• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Why is Mage considered low tier? I feel they have a lot of options for board control

are they? they do seem to be well equipped against the popular decks these days with their good crowd control.

Because they don't have anything special going for them to clinch wins in this meta. They give up early game for board wipes but those aren't that big of a deal when many decks have ways to suddenly have lethal from hand. And that their board wipes will take their entire turn so you just hand priority right back without doing anything on their side of the board.

Beyond that, they have weak card draw options that also give some kind of extra board presence or tempo. So their primary goal is to bait in a big removal X-for-1 play but that is almost always just too slow against most decks anyhow.

Scratch

I wish blizzard would revert the freeze spells nerf to bring back refrigerator Mage. That deck was pretty fun to play as and would be a good check to lifecoach and zoo right now.

Because they don't have anything special going for them to clinch wins in this meta. They give up early game for board wipes but those aren't that big of a deal when many decks have ways to suddenly have lethal from hand. And that their board wipes will take their entire turn so you just hand priority right back without doing anything on their side of the board.

Beyond that, they have weak card draw options that also give some kind of extra board presence or tempo. So their primary goal is to bait in a big removal X-for-1 play but that is almost always just too slow against most decks anyhow.

Everyone also knows how to play them and forces them into inefficient trades.

You cant see time played right?
I hope

Probably not.

inky

That said, I have nothing against adding more information to the OP, however no one else volunteered to do an |OT| for the release when I asked, and really, the game is not rocket science. In the same 5 minutes you spend reading the OP's information you could have installed the game and given the tutorial a shot.

I thought of volunteering, but in the end there was not much to add to the OP, and I would imagine barely anyone reads it other than hunting for links to resources which it already had.

The game has its nuances, but it is so simple to understand that the best way to learn it is playing it.

Got a Baron Gedon from an arena pack today. Brings my total number of legendaries up to 7.

Really want a Ysera though. Only another 1000 dust to go -_-

Bizazedo

Starting to run into Mage decks in constructed that are utilizing secrets. As in, more secrets than ice block + the minions that benefit from secrets. Anyone else encountering / seeing this?

I was surprised, but I guess people are trying new things and that's good at least.

Starting to run into Mage decks in constructed that are utilizing secrets. As in, more secrets than ice block + the minions that benefit from secrets. Anyone else encountering / seeing this?

I was surprised, but I guess people are trying new things and that's good at least.

is there even any viable decks built around secrets? I feel like they are pretty underwhelming and are more annoyances vs possible gamechangers.

playing with an aggressive warrior deck. i think i finally appreciate how good weapons are. Can definitely screw with the opponent's flow.

reynads aggro warrior deck is great for getting up to around rank 10 whenever the ladder resets. I find it much more effective than warlock aggro.

Bizazedo

is there even any viable decks built around secrets? I feel like they are pretty underwhelming and are more annoyances vs possible gamechangers.

I don't know. I didn't think so, but I've been D3'ng, so when I came back to this I was stunned to run into two.

Not that I have a lot of good decks, but if I hadn't been using my one really good deck (Warrior Control), I'd have probably lost.

secret decks are pretty gimmicky and are just going to lose to an experienced player. like the priest decks that run inner fire shenanigans.

I love playing the burn mage deck that has like every card draw card and ice block but I'm pretty sure it's terrible. fun though.

scy

Anything non-Hunter traps isn't really super viable to build around. There's some Mage decks that use them (notably Counterspell) but it's not that great of a deck ultimately.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
hearthstone_screensho1ri8o.png

Good draw? lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A change I never thought I'd ask for was for draws to come quicker. As a Miracle Rogue, I frequently draw through 7-8 cards in a single turn and it's hard to keep track of which draw I'm on so, sometimes, I make a play before I finished drawing when I drew a better play.

Also the whole time limit thing.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
For whatever reason, it really bothers me that Houndmaster is considered a minion and not a beast when he's a big Worge.

Lyng

Anything non-Hunter traps isn't really super viable to build around. There's some Mage decks that use them (notably Counterspell) but it's not that great of a deck ultimately.

Eye for an eye is fantastic though!....no really it is....i promise...oh allright its utter shite

inky

I just had a Druid arena that didn't give me one swipe. I guess you got all of mine. Hate this game sometimes.

Same, no wraths either. Went like 5-3 with it, and my second loss was to a druid who casually dropped FoN and Savage Roar combo on me, Twice. =/

I love swipe, one of my favorite cards in the game. If it drew me 4 cards and gave me an 8-6 minion on board for 6 mana I could probably make legend with my Druid too :p

RazorK1d

I think a lot of the death rattle themed cards coming up in the new adventure mode will be the start of the decline the current Hunter aggro meta and current complaints about the power of UTH. In fact, just what was previewed really discourages aoe in general against those who are gonna skew death rattle.

Maybe having buzzard draw a card for every beast you have on the board at the beginning of your turn (or the end) and giving him better stats to compensate would be a good mid-way point for balancing the hunter class, because Hunter is a really shit class when they are forced into top decking or a card disadvantage. I think being an aggro class that has enormous card draw combos is why hunter is so good, not the specific card that's broken (UTH).

Compared to warlock zoo/murlocs, or warrior aggro, hunter won't ever exhaust itself past turn 7 or run out of cards to play.

I ran into one of these last night. I had lethal, but one of the Mage's secrets blocks fatal strikes. He then proceeded to pull out Alexstrasza to bring his health up to 15, then the next turn played Ysera. All I could do was D:

Majine

Banned
Anyone actually buying packs, or are people just grinding the quest to buy packs?

I don't mind microtransactions per se, but the risk that I get no new cards for a deck has scared me away.

Nome

People who concede right before the winning card hits are the scum of the Earth.
No, the people who play the winning card(s) so slow that there's time to concede are the scum of the Earth.

I'm fairly certain if you just play them fast enough in sequence, the game won't even let you concede.
Anyone actually buying packs, or are people just grinding the quest to buy packs?

I don't mind microtransactions per se, but the risk that I get no new cards for a deck has scared me away.
Spent $50 a few weeks ago, will probably spend more when Adventure Mode is out. Got 2 Legendaries from it (Deathwing and Sylvanas). I think it's worth it; I've spent way more time on this than anything in my Steam account over the past two years combined.

Triz

I dropped over $200 in beta. Havent spent a dime since. Thankfully. Buying a 40 pack of cards should set you up well.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

I grind quests for gold to play arena (when I'm out of gold for arena from playing arena) and the majority of my packs come from arena.

I buy packs sometimes. Figure it's like a CCG and I spent plenty of money on packs for those.

There's sort of a law of diminishing returns at some point, but even if you get 1 legendary you don't have, it saves a ton in ultimate dust value.

Haly

There's an "action queue", as far as I can tell, and concede goes into the action queue, so the only way your opponent's concede takes is there's a pause in between actions.

If you keep playing spells during animations, your opponent wouldn't have the opportunity to concede.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
No, the people who play the winning card(s) so slow that there's time to concede are the scum of the Earth.

I'm fairly certain if you just play them fast enough, the game won't even let you concede.
If there are moves queued up you can't concede. So yes you are right and he is wrong.

If you really want to see your killing blow that bad don't drag the fucking turn out. How about just play the fucking cards instead of "oops" "sorry" "thank you" "well played" "sorry" "sorry" first. You deserve to have your ass conceded on.

Vire

I'm sorry, if you quit right before you are going lose, you are a punk ass bitch.

Even in the turn prior.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm sorry, if you quit right before you are going lose, you are a punk as bitch.

Even in the turn prior.

yawn. if there is no way for me to win and you clearly have the board, I'm happy to give up and move to my next game. Just like in Chess when your opponent has you out numbered... I could keep moving my king around and being a pain, but instead I'd like to start a new game.

borghe

I'm sorry, if you quit right before you are going lose, you are a punk as bitch.
See. You couldn't even get your post out here without "I'm sorry" first.

I'm here to play a game. Your level of satisfaction rates to me somewhere between that guy who dropped his quarter down the drain and wondering if rain feels pain when it splashes.

Vire

yawn. if there is no way for me to win and you clearly have the board, I'm happy to give up and move to my next game. Just like in Chess when your opponent has you out numbered... I could keep moving my king around and being a pain, but instead I'd like to start a new game.
I don't have a problem with people conceding when the game is clearly out of hand, but when it was a close/long match and you quit the turn prior to the finish... You are a fucking child.

Haly

I am far more likely to concede a long game than a short one, seeing as how this game tests my patience.

I usually concede against Priests by turn 7 because I know once I go past 7, it's just going to be a grueling uphill climb.

Anyway, Blizzard can solve this by just having the game continue even if someone disconnects so you can get that rush of victory you so desire.

borghe

Hearthstone GAF full of rage quitters. Good to know...
Clearly that term does not mean what you think it means.

"I am going to lose with what's on the board. Fuck it. Concede."

But people are so fucking diva that they feel robbed of the "satisfaction" (or whatever) of the killing blow? Get over yourself prick.

Vire

Clearly that term does not mean what you think it means.

"I am going to lose with what's on the board. Fuck it. Concede."

But people are so fucking diva that they feel robbed of the "satisfaction" (or whatever) of the killing blow? Get over yourself prick.

It would be the equivalent of someone playing a basketball or football game, getting to the final 20 seconds of the game and realizing that they can't win and then waiving the white flag and forfeiting . Do you realize how ridiculous this would be in professional sports?

If I just spent the last 30 minutes playing with you, have some modicum of respect and finish the game like a gentlemen instead of a sore sport.

Jesus, is that so hard? I don't know what I said that inspired so much hostility from you.

But clearly you have the immaturity of a ten year old so I shouldn't be surprised you try and troll people with concedes at the last possible moment.

Nome

It would be the equivalent of someone playing a basketball or football game, getting to the final 20 seconds of the game and realizing that they can't win and then waiving the white flag and forfeiting . Do you realize how ridiculous this would be in professional sports?

If I just spent the last 30 minutes playing with you, have some modicum of respect and finish the game like a gentlemen instead of a sore sport.

Jesus, is that so hard? I don't know what I said that inspired so much hostility from you.

But clearly you have the immaturity of a ten year old so I shouldn't be surprised you try and troll people with concedes at the last possible moment.
Haha, what?

Why are you comparing Hearthstone to professional sports?
Why not compare it to other games?

Starcraft. Dota. League of Legends.
People GG out in those games all the time at all levels of play. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

You're also projecting a lot. I prefer when my opponents concede because it saves both of us time. I value my time enough that I alt-F4 during the victory/defeat screen in my LOL games so I'm not forced to stare at the screen for an extra 3 seconds while the exit button appears.

Sumidor

The hell are you talking about? Teams DO concede when they know they can't win in professional sports. Why do you think teams throw in their scrubs to finish out games? It's also like any RTS game and you GG when you know you've lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom