• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenden

Banned
I've never gotten a legendary in a gold purchased pack, but have gotten nearly every legendary in $200 worth of paid packs.

I know it's just bad luck, but, I've been playing since midway through the beta and it sucks.

Son1x

Ahh damn, I conceded an Arena match because I wanted to change the options. The match hasn't even started yet. -.-

Went 4-3 in the end, but could have been a lot better. Had a pretty solid hunter deck.

Minsc

Gold Member
Can someone please explain the arena/promo card thing? I played arena for the first time, and got no bonus. Was it because it was my first, "free" time?

I can't get away from using a Mage. It seems like the other decks are too weak to reliably win with, but I still haven't fully unlocked anyone else. I get blown out by shamans and hunters unless I'm using a Mage.

Fantastic game, BTW. Almost makes me wish I still played WoW.

Almost.

You may have not finished your free arena then? You need to accrue three loses before your arena is over, or win 12 games. Or you can retire early, but there's no benefit to that.

Each arena entry @ 150 gold gives back a guaranteed expert pack (valued at 100 gold). So you are only out 50 gold in the worst case scenario, if you get nothing else and lose all your games. Once you win 3-4 games you tend to get 50g back (plus the pack of cards), this is called breaking even as you put in 150g, and got back 150g between the 50g and 100g pack. Winning 7 games gets you 150 gold back (plus the pack of cards worth 100g), this is called going infinite, since you can immediately fund another arena with the winnings alone, and continue playing arenas for packs of cards forever, as long as you win 7+ games. Sometimes you can get up to around 500 gold if you're really lucky, which pays for 3 more arenas.

TheContact

One thing I noticed about ipad version is it seems to play well under 60fps, PC is more fluid, even compared to ipad air. I still enjoy playing it on ipad way more than on PC though

Bizazedo

I've never gotten a legendary in a gold purchased pack, but have gotten nearly every legendary in $200 worth of paid packs.

I know it's just bad luck, but, I've been playing since midway through the beta and it sucks.

I got a legendary last night, blew 300 gold on three packs. Cairne. Had him already, so immediately dusted, but it does happen!

Been a month+ since I've gotten a pack, though, Diablo style safety net?!!

:).

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Playing anything other than Hunter, Warlock and Druid is soul destroying

Cheech

You may have not finished your free arena then? You need to accrue three loses before your arena is over, or win 12 games. Or you can retire early, but there's no benefit to that. ... Sometimes you can get up to around 500 gold if you're really lucky, which pays for 3 more arenas.

Thanks a ton for the explanation. I've avoided the arena because it sounded like a poor value compared to simply spending gold on packs, but it sounds pretty compelling.

inky

Yup, I'm really looking forward to see if Bliz can keep pumping out content consistently. Not sure how long more casual players will keep playing if they continue their policy of "it's done when it's done."

I suspect it will spike with new content and slowly fall down until the next release. The reason I think this is that Blizzard doesn't seem like the kind of dev that can commit to a constant schedule of upgrades and improvements, and is certainly not like other F2P devs that pretty much have weekly additions or things like seasonal events every other week.

It is both a pro and a con in my opinion, and one of the reasons I dislike their online only policies. This game is fine with that at least, so I will not hold it against them in this case.

Playing anything other than Hunter, Warlock and Druid is soul destroying

I have a lot of fun with my Druid (not token) and Shaman, but if I'm lucky I'm getting a 55-60% win rate with both past rank 10 where pretty much everyone plays the same thing.

soldat7

One thing I noticed about ipad version is it seems to play well under 60fps, PC is more fluid, even compared to ipad air. I still enjoy playing it on ipad way more than on PC though

I'd much rather play this on my laptop. Having to hold a finger down on the screen to zoom a card is silly because, well, now your hand is in the way. Nothing a simple patch couldn't fix though (lol)

soldat7

There really is no reason to spend real money if you are a hardcore gamer that likes to grind games like diablo. I have only spent money for one arena to get the promo card and have been infinite arena runs since. Sometimes I reach over 1k gold and just splooge it on packs.

Every 1600 dust you get one legendary in addition to the RNG ones. Really satisfying progress system imo.

But the time investment here...how many hours per day does your approach require?

Minsc

Gold Member
Thanks a ton for the explanation. I've avoided the arena because it sounded like a poor value compared to simply spending gold on packs, but it sounds pretty compelling.

If you are going to arena again, you can also download the tool from arenavalue.com to help you draft. While you can't listen to it methodically, it does help you see certain cards in a different light if you aren't very familiar with what cards are strongest, and it will weigh you choices against what you have drafted so if you are missing 5-drops or 3-drops, it will value them higher, as generally playing a drop on right on key (4-drop turn 4, 5-drop turn 5, etc) is all one has to do to win.

arenavalue doesn't make you win, but it doesn't hurt imo. Especially if you're not floating 1,000s of gold, where a poor run or two wouldn't even be noticed.

But the time investment here...how many hours per day does your approach require?

Arena is a funny thing. It works best at minimal hours per day and many hours per day. Minimal hours per day because you get to run infinite arenas simply due to the fact that you can't exhaust your gold fast enough. And then once you've mastered arena and can average 5+, many hours a day will let you fill out your library.

If you're just looking to play 3-4 games per day (that's like a 40 minute investment), a single arena can last you 3 days (playing out a 7-3 run, 10 games @ 4 games per day, would be 2.5 days). If you pick away your dailies while playing arena (get the ones that are not tied to specific classes), you can infinite arenas very easily, even with a bad ratio of 3-3 or so.

In Arena, I'm Mage (sorry!) against Shaman. I'm going second.

His turn 1: Plays Dust Devil.
My turn 1: Coin, Fireblast the Dust Devil. My opponent promptly "Oops'd".

Poor guy. Mages are dirty and I feel dirty.

Aylinato

Just started playing this today, man it's addictive...

Yes, I love playing the arena. Try it out

In Arena, I'm Mage (sorry!) against Shaman. I'm going second.

His turn 1: Plays Dust Devil.
My turn 1: Coin, Fireblast the Dust Devil. My opponent promptly "Oops'd".

Poor guy. Mages are dirty and I feel dirty.

Lol. Don't. Dust devil shouldn't be played against a Mage turn 1 lol

TomServo

I think I know the answer to this, but...

As someone playing casually, there's nothing to lose by DE'ing complex cards to craft basic cards in a fairly empty deck, right?

I got a gold Angry Chicken last night. I read some ways to make it a pretty effective card, but it feels like I'd be better off trading it for one of the countless rares that would stand on its own.

I hit rank 9 the other day and all I see now are hunters, beast that gains life when a beast dies, buzzards and hounds. That's it all the time every time. If I get a shit draw there is no way I can beat it, if I change decks to counter it all of sudden im not playing hunters any more, change back to normal deck start playing hunters again.

Sliding back down the ranks now.

Rockyrock

As someone playing casually, there's nothing to lose by DE'ing complex cards to craft basic cards in a fairly empty deck, right?

I got a gold Angry Chicken last night. I read some ways to make it a pretty effective card, but it feels like I'd be better off trading it for one of the countless rares that would stand on its own.

in almost two months of playing i've seen that card used approximately 1 time.

Triz

yes, but gold chickens!
Ive never used the angry chicken card dust that thing.

bigkrev

Crafted Grommash Hellscream yesterday, and I'm shocked at how much better it's making my warrior deck. It gives you a 4th haste attack (after 2 Firey Axes and 1 Gorehowl), and combos with Whirlwind and Taskmaster to function as a Pyroblast out of nowhere.

Crisco

Banned
Starting to think that this game is Blizzard's gateway drug to WoW 2. It's been over a decade since Blizzard's last non-MMO Warcraft game and you've lost a generation of older Warcraft fans who really don't have the time for MMOs/gaming anymore. Hearthstone will create a whole new pool of Warcraft fans who will love to jump into a new WoW MMO that brings all these cool cards to life.

i might be crazy, but i have more fun losing than winning, well close game wins are the best, but a legit GG is more fun than an overwhelming victory, especially if its a deck im not familiar against.

bigkrev

Starting to think that this game is Blizzard's gateway drug to WoW 2. It's been over a decade since Blizzard's last non-MMO Warcraft game and you've lost a generation of older Warcraft fans who really don't have the time for MMOs/gaming anymore. Hearthstone will create a whole new pool of Warcraft fans who will love to jump into a new WoW MMO that brings all these cool cards to life.

Unless that MMO is also on iPad, I don't really know. Asking someone to try out a hot, new game by a AAA developer for free on iPad is a lot easier than asking them to turn their PC on and install dozens of gigs of data for an MMO. I've spent over 100 dollars over the last 6 months on Hearthstone, and I can tell you there is a zero percent chance of me playing an MMO due to the fact that I hate the genera.

Bizazedo

Control Warrior deck lost to my Control Warrior deck last night due to Baron Geddon.

He played Geddon when I had Sylvanas out. We each only had one minion. So I shield slammed Sylvanas to steal Geddon and he had to Gorehowl (and take, technically, 9 damage) to get rid of Geddon. That alone sealed the deal since after that the initiative was on my side (he used most of his mana for Gorehowl so he had to react the rest of the night).

Climbed to rank 11 before I hit the Hunter army. Crafting Geddon tonight due to suggestions here since I do see how he could be very useful.

I downloaded this for my ipad just last night and I have to say this game really has been the most fun I've had with a blizzard game in a long while. Easy quick to pick up game with just enough depth. Kudos to Blizz.

SteveWD40

Unless that MMO is also on iPad, I don't really know. Asking someone to try out a hot, new game by a AAA developer for free on iPad is a lot easier than asking them to turn their PC on and install dozens of gigs of data for an MMO. I've spent over 100 dollars over the last 6 months on Hearthstone, and I can tell you there is a zero percent chance of me playing an MMO due to the fact that I hate the genera.

I actually think Heroes of the Storm would work on recent iPad's, maybe scaled down a little.

bigkrev

It's just too much effort to get it working, and if you want to put effort in, why not just use Amani Berserker, a common, which is basically 1 more mana for an actual relevant body (2/3)?
Plus, the work isn't worth it most of the time. If Hungry Crab is actually useful in a game, it's a complete blowout, but Angry Chicken just doesn't provide that.

TomServo

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've been trying to avoid DE'ing anything, since I'm still playing through the get-everyone-to-level-10 game, and I'm not sure which deck I'd like to focus on building.

Another question... Once I've got all the basic decks done, is that the best time to dump some money in the game? Seems like $20 for a good amount of rare cards would have the most impact when I'm just starting out, as opposed to later on.

Sorry for the basic questions, I've never played a TCG but I've really enjoyed this on my iPad.

depths20XX

Another question... Once I've got all the basic decks done, is that the best time to dump some money in the game? Seems like $20 for a good amount of rare cards would have the most impact when I'm just starting out, as opposed to later on.

Sorry for the basic questions, I've never played a TCG but I've really enjoyed this on my iPad.

Yes, I'd say early on, once you've put 5-10 hours into the game and realize you're enjoying it, is the best time to spend some money on packs. Later down the line when you've already opened a ton of packs you start getting diminishing returns and you'll mostly just be getting a bit of dust.

Terra

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've been trying to avoid DE'ing anything, since I'm still playing through the get-everyone-to-level-10 game, and I'm not sure which deck I'd like to focus on building.

Same here. I am also totally new to this kind of game. Got into it from the promotion in Diablo 3 and I decided to try it out on my iPad.
Perfect iPad game. I have put into about 3 hours now, that's more than I've ever played an iPad game :).

TomServo

Yes, I'd say early on, once you've put 5-10 hours into the game and realize you're enjoying it, is the best time to spend some money on packs. Later down the line when you've already opened a ton of packs you start getting diminishing returns and you'll mostly just be getting a bit of dust.

Diminishing returns is exactly what I was thinking.

I've just been doing daily quests since the iPad releas. I did manage to beat all of the expert AI, which was pretty eye opening regarding what the classes can do; that certainly translated into better ranked play.

I think right now, with the dailies being class-specific that the most important thing is to get all of the basic decks open. I've been lucky so far to get the dailies done with the three basic decks I've completed.

codecow

If you want to get better at the game you really should not buy packs. If you buy arena plays then you're learning the game and the cards while getting packs. If you watch enough good players on twitch.tv and use sites like arenavalue.com to help with your draft you will improve your play while getting your cards.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Man. I have a great Pally Arena deck.

But this Warrior had me by the balls. Used his hand for some big combos that I fought off, but was basically out of health, no board presence, and he had a Blood Knight who was 6/2 (off of his divine crusader, which I had consecrated), and then topdecked Baron Geddon. So he had 13 on the board and a 1/3 weapon, and I had 8 health.

Ruh-roh.

I had guardian of kings, which might've bought me a turn, but wasn't really going to improve the situation. I also had Avenging Wrath, but without killing Baron, it wouldn't matter, and if it left theblood knight, I'd be hosed too.

But it was my only option, so I played it:

5 to Baron
2 to blood knight
1 to the face.

board cleared.

he got me down to 1 HP again, and I drew my True Silver and got back to five and had huge card advantage and then kept the board clear.

Crazy game, I felt bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom