• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace 8095

It would be the equivalent of someone playing a basketball or football game, getting to the final 20 seconds of the game and realizing that they can't win and then waiving the white flag and forfeiting . Do you realize how ridiculous this would be in professional sports?

If I just spent the last 30 minutes playing with you, have some modicum of respect and finish the game like a gentlemen instead of a sore sport.

Jesus, is that so hard? I don't know what I said that inspired so much hostility from you.

But clearly you have the immaturity of a ten year old so I shouldn't be surprised you try and troll people with concedes at the last possible moment.
Conceding when you know you've lost is a sign of respect. I don't want to waste my time our my opponents time. The faster the game is over the faster we can get to the next game.

In football when the time is ticking down the wining team downs the ball. It's considered disrespectful to attempt to score when victory is guaranteed. I also consider it disrespectful to keep playing when I knew there is no possibility of me winning. If the game is already over what's the point?

Card Boy

Banned
Just imagine if the Dota 2 snobs got their way and there wasnt a concede option in Hearthstone.

"No concede hardens you up"
"It give you a chance for a comeback"
"Some people like longer games"

Vire

Good god, who would ever think one small comment about conceding would be so controversial.
Conceding when you know you've lost is a sign of respect. I don't want to waste my time our my opponents time. The faster the game is over the faster we can get to the next game.

In football when the time is ticking down the wining team downs the ball. It's considered disrespectful to attempt to score when victory is guaranteed. I also consider it disrespectful to keep playing when I knew there is no possibility of me winning. If the game is already over what's the point?

Wasting time? I'm talking about conceding on the final play or turn prior to that? What are you saving, 15 seconds of my time?

Take your loss like a grownup.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hearthstone is a 1v1, and not even a serious 1v1 game.

The reason you don't ragequit in team games is because you're ruining your team's chances even further. It's out of respect for the time and patience your teammates and opponents placed into the game. When you ragequit in DOTA2/League, you ruin 9 people's games.

Compared to Hearthstone where games take 10-15 minutes on average, against nameless players you can't even talk to, who are mostly in it to grind dailies/ladder, when there isn't anything to salvage from the game because card games require zero execution, it's not even close.
Just imagine if the Dota 2 snobs got their way and there wasnt a concede option in Hearthstone.
Lol, cross-game bitterness.

inky

Why would I want to keep playing a lost game? It's not like I play once every Sunday. I want to move on to the next game. Matches can be 20+ fucking minutes long and it takes 500 of them just to get 1 golden portrait. I really don't see why I should care about seeing my opponent slowly run evefy minion into my face. You won. GG. Let's move on.

Sumidor

Good god, who would ever think one small comment about conceding would be so controversial.

It only became "controversial" because you're throwing out phrases like "punk ass bitch" or "scum of the earth". Obviously you can say whatever you want, but when you tried to back it up by saying it would never happen in professional sports, that's just ridiculous.

Haly

If you really want to blame someone for concede trigger-happiness, blame Blizzard for setting up this game as a grind. Every mode of progression in this game is grindy, you might think the grind is interesting enough by itself, but many other people don't. They just want to get through it.

zoukka

Wasting time? I'm talking about conceding on the final play or turn prior to that? What are you saving, 15 seconds of my time?

Take your loss like a grownup.

You are not taking someones decision to save up time like a grownup.

Vire

It only became "controversial" because you're throwing out phrases like "punk ass bitch" or "scum of the earth". Obviously you can say whatever you want, but when you tried to back it up by saying it would never happen in professional sports, that's just ridiculous.

People only put in reserves when the game is out of hand in a professional basketball game. Not in the final waining 10 seconds of a close game.

Try again.

so is the general consensus to flood the board as much as possible so you have opportunities to attack rather than focusing on direct attack spells?

Card Boy

Banned
so is the general consensus to flood the board as much as possible so you have opportunities to attack rather than focusing on direct attack spells?

Depends on the class. Half the classes can wipe your board with like 1 spell. So you need to keep it mind always.

Haly

Comes down to the type of deck. Some go straight for the face (Aggro warlocks, hunters, miracle rogues), some maintain board control (Control Warriors, Druids), some do a bit of both (Midrange hunters, shamans, paladins).

But spells like Mind Blast and Sinister Strike are usually bad, except in very narrow circumstances.

Sumidor

People only put in reserves when the game is out of hand in a professional basketball game. Not in the final waining 10 seconds of a close game.

Try again.

And what's your point? a 48 minute basketball game, they put in reserves with like 2-3 minutes left. Hearthstone is a 10ish minute game. Seems pretty relative to me. Otherwise other posters wouldn't have said the exact same thing i've been saying.

Haly

Well, some classes can wipe the board clean, but others just roll over and die. What's really important in this game is to know what each class is capable of, what their favorite decks are, and how your deck is supposed to a particular matchup.

Dreavus

Try again.

People can concede whenever they please. You still win the game, and they still lose. What is the problem with this?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It would be the equivalent of someone playing a basketball or football game, getting to the final 20 seconds of the game and realizing that they can't win and then waiving the white flag and forfeiting . Do you realize how ridiculous this would be in professional sports?

If I just spent the last 30 minutes playing with you, have some modicum of respect and finish the game like a gentlemen instead of a sore sport.

Jesus, is that so hard? I don't know what I said that inspired so much hostility from you.

But clearly you have the immaturity of a ten year old so I shouldn't be surprised you try and troll people with concedes at the last possible moment.

you cannot compare a TIMED game to a game where there is a victory condition.

Haly

It's telling how you keep making allusions to competitive sports when they are completely different animals. If you watched competitive Magic, you would know that rarely will two players ever play to completion. Usually, the game ends just before that point, such as when Player A shows lethal from his hand, or Player B draws his last card and scoops if he doesn't have anything. Playing to the very end is actually outside the norm, and is either a desperate bluff (which is impossible in Hearthstone), or just being spiteful.

Miletius

I watched some guy's priest deck smash face today and then went and did my priest quest knowing what tools to use.

Now I need the same for a warrior deck. Still saving up for Curse of Naxx, want to make sure I have enough for each wing as it comes out.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Can't play offline :(

Not great for a road trip then...

this is what god created mobile phone tethering plans for.

I played a ton of this on the road back in early March. The only downside is of course losing connection can be a bitch, but generally speaking it was quite stable with my tethered iphone.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
All these hunters on ladder convincing themselves they are good at the game

Card Boy

Banned
Just had 2 people in a row conceed to this deck and i only did 2 damage to each person.

z3kQ1.png

I cooked up some big Light Spawns and they run out of cards. Some dude tried to use Aldor Peacekeeper on a Lightspawn haha.

scy

This thread sometimes.

"Early" concession is the sign of respect that I know you won't fuck up the lethal you have so I'm not going to make you hit me with three minions. I respect your time enough to go "You won, I lose" and move on. If I "rage quit" during your attack animations, it's because I hit concede while you were queuing up actions and it gets slotted in whenever it happens. Like, if I instantly concede when you show the Fireball / Polymorph / Hex / Black Knight / whatever to kill my only Taunt but you had already dragged four of your five minions to my face while I went Escape -> Concede, my concede is buffered in after four of those five attacks. It's not like I sat there and waited for the last minion to go before hitting concede.

Special C

I'm done with Arena. I'm tired of playing Mages 80% of the time. They really need to do something about it. Make you play a random class, or make you rotate through the classes. It's not that I can't beat them. It's just not fun.

Professional sports have spectators that paid money to attend an event, owners that want to make money from the spectators being at the game, bench players that need play time and are put into the final minutes of a lopsided game.

If there were only 5 players on a Basketball team and they were 20 points down in the final 5 you can be damn sure they'd just forfeit. No need to risk your star's health in an unwinnable game. Poor analogy.

Haly

I just conceded a lost game. And we both said "well played" afterwards.

Typical HearthstoneGAF puerile behaviour. You should be ashamed of yourself for conceding, and he should be ashamed for using "Well Played" sarcastically.

Literally scum of the earth.

scy

I think hes trolling us guys. Only explanation i got.

I just imagine it's a case of perception where he just always assume it's a rage quit scenario and not just a out of respect of time / standard practice for most players.

A football team downing the ball has nothing to do with respect; it has to do with them not wanting to run any other plays that might generate a turnover or injury.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Ok this Malygod deck is fucking incredibly fun

12 dmg moonfall anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom