• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorkimoe

That fucking fireball card for the Mage. Needs to be removed. Seriously. 4 mana for instant 6 damage...I was playing a guy who just drew 3 in a row. Fucking stupid. Seriously

Mookow

That fucking fireball card for the Mage. Needs to be removed. Seriously. 4 mana for instant 6 damage...I was playing a guy who just drew 3 in a row. Fucking stupid. Seriously

Can only happen in arena, but it sucks. Constructed if you want it a bit more predictable.

NBtoaster

Spells often 2-1 with no direct counter.

I'm actually okay with cards that counter weapons, just ooze is too strong for its text/stats and impacts the game too much.

I'm certainly not saying nothing should affect weapons, as there is still bloodsail corsair and harrison jones out there as well as ooze.

Spells that tend to 2-1 tend to have big costs and can't hit face. And spells that can hit face give less value. A fireball is 4 mana for 6 damage while a arcanite reaper is 5 mana for 2x5 damage. A fiery war axe is 2 for 3x2 damage while frostbolt is 2 for 3 damage+freeze (of course there is the health cost but a lot of the time that can be ignored/healed). And spells that buff minions are countered by silence.

Spells that tend to 2-1 tend to have big costs and can't hit face. And spells that can hit face give less value. A fireball is 4 mana for 6 damage while a arcanite reaper is 5 mana for 2x5 damage. A fiery war axe is 2 for 3x2 damage while frostbolt is 2 for 3 damage+freeze (of course there is the health cost but a lot of the time that can be ignored/healed). And spells that buff minions are countered by silence.

The health cost is not as negligible as you suggest. You can easily lose due to using your weapon as removal instead of minions.

I am not saying weapons shouldn't have a counter. I am saying that ooze is just too good of a counter as it is. And there are 2 other cards that damage/destroy weapons, as well as taunts blocking face.

Even if ooze only reduced durability by 1, it would still be a very strong counter vs weapons. It is like black knight except instead of killing a taunt, you kill a weapon and pay much less than black knight.

Spells often 2-1 with no direct counter.

I'm actually okay with cards that counter weapons, just ooze is too strong for its text/stats and impacts the game too much.

I'm certainly not saying nothing should affect weapons, as there is still bloodsail corsair and harrison jones out there as well as ooze.

Honestly, you seem to be on quite the crusade here. Ooze is perfectly fine. Like has been said, Ooze usually comes after a weapon has already killed something, so the weapon already got its value back.

Plus, it IS a big deal if you hold onto an Ooze. You say it's "a good tool," but it's also a gambit that could lose you vital early tempo and, as a result, the game.

Plus, Ooze is valuable against Warrior, Paladin and Rogue, but it's a generic 3/2 vs. Priest, Druid, Mage, Warlock , with Hunter and Shaman being a toss-up. In 4-6 cases, almost any other 2CC minion is better. For instance, a Knife Juggler and Sunfury Protector will almost always have value against any class. So in order to make Ooze a viable pick, it has to be very strong in certain situations to make it viable against said KJ and SP.

Just my 2c.

Even if ooze only reduced durability by 1, it would still be a very strong counter vs weapons. It is like black knight except instead of killing a taunt, you kill a weapon and pay much less than black knight.

Yes, but a weapon will likely already have gotten some value by the time an Ooze hits. A taunt very likely won't have. Plus, a 4/5 body is way more useful than a 3/2. A Yeti alongside destroying a taunt that most likely won't have done anything yet is WAY stronger than destroying a weapon that already got value. Hence the extra CC.

Honestly, you seem to be on quite the crusade here. Ooze is perfectly fine. Like has been said, Ooze usually comes after a weapon has already killed something, so the weapon already got its value back.

Plus, it IS a big deal if you hold onto an Ooze. You say it's "a good tool," but it's also a gambit that could lose you vital early tempo and, as a result, the game.

Plus, Ooze is valuable against Warrior, Paladin and Rogue, but it's a generic 3/2 vs. Priest, Druid, Mage, Warlock , with Hunter and Shaman being a toss-up. In 4-6 cases, almost any other 2CC minion is better. For instance, a Knife Juggler and Sunfury Protector will almost always have value against any class. So in order to make Ooze a viable pick, it has to be very strong in certain situations to make it viable against said KJ and SP.

Just my 2c.

Yes, but a weapon will likely already have gotten some value by the time an Ooze hits. A taunt very likely won't have. Plus, a 4/5 body is way more useful than a 3/2. A Yeti alongside destroying a taunt that most likely won't have done anyway is WAY stronger than destroying a weapon that already got value. Hence the extra CC.

I think the card is over budget. I don't see why that makes me on a crusade. It is an opinion I've had and never lost after playing the game for 6+ months. I brought it up here and a few people responded and I responded to them. I don't see how that makes me on a crusade to respond to people's own opinion on the subject.

You're saying nothing that dissuades my opinion nor nothing new that I haven't either thought of myself and/or heard from other people. I am suggesting that its text be reduced to reducing durability by 1. That only makes the card slightly weaker, but still very strong, in situations versus certain weapons and weapon strategies.

scy

I'd like to reiterate that if you make it -1 Durability, what do you do with Bloodsail Corsair? The card that already does this and is basically unplayable?

I think the card is over budget. I don't see why that makes me on a crusade. It is an opinion I've had and never lost after playing the game for 6+ months. I brought it up here and a few people responded and I responded to them. I don't see how that makes me on a crusade to respond to people's own opinion on the subject.

You're saying nothing that dissuades my opinion nor nothing new that I haven't either thought of myself and/or heard from other people. I am suggesting that its text be reduced to reducing durability by 1. That only makes the card slightly weaker, but still very strong, in situations versus certain weapons and weapon strategies.

No, it doesn't make it "slightly weaker." It cripples it. It makes it near-useless vs Assassin's Blade, Doomhammer, Stormforged Axe, Light's Justice, Sword of Justice, Ashbringer, and Blood Fury. It would also mean that essentially every weapon in the game would be nearly guaranteed to get value, and would also mean that people would fearlessly play a weapon onto to empty board. It would greatly diminish its value and would be a MASSIVE swing in the meta.

Also, please respond to points next time instead of going, "Eh, I'm not convinced" and going on a tangent about one word in the multi-paragraph argument. Anyone can do that, and it's kind of annoying to write an argument out and have it waved away because, "meh."

If you've responded to exactly what I've said before, then at least quote it or something,

I'd like to reiterate that if you make it -1 Durability, what do you do with Bloodsail Corsair? The card that already does this and is basically unplayable?

I personally don't think that is an issue nor does it justify having ooze destroy a weapon completely. And I can't say with certainty what ooze should do, I just believe destroying the entire weapon to be a problem.

Also, please respond to points next time instead of going, "Eh, I'm not convinced" and going on a tangent about one word in the multi-paragraph argument. Anyone can do that, and it's kind of annoying to write an argument out and have it waved away because, "meh."

You claimed I am on a crusade... I am not actually going to bother responding fully to that kind of antagonistic post.

scy

No, it doesn't make it "slightly weaker." It cripples it. It makes it near-useless vs Assassin's Blade, Doomhammer, Stormforged Axe, Light's Justice, Sword of Justice, Ashbringer, and Blood Fury. It would also mean that essentially every weapon in the game would be nearly guaranteed to get value, and would also mean that people would fearlessly play a weapon onto to empty board. It would greatly diminish its value and would be a MASSIVE swing in the meta.

Additionally, it would force Harrison Jones for an actual "Destroy Weapon" effect, effectively making it a Legendary only option. Which is just poor design.

I personally don't think that is an issue nor does it justify having ooze destroy a weapon completely. And I can't say with certainty what ooze should do, I just believe destroying the entire weapon to be a problem.

Then let's put it this way: -1 Durability is an unplayable effect because it doesn't do enough. Why gut a card because ... ? Ooze isn't gamebreaking in any real way short of maybe it shouldn't be a 3/2.

Edit: And, again, Ooze wasn't really relevant for a long period of time. It's risen in popularity (alongside Harrison) due to the rise of weapons as a critical part of deck strategies. And now those weapons are kind of rotating out. This is what powerful tech cards are supposed to do, really.

Additionally, it would force Harrison Jones for an actual "Destroy Weapon" effect, effectively making it a Legendary only option. Which is just poor design.

Then let's put it this way: -1 Durability is an unplayable effect because it doesn't do enough. Why gut a card because ... ? Ooze isn't gamebreaking in any real way short of maybe it shouldn't be a 3/2.

I actually think making the text change is a smaller nerf than reducing its stats, but I guess that is a point reasonable people can differ on.

You claimed I am on a crusade... I am not actually going to bother responding fully to that kind of antagonistic post.

"Honestly, you seem to be on quite the crusade here" is too antagonizing to respond to? Dude, you must be leading a pretty sheltered life on the interweb!

Seems to me like you just don't want to address my argument and are looking for an out. It's the "I'm offended, so your argument is invalid" card.

scy

I actually think making the text change is a smaller nerf than reducing its stats, but I guess that is a point reasonable people can differ on.

Well, of course it does. It removes any ability for the card to make reasonable tempo plays against non-weapon classes and pushes it into the niche of anti-weapon tech only. Which is just as big of a deal as removing the ability to destroy a weapon. That change would make double Deadly Assassin's Blade from Miracle Rogue basically guaranteed 21 Damage. Sure, -1 Durability isn't a big deal when you're facing Rogue weapons, Fiery War Axe, etc. X/2 weapons since it's functionally the same but now it makes all the mid-to-end game weaponry essentially uncounterable.

I just think that it's an unnecessary change to a card that is already rather niche and only currently finding a place.

"Honestly, you seem to be on quite the crusade here" is too antagonizing to respond to? Dude, you must be leading a pretty sheltered life on the interweb!

Seems to me like you just don't want to address my argument and are looking for an out. It's the "I'm offended, so your argument is invalid" card.

I did respond. I said your opinion didn't change my mind. I am willing to engage in conversation but if you're going to bring this attitude I am not willing to bother.

I am very well acquainted with flame bait and I am not going to respond to it.

Well, of course it does. It removes any ability for the card to make reasonable tempo plays against non-weapon classes and pushes it into the niche of anti-weapon tech only. Which is just as big of a deal as removing the ability to destroy a weapon. That change would make double Deadly Assassin's Blade from Miracle Rogue basically guaranteed 21 Damage. Sure, -1 Durability isn't a big deal when you're facing Rogue weapons, Fiery War Axe, etc. X/2 weapons since it's functionally the same but now it makes all the mid-to-end game weaponry essentially uncounterable.

I just think that it's an unnecessary change to a card that is already rather niche and only currently finding a place.

Well I don't know how they should change it. Perhaps it should reduce durability by 2 or reduce attack instead of durability? Not sure. They probably won't change it, but my opinion still will be that they should.

edit:
I am okay with a destroy weapon card, but 2 cc is too cheap for that text to be that strong I think.

I did respond. I said your opinion didn't change my mind. I am willing to engage in conversation but if you're going to bring this attitude I am not willing to bother.

I am very well acquainted with flame bait and I am not going to respond to it.

Flame bait? What? I wrote paragraphs of arguments after a one-off comment that I honestly didn't even think about. It more or less meant, "Hmm, he's talking about this a lot." It was not meant as a giant opening volley. I'm sorry you took it that way; that wasn't the intent.

But, again, saying "your opinion didn't change my mind" is... the least-convincing counter-argument you can give. Hell, it's not even a counter-argument -- it's the lack of one.

I'm aware that my arguments can be blunt; it's the way I debate. But I feel that if you go back, you will see that nothing is out-and-out insulting you in any fathomable way. I always attack the arguments, not the person. The only possible exception is the "crusade" comment which, as I have previously stated, wasn't really meant as an attack.

Well, looking over what you said a second time, my response doesn't really change. My position is that it is too strong as a 2cc. The text imo is too strong for a 2cc. On the other hand, it fits pretty well with harrison, him being a 5cc.

Why should ooze be such a huge tempo card as well as being a huge value card? My position is that it shouldn't be. I am not concrete on how the card should be dealt with, if it is to be dealt with.

If ooze was a 4cc like 4/4 or 4/3 with the same text it would be more balanced imo. Using a 2cc to negate a 5cc and get a minion... it is like the strength of a black knight but at 2cc.

Neki

Token druid is so damn good, 10-1 versus hunter, and I managed to go toe to toe with a zoo until we both only had 6 cards left. I managed to keep up with card draw even though he got amazing value with a two no discard soulfires and a no discard doomguard.

I also put a BGH into my token druid deck instead of a loot hoarder, and even though it's a dead card 90% of the time, me and this druid filled our boards and then he went face and played Deathwing, and then I just BGH'd it. Feels good!

zoukka

Well, looking over what you said a second time, my response doesn't really change. My position is that it is too strong as a 2cc. The text imo is too strong for a 2cc. On the other hand, it fits pretty well with harrison, him being a 5cc.

Why should ooze be such a huge tempo card as well as being a huge value card? My position is that it shouldn't be. I am not concrete on how the card should be dealt with, if it is to be dealt with.

If ooze was a 4cc like 4/4 or 4/3 with the same text it would be more balanced imo. Using a 2cc to negate a 5cc and get a minion... it is like the strength of a black knight but at 2cc.

Ooze is situational and a hard counter to cards that some heroes don't even have at all. It's not op or anything. And that said in HS, there are no hard counters to weapons since they can be used right away so you will always get some value out of them :)

bunbun777

You won't want to nerf oozes when they make a new card that steals your weapon. Personally I think the card is great the way it is.

Scratch

nice hearthstone wallpaper that came with us ipad release

17M5PU0.jpg

Dinskugga

Downloaded the iPad version woho!

then when i started the game on my iPad 2 my reactions was "noooo"

it not so smooth as i want it. Quite laggy in the menys. But better ingame.

I really hope Blizz polish the ipad versions.

soldat7

iPad version: It's a little annoying it have to hold your finger down on a card to see it. My hand blocks the view half the time. And good grief I'd pay some IAP to turn off the voices and the text bubbles in the game. Annoying stuff.

Neki

I need a deck to beat mid-range and control druids at higher ranks, that's all I'm seeing. I'm thinking either handlock or control warrior? Handlock gets shit on by hunters though, which is definately a problem, so maybe it's time to learn miracle rogue or control warrior, hm.

Scratch

I need a deck to beat mid-range and control druids at higher ranks, that's all I'm seeing. I'm thinking either handlock or control warrior? Handlock gets shit on by hunters though, which is definately a problem, so maybe it's time to learn miracle rogue or control warrior, hm.

could play zoo. it's a pretty decent match up against druids. or just go with handlock. handlock only really gets hard countered by the aggressive hunter decks. it can hold its own against the lifecoach/kolento version.

control warrior is pretty scarce between 5-1, but that's probably because of all the zoo.

I do very well against druids, of all sorts, with my midrange rogue deck. Against warrior though, much more difficult. It usually comes down to brawl, which sucks. I did change my deck a bit to compensate but I haven't been playing it.

Even my low curve BC rogue deck I built tonight is doing pretty well against druids. They don't seem to run starfall too much anymore.

Neki

could play zoo. it's a pretty decent match up against druids. or just go with handlock. handlock only really gets hard countered by the aggressive hunter decks. it can hold its own against the lifecoach/kolento version.

control warrior is pretty scarce between 5-1, but that's probably because of all the zoo.

All I've been running is either life coach hunter, druids or zoo. I feel like if they can get a good wrath + keeper of the grove when I play zoo I basically lose the game, it sucks. I'm trying life coach right now.

Scratch

All I've been running is either life coach hunter, druids or zoo. I feel like if they can get a good wrath + keeper of the grove when I play zoo I basically lose the game, it sucks. I'm trying life coach right now.

reynad's most recent variant is really good against druids. the only way they can really come back is with an innervate swipe. wrath and keeper is simply too slow to keep up

Injured blademaster and ancestral healing is a surprisingly potent combination, just got me to 11 wins in arena (the 2 fire elementals helped). Not as good as it is in a Priest deck but I could see it being useful in constructed.

Injured blademaster and ancestral healing is a surprisingly potent combination, just got me to 11 wins in arena (the 2 fire elementals helped). Not as good as it is in a Priest deck but I could see it being useful in constructed.

I'm a big big fan of Turn 1 Northshire Cleric, Turn 2 coin, Injured Blademaster and Circle of Healing. You have a 1/3 with a great ability, a 4/7 and an extra card on Turn 2. Heck, if your opponent played something one Turn 1 that your cleric and run into, you have TWO extra cards as well.

Edit: I see you referenced this already. Sorry, I'm tired XD.

Harrison has major card draw potential and a much bigger body, so it's not in the same league. And as has been said, if you nerf Ooze, it only makes Harrison more powerful and necessary. That's poor design.

It's not a big tempo card. It's meant to reverse the giant tempo swing a weapon can bring, ie: two minions for the price of one card. By itself, it doesn't give a lot.

It's only "good value" against certain enemies, and even then it has a secondary pre-requisite that they have a weapon in hand as well. When an ability needs that many planets to align, it should powerful to offset how situational it is.

And, again, most weapons will have already replaced themselves in value by the time an Ooze is used anyway. If they haven't been used, well, that's the empty-board weapon gambit.

If it was 4cc, it wouldn't counter the early weapons as well.

Plus, it's not countering a full 5cc card by the time it drops. 95% of the time, the weapon will have been used already, so its already got about half its value and one-for-oned. If anything, it's a 2CC countering maybe a 2.5cc etc.

Also, by the same token, a 3 mana Hex counters a 9 mana Malygos etc.. That's just the necessary nature of counter cards. If all counters were the same cost as what they're countering, then there'd be zero risk to playing the initial big cards -- because, at worst, they'd spend just as much to get rid of it as you did casting it, so there's no real risk involved.

And I've already argued (quite well, IMO :p) why it's not as valuable as a Black Knight: TBK is much stronger and tougher, plus it kills something that won't have already used up part of its value, like a weapon likely will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom