• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidance

I'm having no performance issues on my iPad Air, and the time to game is quite short. As this is my first Hearthstone experience (but not CCG game), it has been a pleasant surprise. I am actually considering spending the $50 to build a card pool, but I am still getting the concept of building a good deck. It took 3 years of playing Magic weekly for me to get in the groove of deckbuilding.

I kinda wish there were Instants, like in Magic, but the gameplay made less stressful because of their omission. I don't have to play in fear of a Force of Will, etc.

Panthers

Played Arena as a mage and got matched up against 3 other mages, all with sheep cards and pyroblast, while I didn't get either =/

At least you have seen the mage. I have done over 10 arenas and never once been able to choose mage. Ive also never won more than 3 games in Arena. Its pretty infuriating.

de1irium

Any one else played some one that takes all the time every time? It got annoying just sitting there waiting for he/she to make a move just before the timer burnt out over and over again.

You should be thinking of your next turn, the turn after, plus any contingency plays. You might want to drop a Yeti + Mark of the Wild for your turn 6, but maybe he plays something you wind up needing to Swipe. Or you might your Violet and want to play that instead ... so what do you do for turn 7 then? etc, etc....

Or if you're just topdecking then you can alt-tab. I play in windowed for that very reason.

Jharp

How's everyone's performance on iPad? I'm getting pretty sluggish, sometimes choppy performance at seemingly random intervals, but I'm also playing on an iPad 2, so I figured that's the problem.

It plays completely fine, and it's nice to be able to do so on a tablet, I was just curious.

EDIT: Just noticed other people are having similar issues, and on iPad 3's to boot. So it's not a hardware issue, just an optimization one? Should get ironed out pretty quick then, right?

Minsc

Gold Member
How's everyone's performance on iPad? I'm getting pretty sluggish, sometimes choppy performance at seemingly random intervals, but I'm also playing on an iPad 2, so I figured that's the problem.

It plays completely fine, and it's nice to be able to do so on a tablet, I was just curious.

EDIT: Just noticed other people are having similar issues, and on iPad 3's to boot. So it's not a hardware issue, just an optimization one? Should get ironed out pretty quick then, right?

Needs an iPad (4th generation) or newer to run flawlessly, anything earlier has slowdowns.

I don't think it's an optimization issue, though they perhaps can optimize it further... iPad 3 is having issues because it is running 4x the pixels as the iPad 2, and some of the more heavy transparency / effects are very demanding at that resolution probably. If the iPad 3 could run it at the iPad 2's resolution, there'd probably be no slowdown, but everyone would hate it because it would look so blurry/pixelated.

It's unacceptable at loading and searching for a game.

Gameplay is pretty perfect so that's fine.

Then after the game finishes it stutters and chokes to an unacceptable level.

I mean I got 12-1 on a Rogue yesterday (My first 12 in a long time) and it took what felt like a minute or more until it loaded the prize boxes, was really disappointing.

[iPad 2 as well]

Brakara

It's unacceptable at loading and searching for a game.

Then after the game finishes it stutters and chokes to an unacceptable level.

Just wanted to let folks know there's absolutely no such problems when running on an iPad Air. In fact it runs more smoothly than I honestly expected.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

ipad 2 is old. ipad 3 is actually worse than ipad 2 because of retina. might be improved a little but I would expect a ton. but at least you get to play it!!!!!!

I am on ipad Air and basically it's flawless. Pretty much all stuttering comes down to network connectivity (especially playing at work tethered over my iphone). On wifi at home it's nearly identical to my PC.

neoemonk

Came in to find out how it runs on the iPad 2. I'm a little disappointed I suppose although not surprised.

On a side note, I guess I'd like to upgrade my iPad at some point but the things are so expensive I can't seem to justify it. So I guess I'm stuck with crappy performance on the iPad 2.

Zakalwe

Banned
Needs an iPad (4th generation) or newer to run flawlessly, anything earlier has slowdowns.

I don't think it's an optimization issue, though they perhaps can optimize it further... iPad 3 is having issues because it is running 4x the pixels as the iPad 2, and some of the more heavy transparency / effects are very demanding at that resolution probably. If the iPad 3 could run it at the iPad 2's resolution, there'd probably be no slowdown, but everyone would hate it because it would look so blurry/pixelated.

I have a 4th gen.

Choppy/low frame rates, stutters and freezes.

It's playable for sure, but a little disappointing.

Phreaker

It's amazing on my iPad Air. I like the interface better than playing it on my PC and it looks higher res to me, but probably because the screen is so much smaller. Well done Blizzard for your first iPad game!

Minsc

Gold Member
I have a 4th gen.

Choppy/low frame rates, stutters and freezes.

It's playable for sure, but a little disappointing.

Thanks, wow... I'd say there's no hope for the iPad 2 or 3 then. I haven't seen anyone other than those with 2s and 3s complain... so now I know 4th gen is also on the list of slowdown ones.

I guess only the newest models, the Mini Retina and iPad Air are recommended for the game then.

Edit: Though now I'm not convinced 100% on the 4th gen model, seeing the post below, and having read earlier that the game runs smoothly on a plain iPhone 5 (which I thought maybe was similar to the 4th gen iPad, I'm not sure).

Pacman2k

Hm, I've been playing on a 4th gen and have had zero problems. Little stutters here and there, but those same ones occur even when I am playing on PC (like when matchmaking is is finishing.)

I'm on iOS 6 though.

Jharp

Playing a bit more in iPad and the performance isn't great, sure, but it's certainly playable. I would hardly call it "unacceptable."

I just beat my first random human opponent (in casual) with my first custom deck. Up until now I've mostly just played AI using basic decks, and against my friends, also using basic decks. The few human opponents I went up against wiped the floor with me, but I decided to take my new custom Hunter deck for a spin and won my first game, although it was really close and he had me on lock during the early game.

This game really needs a local mode. I want to be able to pass the ipad (or laptop) when hanging out with friends. I understand there's issues with battle.net logins on one device, but why not just limit it to one account and the cards that that account has available? My friends could make their own custom decks using my cards and we could play each other locally. Basically the same as challenge mode with friends, but on one account/device.

I've had a ton of fun hanging out with friends outside with beers on a warm summer night, just passing the iPad, playing game after game of Ascension. I want to do that with Hearthstone.

kaskade

I had a weird sort of lock up. I swiped my minion to attack another minion and it pretty much just froze. But I could tap stuff and hear the noises. This was only in practice mode though. I think I'm going to try and sell my iPad 3 and get a retina Mini.

got the email about the ipad version last night, runs really smooth on the ipad mini with retina

they have ruined my productivity

What does topdecking mean?

depends on the context

if you're hand is currently 0, and you're playing whatever comes out, you're top decking

if you draw the exact card you need, you just topdeck'd it

Rockyrock

Yea, It was stuttering quite a bit on my iPad 2 last night. Searching for a match, using a battlecry, winning a match, dusting cards, was pretty rough.

It's playable but I thought it would be a little more smooth.

Wunder

I was under the impression it was when you were out of (or low on) cards in your hand and only playing whatever you just drew. Can see how it's applicable in both situations though.

That's actually what it means, when two players are in a 'top deck' situation it means they've both exhausted their hand and are pretty much playing on whatever they draw. It's meaning has changed over time because streamers and players are 'relying on the top deck', and that has sort of evolved to just 'hoping for the top deck' when in reality you are hoping for the card you want when you top deck. Kind of means the same thing in most situations anyway, though.

borghe

Nerf earth elemental, holy shit. I hate shaman.

they've already said (thank fucking god) that card changes at this point would be almost non-existent. Unless something is truly broken, their desire is to introduce more answers to tough cards/combos, not nerf them.

tuning shit after release in a CCG is just bullshit, and "full priced refund" doesn't make it any better. if something is absolutely broken, that's one thing. But I can't see a case to be made for ANY current card/combo that shows that it's/they're broken.

as for earth elemental, it's the same cost (including 3 deferred mana) as ironbark protector at worse attack. if they actually play it in turns 5-7, it leaves them with 3-5 mana next turn respectively. it just means if they play it early you might have to burn a removal on it instead of maybe trading like you would with an IBP in turns 8+.

yes please nerf earth elemental by lowering its attack to 6 ;)

bwahahaha... evil man.. just evil.

Raxus

It is rather 'weak' and most shamans stopped running him since he is punished so easily.

You have to consider him as an 8 mana minion due to overcharge and it really puts him in perspective.

The only shaman card I have a problem with at this point is Hex which is too cheap IMO.

But as borghe stated the game is at a state where it is stable more or less. We just need more cards and something to slow down warlocks and hunters.

Minsc

Gold Member

Nerf it yourself, just start playing with Big Game Hunter or Black Knight.

Any Shaman who plays a Earth Elemental to have Black Knight kill it the next turn, is going to seriously think about removing it from their deck.

borghe

IYou have to consider him as an 8 mana minion due to overcharge and it really puts him in perspective.

that's what I was saying.. he's an 8 cost minion with taunt. it puts him at IBP status, where they trade 1 attack for the fact that he can be played up to 3 turns earlier. so you either deal with him like you deal with IBP, OR you burn a hard removal early if he's played too early for you to handle (especially maybe turn 4 or 5)

Zakalwe

Banned
Hm, I've been playing on a 4th gen and have had zero problems. Little stutters here and there, but those same ones occur even when I am playing on PC (like when matchmaking is is finishing.)

I'm on iOS 6 though.

Edit: Though now I'm not convinced 100% on the 4th gen model, seeing the post below, and having read earlier that the game runs smoothly on a plain iPhone 5 (which I thought maybe was similar to the 4th gen iPad, I'm not sure).

My 4th gen is running iOS 7.

My PC runs the game perfectly, no issues. If my PC looks like 60fps, my ipad looks like 30. It's choppy, and sometimes hangs when I move a card into play and try to target a battle cry, or when I press end turn, or sometimes just locks up for no reason for a second or two.

Pacman, how sensitive to fps are you? Perhaps this is similar to the 60fps vs 30fps debate, some people say they see no difference at all.

All I know is I'm incredibly disappointed with how it runs, considering selling and upgrading to an Air if the performance increase is worth it.

Raxus

Speaking of Black Knight. He is actually really great in the current meta. I am going to get him with my next dust purchase.

I think the only legendary I want now is Thalnos.

borghe

heh, yeah. meta was rush. so to counter that next meta is taunts up the ass. so now the new meta starting to show up are like anti-taunt decks.

I've been with CCGs since Magic beta, and this is the first time I've been in one wide enough to actually witness meta. it is both clever and annoying at the same time.... :\

inky

I want Thalnos for my spell druid too T.T

I'm at like 700 dust and still have Milhouse to DE (I never use him and every deck but Zoo is so spell heavy currently), but I'm missing so many useful cards like Faceless, Watchers or BGH that outright crafting Thalnos feels wrong. Cairne or BK are top priority too.

Ellite25

Third gen iPad here, runs somewhat stuttery. I turn the iPad on and off and if seemed to run slightly better but maybe that's it my head. Either way, still playable and a lot of fun even though I'm god awful. I win about maybe 1 in 8 matches. Any quick tips?

johnsmith

remember me
Yeah, sorry. It wrecks me in arena. I've never seen it in ranked. On turn 5 it just stops your entire momentum if you're ahead. And if you're behind, you are completely screwed.

Pacman2k

Pacman, how sensitive to fps are you? Perhaps this is similar to the 60fps vs 30fps debate, some people say they see no difference at all.

I'm sensitive to frame rate issues and aware of them when I see them.

That said, I'm glossing over some fps drops that I would say are inconsequential. I see the usual stutters during the loading bar, definitely during matchmaking, opening packs is pretty jumpy usually, but during actual play the only drops I see are during effects and it's very quick to recover.

I see no issues during general play, moving cards around, casting minions, targeting, everything is smooth where it needs to be.

For me at least.

My iPad is jailbroken as well, but I'm not sure that matters. I'm not one of those people who spends hours with jailbroken performance tweaks.

borghe

Yeah, sorry. It wrecks me in arena. I've never seen it in ranked. On turn 5 it just stops your entire momentum if you're ahead. And if you're behind, you are completely screwed.

you can't really tune cards for draft play though. I mean even when shit is seemingly broken. it's kind of the point of draft. some days you draft david, and some days you draft goliath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom