• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

man why is when I go up against another druid he is playing two ancient of wars, if I played that in my druid deck I would literally get murdered by zoo before turn 7, so annoying. Or murdered by other control decks running black knight.

Strider

The hunter decks have made there way to casual, low mmr games.
or maybe I moved up?

I like to play most of the classes but before today if I ever needed a win I'd just go to my mage deck... but today didnt go so well :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If it's a Paladin, for example, there's always the possibility they could Blessing of Kings or Blessing of Might that 1/1 creature.

Or you could throw your 4/4 at the 1/1, and then be on the receiving end of a Hammer of Wrath.

Yes, there's always some element of risk by ignoring minions on your opponent's side of the board. You have to weigh the minion's immediate threat with the possible threats. But in general, I think it's kind of a waste to grab bulky units and use them to try and clear minor minions off the board, one turn at a time. You have to make your powerful minions a force that your opponent needs to respond to.

Ghost23

This is what happened for me in Hearthstone today:

-Bought 30 packs and received 0 legendaries and 3 epics.
-Lost 3 arena matches in a row after 2 wins yesterday.

Kettch

man why is when I go up against another druid he is playing two ancient of wars, if I played that in my druid deck I would literally get murdered by zoo before turn 7, so annoying. Or murdered by other control decks running black knight.

I actually do quite well against Zoo despite having them. Swipe, Starfall, Wild Pyro+cheap removal spells, lots of taunt, Innervate.

I do want to replace the ancient of wars though as they do have too many counters, need to craft up some Faceless Manipulators.

soldat7

This is what happened for me in Hearthstone today:

-Bought 30 packs and received 0 legendaries and 3 epics.
-Lost 3 arena matches in a row after 2 wins yesterday.

This is why I'll probably never spend money on this game. I can't stand the idea of buying digital "boosters". I don't trust their algorithms. Plus I can't buy individual cards, so the model breaks down for me. The situation is worse than physical CCGs. And don't get me started on the cost to enter the Arena...yikes.

Hearthstone is a great game, but the time and money investment required to remain competitive over the long run is scaring me away. (And no asynchronous play, a so-so iPad UX, and no offline practice mode...)

Yeah I think I'm done with Hearthstone for a while. There's too much RNG and too much top decking.

And this.

Special C

If you can't beat 'em, Join em!

Choose Mage 3 times in a row. In 3 Drafts TOTAL, 1 Flamestrike, 2 Fireballs, 2 PolyMorphs, 2 Water Elementals, 2 Blizzards

Serves me right.

de1irium

Can I get some feedback on this deck? Been having very good luck with it all of a sudden ... I'm only rank 15 but went 7-1 in my last 8 games. A really bad mulligan can be almost impossible to recover from, but it seems like as long as I can innervate/coin a Yeti or Druid on turn 2-3 I'm in a pretty good position.

R1Uouu7.png

wtf just got an arena draft with 3 legendaries and 4 eviscerates.

Letsee if this is as good as it sounds (and if I can live up to the draft)

FStop7

Banned
I have Leeroy as the only neutral legendary. I take Cairne would be the most useful legendary next?

What class do you play? Bloodmage Thalnos comes in very handy for casters. He's devastating for Rogues, too. Probably my favorite legendary along with Leeroy.

I've been so streaky this weekend. It started off with an epic collapse, loss after loss - fell from the top of rank 12 all the way to 18. Then today I started paying closer attention and quickly gained 5 ranks, back to 13. I've been using Trump's F2P Warlock deck, which is pretty similar to Reynad's zoo deck. My biggest problem is because the deck largely consists of low cost cards I just blow them all out as soon as I get the mana and then I end up getting cleared out by Consecration, Swipe, Flamestrike, Holy Nova, etc. When I pay closer attention and stick to buffing a few cards I do massively better. I also tend to always go for the face rather than attacking the other player's minions and that also costs me a lot of games.

That said, I stand by my earlier complaint that there are way too many games decided by RNG and top decking. I've had some ludicrous losses due to RNG and I've seen worse happen to high ranked players on streams. The worst offenders are Animal Companion and totem summons. To see a Hunter getting methodically beaten down only to win off some cheese after the RNG gives him 2 Mishas in a row... that will drain the motivation to play out of anyone.

zoukka

It's not as much RNG as it is that in HS hero specific cards have such high power compared to the rest of the stuff. Every class has at least few cards that in a void look completely OP. Don't make plays thinking card x has a 33% chance of doing Y. Make plays that are the safest against the best rolls that card can give to your opponent. And vice versa, never trust your own RNG cards too much, play around the worst case scenario.

Once you stop committing rows of minions against mages and hunters you start to realise how strongly it affects their plays even though it would feel bad to play mana inefficiently.

Oh and I play all classes, don't have a fave hero yet, which is why I need a versatile legendary. Thalnos and Cairne are both good, but Cairne is just ludicrius against some decks.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Can I get some feedback on this deck? Been having very good luck with it all of a sudden ... I'm only rank 15 but went 7-1 in my last 8 games. A really bad mulligan can be almost impossible to recover from, but it seems like as long as I can innervate/coin a Yeti or Druid on turn 2-3 I'm in a pretty good position.

maybe try a budget version of ramp druid with wild growth, etc it isn't far off from your deck. if you dont have ancient of lore then you may want a nourish

http://hearthstone.blizzpro.com/2014/04/18/deck-of-the-week9-ramp-druid/

not sure which version would be best vs aggro so you might have to look into that

zoukka

I play rag in arena and clear opponents board. He plays a Geomancer and two fireballs :D

My beautiful shaman deck was destined to be 12 wins or 3 mage encounters.

Minsc

Gold Member
This is why I'll probably never spend money on this game. I can't stand the idea of buying digital "boosters". I don't trust their algorithms. Plus I can't buy individual cards, so the model breaks down for me. The situation is worse than physical CCGs. And don't get me started on the cost to enter the Arena...yikes.

Hearthstone is a great game, but the time and money investment required to remain competitive over the long run is scaring me away. (And no asynchronous play, a so-so iPad UX, and no offline practice mode...)

You can buy individual cards, at the rate of 1 expert pack = 40 dust (being this is the minimum, people say the average is more like 100 dust). I never understood why people say they don't have cards for purchase when every last card in the game is craftable.

Cost to enter arena is dirt cheap right? We're talking about $0 vs what, $8 for MTGO? They give you free entry every couple days (assuming you suck and don't win anything back). Furthermore, you can have multiple accounts and play in multiple regions, to arena all night long (well once a day at least) for free.

Card Boy

Banned
Had some fight against a warrior and he only won because he had legendaries and he kept spamming the sorry command. Next match i am VSing the same dude and i beat him and i kept on spamming sorry back.

Felt good man.

Birthday today, all month I was saving up my gold from quests and what not to (as a birthday present to myself) open a ton of packs at once. Total was 10 packs (perfectly averaged about 50g a day) and while I still haven't gotten my golden legendary, I did get a couple of goldens that look quite nice...

Ix5ZWBZ

I've gotten enough cards, I'm honestly thinking about saving my dust for more golden... Gadgetzan looks so awesome in gold and the additional rage when I combo him 10 times in my miracle deck would be amazing.

Bizazedo

I've gotten enough cards, I'm honestly thinking about saving my dust for more golden... Gadgetzan looks so awesome in gold and the additional rage when I combo him 10 times in my miracle deck would be amazing.

Gadgetzan is so much fun. Had an opponent concede last night when I used Gadgetzan to draw 5 cards in one turn. He had two cards in his hand, I was up to 7 after that.

soldat7

You can buy individual cards, at the rate of 1 expert pack = 40 dust (being this is the minimum, people say the average is more like 100 dust). I never understood why people say they don't have cards for purchase when every last card in the game is craftable.

Cost to enter arena is dirt cheap right? We're talking about $0 vs what, $8 for MTGO? They give you free entry every couple days (assuming you suck and don't win anything back). Furthermore, you can have multiple accounts and play in multiple regions, to arena all night long (well once a day at least) for free.

Alright. I'm ignorant to crafting; I'll check it out. $1.99 or 150 gold feels like a lot for a noobie like me.

I'm still not convinced legendary cards are well ballanced. Or make sense anyway.

they often provide a lot of value for their cost but they're not much more difficult to deal with than non-legendary cards. you just have to think about them when you play. ysera can be polymorphed or hexed or hunter's marked just like any other big threat.

in fact, the most pain in the ass deck to deal with right now doesn't have a single legendary in the most popular variants(some people run mukla but i think he's super weak in the hunter mirror match). in constructed decks card synergy is way more important than individual card quality.

How do quests work exactly?

I feel like if I beat one every day, the next day's is always worth 40, but if I miss one on a day, the new one the next day is worth more.

Is it worth more to not do your quests every day?!?!?

zoukka

How do quests work exactly?

I feel like if I beat one every day, the next day's is always worth 40, but if I miss one on a day, the new one the next day is worth more.

Is it worth more to not do your quests every day?!?!?

They are random. You can change one per day by clicking the x on the top of the quest.

Minsc

Gold Member
Do we have any idea of when PvE is coming?

Summer. So hopefully around August.

Or to look at it another way, we have 3-4 more PVP seasons of what we have now before new cards come along (and only a meager 30 cards at that).

Bizazedo

I find myself having no desire to play Arena and just blow my 1k gold on packs, despite knowing that the Arena is the "smart" choice :(.

Madn

Summer. So hopefully around August.

Or to look at it another way, we have 3-4 more PVP seasons of what we have now before new cards come along (and only a meager 30 cards at that).

Thanks. Yeah, I think what's limiting Hearthstone at the moment is the small pool of cards

Aesthet1c

I really hope this has asynchronous play when it releases on iphone.

Seems like such a perfect game to have multiple matches going on with buddies during my work day.

zoukka

I find myself having no desire to play Arena and just blow my 1k gold on packs, despite knowing that the Arena is the "smart" choice :(.

I have no desire to play ranked, I get no rewards and the meta is pretty boring. Ranked just feels worthless to play next to arena, where I rack gold and packs.

Minsc

Gold Member
Thanks. Yeah, I think what's limiting Hearthstone at the moment is the small pool of cards

Yeah, unfortunately, 30 cards won't really help too much, compared to a 200 card expansion with a new hero class, which all we know about is that it is going to be quite a bit further off since they go through things one at a time, and likely after PvE will be focusing on Android and iPhone.

I mean sure, they can work on both an expansion and the Android port with different people simultaneously, but I think for "looks," releasing an Android port a few months after PvE, then the expansion a few months after that gives them the appearance of staying active, but unfortunately puts us in to December or even 2015 before we see any serious changes.

Then the question becomes if they bring out an expansion in Q1 of 2015, do we see anything at all for the rest of that year, aside from an adventure or two. Hopefully, but they don't discuss their long term roadplans very much.

Kosma

Banned
Just beat a warrior that played Cairne, Alexstrasza, Baron Geddon , Hellscream and Gorehowl in one game.

Feels good bro's.

Silenced the Cairne with an owl, then hunter marked it. The owl mopped it up next turn.

Baron Geddon went down with a Kill Command.

Then later on he had Gorehowl and Hellscream up. Board was empty. He was at 11 health, I was at 13.

I put down a Misdirection and used UTH to buff Hellscream. He saw what I was doing maybe and put down Alexstrasza to buff him to 15. Then he attacked and Hellscream and Alex killed each other.

I mopped him up afterwards.

Dude must be pissed as hell cause my deck is this:

Olrfdp4.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

hearthstone has a pretty typical pool for a launch CCG (380 cards). granted those cards (with tweaks) have been around for like 9 months-ish or so.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Alright. I'm ignorant to crafting; I'll check it out. $1.99 or 150 gold feels like a lot for a noobie like me.

I wouldn't pay real money because you won't get a positive return if you aren't good enough to get a decent amount of wins. I would do the quests to save for an arena every few days. Eventually the time to get 150 gold will be short. When you get good enough at arena the barrier is how much you really want to play an arena run. I make my gold back on average but it takes ages to play when you get 7+ wins. At this point I'm only doing it to get dust for a few of the legendaries I'm missing. Another reason why paying for Arena is not great is drafting is important and going into that with little experience is a good way to not have a good run.

Q8D3vil

I have Leeroy as the only neutral legendary. I take Cairne would be the most useful legendary next?
Cairne is too good right now followed by Rag and Harrison jones (counter the current shaman/rogue/hunters meta). Blacknight is excellent even though i dont have it (very good vs handlocks).

zoukka

hearthstone has a pretty typical pool for a launch CCG (380 cards). granted those cards (with tweaks) have been around for like 9 months-ish or so.

But the segmentation of those cards under the heroes makes the pool a lot smaller in reality.

Aside from the explosive trap and demolisher(lol why?) that deck is a pretty rough matchup for control warrior unless they get out some early armor smiths.

Bizazedo

I am sitting on 2900 dust and trying to decide the next Legendary I craft. I sacrificed a golden Tinkmaster and a normal Tinkmaster to the gods to get to this point and crafted Ysera and Bloodmage. Still, 2900'ish left to play with.

I am primarily playing my Warrior Control deck (many hearts) and it's currently stacked with...

Cairne
Sylvanas
Ysera
Ragnaros
Grom Hellscream
Alexstracza

I currently have, outside of my fave deck..

Nat Pagle
Prophet Velen
Malygos
Bloodmage Thalnos
Leeroy Jenkins
Tirion Fordring
Edwin Van Cleef

Highly debating what to build next. Leaning towards Black Knight. He feels like the last "Try Hard" card that I'd need, but afraid to press that crafting button.

Yes, yes, I know. Jaraxxus :p. Ignoring him, though.

depths20XX

So I've been using a similar mage deck to the one Kungen was using on his stream yesterday. Seems to deal with most of the current decks really well. Almost feels unfair around rank 9-10 I got like 7 wins in a row.

You basically just stall and draw cards the whole time and then freeze, ice lance, ice lance, pyro. Feels dirty. Frost nova'ing their board and clearing with a Doomsayer is also really satisfying.

So I've been using a similar mage deck to the one Kungen was using on his stream yesterday. Seems to deal with most of the current decks really well. Almost feels unfair around rank 9-10 I got like 7 wins in a row.

You basically just stall and draw cards the whole time and then freeze, ice lance, ice lance, pyro. Feels dirty. Frost nova'ing their board and clearing with a Doomsayer is also really satisfying.

yeah it's really fun to play and most people don't expect it. like hunter should be a really bad matchup because flare clears ice block but so many times they just burn flare for the card draw.

Kosma

Banned
Aside from the explosive trap and demolisher(lol why?) that deck is a pretty rough matchup for control warrior unless they get out some early armor smiths.

I dunno Im still thinking about what to add for that demolisher.

Just made this deck 2 days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom