• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
Mages. Are fucking horrible. Top deck flamestrike. Top deck flamestrike. Top deck fireball. Top deck three different taunt cards. When you're outplaying someone at every single turn yet they keep top decking AOE cards that wipe the board or high damage spell cards then the class is fucked.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Went 6-3 and 7-3 and was feeling good until 0-3 happened. Druid deck I was unhappy with and then three very fast mages. Eep.

TP17

Finished my first arena run, turned the 4-0 from last night into a… 5-3! haha. Then opened a legendary - the black knight!

Now to move onto trying out ranked games.

If I take an screenshot how could I upload it quick from my ipad{? this one was uploaded to twitter and looks like ass

I've got the imgur app on my ipad. I just take a screenshot, upload it to imgur and choose the share link of my preference. It takes a minute at max, from the moment I take the shot until I have the link to share it on the forums. :)

Al'Akir "needs" Rockbiter or Flametongue Totem but most Shaman decks run those anyway. He's sudden burst to close games out but, compared to Leeroy, he can be used to gain the board back if needed.

Thanks for the advice. Tried out a Shaman deck yesterday. Can be quite some fun! :D

Phreaker

I've got the imgur app on my ipad. I just take a screenshot, upload it to imgur and choose the share link of my preference. It takes a minute at max, from the moment I take the shot until I have the link to share it on the forums. :)

I do the same using the minus App to upload iPad screenshots. Easy peasy.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just played arena as a hunter against a Pally, he got me down to 4 health while he was at 21, and he had 4 mobs on the board. I lay down explosive trap as one of my final cards, wipe his board and then go on to win the game. Glorious.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, Hunters are getting really annoying and un-fun to play against. Their combos are just too cheap (in mana cost as well as crafting cost, because most of the cards are rewarded for leveling up and ET and UTH are common) for what they give in return. Yeah sure, 'just don't play more than two minions'; that doesn't work for shit when they have Hunter's Mark, any high taunter on the field, Deadly Shot, Arcane Shot, Kill Command, Explosive Shot and Multi-Shot. Hunters themselves also have what might be the cheapest / most effective counter to rush-decks in the game with Explosive Trap.

Yeah sure, 'but they need to draw specific cards', but they have Tracking which eliminates part of the RNG and otherwise already have card draw with Buzzard.

This game would be more fun and varied if UTH was bumped up to Epic rarity or had it's text modified so that the summoned hounds don't have charge.

You know what, just remove the card from the game. Problem solved. I don't care how any of this might affect certain 'great' players or how it would be 'too much of a change' to the meta, I just want to be able to enjoy this game without having to face 20 Hunters in a day with identical decks centered around that one single card's existence.

Yes, I am salty. Yes, I did just go up against five Hunters in a row that all had identical decks.

Mages. Are fucking horrible. Top deck flamestrike. Top deck flamestrike. Top deck fireball. Top deck three different taunt cards. When you're outplaying someone at every single turn yet they keep top decking AOE cards that wipe the board or high damage spell cards then the class is fucked.

My most frustrating games are against mages but I love the game still.

The worst is poly, flamestrike, that stupid ice block secret and that legendary that gives then a fireball or whatever every turn.

Also those cards that deal x damage to all minions. Lol

inky

How do I get to 12 wins? Halp

Draft Ragnaros.

LOL, ain't that the truth. Managed to go 12 with that Priest deck from yesterday =D Temple Enforcer is such an OP card, and I have a newfound respect for Snapjaw. The draft if you are curious:

6rG7DEz.png
q7OEz3q.png

I just seemed to have an answer for everything people put on the board. Figures that I get my first 12 in a while on EU where I just fooling around. Hearthstone is a cruel mistress indeed.
At least from 6 wins to 12 I didn't face single Hunter.

sibarraz

Banned

Thanks for the advice. Tried out a Shaman deck yesterday. Can be quite some fun! :D

Thanks for the advice

zoukka

Two 12 runs in a row with mages. From almost zero gold to almost 1k again and got two value epics in the process, mountain giant and gorehowl.

Thank you new wave of players.

ultron87

I really wish there was a way to play best 2 out of 3s in Matchmaking. Obviously it would hurt the "quick play" nature of the game, but it'd also theoretically smooth out how much variance affects the final result and let you react to your opponents deck style in the later games when deciding on starting hands and what plays to make.

zoukka

Blizzard has clearly wanted to narrow the gap between good and bad players. I'm not even too bothered since the game is just so accessible that it means it's going to have a large audience and that benefits all TCG fans.

The biggest issue at the moment to me is the fact that some heroes have more useless cards for arena than others.

kirblar

Blizzard has clearly wanted to narrow the gap between good and bad players. I'm not even too bothered since the game is just so accessible that it means it's going to have a large audience and that benefits all TCG fans.

The biggest issue at the moment to me is the fact that some heroes have more useless cards for arena than others.
Not losing all the time, even if you're playing poorly, is one of the psychological draws of games like MTG and Poker to a certain subset of the audience.

TP17

Had a couple of crashes on my iPad mini, every time at the spot you would leave a ranked game to go back the menu.

Could have fooled me. I'm doing worse than ever before.

inky

Two 12 runs in a row with mages. From almost zero gold to almost 1k again and got two value epics in the process, mountain giant and gorehowl.

Thank you new wave of players.

Man, my 12 win rewards have been relatively crap compared to that. This last one gave me 255 G, 2 golden commons and 1 pack.

I remember the first time I got to 12 I got like 450 G and 2 packs. I don't know if tbey stealth nerfed them or they figure they are giving out too much gold now that paid content is coming =S

I just can't bring myself to grind for legendary this season. My rogue deck actually does okay with the lifecoach hunter and very well vs zoolock, I think I am just getting burned out. I need to play more titanfall and other fpses now that I got my gpu replaced.

shaowebb

Took a breather and played. I'm digging the Shaman so far. Totems are a fun thing to pop in and they tend to fill boards quickly. Very weak to AOE mage tactics from what I'm seeing early on. Too little health. Likely would get further using cards that summon tokens though if I can gain some cards. Got plenty of attack buff cards and taunters to make life good.

I like this game. Its no Culdcept, but it corrects a lot of issues I see in the CCG genre. I like their mana system that keeps mana burn at bay but still staggers the amount of mana you can just get in a hurry. I like the character powers acting as a failsafe to your deck should you run out of playable cards. I like the ability to selectively mulligan cards on your opening hand with zero penalty to your opening hand size. I like the Crystal mana card being awarded to whoever goes second to effectively counteract being a turn behind by boosting them a turn on Mana. Good ideas all around there.

From here it all just relies on how well they can balance the actual cards and classes. Definitely smart they isolated some cards to various classes. This means they can go crazy but still isolate certain cards from others to prevent the inevitable OP combos from happening by accident as the game expands.

GeoGonzo

My first ever golden legendary found in a pack and it comes from the iPack (it really does seem more generous than a regular expert pack). Performance in the iPad 3 is almost tolerable, but i'll stick to PC till I get a new iPad, possibly this year.

Ever since the iPad release I've been on fire and really destroying arena.

I went 12-2 on a Rogue, 12 - 1 on a Hunter and now 1 - 0 on a Hunter, with a 9 - 3 on a Shaman in between.

I hadn't really played since Diablo 3: RoS came out so I can't tell if I've just changed my play style from the break or a lot more people are bad at the game now. I'm going with that.

Iceblade

This is the most infuriating game in existence. I've lost count of how many times my opponent has turned it around and won when having 1-5 hp left.

This is why you go for board control first and foremost. HP is nothing but a secondary resource to the main object of having creatures with presence on your board. You never know what the opponent could pull out of their hand, so ignoring whatever they have and going for the face can always be a bad judgement call.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This is why you go for board control first and foremost. HP is nothing but a secondary resource to the main object of having creatures with presence on your board. You never know what the opponent could pull out of their hand, so ignoring whatever they have and going for the face can always be a bad judgement call.

You don't necessarily want to waste an advantage, though. If you've got a 4/4 and the opponent only has a 1/1, it's a much better idea to hit the face for four damage rather than kill the minion that's probably not an immediate threat. Don't treat every minion like it's a taunt.

Iceblade

You don't necessarily want to waste an advantage, though. If you've got a 4/4 and the opponent only has a 1/1, it's a much better idea to hit the face for four damage rather than kill the minion that's probably not an immediate threat. Don't treat every minion like it's a taunt.

Very true, so of course take it on a case-by-case basis. If it's a Paladin, for example, there's always the possibility they could Blessing of Kings or Blessing of Might that 1/1 creature.

Also, any class can Dark Iron Dwarf/Abusive Commander to trade up with one of your guys.

Tarazet

You can develop a feel for when you can safely go for the face, and when you can't. I try at all costs to avoid situations where I'm forced to play whatever I topdeck; you can easily get into that situation by overplaying your hand and getting shafted by a board wipe, but it can happen in more subtle ways as well. Never walk into plays that will make card draw easier.

Depends on the matchup and what you have in your deck/hand. Way too many people play defender of argus, for example. So leaving a minion alone can be dangerous. Even if it's a 1/1. But if you're a hunter holding an unleash then you'll want to leave it alone.

Board control is a lot more than just the minions on the board.

Zeliard

This is the most infuriating game in existence. I've lost count of how many times my opponent has turned it around and won when having 1-5 hp left.

I've won a number of games like this when the opponent makes the grave error of not killing my tundra rhino when I have a core hound ready to go. If it gets to late game I also have an Onyxia in my deck, which causes a lot of amusing forfeits when I bust it out.

Came back from a 25-2 HP deficit a few days ago due to the opponent just attacking and underestimating late cards.

johnsmith

remember me
Ugh. I'm done with this game. Gonna just do my daily quests and save my gold for the adventure mode/packs. No more arena. Sick of feeling like every person I play just has the perfect counters for all my moves.

Raxus

Ugh. I'm done with this game. Gonna just do my daily quests and save my gold for the adventure mode/packs. No more arena. Sick of feeling like every person I play just has the perfect counters for all my moves.

I did the same. Best thing I ever did. I already have a great library of cards. At this point I just want a new set before I start putting down some more cash.

FStop7

Banned
If you can't beat them, join them. After being so frustrated last night I went back into Arena and tried a mage. I drafted 2 flamestrikes, 4 fireballs, 1 pyroblast, and a bunch of great minions. I went on to win a bunch of games. Does anyone still not think that Arena is fundamentally broken?

I'm on an arena run as a mage right now and I feel so bad for two players. I have 3 fireballs, 2 flamestrikes, 2 frostbolts so its already an awesome deck.

First a paladin has the unfortunate luck of me pulling all of my fireballs and frost bolts in my first few cards. There was really nothing he could do.

Then I face a rogue who makes a really bad play. I have a taunted water elemental and argent out. He has 2 harvesters out already and puts down a loot hoarder and cult master down. He smashes his harvesters into my taunt and leaves behind the two 2/1s. He's now at 8 cards so on my turn I kill the loot hoarder to max him out. Wipe his board so he continues to lose cards on my turn and his draw. There was a point where I was at 20 cards and he at 10. He lost some good stuff too like backstab which he could've used.

Which legendary should I craft next? I have:

Cenarius
Tirion (golden!)
Velen
Lord Jaraxxus, Eredar Lord of the Burning Legion
Leeroy
Harrison Jones
Cairne
Ragnaros
Akexstrasza
Ysera

I'm thinking Thalnos, but I kind of want the Black Knight for some Druid shenanigans. Sylvannas would be cool too. Thalnos would probably fit in every deck I play though. I play Warlock, Warrior, Druid, and Paladin.

ZZMitch

Arena isn't just mage town. I am currently tearing through (6-0 atm) with a Warrior deck that has 3 Fiery War Axe, 3 Arathi Weaponsmith, 2 Arcanite Reaper and a Gorehowl.

Faces have been smashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom