

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Ragnaros in the arena feels like cheating, guys.

Got my first 12 arena wins, but I don't feel proud of it since I did it with Ragnaros.

Nice. Last legendary I got in arena was Nat Pagle. Never got a single card from him over the 8 or so total turns he was out. Had a priest use cabal shadow priest on him. He got one card out of him. No more over 3 or 4 turns. 50% draw my ass. What a piece of junk.

dorkimoe

so i just started ranked with my level like 8 rogue, im on a 6 game win streak i think? maybe 5. but either way wow cant believe it. Mind you..1 of the games someone quit before playing a card, still 5 games in a row is huge for me..

so i just started ranked with my level like 8 rogue, im on a 6 game win streak i think? maybe 5. but either way wow cant believe it. Mind you..1 of the games someone quit before playing a card, still 5 games in a row is huge for me..

Good to hear! I've had people concede to me pretty early as well, some AFK'd so I got free wins. They were probably watching TV while playing I guess.

Got my best single pack of cards yet...rarity wise that is.

Got TinkMaster...loll...I have no idea if he's even playable still..Doesn't seem like..Very situational at this point.

Got one epic, something for a hunter..

And a blue...which I already had...

Permanently A

Got my best single pack of cards yet...rarity wise that is.

Got TinkMaster...loll...I have no idea if he's even playable still..Doesn't seem like..Very situational at this point.

Got one epic, something for a hunter..

And a blue...which I already had...

Tink got nerfed hard but he is playable in Zoo. If the enemy board is clear you can gamble on Tink's effect. Sometimes he'll turn your 3/2 into a 1/1, but if you get the 5/5 you basically win.

With faceless, whatever you copy, do you get to use it that turn, or does it have to wait a turn?

Faceless itself has summoning sickness and has to wait a turn to attack, but if you copy something with Charge like Leeroy you can attack right away.

I decided to join the combo wombo bandwagon while its OP.

leeroy, coldblood, faceless = 20 damage, 10 mana

I prefer the Leeroy > ShadowStep > Leeroy > ShadowStep > Leeroy + Cold Bloodx2 for 26 damage, but yours sounds more efficient only being three cards instead of seven but I always enjoy a spectacle.

With faceless, whatever you copy, do you get to use it that turn, or does it have to wait a turn?
If you copy something with charge, your faceless gets charge.

One OTK with a warrior that was really poplar was dropping a Raging Worgen, enraging it and giving it charge, the copying it for something around 50 damage.

thx for the faceless info..!!!

Seems like Tink might be useful early game, clear board for a Pally with only a reinforcement minion out...But still, that's really situational..

Just bullied a priest in 6 turn with a dashing rogue deck...usually have to wait for leeroy and shadowsteps...not this time..everything just fell right for me..lol

FStop7

Banned
Wow, I just cheesed out a win so badly.

Playing Warlock vs. Warrior. Messing with a new custom deck. The guy had me on the ropes, I was down to 2 health. He was at 17 and had a bunch of 3 to 5 health/damage minions on the board including a couple of taunts. All I had was a harvest golem and something else like an abusive sergeant. In my hand I had Shadowflame. I top decked Leeroy on turn 8 and used Shadowflame on him. Cleared the entire board. Put up a defender of Argus. Then put down Rag (which was already in my hand) and the Warrior had nothing in his hand to stop me. I felt pretty bad about that.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I prefer the Leeroy > ShadowStep > Leeroy > ShadowStep > Leeroy + Cold Bloodx2 for 26 damage, but yours sounds more efficient only being three cards instead of seven but I always enjoy a spectacle.

If you copy something with charge, your faceless gets charge.

One OTK with a warrior that was really poplar was dropping a Raging Worgen, enraging it and giving it charge, the copying it for something around 50 damage.

I like the mana cost situation better with Shadowstep.

With Faceless it's 9 mana for 12, or 10 mana for 20 with cold blood.

Shadowstep let's you hit 12 at 6, 16 at 7, 18/20 at 8, 22 at 9 and 26 at 10

And since Miracle Rogue is drawing up the deck anyway...

That said, Leeroy / Faceless / Cold blood could be a good way to do it in a non miracle style deck. You could even use Arcane to give yourself a second Leeroy type (albeit at 16 burst instead of 20)

That said, Leeroy / Faceless / Cold blood could be a good way to do it in a non miracle style deck. You could even use Arcane to give yourself a second Leeroy type (albeit at 16 burst instead of 20)

Yep, I am running much more of a midrange/tempo deck. My other bomb is ragnaros. But vs warrior, and I feel like handlock to some extent as well, I need a bigger win condition than just leeroy+eviscerates.

Every single deck seems to be running the combos, it almost seems necessary. It is pretty crazy the amount of damage a late game deck can put out, and most people on the forums are still complaining about things like UTH =/

zoukka

Once my Gelbin made some kind of pump minion than pumped my opponents minions :/ I don't think I've seen all the inventions and I don't think I've ever gained anything from them :D

bjaelke

I have him in one of my priest decks. If I don't like the token* I usually play a crazed alchemist on it.

*It depends on who has board control.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Tried playing with a lock today, but just couldn't get into a groove with him, so I went back to my hunter. Back on a tear, kind of funny since my main toon when I played WoW back in the day was a hunter :lol

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
At the start of this year it used to cost 4 mana, then they buffed it to 2.
Oh really? That makes more sense, 2 is way too cheap. I say this as someone who mostly plays Hunter, Hounds + Buzzard is just too ridiculous.

Edit: Using Hounds + Buzzard just saved my ass in my last 2 games actually :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom