• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
Any chance they'll remove the jank from the iPad 3 version and actually optimize it?

You make it sound like the problem of games running slowly in retina resolution is unique to Hearthstone... the iPad 3 is simply underpowered for the resolution it runs. People say even the iPad 4th gen has a fair bit of slowdown, which I thought was twice as fast. It's possible, but I wouldn't count on it.

lol people are complaining about forfeiting? when i do the math in my head that ill lose next turn, i 'well played' and concede.

i feel like thats polite courtesy no?

AEREC

You make it sound like the problem of games running slowly in retina resolution is unique to Hearthstone... the iPad 3 is simply underpowered for the resolution it runs. People say even the iPad 4th gen has a fair bit of slowdown, which I thought was twice as fast. It's possible, but I wouldn't count on it.

It's not but I would expect blizzard to optimize their games more...it almost feels like a telltale game.

johnsmith

remember me
I get it now. Conceding is like interrupting his vinegar strokes.

tumblr_m1ixhpcFfF1rrl2rno1_500.jpeg

ultron87

After playing Starcraft and Magic for forever conceding feels like the most natural thing in the world. I never even considered that it would bother people.

After playing Starcraft and Magic for forever conceding feels like the most natural thing in the world. I never even considered that it would bother people.

I don't think it should bother people.

The only time I am a little bit annoyed is when my opponent plays out his final turn, takes a while to do so, knowing he has lost basically, and then concedes the moment I am queuing everything up.

I just think to myself, why is this guy wasting my time to just concede? Why didn't he just concede when he knew he lost. Bleh. It is usually very obvious like I have obvious lethal on the board.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Conceding is saving everyone time. If you have a problem with it, then you have an e-peen bullshit problem.

I don't think it should bother people.

The only time I am a little bit annoyed is when my opponent plays out his final turn, takes a while to do so, knowing he has lost basically, and then concedes the moment I am queuing everything up.

I just think to myself, why is this guy wasting my time to just concede? Why didn't he just concede when he knew he lost. Bleh. It is usually very obvious like I have obvious lethal on the board.

The worst is when you do a massive play -- like, say, a Flamestrike or something that clears their board -- and the opponent just takes the max time for every turn from then on. They're still playing because they have a chance, but they're also wasting as much of your time as possible out of spite. Ugh.

Conceding is saving everyone time. If you have a problem with it, then you have an e-peen bullshit problem.

Yeah, I don't understand the need to see 3 pictures hit another picture in order to make a win feel "real" or something. Who cares? Like has been said, I consider it more of a tap out than anything when an opponent concedes.

Hell, if anything I turn it into a fun mini-game where I race to see if I can finish them off before they concede!

bunbun777

Get this, lately not all the time but sometimes when I know I'm beat instead of conceding I just tap end turn and make them actually finish me of themselves. This was my way of countering my own aggravation with players overkilling but also out of laziness somewhat.

zoukka

Feels bad playing a mage with pyroblast in arena. Only loss so far against a mage with pyroblast :)

I hope blizz balances arena someday.

Iceblade

People who concede right before the winning card hits are the scum of the Earth.

If you think politely "conceding", that is, to admit defeat by the dictionary definition (which is in and of itself an extremely humble thing to do) is rage quitting, then you severely misjudge peoples' intentions.

SteveWD40

If you think politely "conceding", that is, to admit defeat by the dictionary definition (which is in and of itself an extremely humble thing to do) is rage quitting, then you severely misjudge peoples' intentions.

Also, refereing to the "right before the cards hit" part, that guy probably hit concede 10 seconds earlier. It can take moments to process when other things are going on.

I concede the minute somone ignores lethal to showboat, wasting my time.

6 months in, and I finally get my first gold legendary card. I got gold hogger and I already have a non-gold. So definitely going to dust him, I almost dusted the non-gold a few weeks ago.

So I am thinking maybe....

velen
alakir
antonidas
alexstrasza
mukla

I kinda want to make a control priest deck, but it would require velen and alexstrasza (maybe ysera too).

But I also kinda want to make a shaman deck with alakir (although I am pretty dreadful at shaman lol).

And I want to make a frost mage deck with antonidas.

On the other hand... mukla might be that special sauce in my rogue deck (would replace van cleef).

I have all the essential neutral legendary cards (except for alexstrasza and ysera).

I am pretty tempted to make mukla... goes well in my playstyle.... hmmmmmmmm. What to do...

zoukka

10-1 with my basic mage deck so far. Having fireballs and pyroblast feels seriously like cheating. You can get away with anything if you just play card for card and get the opponent to below 20 life.

Minsc

Gold Member
Playing a lot of Hearthstone since the ipad release. Bought ipad air literally a day before it came out here in NZ. I knew it would be way better on ipad to be honest. So easy to pick up, play a few games then do something else.

Also, this is pretty impressive http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/625257520/app-ranking/#daily=2014-04-18&type=ranks

Yeah, it's doing great, I see its gone up to number 12 in the US top grossing list, up from ~23 or so yesterday. I think once they make it a universal app, and it starts pulling in iPhone monies as well (which is a bigger pool than iPad i think), it has a good shot at being top 5 consistently, or at least around the time new content releases for a period.

Panthers

Yeah, it's doing great, I see its gone up to number 12 in the US top grossing list, up from ~23 or so yesterday. I think once they make it a universal app, and it starts pulling in iPhone monies as well (which is a bigger pool than iPad i think), it has a good shot at being top 5 consistently, or at least around the time new content releases for a period.

Well if certain content comes to this game it will see top 5 consistently. My most requested feature is a tournament mode. Right now buying cards is not necessary as both ranked and casual are just for fun. Arena is awesome but it's randomized decks. To truly test out your deck this game needs a tournament mode like Warcraft 3 had. (With prizes)

I wonder if we might start seeing local tournaments now that iPad is released. (If only we could trade. That's half the fun of going to tournaments)

Minsc

Gold Member
The Fireside Gatherings card back releasing next week is pretty ingenious too, I just realized, for inflating their user count. I'm sure quite a bunch of people will be creating two new Hearthstone accounts (to the amount of 100,000s) to get the card back without the need of actually having multiple people with actual accounts under the same roof.

Kosh

Good god, who would ever think one small comment about conceding would be so controversial.

Wasting time? I'm talking about conceding on the final play or turn prior to that? What are you saving, 15 seconds of my time?

Take your loss like a grownup.

Your post had grown up written all over it.

I'm sorry, if you quit right before you are going lose, you are a punk ass bitch.

Even in the turn prior.

Ha ah ha oh man.

Running a really nice Hunter deck, I had their Paladin (or was it priest?) down to like 6 but he had one really strong minion on the board and he just kept feeding it like four buffs, ready to turn the tables on me. At the end of all of it the minion was like a 14/13.

He goes for the face and pops my Freezing Trap.

I had to apologize, and he conceded immediately.

blackflag

I wish they'd come up with a way to let you buy packs or enter arena just by logging into battlenet website. Seems beneficial to them too since then they won't have to pay Apple their cut.

Sucks when I'm traveling for work and I can't enter arena without using the App Store even though I have 40 dollars blizzard balance.

isny

napkin dispenser
The Fireside Gatherings card back releasing next week is pretty ingenious too, I just realized, for inflating their user count. I'm sure quite a bunch of people will be creating two new Hearthstone accounts (to the amount of 100,000s) to get the card back without the need of actually having multiple people with actual accounts under the same roof.

Do you need an ipad for this? How does it know people are all connected to the same network?

de1irium

Do you need an ipad for this? How does it know people are all connected to the same network?

No need for an ipad ... anything that can play Hearthstone will work.

The app can see your internal network IP (and the associated network info: subnet, gateway, etc...), and blizz can see your external IP. It can match that info up and tell who is on what network together.

OR, the app sends out a "hey, anyone else out there playing Hearthstone" broadcast to the local network, relays the responses to blizz, and goes from there. But I think it's the former.

Ghost23

So I just started playing this yesterday. I made a priest deck that has won me 2/2 games so far. Can someone critique my deck and offer some suggestions to better it?

Ghost23

You need Mind Vision. And thoughtsteal. Just sayin.

Ok. How about mind control? Seems a little expensive but maybe it's better than I thought.

Also, what should I take out to put in mind vision and thoughtsteal? I'm guessing those can replace some low level minions

lol people are complaining about forfeiting? when i do the math in my head that ill lose next turn, i 'well played' and concede.

i feel like thats polite courtesy no?

What you will learn quickly about Hearthstone is that people complain about EVERY FUCKING THING EVER.

I think it's because there's no way to rage about other players in-game due to the limited communication, so people take to forums to express how every single minor thing is apparently ruining the game for them. Luckily, the silent majority is busy enjoying the game instead I suppose.

scy

Ok. How about mind control? Seems a little expensive but maybe it's better than I thought.

Also, what should I take out to put in mind vision and thoughtsteal? I'm guessing those can replace some low level minions

The one-of Mind Control is usually a nice thing to have. Two is typically overkill.

I still think Mind Vision isn't that great of a card but if you really want them, they're better than the Voodoo Witch Doctors. Thoughtsteal can just go in over the Mind Blasts.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
So I just started playing this yesterday. I made a priest deck that has won me 2/2 games so far. Can someone critique my deck and offer some suggestions to better it?

http://i.imgur.com/jRq5KdY.jpg

Mind blast is essentially useless. Voodoo Doctor is superfluous, and it has 1 base hp which is not a good mixture with your hero ability. Raid Leader is more or less a terrible card, consider changing it for Raging Worgen (Power Word: Shield has excellent synergy with RW), Harvest Golem, or Injured Blademaster or Imp Master if you can afford it. Another alternative is to switch out both the Novice Engineers and the Raid Leaders for two Acolyte of Pains (for the card draw) and something like Acidic Swamp Ooze or Amani Berserker for the 2-slot.

Get a Mind Control in there, too. Maybe switch out one of the Power Word: Deaths for it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Historically that was true, but in the US now, iPad has overtaken that.

The two charts are separate though usually.

Ghost23

Mind blast is essentially useless. Voodoo Doctor is superfluous, and it has 1 base hp which is not a good mixture with your hero ability. Raid Leader is more or less a terrible card, consider changing it for Raging Worgen (Power Word: Shield has excellent synergy with RW), Harvest Golem, or Injured Blademaster or Imp Master if you can afford it. Another alternative is to switch out both the Novice Engineers and the Raid Leaders for two Acolyte of Pains (for the card draw) and something like Acidic Swamp Ooze or Amani Berserker for the 2-slot.

Get a Mind Control in there, too. Maybe switch out one of the Power Word: Deaths for it.

Thanks for the help. I heard about Injured Blademaster, but I didn't have any. What would be the easiest way to get them? I'll start experimenting and seeing what does best.

Also, when should I start doing ranked and arena? I've beaten all of the AI (not expert) and I have all the basic cards for mage and priest. I will probably focus on those two decks and maybe pick up druid or something later down the road.

LiveWire

How much gold did you get ?
The last 2 times i got 12 wins the gold was really pathetic.

How are you guys getting to 12 wins so often? My highest has been 7 with a mage. What is your ranked level? What kind of players are you getting in your arena matchups? I use arenamastery, I've played thousands of games and have been in the single digit ranks on ranked play, but when it comes to arena I don't know how I can draft and play the cards any better than what I'm already doing. I feel like I lose so many games due to bad luck.

inky

Thanks for the help. I heard about Injured Blademaster, but I didn't have any. What would be the easiest way to get them? I'll start experimenting and seeing what does best.

Also, when should I start doing ranked and arena? I've beaten all of the AI (not expert) and I have all the basic cards for mage and priest. I will probably focus on those two decks and maybe pick up druid or something later down the road.

You can do either right away, but I would recommend starting with ranked. Just look up some of the ranked basic decks (there's plenty around, people recommend Trump's decks) and go at it. Arena requires a bit of a better understanding of the game, especially which are the more valuable cards to draft and the best way to use them to trade or do damage. There are resources to help you with that too, but if I was you I'd just jump into ranked and play a bunch of games to get a good feel for the game and classes. The first 5-10 ranked levels are a good testbed, and you don't lose ranks from 25-20 so it doesn't matter if you lose.

Do your daily quests and amass a bit of gold too, and when you feel you get what most cards do, then do an Arena to see how it goes.

Ghost23

You can do either right away, but I would recommend starting with ranked. Just look up some of the ranked basic decks (there's plenty around, people recommend Trump's decks) and go at it. Arena requires a bit of a better understanding of the game, especially which are the more valuable cards to draft and the best way to use them to trade or do damage. There are resources to help you with that too, but if I was you I'd just jump into ranked and play a bunch of games to get a good feel for the game and classes. The first 5-10 ranked levels are a good testbed, and you don't lose ranks from 25-20 so it doesn't matter if you lose.

Do your daily quests and amass a bit of gold too, and when you feel you get what most cards do, then do an Arena to see how it goes.

Should I save my gold for arena or just buy packs?

inky

Really digging the beta on my mac, and I love that there's no chat option.

It's funny because about 4 people have added me after a match to chat and all of them were very friendly. One guy literally added me to say GG after I won because he "didn't say well played", and wished me good luck with my run (he was at 8-2 and I just got my 7th win). That was weird.

I don't want to imagine the kind of things people would say if there was a chat option. I'm also glad there isn't.

Should I save my gold for arena or just buy packs?

That depends if you enjoy doing arena. It always gives you a pack, so you only need about 3 wins to get the other 50 gold back, so in my opinion it is worth it to just do arenas. Later on, it might be good to buy a few packs straight up, if you are planning on disenchanting useless cards and crafting the ones you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom