• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danneee

Anyone else having log in problems? I can't even reach eu.battle.net from my browser even though online web page status checkers is flagging it as up.

Terra

I just decided to tried this one out on my iPad 3. I am really skeptic to these type of games, and Blizzard in particular. But it does not seem too infested with microtransactions, or am I wrong?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I just decided to tried this one out on my iPad 3. I am really skeptic to these type of games, and Blizzard in particular. But it does not seem too infested with microtransactions, or am I wrong?

no. only micro-transactions are to reduce the (imho) not-superbad grind.that's it.the vast majority of top players are 100% free.

the only reason you would need to spend money is if you want to. I threw them 9.99 and picked up 7 packs a few hours after I first played it. I have paid that for some other board games on iOS and honestly Hearthstone deserves it.

other then that arena runs, quests and gold will get you by.

Terra

Yeah, this seems like a nice little game. I will give it a shot...even though I think it will end as always when it comes to me and IOS-gaming...

I just lose interest.

Yeah, this seems like a nice little game. I will give it a shot...even though I think it will end as always when it comes to me and IOS-gaming...

I just lose interest.

This is the sort of game that grows on you over time. I've played a lot of mobile games that are just terrible copies of a really boring long drawn out tedious formula. This is not like any of them. The game becomes increasingly better as you learn cards, decks, and learn to see the options you have each game.

Triz

you know what feelgood. When its warlock facing warlock and the opponent busts out Jaraxxus, then I one up him next turn with GOLDEN JARAXXUS.

So I feel like i have played this game enough to understand the mechanics of all the cards and characters...

I can't help but feel like the Priest is OP...

I have a druid build that I consider pretty solid and it can steam roll most heroes (some of course require a bit of luck) but for the life of me, I can't figure out the priest... I am always finding priests that start with Northshire Cleric followed by power word: Shield to give + 2, and then they follow that up with a 1 + 2 combo Divine spirit and Inner Fire (doubling there health to 10 and giving them attack of 10.. all by the 3rd mana)

And it never fucking fails... I ALWAYS seem to encounter a priest that has this. What are the best builds to contend against priests?

I am currently a 17 in ranked using my Druid and paladin decks.

I should add... even if i get lucky against the Priest and manage to maintain control of his minions, i always lose my big guns to his fucking Mind Control and some lesser minions to shadow madness... i almost want to concede immediately when i see priests..

scy

Priest is still one of the worst classes since most their stuff is gimmicky. They're good at attrition and anti-Control but their weak early game tends to lead to them losing before they get relevant board presence.

As far as Druid is concerned, you have Keeper of the Grove to shut-down their all-in buff strategy. If they do that and you silence it out, that's a like 3-for-1 in your favor. Mind Control is super late game and you can usually just position your board without needing a big drop since Priests tend to not have much in the early game.

Beyond all that, 4/X creatures just kind of ruin a Priest's day.

i must be consistnetly unlucky then because im always losing out to the priest in the early game.

i guess maybe i should refocus my druid to have early offense.

Minsc

Gold Member
Priest is still one of the worst classes since most their stuff is gimmicky. They're good at attrition and anti-Control but their weak early game tends to lead to them losing before they get relevant board presence.

As far as Druid is concerned, you have Keeper of the Grove to shut-down their all-in buff strategy. If they do that and you silence it out, that's a like 3-for-1 in your favor. Mind Control is super late game and you can usually just position your board without needing a big drop since Priests tend to not have much in the early game.

Beyond all that, 4/X creatures just kind of ruin a Priest's day.

I don't know, that 3/5 guy for 4 mana + the circle of healing, is an amazing board wipe. Best in the game, I think. You basically get a board clear, and a 3/1, almost lose to it every time because I never expect it. Had a 4/7 injured blade master with taunt out turn 2, mana tide totem turn 3, as shaman, thought I was set. And then that dumb combo got me on his turn 4, cleared my board.

4/7 w/ taunt turn 2 is a damned good start against priest, and he still was able to clear it no trouble on turn 4. Granted I ended up winning, but barely.

Uthred

Do people feel its worth dusting your rarely used cards to get "essential" legendarys like Leeroy etc. ?

(Also I wish people would stop with the shit tier "tactic" of letting their turns timer run out, ran into it a lot this evening)

Do people feel its worth dusting your rarely used cards to get "essential" legendarys like Leeroy etc. ?

(Also I wish people would stop with the shit tier "tactic" of letting their turns timer run out, ran into it a lot this evening)

Thats a tactic? I laugh when it happens because they lose time immediately each subsequent turn

scy

I don't know, that 3/5 guy for 4 mana + the circle of healing, is an amazing board wipe. Best in the game, I think. You basically get a board clear, and a 3/1, almost lose to it every time because I never expect it. Had a 4/7 injured blade master with taunt out turn 2, mana tide totem turn 3, as shaman, thought I was set. And then that dumb combo got me on his turn 4, cleared my board.

4/7 w/ taunt turn 2 is a damned good start against priest, and he still was able to clear it no trouble on turn 4. Granted I ended up winning, but barely.

Turn 4 isn't really early game and it's more of a comeback kind of play, not one that's establishing tempo that demands an answer. And it's a case of "have it or don't" when it comes to Auchenai + Circle. End of the day is that they don't have much in the way of real early game pressure besides Injured + Circle. They'll typically lose in a sheer tempo battle and tend to rely on eventually sticking a board that they can keep around with their Hero Power.

Put another way, view them doing that like you would a turn 4 UtH for 2. It's not a major value play when done that way and it's a vital piece of their board clear combo or card draw combo that's being used early.

de1irium

=(Also I wish people would stop with the shit tier "tactic" of letting their turns timer run out, ran into it a lot this evening)

Do people run into this a lot? It's happened to me maybe once, and only in the last couple turns of a match I was very obviously winning.

Kosma

Banned
Played this on an ipad air, holy shit at the detail on the cards.

Cant see shit on my pc but its gorgeous on the ipad

bunbun777

Got these on my Asian account, never had a pack with these many rares and epic or gold for that matter, all crap but the Puhpuhpuhpyroblast:

Py2NFDy.png

Uthred

IIRC if they actually hit the End Turn button just before it runs out on it's own, they aren't penalized as much/at all on their next turn.

Yep thats they way they do it, they wait until the rope is nearly gone then hit end turn so they have maximum time to waste every turn. I dont even really understand the reasoning behind it so maybe its just griefing. Ran into three players who did it this evening though and while I won all three matches it was super tedious.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
The ipad version gave me an expert pack for playing a game on the ipad, too bad it was full of jack shit.... its always full of jack shit.... :(

Palehorse

Haven't seen anyone mention iPad Mini 1st gen yet, it's definitely playable but there are stutters and it takes a bit to load the app and to return to the menu after a match ends. But in-game it's quite reasonable.

It's my new favourite way to play the game, sitting on the couch. Playing a match when one of the kids needs help? Bring the game with me.

Runs decently on the iPad mini retina. The only stutter I see is when the spinner for finding an opponent stops on "worthy opponent" or whatever. The spinner lags on my Macbook Air retina AND my Macbook Pro Retina too. Must be some fancy hi-def spinner =/

Panthers

One card that actually really hurt playing on the iPad is Nozdorrmu(sp). The 15 sec limit was actually a pain and almost cost me the game because it takes a little longer to make the correct movwments on the iPad

Minsc

Gold Member
Runs decently on the iPad mini retina. The only stutter I see is when the spinner for finding an opponent stops on "worthy opponent" or whatever. The spinner lags on my Macbook Air retina AND my Macbook Pro Retina too. Must be some fancy hi-def spinner =/

I think it's actually loading the 3D board at that point, which is why there is slowdown. Slows down on my high end desktop at that one point and nothing else too.

Sounds like you don't understand.

When I am destroying other heroes without issue, I would have to disagree... but whatever.

My point is that the Priest is the only character that I can't beat consistently. If I have a build that I can beat other characters no problem, but not the priest, THAT is OP to me. I shouldn't have to fix my deck so I can beat 1 hero with a stacked deck.

When I am destroying other heroes without issue, I would have to disagree... but whatever.

My point is that the Priest is the only character that I can't beat consistently. If I have a build that I can beat other characters no problem, but not the priest, THAT is OP to me. I shouldn't have to fix my deck so I can beat 1 hero with a stacked deck.

If you can beat 8 out of 9 classes consistently, it sounds like 1) the hero you are playing is the overpowered one, and 2) Priest is the rock to your scissors.

scy

If you can beat 8 out of 9 classes consistently, it sounds like 1) the hero you are playing is the overpowered one, and 2) Priest is the rock to your scissors.

Humorously enough, Druid probably has one of the better vs Priest match-ups last I remember. Maybe not Ramp Druid? Dunno, not familiar with how that one plays out.

By consistently i mean, I don't lose 95% of the time I face an opponent. I would say my Druid wins 70% of the time and my paladin about 50 - 60% of the time versus the other heroes. Perhaps when I said i steamroll opponents, that was a bit of an exaggeration. My main point is i can play these two classes, and feel like I can win at least 50% of the time against any opponent. That screams balance to me.

If I end up losing 3 matches in a row, i go back to the drawing board and rebuild my deck up and in my opinion, it is usually a balanced match, EXCEPT the priest.

So yeah, I would disagree with the Paladin and Druid's being OP.

Are people seriously whining about priests being OP? Is this closed beta again? Like if you were saying "I can't beat priests, what am I doing wrong?" I wouldn't react this way. Instead you're proclaiming it as fact that they're OP and you're sure that you're amazing and can defeat anything else.

Unreal.

http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/constructed-strategy/1835-hs-class-power-ranks-april-2014
http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/hearthstone/1748-hearthstats-march-stats

Edit: I was typing that while you were posting. Comment still stands. Your personal anecdotes are not indicative of actual class balance. You in fact do not understand the game properly or the current meta.

scy

By consistently i mean, I don't lose 95% of the time I face an opponent. I would say my Druid wins 70% of the time and my paladin about 50 - 60% of the time versus the other heroes. Perhaps when I said i steamroll opponents, that was a bit of an exaggeration. My main point is i can play these two classes, and feel like I can win at least 50% of the time against any opponent. That screams balance to me.

If I end up losing 3 matches in a row, i go back to the drawing board and rebuild my deck up and in my opinion, it is usually a balanced match, EXCEPT the priest.

So yeah, I would disagree with the Paladin and Druid's being OP.

This honestly just sounds like you're misplaying the match-up. You're slightly favored due to having a lot of good cards for most their drops (Wrath for Northshire, Keeper for those who do their buffing gimmick, and Druid of the Claw to get around Shadow Words). Your big worries are giving them too much value off Shadow Madness / Cabal Shadow Priest (e.g., a Harvest Golem being taken) or having a super late game deck where they'll probably just out fatty you (+ Mind Control). Thoughtsteal is relevant in this match-up as Druids have a lot of high value cards to take and is actually one of the more worrisome things here.

I mean, I get the angle somewhat. When starting out in the game, Priest is an annoying match-up since their games tend to drag out somewhat and they greatly improve random generic minions if they ever get the board late game. Plus, Mind Control is never fun to play against. On top of that, they're the class that teaches the value of importance of Silence and/or having something on-hand for all-in strategies like the Inner Fire combos. But, as far as high-end play is concerned, they're too inconsistent to rely on those gimmick combos and their playstyle relies a lot on outlasting their opponent and "eventually" gaining control of the game. Which other classes can just do better while also having a better early game.

Also, Druids are still one of the top of the pack for Constructed high-end play with Priest being around the bottom (if not the bottom).

inky

No one is whining. That guy is just measuring Priest's strength against his own deck(s?) at about mid-ranks, which is obviously the wrong way to go about it.

What is happening theee is that he found hard counters to his strategy that seem to work reasonably well against every other opponent. He just needs to climb some more to realize why the meta is obviously skewed towards the same half-dozen decks at the top ranks.

There are a few good (if gimmicky) Priest decks, but there is a reason they are considered hard mode at the top ranks.

Minsc

Gold Member
I can't imagine how this will work on iPhone. What about the board?

It's no different really than any other CCG already on the iPhone with 3 lanes (enemy row, your row, and 1/4 of card showing from you hand). I imagine it would work very similar. I mentioned using Disco Zoo's squares as an example of what to expect for the size of the boxes you'd need to aim for; seems very doable, even on a tiny iPhone sized phone, let alone some huge Android phone.

Minsc

Gold Member
any ETA for the android tablet version?

Sometime by the end of the year is all they're really committing to.

Expect the first adventure to be fully released and saturated in to the game before it hits Android I'd guess (which is due sometime in the summer).

Card Boy

Banned
Are there any decent card games on the iphone right now?

Join us here

My recommendations

Nightfall
mzl.axlpfoze.320x480-75.jpg

Foodfight

mzl.njkavmxz.320x480-75.jpg

Ascension

mzl.ttrbtjds.320x480-75.jpg

Neuroshima Hex

mzl.dsqibyfy.320x480-75.jpg

Assassins Creed: Recollection (Might be removed)

mzl.qyvhzfvj.320x480-75.jpg

Cabals (free)

mzl.kpzrhdka.320x480-75.jpg

Shadow Era (free and cross platform multiplayer)

mzl.mtlolohf.320x480-75.jpg

Kard Combat (Spectromancer clone and free)

mzl.vetkqang.320x480-75.jpg

Summoner Wars (free)

mza_8183578244274899737.320x480-75.jpg

Spectromancer

Penny Arcade The Game: Gamers vs. Evil

mzl.gzdgrynp.320x480-75.jpg

Card City Nights ($2, Little Dew Devs)

screen568x568.jpeg

SolForge (free)

screen568x568.jpeg

If you got a iPad i would highly recommend Might and Magic: Duel of Champions. Its free.

screen480x480.jpeg

It has a better business model than Hearthstone and is pretty good. Has like 770 cards now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom