• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more and more i play arena over constructed the more fun i actually find myself having with this game again. Once i got a good understanding of how to draft better, arena is just hands down more fun for me.

Same here. I figured this out a few months ago actually. I get more excited seeing my draft options than I do opening packs considering how little I play Constructed.

Minsc

Gold Member
Anyone figure out the solution to Shaman vs Hunter yet?

This is my current Shaman deck, it does ok against Hunter.

Has a very strong board presence (in the sense what goes on the board is mine not yours), and is very punishing for not removing on the Hunter's part, and an early UTH to do so usually won't kill me. Generally I see hunter as a close match, not a hopeless battle. I think that's the best you can hope for. I try to rush down a Hunter's HP as quick as I can, even if it means having 3 creatures on the board (I generally go for 2 + any number of taunts I can get though). If I can get to lethal by turn 6 or 7 (by doing ~4+ a turn), or if they use their UTH to prevent me from reaching it first, instead of for killing me, I've succeeded.

Minsc

Gold Member
Turn 2: Coin, Unbound Elemental
Turn 3: Spirit Wolves

That works, but I am equally fine with going first and starting with turn 1: leper gnome or argent squire, turn 2: FTT w/ 3-4 damage to the face, and increasing every turn after. If they address my board instead of using their hero power, that is an extra turn they allow me to reach lethal before I'm dead.

I've been burnt too much lately by drawing Unbound Elemental late game where its a dead draw that I've backed away from running two of them.

The problem is if you spend your first two turns doing nothing but summoning a totem; you'll probably never win as you're then probably not even attacking them until turn 4, at which point they probably are half-way to their end game.

KeRaSh

Has anyone considered running Aboms in their Shaman deck to stop rushdown?
Alesh (from the recent TakeTV tournament) has them in his Shaman deck and it actually worked quite well fro me.
It's vulnerable to silence but that could be said for almost anything...

CoolOff

The dream:

http://i.imgur.com/pU9jCwA.jpg

kreygasm.png

Celegus

The more and more i play arena over constructed the more fun i actually find myself having with this game again. Once i got a good understanding of how to draft better, arena is just hands down more fun for me.

Any tips in particular? I think I'm still pretty bad at drafting arena decks, things never seem to work out very well. Getting better for sure though.

KeRaSh

Any tips in particular? I think I'm still pretty bad at drafting arena decks, things never seem to work out very well. Getting better for sure though.

Watch streamers on Twitch (or Youtube VODs) play Arena and learn from them. I basically learned everything I know from Hafu and Trump.

gdt

I'm interested in this.

Any idea on a iPhone release? Also, are there cross saves between platforms? That would be amazing on PC to iOS.

ZZMitch

That means you are either extremely lucky or you haven't played enough matches.
A few days ago Hafu discussed this with Amaz on stream. Hafu played over 500 arena runs post 12 wins patch and even she gets some unlucky drafts where she goes 1/3.

I haven't played too much. I only have 90something arena wins so i have probably only played 15-20 times? I may have had a few times going 2/3 now that I think about it actually.

scy

Anyone figure out the solution to Shaman vs Hunter yet?

Easiest solution is playing a class with a better match-up. That said, they're better vs the new flavor of Hunter than the old style simply by virtue of them being more midrange focused. Still, it's not that great of a match-up and just comes down to sticking your burst faster than them.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
midrange hunter is so dirty.

Just played a Druid who was total anti aggro, Sunfuries, Defender of Arguses, senjin etc. Innervated an early Black Knight to kill my 4/4 hippo companion. still didn't matter. double buzzarded a UTH, drew almost my whole deck (he couldn't remove the 2nd buzzard... causing me to even accidentally burn my second UTH as an 11th card draw). then houndmastered a savannah highmane which cut him off and ensured no ironbark protector could save him, before finishing him with Leeroy.

just filthy. And I still had 2 kill commands, a timber wolf, hunter's mark and a scavenging hyena in hand.

I taught someone who was struggling as a relatively new player Kolento's deck on hearthpwn. He was making so many mistakes and could still pull off a win with the insane card draw. What have I done...?

Buzzard is the problem moreso than UTH. UTH is ridiculous too, but that bird is the reason. Raise the cost of both cards imo.

I taught someone who was struggling as a relatively new player Kolento's deck on hearthpwn. He was making so many mistakes and could still pull off a win with the insane card draw. What have I done...?

Buzzard is the problem moreso than UTH. UTH is ridiculous too, but that bird is the reason. Raise the cost of both cards imo.

I'd settle for UTH summoning 2-3 doges (make it a 50/50 chance for 2 or 3 and have it not matter what minions the opponent has on the board) and Buzzard to only 2 card draws per turn or something. Provides the RNG that Blizzard loves, limits the amount of cards that can be drawn on a given turn, and gives opponents no reason to fear playing more than 2 minions.

Bizazedo

I'd settle for UTH summoning 2-3 doges (make it a 50/50 chance for 2 or 3 and have it not matter what minions the opponent has on the board) and Buzzard to only 2 card draws per turn or something. Provides the RNG that Blizzard loves, limits the amount of cards that can be drawn on a given turn, and gives opponents no reason to fear playing more than 2 minions.

Not a fan of the nerf to the Buzzard in your suggestion. Part of the fun of the game is to set up crazy situations, like when your armorsmith gives you like 5 armor or you manage a 5 card draw with a Gadgetzan Auctioneer or max out the 4/2 whose name I always forget as I don't use it that draws when a friendly minion dies.

I know I harped on it yesterday, but is it really UTH that kills or is it other forms of DD like Kill Command or the constant pressure of a 2 damage hero power?

FStop7

Banned
I am trying a F2P Hunter on EU. Not using any one deck as a reference, just based off of the obvious stuff and what I've seen work for others. I want to see how far I can go given my medium skill level. I used achievement gold to buy packs and got a couple of good ones that I DE'd to make 2x UTH, 1x Eaglethorn Bow and 1x Hyena.

jDVZeL2xBk21A.png

scy

Not a fan of the nerf to the Buzzard in your suggestion. Part of the fun of the game is to set up crazy situations, like when your armorsmith gives you like 5 armor or you manage a 5 card draw with a Gadgetzan Auctioneer or max out the 4/2 whose name I always forget as I don't use it that draws when a friendly minion dies.

I know I harped on it yesterday, but is it really UTH that kills or is it other forms of DD like Kill Command or the constant pressure of a 2 damage hero power?

The Hero Power is what really helps this style work. It means that they always have damage on you and will inevitably close the game out. This is a bigger issue in a game where the attacker is advantaged to begin with and there's so much from hand burst.

It's really a combination of a lot of factors.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Nothing like a miracle rouge wasting 10 minutes of your life drawing cards

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You'll watch me draw my cards and you'll like it.

Ashodin

I have a sick rogue arena deck I'm running the dream with so far. 4-1, and that loss only came after the four wins. Has Thalnos, Rag, and a shitload of evil cards

Leatherface

Playing this on the iPad right now. Fun as hell game but damn am I getting spanked. I tried making a custom deck and I got spanked 10 times harder. :'(

Question: If I'm not using custom decks will the game pair me with people that are? I feel a strong "pay to win" vibe going on with some of these ridiculous abilities getting thrown at me. Or maybe I just suck? Could be a combo of both. haha

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fine, then you can watch me take the maximum amount of time i need each turn even if its turn 1

Mutually Assured Time Wasting.

Look, it's not my fault Blizzard makes me take forever to draw cards. If the client was as fast as Magic, I could go through my most complex turns in 10 seconds.

Sickbean

Playing this on the iPad right now. Fun as hell game but damn am I getting spanked. I tried making a custom deck and I got spanked 10 times harder. :'(

Question: If I'm not using custom decks will the game pair me with people that are? I feel a strong "pay to win" vibe going on with some of these ridiculous abilities getting thrown at me. Or maybe I just suck? Could be a combo of both. haha

I feel your pain. I'm 0-4 so far in games against humans :/

you have a hidden rating that is used for matchmaking and the cards you own have nothing to do with it.

and you almost certainly suck. we all did when we first started. you can't really pay to win in this game.

JesseZao

It's a card game with depth and you just started. You will need to learn the game/cards to be successful.

kirblar

Constructed just straight up doesn't have enough variety in gameplay.

FStop7

Banned
Basic cards? Definitely.

Basic/pre-built decks? Maybe not.

I should say - the basic, pre-built deck you get when you first unlock a class. I've been trying and I can't do it. Using a "good" deck like Zoo I can walk all over Expert AI, but I feel like I should be able to do it using the stock, basic decks for each class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom