• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leatherface

you have a hidden rating that is used for matchmaking and the cards you own have nothing to do with it.

and you almost certainly suck. we all did when we first started. you can't really pay to win in this game.

It's a card game with depth and you just started. You will need to learn the game/cards to be successful.

/agree

Though there were some truly nasty cards/combos that were used against me relatively early in the game that had me wondering where my opponents were getting all the mana from to play them. I do think some of it is my inexperience with the game, though it certainly does help to have those sweet sweet rare cards. I feel like there should be a mode exclusive to people using basic decks. There is obviously a clear advantage with someone using powerful cards even if your skill levels are similar.

Mugaaz

/agree

Though there were some truly nasty cards/combos that were used against me relatively early in the game that had me wondering where my opponents were getting all the mana from to play them. I do think some of it is my inexperience with the game, though it certainly does help to have those sweet sweet rare cards. I feel like there should be a mode exclusive to people using basic decks. There is obviously a clear advantage with someone using powerful cards even if your skill levels are similar.

Maybe they should give the cards away for free while they are at it.

scy

I should say - the basic, pre-built deck you get when you first unlock a class. I've been trying and I can't do it. Using a "good" deck like Zoo I can walk all over Expert AI, but I feel like I should be able to do it using the stock, basic decks for each class.

That's how I beat them all originally. Unless the AI has been vastly improved, it really shouldn't be all that problematic.

depths20XX

/agree

Just play arena if you want a mode where everyone is on the same level.

Leatherface

Maybe they should give the cards away for free while they are at it.

That was a little douchy...

I like building custom decks and using them and will most likely buy as well because I enjoy the game quite a bit, but I also like the idea of having a controlled environment where players use predetermined decks to battle each other. Kind of a stripped down, even playing field where the choices made are more important than which uber cards you have.

Celegus

Watch streamers on Twitch (or Youtube VODs) play Arena and learn from them. I basically learned everything I know from Hafu and Trump.

Hmm... streamers and watching people play games is pretty much the opposite of fun to me. I just want to play the game myself! To this day I don't understand the appeal. I'll just keep mucking about on my own.

orly? I didn't notice this mode. Maybe this is exactly what I was looking for? Thanks!

Arena doesn't unlock until you've unlocked all of the characters. I don't know how far you've gotten, but that may be why you haven't seen it. Also, it costs 150g to play arena, but your first entry is free. Even then, Arena isn't really what you're looking for. It's a mode where you're offered 3 different cards at a time and you pick one until you have a full deck. The cards offered are random, so you'll wind up with a very different deck every time you play.

TP17

I like to switch between arena and ranked, liking both at the moment. Up to rank 15 and haven't reached a point where having less cards and/or not a 'top' ranked deck seems to be a problem.

Got my fourth legendary today. Bad thing, its illidan. Any suggestions if its any good in a deck? 7/5 for 6 mana seems pretty bad to me, since you have to play a lot of stuff afterwards to use his special ability

johnsmith

remember me
Got my fourth legendary today. Bad thing, its illidan. Any suggestions if its any good in a deck? 7/5 for 6 mana seems pretty bad to me, since you have to play a lot of stuff afterwards to use his special ability
He's bad. At 5 health he dies instantly. I've never seen him in constructed and he dies in arena before you even get a chance to get a proc.

ShinNL

He can be really cool in a token Druid deck though. Illidan, Innervate, Power of the Wild. That's 8/6, 3/2, 3/2 on Turn 6. If you have a Violet Teacher alive it's pretty much GG right there :p

Mugaaz

That was a little douchy...

I like building custom decks and using them and will most likely buy as well because I enjoy the game quite a bit, but I also like the idea of having a controlled environment where players use predetermined decks to battle each other. Kind of a stripped down, even playing field where the choices made are more important than which uber cards you have.

Blizzard likes the idea of making money. Asking them for a mode that by default makes them absolutely zero money, and in fact forever lessens the future profits of the game is just insanity. Where does this sense of entitlement come from? The playing field is already even, you're just not at the point where it's even yet, due to you not owning any cards, due to not spending much time and/or money on the game. This game is a commercial endeavor, the game is free to play because they think this will result in you buying more packs. The rate they are releasing cards is so slow that anyone who plays the game regularly can keep up without spending a dime if they want. There is literally no other good TCG on planet Earth where you can own all the cards without spending one red cent.

/agree

Are you implying you think there is a way to spend money and get more mana? Are you looking at the mana cost of the cards being used? Example: Rogues and Shamans both have lots of cheap cards. Rogue's backstab is 0 mana, Shiv costs 1, and so on. Shamans have lots of cards that have a cheap initial cost, but then cause the Shaman to have less mana available for the next turn.

Leatherface

Blizzard likes the idea of making money. Asking them for a mode that by default makes them absolutely zero money, and in fact forever lessens the future profits of the game is just insanity. Where does this sense of entitlement come from? The playing field is already even, you're just not at the point where it's even yet, due to you not owning any cards, due to not spending much time and/or money on the game. This game is a commercial endeavor, the game is free to play because they think this will result in you buying more packs. The rate they are releasing cards is so slow that anyone who plays the game regularly can keep up without spending a dime if they want. There is literally no other good TCG on planet Earth where you can own all the cards without spending one red cent.

The value and money made can be wrapped into other modes. What I am asking is not game breaking. For example, the option can be available for any character that you've unlocked a full basic set to. Where you can take that full deck and character and have practice or ranked matches against other players who have also unlocked the full basic decks to their characters. Anyway, the people buying decks will be the ones who enjoy the game enough to keep playing anyhow. They will be the ones playing all the modes and investing into the experience. I don't see how offering the option I mentioned will make people abandon the rest of the game. /shrug

Hmm... streamers and watching people play games is pretty much the opposite of fun to me. I just want to play the game myself! To this day I don't understand the appeal. I'll just keep mucking about on my own.

The appeal is learning. If you want to be good at any head to head game you need to spend time learning. Everyone else is doing it, you only put yourself at a disadvantage by not joining in the collective discourse.

I think a lot of new players are not used to 1v1 PvP games like this or fighting games. I'm not pointing at anyone specifically but I notice a lot of similar sentiments when people unfamiliar with fighting games complain about how they're not able to get into them or why the genre needs to be changed. There is a lot of personal reflection that comes from not being able to blame a team or your prestige rank for why you lost.

scy

The value and money made can be wrapped into other modes. What I am asking is not game breaking. For example, the option can be available for any character that you've unlocked a full basic set to. Where you can take that full deck and character and have practice or ranked matches against other players who have also unlocked the full basic decks to their characters. Anyway, the people buying decks will be the ones who enjoy the game enough to keep playing anyhow. They will be the ones playing all the modes and investing into the experience. I don't see how offering the option I mentioned will make people abandon the rest of the game. /shrug

The issue I still have with these stances is that it seems to be based on the idea that you absolutely cannot be competitive at all with basic cards. Which is untrue. It's possible to make it all the way to Legendary without them. You're limited in your options, sure, but, you don't NEED everything in order to be competitive. Knowing the game still matters a tremendous amount.

You can't just straight up buy decks. You can buy packs and get a chance at finding a card you may want. Most people just play and keep playing, using the gold they make to run arena or buy packs. If they get the specific cards they want they're good, otherwise they can break down the cards they don't want and use the materials to craft the ones they do. It's a very fair system. The decks people talk about are usually specific combinations of cards pros or streamers create based on the current metagame. Some of them are very very cheap in terms of crafting materials to make and can be made by anyone with minimal effort.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/44220-kolentos-rank-1-na-eu-hunter-deck

Anyone can make this even if they can't win. The game is meant to be balanced so all cards are viable. Trump (a well known streamer) often starts new accounts and climbs up the ranks using only the most basic cards everyone receives at the start while using the gold he makes to craft what he thinks he needs.

So I managed to pull a Hogger out of one of my packs. Is he worth using at all?

Seems kind of...middling for being a legendary. The ability to summon taunt minions is nice but it makes Hogger a priority target and only having 4 health means he goes down pretty quickly.

For the 6 mana cost it just seems like there's better options. I don't know though, maybe I'm wrong. Has anyone else found some success with Hogger in their deck?

Card Boy

Banned

Seems kind of...middling for being a legendary. The ability to summon taunt minions is nice but it makes Hogger a priority target and only having 4 health means he goes down pretty quickly.

For the 6 mana cost it just seems like there's better options. I don't know though, maybe I'm wrong. Has anyone else found some success with Hogger in their deck?

Better than my Gruul.

FStop7

Banned
The two most dominant decks in the game (Zoolock and various forms of Hunter) are often run with zero or maybe 1 legendary card. Hunter sometimes uses Leeroy.

johnsmith

remember me

He's bad. He's a silver hand knight that costs 1 more mana, because you'll never more than 1 minion out if him.

He's bad. He's a silver hand knight that costs 1 more mana, because you'll never more than 1 minion out if him.

That isn't true. I've used hogger often. Hogger is an underrated card. Bad if you drop him alone against a class that has the removal to take him out. But alongside another threat and perhaps an additional layer of security to protect him, you get great value out of him.

Even the taunt he summons alone makes him far better than silver hand knight.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Threw this deck together today;
bh1Zram.png
Can a deck like this be viable in constructed?
Note; replacing Murloc Raider x2 and Mortal Coil x2 with another Coldlight Seer, 2x Coldlight Oracle and a Blood Imp. Probably switch Young Priestess for Blood Imp too.

Card Boy

Banned
Silence, Big Game Hunter, or Deadly Shot/Assassinate/Polymorph/Hex. Not really starved for options.

I don't buff minions on the turn i play them just in case they get wiped. If i got a Boulderfist Ogre or Lightspawn i wait a turn before doing the deed then go maximum damage to the face.

Double the HP (or double again), and use Inner Fire. (if its not a light spawn)

inky

Game is kind of unplayable for me atm. Too many time outs and DCs. Haven't lost to one yet, but I'm not going to wait until I do.

I2amza

The Hearthstone gods just blessed me today. I just finished building my pally arena deck which included Cairne, Yserra, Onyxia, and Tyrion.

I feel so dirty even before playing my first game.

Rank 15 took quite a bit to get past.. but cruised my way to rank 11 now.

Having a ton of fun with my warrior rush deck, tho I'm not quite sure where I found it from now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom