• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most likely because it always needs something else to go with it for it to actually remove anything.

I suppose compared to something that's as amazing as equality consecrate or pyromancer equality or auchenai circle, it's not outrageous. It just surprises me everytime I get explosive trapped or UTH with hunter's mark that it's such a cheap card. Playing around them having UTH with wolves and kill command is tricky enough, I'm always caught off-guard by hunter's mark.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Priest are such garbage to play against as a Hunter. All they use are taunts and have a million spells that destroy all minions with low and high health, making it impossible to do blitz assaults unless you get a perfect draw.

Card Boy

Banned
Priest are such garbage to play against as a Hunter. All they use are taunts and have a million spells that destroy all minions with low and high health, making it impossible to do blitz assaults unless you get a perfect draw.

Your complaining one of the most overpowered classes is having a hard time.

As much fun as I am having with this shaman deck, it's really not suited for the hunter gauntlet on ranked. I'm tempted to add some farseers or blademasters/ancestral healings because they don't die as easily to UTH + timber and explosive trap, even though they aren't as optimal for the other matchups.

It's really good against warlock aggro or zoo, though, which is becoming more common now.

Q8D3vil

funny because priest need to get a perfect draw to even have a chance vs hunter.

Its going to be funny when hunter get nerfed and hunter players begin the complaints.

sohois

Holy Nova is the only spell that can destroy all minions for priests, if I'm not mistaken. And it only does 2 damage

Lyng

Priests can still work and I think they are fun to play. But they are far and away from beeing OP.
Also priest relying on buffing a few creatures only do well if the opponent is either new to the game or build a bad deck.

Beefy

Ergh the LeeRoy + the card that puts a creature back into your hand is op. Had a guy/ girl do it to me twice in one turn.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Just beat my first legendary player, really happy :O

I think just making it so that the doges summoned by UTH not be beasts would very easily make the class balanced (would actually probably need a buff somewhere else to not make it suck), but I don't know how they'd justify it within the lore. Maybe zombie ghost dogs or whatever. I don't think a lot of the synergies in the hunter card set like buzzard, hyena, or kill command were designed with a 2-cost spell that instantly could summon a bunch of beasts with charge in mind.

Still fairly new to the game but I'm loving Shaman the most so far. Put down a Frostwolf Warlord at 9/9, buffed it to 14/9 with Windfury the next turn and just unleashed 28 damage instantly. The other guy couldn't have been happy but damn was it enjoyable.

Although if someone can enlighten me, how well does Shaman stack up at higher ranks? I'm considering making it my main class right now but I don't want to invest in it and then find out it's horrible later on.

sohois

Had easily the worst draw so far in my most recent Arena run, and managed just the one win. Got my first legendary from the resulting pack though, so didn't feel too bad. An Onyxia, which is fine. Must have gone through 30-40 packs before getting it.

Also had a particularly sweet game just recently, playing Mage. Opponent plays two legendaries in a row - Gruul and Alexstrasza, I counter with 2 polymorphs in a row. Guy have must have been raging hard.

I never really played Mage after the tutorial, but I easily won the 5 games for the quest with her.

Today I learned that counterspell beats flare

I've always found it funny that although Counterspell will stop a Shaman spell with Overload, if you have an Unbound Elemental in play it will get the buff even though the Shaman's mana isn't Overloaded on the following turn. At least, it was like that a few months ago, haven't had it occur since then.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Last night was rough. I was rank 1 on my way to legend and had a run of the worst luck I've ever had in this game. Every hunter had unleash combo in the first 10 cards. Every druid had double innervate. Fell all the way back to rank 4

Why do you hate me hearthstone? :(

We are getting to a point again where I think people should just post their rank next to the nerf request...

I've been playing crazy amounts of Diablo 3 so I just now started climbing the ranks and got to 14 last night. Pretty much every game was super hilarious. got to the point where I stopped caring about making good plays and just wanted to make fun plays. for example:

0s7MfzQ.jpg

Still fairly new to the game but I'm loving Shaman the most so far. Put down a Frostwolf Warlord at 9/9, buffed it to 14/9 with Windfury the next turn and just unleashed 28 damage instantly. The other guy couldn't have been happy but damn was it enjoyable.

Although if someone can enlighten me, how well does Shaman stack up at higher ranks? I'm considering making it my main class right now but I don't want to invest in it and then find out it's horrible later on.

The meta at high ranks shifts a lot as certain decks and classes fade in and out of popularity. Shamans were pretty great for the last few seasons but the sudden popularity of hunter means it's one of the worst classes to play. But that's just going to shift again as people build decks to beat the new hunter decks and people stop playing those hunter decks to pick up decks to counter the counter.

Although I'm a bit afraid that the current hunter meta may be a bit stickier than it usually is. Unleash is just way too good right now.

Iceblade

So I'm coming up on having enough dust for my next Legendary in my Mage deck... I'm thinking I'll go either Cairne, Ragnaros, or Ysera. So far the only one I have in there is Sylvanas. What do you guys recommend? I did want to go with Antonidas because of the Mage theme but it seems like he'd be really hard to get momentum on, given his mana cost.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So I'm coming up on having enough dust for my first Legendary in my Mage deck... I'm thinking I'll go either Cairne, Ragnaros, or Ysera. So far the only one I have in there is Sylvanas. What do you guys recommend? I did want to go with Antonidas because of the Mage theme but it seems like he'd be really hard to get momentum on, given his mana cost.

the advantage to cairne or ragnaros is they are good in probably the most decks/classes of all legs. I'd also put Bloodmage in there. Archmage is great definitely... but really then never opens you up more to playing other classes.

The meta at high ranks shifts a lot as certain decks and classes fade in and out of popularity. Shamans were pretty great for the last few seasons but the sudden popularity of hunter means it's one of the worst classes to play. But that's just going to shift again as people build decks to beat the new hunter decks and people stop playing those hunter decks to pick up decks to counter the counter.

Although I'm a bit afraid that the current hunter meta may be a bit stickier than it usually is. Unleash is just way too good right now.

Thanks for the advice. I might just stick with Shaman then as trending to the popular classes will just bite me in the ass down the road once things shake out. Regardless I'll probably wait to see how it turns out with Unleash before crafting too many cards.

inky

I think just making it so that the doges summoned by UTH not be beasts would very easily make the class balanced (would actually probably need a buff somewhere else to not make it suck), but I don't know how they'd justify it within the lore. Maybe zombie ghost dogs or whatever. I don't think a lot of the synergies in the hunter card set like buzzard, hyena, or kill command were designed with a 2-cost spell that instantly could summon a bunch of beasts with charge in mind.

They knew this when the spell was 4 mana and was already good after the redesign. The crazy synergy was always there but Blizzard thought it was too late game for some reason. It's probably how they want it, but a 2 mana spell that can be comboed for: insane card draw, board clear, building up another minion's strenght and rush damage, even all in the same turn, is just too good. Other spells barely do one of the above at higher costs.

They must have some very precise data on matchups to leave it like that, because otherwise it makes no sense. The problem mainly is that it feels cheap because it basically punishes you more the more ahead you are, unless it is within next run winning range.

So I'm coming up on having enough dust for my next Legendary in my Mage deck... I'm thinking I'll go either Cairne, Ragnaros, or Ysera. So far the only one I have in there is Sylvanas. What do you guys recommend? I did want to go with Antonidas because of the Mage theme but it seems like he'd be really hard to get momentum on, given his mana cost.

I'd say cairne, leeroy and thalnos are the top 3 legendaries people should shoot for since they're good in so many decks.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
They knew this when the spell was 4 mana and was already good after the redesign. The crazy synergy was always there but Blizzard thought it was too late game for some reason. It's probably how they want it, but a 2 mana spell that can be comboed for: insane card draw, board clear, building up another minion's strenght and rush damage, even all in the same turn, is just too good. Other spells barely do one of the above at higher costs.

They must have some very precise data on matchups to leave it like that, because otherwise it makes no sense. The problem mainly is that it feels cheap because it basically punishes you more the more ahead you are, unless it is within next run winning range.
I also think it's unfair that it punishes paladin and shaman hero powers. The card is so punishing that just the knowledge that it might be in their deck somewhere is enough to take away their hero power almost completely for the entire game. That doesn't sit right with me.

Were it me, I would just make UTH be 2 mana: summon 2 dogs. Still charge, still beasts, still combo-y, but not as swingy and punishing as it is now.

Scratch

Last night was rough. I was rank 1 on my way to legend and had a run of the worst luck I've ever had in this game. Every hunter had unleash combo in the first 10 cards. Every druid had double innervate. Fell all the way back to rank 4

Why do you hate me hearthstone? :(

:( the star dance sucks. Dont worry, i know that feeling. You can do it!

solarus

Been playing this on iPad. My god, this has to be in contention for game of the year. So addictive, even though I'm a complete beginner and suck, I'm still using the mage which I'm sure must be one of the worst heroes.

I also think it's unfair that it punishes paladin and shaman hero powers. The card is so punishing that just the knowledge that it might be in their deck somewhere is enough to take away their hero power almost completely for the entire game. That doesn't sit right with me.

Were it me, I would just make UTH be 2 mana: summon 2 dogs. Still charge, still beasts, still combo-y, but not as swingy and punishing as it is now.

yeah I completely agree. maybe even make them 2/1 dogs. but limiting their number is important. when you play against hunter you just can't play minions. which is not fun and not interactive.

scy

The random loss streaks suck, especially right outside of Legend. But it still kind of sucks in Legend :( Made it to top 10 Legend last season and then a few bad losses dumped me into the 100s ;__; This game sometimes. Well, then D3 so I probably "finished" last season in the 200s range.

I really need to do this seasons before I forget. Not sure if I'll tryhard for #1 though.

yeah I completely agree. maybe even make them 2/1 dogs. but limiting their number is important. when you play against hunter you just can't play minions. which is not fun and not interactive.

I still just think part of it is that there's nothing around to take advantage of the Hunter doing this.

Unleash is fine in concept, it adds an interesting dimension to the game and I like that playing vs. Hunter requires you to tread this balance and think along a different angle.

However, Unleash + Buzzard + Timberwolf is too cheap (mana cost). And it's borderline broken. Unleash should cost 3 at the least, and I think Wolf should honestly not be 1 mana.

shaowebb

Just gave this a shot. Seems pretty simple, but the things like character powers, classes and the nice touches like replacing bad cards drawn on turn one add a lot to it. Sort of fixes some "bad luck" random situations that have never left traditional setups of most card games.

I'll keep playing. Once I've got a bit more experience I may do a thorough post writeup of how the game is played to link into the OT. Really can't bitch enough about making an OT and straight up saying you dont feel like telling folks anything about how the game plays. How the hell was I supposed to research this to decide if its like stuff I like or stuff I dont like if you dont tell me anything!

Anyhow, OT griping aside things seem cool here and I dig the atmosphere. Thought the characters would be annoying but they add a lot of flavor to what is ordinarily a quieter genre. Fun stuff. Hope it hits android.

bigkrev

Time to make my next legandary!

I have: Alexstrasza, Baron Geddon, Bloodmage Thalnos, Carnie Bloodhoof, Cenarus, Edwin VanCleef, Leeroy Jenkins, Lord Jaraxxus, Nat Pagle, Nozdormu, Ragnaros the Firelord, Sylvanas Windrunner, Tirion Fordring, and Ysera

The ones I'm looking at are: The Black Knight, Grommish Hellscream, Tinkmaster Overspark (dusted when it was nerfed, but kind of regret it now), and Harrison Jones. Black Knight goes in the most decks, I play warrior mostly so Hellscream has tons of appeal, and i'm starting to see Tink and Harrison show up in winning decks.

Vio-Lence

Banned
The reason why buzzard, unleashed, wolf combo is broken is because it actively discourages opponents from playing minions. The synergy is broken.

Its burst damage, board clear, and card draw in a 4 mana package. Theres a reason why hunter is dominating right now.

Celegus

Ergh the LeeRoy + the card that puts a creature back into your hand is op. Had a guy/ girl do it to me twice in one turn.

Seems to be a popular thing for Rogues. Just had one play Leeroy, call him back, play him again with two +4 attack combo cards. 20 damage out of nowhere, though I figured something like that was coming, I just couldn't keep any of my own minions alive long enough.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
is there a good way to deal with water elemental without silence? that 6 health just seems like a really huge roadblock to efficient trading... I mean basically it almost forces you to burn either a silence or hard removal.

Seems to be a popular thing for Rogues. Just had one play Leeroy, call him back, play him again with two +4 attack combo cards. 20 damage out of nowhere, though I figured something like that was coming, I just couldn't keep any of my own minions alive long enough.

Van Cleef is decent-ish, but yeah.. Leeroy is basically the Rogue's class legendary. So many ways for that class to use him.

Deadstar

I'm having a lot of trouble logging in with my blizzard account. I enter my account and authenticator code and it gives me an error. Anyone contacted blizzard to fix this?

Scratch

The random loss streaks suck, especially right outside of Legend. But it still kind of sucks in Legend :( Made it to top 10 Legend last season and then a few bad losses dumped me into the 100s ;__; This game sometimes. Well, then D3 so I probably "finished" last season in the 200s range.

I really need to do this seasons before I forget. Not sure if I'll tryhard for #1 though.

I still just think part of it is that there's nothing around to take advantage of the Hunter doing this.

I'm always surprised how few games it takes in legend to go from high Ranking to low ranking. It's like 40-50 rank per game.

Also logging back in to see I went from 150 to 172 is kinda sad

scy

I'm always surprised how few games it takes in legend to go from high Ranking to low ranking. It's like 40-50 rank per game.

Also logging back in to see I went from 150 to 172 is kinda sad

As far as I can tell, it's just simply because A) You lose more than you win and B) The Elo is really tight at high ranks but not as tight outside of it. Like, losing out of around the top 30-ish when I was grinding was kind of hard. It took 4-5 losses to even drop to 30 once I got up there. Then two losses is out of top 100? It was a freefall. Climbing from low 300s back to like 50 was suffering.

Then I Diablo 3'd until now.

Scratch

As far as I can tell, it's just simply because A) You lose more than you win and B) The Elo is really tight at high ranks but not as tight outside of it. Like, losing out of around the top 30-ish when I was grinding was kind of hard. It took 4-5 losses to even drop to 30 once I got up there. Then two losses is out of top 100? It was a freefall. Climbing from low 300s back to like 50 was suffering.

Then I Diablo 3'd until now.

It's probably a little of both. I haven't played too much ranked since I got legend though. This meta isn't very fun to work through

Minsc

Gold Member
Just gave this a shot. Seems pretty simple, but the things like character powers, classes and the nice touches like replacing bad cards drawn on turn one add a lot to it. Sort of fixes some "bad luck" random situations that have never left traditional setups of most card games.

I'll keep playing. Once I've got a bit more experience I may do a thorough post writeup of how the game is played to link into the OT. Really can't bitch enough about making an OT and straight up saying you dont feel like telling folks anything about how the game plays. How the hell was I supposed to research this to decide if its like stuff I like or stuff I dont like if you dont tell me anything!

Anyhow, OT griping aside things seem cool here and I dig the atmosphere. Thought the characters would be annoying but they add a lot of flavor to what is ordinarily a quieter genre. Fun stuff. Hope it hits android.

Feel free. As for the OP, I really don't care about explaining the game to people. Hell, it's a free game, costs no money to play, and includes a tutorial. If people are so lazy that they need an full explanation, well, there's reviews of the game on the web, and tutorials, as well as plenty of links in the OP as well.

That said, I have nothing against adding more information to the OP, however no one else volunteered to do an |OT| for the release when I asked, and really, the game is not rocket science. In the same 5 minutes you spend reading the OP's information you could have installed the game and given the tutorial a shot.

I mean it's a casual F2P card battle game, based on Warcraft's universe, with Blizzard's typical polish. That about sums it up right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom