• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threw this deck together today;

Can a deck like this be viable in constructed?
Note; replacing Murloc Raider x2 and Mortal Coil x2 with another Coldlight Seer, 2x Coldlight Oracle and a Blood Imp. Probably switch Young Priestess for Blood Imp too.

I would throw out the summoning portals as well. All those minions are so cheap they're practically free anyway. You can only reduce the cost to one, even with both of them out. And the game is either going to be won or lost long before you can put out the summoning portals and actually play minions in the same turn.

Dreavus

I haven't seen a snipe in ages. Somebody should make a deck with snipe, shake trap, and gladiators Longbow.

Is snake trap not used in constructed? I have a single snake trap in my hunter deck and it's great.

It works very well with Buzzard, especially if they think it's a flame trap and are trying to clear minions. 3 cards for free along with the snakes makes it almost at UTH tier when you think about the card draw. Although, it obviously activates on their turn so they are free to react further before you get to do anything with the snakes.

EDIT: I suppose with no Buzzard it's not really that good, but similar things could be said of UTH in a lot of cases.

EDIT2: wrong quote

Well, this was another fun thing to do but pointless.

Combo'd a Warsong Commander with a Violet Teacher. Plan was to put out a Teacher, then next turn throw out a Commander, cast a few spells, then a Raid Leader if possible. Only problem is keeping the Teacher out unhindered. Would be even better if it was possible to get both a Commander and Teacher out at the same time for even more mana fun, but it's rough.

Good news is that it works very with Commanding Shout and Whirl Wind, lol.

anyone with a hunter deck (I won't judge) want to help me practice the shaman vs hunter matchup? I think all but 1 of my losses over the last week have been to hunters, and it's very frustrating.

Q8D3vil

Shaman is definitely my best arena class, its like combining the power of paladin weapons and mages aoe clear and hard removal.
Had 3 12-x runs with shaman this season.

Mutombo

Tried the game out for the first time for a couple of rounds. Was quite doing all right as a mage. Then as soon as I tried out Druid I got my ass handed to me. Actually, that goes for Paladin as well.

It feels as if the other players have better cards, which might be since I still have 8 more cards to go before I've got all 20 basic character cards.

But it probably has more to do with me sucking.

Any tips for starting out?

Tried the game out for the first time for a couple of rounds. Was quite doing all right as a mage. Then as soon as I tried out Druid I got my ass handed to me. Actually, that goes for Paladin as well.

It feels as if the other players have better cards, which might be since I still have 8 more cards to go before I've got all 20 basic character cards.

But it probably has more to do with me sucking.

Any tips for starting out?

Play against the cpu till you have all the cards. If you are going in against Non ranked, there are people will a silly amount of cards running around, so you will probably get stomped.

Build up some gold leveling all the classes to 10, and get some packs or run areana for awhile :)

Got to rank 15, best I've done since beta months ago.

I don't play much ranked usually but I made a sweet Warlock deck and having tons of fun with it. 65% of the time I win by turn 6 or 7 and the other 35% I get awful draws and get wrecked.

Will try and post the deck later when I'm at home

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I would throw out the summoning portals as well. All those minions are so cheap they're practically free anyway. You can only reduce the cost to one, even with both of them out. And the game is either going to be won or lost long before you can put out the summoning portals and actually play minions in the same turn.
Summoning portal = garbage
I disagree. Yes, it is very situational and most of the time doesn't do very much, but if it isn't dealt with by the opponent they will pay for it. I've done 4 mana > Summoning Portal, 5 mana > Tidecaller (8/4) + Warleader (5/4) + Warleader (5/4) + Murk-Eye (9/6 charge) a couple of times now. That's devastating and very hard to deal with. If SP is dealt with it has still pretty much served as a taunt.
Keep coil, but take out raider. Leave out the oracles, they harm you more than they help. Blood imps also run counter to what you want to do (kill fast), and since their nerf they haven't been really great as AoE protection.

http://www.liquidhearth.com/staff/mo...ns_Murlocs.jpg
http://www.liquidhearth.com/staff/mo...ro_Warlock.jpg
Why keep Coil? I run into very few 1-health drops and when I do I don't have Coil. Wouldn't Soulfire be a better alternative for dealing with Taunts (although the discard might be very problematic)? And yes, the Coldlight Oracles are a risk, but with Summoning Portal out they're 1 mana and will pretty much draw out two more 1 mana minions for me or Murk-Eye, so it can also be very beneficial if played right.

Alternatively, I could put some Hungry Crab in there for when a Murloc has outlived its usefulnesses (Due to Power Overwhelming / being near death or being one of the Murloc Scouts summoned by Tidehunter) or go more offensive and go for the Flame Imps. Or Sunfury Protector for more cheap taunts.

ultron87

I think Acolyte of Pain is my favorite card at the moment. It is entirely possible I just like manufacturing scenarios to make it work, of course. But if you draw at least 2 off it it really feels great.

Sickbean

This is the sort of game that I really want to put some time into and get good at (because I'm really not). Have never played a card collecting game before, so I'm just a bit behind the learning curve.

Is there a class/card combination that's considered better/worse for beginners? Or is it just a case of play lots to get better?

So I feel pretty bad for this priest. I had both Mana Addicts out and stealthed and he had a Crazed Firedude out on the board. I knew a Holy Nova would clear out my board but I wanted to take the risk and I still had Leeroy coming out. He also had a Light Well out.

Anyway, he threw out two spells to buff his Light Well, then he Pain'd his Fire Dude. I thought it would of worked and cleared my board, but it killed his guy before the fire went out. I feel bad because I would of guessed that it should of worked in his favor as well.

Anyone else planning to create an extra B.net account to get the Fireside card back? It's going to be available tomorrow, and only requires 3 accounts to be logged into Hearthstone on the same network.

Between my desktop, iPad and laptop, using my account, my wife's account and a new "fake" account, we should both be able to get the new card back tomorrow!

1796799_680681325307972_398610348_o.jpg

mjc

This is the sort of game that I really want to put some time into and get good at (because I'm really not). Have never played a card collecting game before, so I'm just a bit behind the learning curve.

Is there a class/card combination that's considered better/worse for beginners? Or is it just a case of play lots to get better?

Practice, practice, practice. As you play you'll discover what cards work best for your style. Always look for the best value in constructing a deck. (Example: A good 4 mana minion to play is the Chillwind Yeti. 4/5 is great at that cost)

Blizzard really needs to lower the number of stars needed to level up. The amount of hours of play needed to reach Legend is unreasonable. Even pro players need to play hours every day for many days.

Legend isn't about skill, it's about how much free time you've got.

Just had three players in a row quit with around half of their health because of my hunter deck. They couldn't play much or attack much due to my secrets and I had already released the hounds by turn seven.

Game has been my addiction the last three days. Didn't think I would be this addicted.

soldat7

Just had three players in a row quit with around half of their health because of my hunter deck. They couldn't play much or attack much due to my secrets and I had already released the hounds by turn seven.

Game has been my addiction the last three days. Didn't think I would be this addicted.

I keep running into your types. I don't quit though (but I mostly lose).

Anyone else planning to create an extra B.net account to get the Fireside card back? It's going to be available tomorrow, and only requires 3 accounts to be logged into Hearthstone on the same network.

Between my desktop, iPad and laptop, using my account, my wife's account and a new "fake" account, we should both be able to get the new card back tomorrow!

Ooh, great idea. Anyway to easily kill bnet accounts afterwards?

Minsc

Gold Member
Blizzard really needs to lower the number of stars needed to level up. The amount of hours of play needed to reach Legend is unreasonable. Even pro players need to play hours every day for many days.

It can't be too unreasonable if people get to it on the first day of the PVP season, can it?

I guess if you're losing games it takes much longer than if you're winning all your games, so luck will play a big factor, along with the style of deck, playing aggro will be faster than control.

I think giving 15 gold instead of 10 gold for three wins is much more important than buffing the ranking system.

I'd rather see a first win of the day reward of 10 gold. That would encourage daily brief play alongside daily quests. I think the 3 win reward is fine. 30 wins to max out to 100g limit vs. 18. (I've never hit the limit anyway)
That's a good idea too. We need more incentive to play every day after completing the quests.

JesseZao

I think giving 15 gold instead of 10 gold for three wins is much more important than buffing the ranking system.

I'd rather see a first win of the day reward of 10 gold. That would encourage daily brief play alongside daily quests. I think the 3 win reward is fine. 30 wins to max out to 100g limit vs. 18. (I've never hit the limit anyway)

TomServo

Play against the cpu till you have all the cards. If you are going in against Non ranked, there are people will a silly amount of cards running around, so you will probably get stomped.

Build up some gold leveling all the classes to 10, and get some packs or run areana for awhile :)

My experience had been the opposite. At rank 19 and a lot of casual play (almost all characters to level 10 now) I've had exactly one legendary used against me. There have been a handful of epics and rares, but nothing more than what I have from quest reward booster packs.

I've found at my level it's all about the draws, assuming roughly equal skill.

depths20XX

Hunter and Warlock are classes that you can make pretty cheap decks with and still be very good.

And yes, you will still need to play a lot to get better and learn.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
My experience had been the opposite. At rank 19 and a lot of casual play (almost all characters to level 10 now) I've had exactly one legendary used against me. There have been a handful of epics and rares, but nothing more than what I have from quest reward booster packs.

I've found at my level it's all about the draws, assuming roughly equal skill.

sure, but that's because from Rank 25-20 you can't lose stars. So no one stays in there for long.

Rank 19 and up is where you get to players who actually have cards or have been playing a bit.

Casual also allows for this as many people don't want to sacrifice ladder spots while learning a new deck

Towards the end of a season things settle down and the people who are still playing from ranks 6-19 are evened out. it's the beginning of the season where the good players have to grind back up from the lower ranks that is chaos. but it's much better now that you get stars based upon your ranking in the previous season.

although having to do that 25-20 grind was always hilarious.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I am comfortably settled in at Rank 14. I need to read more strategy articles and get some of the mid-cost legendaries to break into the top 10 I think but it's kind of like why bother too much (all my serious/tournament cardgaming time is devoted to Netrunner :p) because I'm having really fun games at this level.

Arena I want to enjoy really bad because I love drafting but my knowledge of the meta and the other races (I play Mage only) really hurts me there.

Bii

I am comfortably settled in at Rank 14. I need to read more strategy articles and get some of the mid-cost legendaries to break into the top 10 I think but it's kind of like why bother too much (all my serious/tournament cardgaming time is devoted to Netrunner :p) because I'm having really fun games at this level.

Arena I want to enjoy really bad because I love drafting but my knowledge of the meta and the other races (I play Mage only) really hurts me there.

It's not a bad thing to go into Arena using a character you've never played before or have no knowledge of. I did a 9-3 run with a Paladin (I mostly play Mage and Priest) and was having a great time getting a feel for what worked and what didn't. I could have gone up to 10 wins but made two costly mistakes one right after another that could have won me the game but I wasn't thinking before I executed. Once you have a feel for the new character you play as, you can anticipate what the other player is doing when faces against them.

I don't have any legendary cards but I've been bouncing between ranks 12-14 for the past few days using a very aggressive Mage deck.

Zing

Banned
I received a bonus pack for playing on an iPad. Weird, but I am wondering if a bonus pack is awarded for playing on a PC/Mac?

Grio

Neo Member
I just heard from a friend that this season ends on 4/30.

Is there any truth to this? Source?

Also, as a junior member, I'd kill to make threads, but I think we might need a fireside gathering thread up here soon. ;P

TomServo

sure, but that's because from Rank 25-20 you can't lose stars. So no one stays in there for long.

Rank 19 and up is where you get to players who actually have cards or have been playing a bit.

Casual also allows for this as many people don't want to sacrifice ladder spots while learning a new deck

Right, but what I was trying to get at is that other new players shouldn't be afraid of casual play and low-level ranked play.

Beyond beating the expert AI for a reward booster pack (or 100g?), even a new player is better off cutting their teeth againt other humans. You're simply not going to run into stacked decks, which is what the post I was replying to implied.

Jrmint

Also, as a junior member, I'd kill to make threads, but I think we might need a fireside gathering thread up here soon. ;P
Yea there's a blue post.

Check hearthpwn.com

Mik2121

Fucking Blizzard and their fucking Battle.net shit system.
I spent a while yesterday and today playing through the opening missions on my iPad. Finished it all and was ready to enjoy the fun, and bam! Battle.net login window.
I type in my account and password and after a few times of getting my pass wrong, I get through and instead of letting me play, it tells me I need to fucking activate the account on battle.net first. Ok, whatever.
Go to my iPhone and access battle net, I login without issues on the first try, and it tells me my fucking account is locked and they sent me an email to unlock it. I get no fucking email AT ALL. Keep waiting, no fucking email ever. Decide to try again and it gives me a link to reset my password (so I don't even need the fucking stupid email). Cool, login through it and it asks me for the goddamn security question. Uh-oh... get it wrong first time, type it a second time and now battle.net won't load. Try to access it again to play their fucking game and there's no way to get through this.
This is the second time my account gets blocked because I accessed it from two different points, and every time they make it so damn difficult to unlock it. I want to play this game but they just make it so damn impossible... :(

Tried to go back to the game and just connect with a different account or something, but now every time I try it says 'CLOSED' the game was unable to log you in through battle.net.
I assume it's because I wasn't able to access my fucking account with actual purchased content because I can't even get a fucking email from them, too bad. But now I can't even change the account and play on some secondary account just to try out the full game. Sweet.

(And yes, I'm aware that getting my password wrong a couple times probably raised a bunch of flags, but even then....make it easier, blizzard!)

Aylinato

Mage tried burning down my Druid deck which has molten giants and tons of heals. Needless to say 16 damage on the board by turn 6 is amazing vs a mage with 0 cards

Did you try using Google by chance?

I keep running into your types. I don't quit though (but I mostly lose).

Ooh, great idea. Anyway to easily kill bnet accounts afterwards?

Blizz accounts require assistance from the customer support to delete them. Unless you use fake account details. Hardly possible to identify yourself as some fictional character. :D

Grio

Neo Member
Fucking Blizzard and their fucking Battle.net shit system.
I spent a while yesterday and today playing through the opening missions on my iPad. Finished it all and was ready to enjoy the fun, and bam! Battle.net login window.
I type in my account and password and after a few times of getting my pass wrong, I get through and instead of letting me play, it tells me I need to fucking activate the account on battle.net first. Ok, whatever.
Go to my iPhone and access battle net, I login without issues on the first try, and it tells me my fucking account is locked and they sent me an email to unlock it. I get no fucking email AT ALL. Keep waiting, no fucking email ever. Decide to try again and it gives me a link to reset my password (so I don't even need the fucking stupid email). Cool, login through it and it asks me for the goddamn security question. Uh-oh... get it wrong first time, type it a second time and now battle.net won't load. Try to access it again to play their fucking game and there's no way to get through this.
This is the second time my account gets blocked because I accessed it from two different points, and every time they make it so damn difficult to unlock it. I want to play this game but they just make it so damn impossible... :(

Tried to go back to the game and just connect with a different account or something, but now every time I try it says 'CLOSED' the game was unable to log you in through battle.net.
I assume it's because I wasn't able to access my fucking account with actual purchased content because I can't even get a fucking email from them, too bad. But now I can't even change the account and play on some secondary account just to try out the full game. Sweet.

(And yes, I'm aware that getting my password wrong a couple times probably raised a bunch of flags, but even then....make it easier, blizzard!)

As a member of IT, this is pretty standard practice for account credentials (especially if you have multiple layers of encryption). Post a ticket, my friend! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom