• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarus

love this game on my mac, but it seems to crash fairly often on my iPad...are there any helpful tips to help reduce this?

You'll have to wait for an update that improves performance on older iPads. The game works perfectly on my iPad Air though, no crashes yet but the game does not seem demanding at all so it's pretty inexcusable that older iPads are having issues.

Minsc

Gold Member
You'll have to wait for an update that improves performance on older iPads. The game works perfectly on my iPad Air though, no crashes yet but the game does not seem demanding at all so it's pretty inexcusable that older iPads are having issues.

I wouldn't count on it. Each generation of iPad you go back is twice as slow as the one before, and there's only so many times you can half a machine's power and still maintain a good framerate. The game doesn't even run great on a Macbook Air (pre-retina).

The fact that there's slowdown on even a fourth generation iPad leads me to believe there's no-to-little hope for the iPad 2 / 3 getting perfectly smooth like on the iPad Air / mini retina. Perhaps they can tweak it for the 4th gen iPad, but to me it seems to much to go back to a 2nd gen iPad.

Minsc

Gold Member
Interesting blue post about reshuffling rules:

re: not being able to draw mulligan'd cards back said:
This was the case early on in our beta testing phase. However, the rules for mulligans have changed since then. Cards you mulligan are returned to the deck, shuffled and dealt to you once more. There is a chance that you can get back any number of cards you had mulliganed. This is working as intended.

They are claiming if you mulligan 4 cards (say they are all 1-of in the deck), there's a chance to redraw them in the mulligan phase (not the first draw of the game phase). However reading to the end of the thread, a full hand mulligan of 4 cards you have 1 of in a deck of 30 should amount to a very high percentage of drawing one of those four cards back (they claimed ~37%)... yet there is still not a single video amongst thousands of hours of twitch/youtube showing this happening.

I think it's not working like the blue is claiming, but it is interesting to know that soon it will probably be fixed to let you mulligan back the exact same cards you wanted to get rid of.

What this means is when it is fixed, in order to not have dead starting hands you'll need to stack more lower cost cards in your deck, or you risk now getting back the same three 5+ cost cards you tossed away in the mulligan stage (where before if you got them in your starting hand, you'd never mulligan them and have a better chance of getting a lower cost card). So in effect, hooray for zoo warlock.

Minsc

Gold Member
I've drawn back cards that I've mulliganed a few times.

There is not a single video of this online, anywhere. The odds of it happening are too great for that to be the case... you also have to take in to account if you have 2 copies of a card in a deck, you are allowed to draw it back (you had 1 in the starting hand and got the other back). Or you drew the card you mulliganed as your fourth card, and just didn't remember correctly.

I mean I guess it's possible you're correct, but why then out of the 1,000s of hours of video streams has no one ever been able to point to it happening. And we had this discussion a while ago, and it was said it was impossible, though I guess the blue post comfirms that was the case in the beta. It's supposedly been switched now since the release, but I'll believe it when I see a video of it, not before. Blues have been wrong before, and Pagle proves that Blizzard can't get a 50% equation correct all the time as well.

Interesting blue post about reshuffling rules:

They are claiming if you mulligan 4 cards (say they are all 1-of in the deck), there's a chance to redraw them in the mulligan phase (not the first draw of the game phase). However reading to the end of the thread, a full hand mulligan of 4 cards you have 1 of in a deck of 30 should amount to a very high percentage of drawing one of those four cards back (they claimed ~37%)... yet there is still not a single video amongst thousands of hours of twitch/youtube showing this happening.

I think it's not working like the blue is claiming, but it is interesting to know that soon it will probably be fixed to let you mulligan back the exact same cards you wanted to get rid of.

What this means is when it is fixed, in order to not have dead starting hands you'll need to stack more lower cost cards in your deck, or you risk now getting back the same three 5+ cost cards you tossed away in the mulligan stage (where before if you got them in your starting hand, you'd never mulligan them and have a better chance of getting a lower cost card). So in effect, hooray for zoo warlock.

I quite literally had this happen to me not only more than once, but moments ago.

I got two of the same 5 mana card, turned em back in and got one of them back. It's definitly not the first time it has happened, but I can definitively say it is the first time I can guarantee that it wasn't one of two cards being put back in. As it was the same card.

So it's working :)

I wouldn't count on it. Each generation of iPad you go back is twice as slow as the one before, and there's only so many times you can half a machine's power and still maintain a good framerate. The game doesn't even run great on a Macbook Air (pre-retina).

The fact that there's slowdown on even a fourth generation iPad leads me to believe there's no-to-little hope for the iPad 2 / 3 getting perfectly smooth like on the iPad Air / mini retina. Perhaps they can tweak it for the 4th gen iPad, but to me it seems to much to go back to a 2nd gen iPad.
Even on iPad mini retina it isn't solid 60.

Minsc

Gold Member
I quite literally had this happen to me not only more than once, but moments ago.

I got two of the same 5 mana card, turned em back in and got one of them back. It's definitly not the first time it has happened, but I can definitively say it is the first time I can guarantee that it wasn't one of two cards being put back in. As it was the same card.

So it's working :)

Well, I guess I'll ease back a bit and give in, perhaps the change did take place. Funny it wasn't ever mentioned until now really, but I think it's good to be aware of, whichever way it occurs. So, I guess I will believe now you can get the same cards back from a mulligan after all, sorry to strongly doubt FStop7 earlier.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
And you can get mullied cards back in game right? It doesn't go to a grave when mullied right?

Mulligan cards are re-inserted into the deck and the deck "shuffled" (deck is always random) - and as such, when you re-draw, it's possible to draw a mulligan-ed card again, and even if you don't draw it, you eventually will get it if you draw up your entire deck.

Cystm

5 games in a row. Down to last health and short 1 damage.

5 games

In a row.

1 damage.

This is def one of those moments where you swear someone is behind the scenes trolling you.

5 TIMES A ROW!

lmao.

I had a pretty unfun evening playing. After the server issues I was going back into a 0-2 arena run. Salvaged a win. Got me a whole 35 dust to call my own! Then I just got copies of my commons and a rare I already had in the pack. Follow that with 4 or 5 losses and barely a win to my name as well as also trying to have fun with a weird Druid deck that did sweet fuck all and I had not a whole lot of fun. Still can't put this game outta my head though hah.

johnsmith

remember me
Just made up a quick warrior enrage deck. It's really fun to play. I'm guessing somebody already tried it and it was deemed not viable?

bigkrev

Ugh, I finally get to rank 10 after a few weeks of see-sawing back between 12 and 11, and its nothing but long warrior mirrors that come down to decking. My ipad mini crashes before most games finish!

FStop7

Banned
Well, I guess I'll ease back a bit and give in, perhaps the change did take place. Funny it wasn't ever mentioned until now really, but I think it's good to be aware of, whichever way it occurs. So, I guess I will believe now you can get the same cards back from a mulligan after all, sorry to strongly doubt FStop7 earlier.

No worries. I remember pretty distinctly because I discarded a Doomguard and got two of them back.

Minsc

Gold Member
The plot thickens...

This is why its so fun to doubt everyone who claims to get their mulligan cards back! lol (seriously though, during the beta when it was confirmed 100% you could not get back a mulligan card people swore on their grave they did, despite it never happening on video, hence the reluctance to believe it was changed).

That's the senior game designer claiming the blue post is wrong and that it will get updated to be correct... so who knows.

Ok screw Druids and their healing crap. He had 2 health left and what does he draw? A flipping healing touch which help him survive my core hounds attack and into the next turn where he played 2 chargers and killed me. Arrg! /rant

The plot thickens...

This is why its so fun to doubt everyone who claims to get their mulligan cards back! lol (seriously though, during the beta when it was confirmed 100% you could not get back a mulligan card people swore on their grave they did, despite it never happening on video, hence the reluctance to believe it was changed).

That's the senior game designer claiming the blue post is wrong and that it will get updated to be correct... so who knows.

I asked him via twitter as well and he asked "why, are you seeing this?" leading me to believe that it is not supposed to happen.

And I've never seen it happen even a single time, in game or while watching other people, so I seriously doubt you can mulligan the same card back to hand. Plus, I think zeriyah may have misunderstood the question or something, cause Zeriyah has given false answers before that ben brode had to later clear up.

Ok screw Druids and their healing crap. He had 2 health left and what does he draw? A flipping healing touch which help him survive my core hounds attack and into the next turn where he played 2 chargers and killed me. Arrg! /rant

eh. arena is random like that.

just wait until you get a paladin that plays 4 guardian of kings in a row.

johnsmith

remember me
Hit rank 5. I think I'm going to stop there to save myself some sanity and my blood pressure. There's no way I'll hit legend without playing nonstop the rest of the month anyway.

Nah, I don't care. All is far is love and warcraft. Was just curious.

Also, having zero luck with the miracles tonight. Did just have someone use a heal bot from Gelbin as a killing blow with a Auchnai Priest. Pretty clever.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Are there classes that everyone just steers clear of? Noob here.

I think rogues are pretty hard to play, myself. And while I'm not upper rank I don't think they're particularly popular in the current meta.

Warrior doesn't really get good until you get expensive cards. Avoid that one for awhile.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Would rather auto-concede than play a game of Control Priest vs Control Warrior.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think we need some kind of card that's like a backwards Knife Juggler.

Anytime an opponent plays a minion, deal 1 damage to it (or a random minion?).

I think that would both effectively reduce the power of zoo decks and prevent hunters from playing UTH while it's on the board..

old

I have definitely redrawn mulliganed legendaries. In fact just today got Jaraxxus back into my hand right after I mulliganed him.

I'm okay with that design choice. Otherwise it would massively increase the chance of opening god hands.

Chindogg

Managed to bullshit my way to rank 20 today. At least I got the Pandaria deck now. Amazing when I barely have any solid rare cards in this deck.

Bl37SVHCYAAriHL.png

zoukka

I think we need some kind of card that's like a backwards Knife Juggler.

Anytime an opponent plays a minion, deal 1 damage to it (or a random minion?).

I think that would both effectively reduce the power of zoo decks and prevent hunters from playing UTH while it's on the board..

The biggest thing about UTH is the card draw. Hyena would still benefit from the hounds as well. I'm afraid no single card can be even designed to counter hunters as they are right now. As much as I don't like nerfing good card synergies, there aren't many workarounds UTH other than nerfing it or buzzard.

Maybe making buzzard deal one damage per card draw to you would ease the situation a little bit. I know pain-draw doesn't work in HS as well as it does in other TCG games, but it would be a nerf that wouldn't change Hunter completely. It would just make Buzzard-UTH combo not 100% risk free as it is right now.

Managed to bullshit my way to rank 20 today. At least I got the Pandaria deck now. Amazing when I barely have any solid rare cards in this deck.

Bl37SVHCYAAriHL.png

Thing about HS... you have 80% of the cards that the most powerful deck in the meta plays :b

Kosma

Banned
Hit rank 5. I think I'm going to stop there to save myself some sanity and my blood pressure. There's no way I'll hit legend without playing nonstop the rest of the month anyway.

Im rank 9 now and am getting pitted against rank 6 people.

Is this how it works from here on?

Im rank 9 now and am getting pitted against rank 6 people.

Is this how it works from here on?

If the game isn't busy and those are the closest match to you skill wise it can happen.

I am at rank 9 as well but I've lost 5 in a row now, mostly to hunters. I got matched at rank 10 to a rank 7 at one point a while ago.

Minsc

Gold Member
I get the same card back all the time Minsc

They're saying it's impossible unless you have two of those cards in your deck or get it back first draw:

See here:

Zeriyah said:
The correct functionality of mulligans is as follows: You cannot get back the same card you just mulliganed. You can get back a card you mulliganed as your first draw, and you can mulligan into a second copy of a card you have in your deck, but you cannot get back the same card you just mulliganed back into your opening hand. The card you mulligan are indeed still set aside, new cards are drawn from the deck, and the mulliganed cards are shuffled back into the deck.

Though it looks like they go on to say the system has bugs, and anytime you do have a legendary or card there's 1-of back, it is a bug. Very weird bug to have, but I guess that's an explanation I can buy too. People saying that they're getting the same cards back are experiencing rare-ish bugs in the shuffling code, having it happen when it shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom