• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripenen

I don't generally concede, but there is one situation that I usually will: They have lethal on board and play a card from their hand of no consequence to killing me.

I'll play inconsequential cards when I have a win if it helps me make progress on a quest. Likewise if I know I'm going to lose I'll let a game play out unless the other player is being a super dick and waiting out the timer.

Palehorse

I play arena whenever I can. I play quests to get the gold to play arena. I play ranked games to finish the quests. It's a simple life.

I have some fun with ranked games, and tweaking my decks, though I don't have many cards so I can't build the amazing decks I see online. Mostly I just play ranked to earn gold for arena.

That said, I am pretty mediocre at arena. My highest win total was 5 with a paladin after drafting 4 Blessing of Kings. I think the draw for me is the just the unknown, seeing how I draft, seeing how my deck performs against other people.

I started playing a few months ago in alpha and was very bad for a long time. It wasn't until I started watching some videos by other players outlining why some cards are good/bad, etc that I started to draft better and have more fun. Now it's my goto game on the ipad mini whenever I have some time.

railGUN

Banned
And I'm done with Arena. Just not fun loosing over and over with a class you don't like and a deck that sucks, for a paltry 25 gold.

If I could pick my class, I'd Arena all day long, but having to pick Priest because the other two suck even more, and then drawing a shit deck with rare cards that are worse than normals and not a single legendary or epic. Nope.

Neki

And I'm done with Arena. Just not fun loosing over and over with a class you don't like and a deck that sucks, for a paltry 25 gold.

If I could pick my class, I'd Arena all day long, but having to pick Priest because the other two suck even more, and then drawing a shit deck with rare cards that are worse than normals and not a single legendary or epic. Nope.
I think getting to six wins on any class arena is pretty easy, I tried making a beast deck with Hunter, got two buzzards, two hyenas and no unleash, but still got seven wins because it had a solid curve and good card draw

Kosma

Banned
I think getting to six wins on any class arena is pretty easy, I tried making a beast deck with Hunter, got two buzzards, two hyenas and no unleash, but still got seven wins because it had a solid curve and good card draw

Getting two buzZards and hyenas is pretty solid

Zing

Banned

I'm confused. Aren't your opponents doing the exact same thing? Why aren't they losing over and over?

Although if you are just trying to say "I'm not very good, and I only enjoy playing certain decks", then I see your point.

Grio

Neo Member
I'm confused. Aren't your opponents doing the exact same thing? Why aren't they losing over and over?

Although if you are just trying to say "I'm not very good, and I only enjoy playing certain decks", then I see your point.

This made me crack up.

There's no reason to complain about arena because it's very luck based. Obviously, not ever draft is going to be god-like. However, even with poor heroes you're usually able exploit that class' best cards and then work off other non-hero card sets to make a deck with decent synergy.

railGUN

Banned

I don't like how everything is random. Random hero, random deck, random number of epics etc. It's just not fun. I've had a couple good runs, but I feel like I'm spending a disproportionate amount of time not having fun for the return I'm averaging.

I figured the number of rare, legendary and epics would at least be even but evidently that's not the case.

Grio

Neo Member
You guys think the 2 bucks for arena is fair price?

Nope, I think it's a rip. If you're going to pay to play, at least get the packs so you have something long-lasting. Think about it, if you payed for every arena you played over a week, how much cash is missing from your pocket?

scy

The randomness isn't that big of a deal, however. Like, you're not going to be shafted most of the time. Unless all us people with ~75% or so Arena winrates are just inherently luckier than you, I guess.

railGUN

Banned
The randomness isn't that big of a deal, however. Like, you're not going to be shafted most of the time. Unless all us people with ~75% or so Arena winrates are just inherently luckier than you, I guess.

I'm pretty new, I could see how it's exploitable. I'm not saying I don't get it, I just don't find it fun.

JesseZao

I'll play inconsequential cards when I have a win if it helps me make progress on a quest. Likewise if I know I'm going to lose I'll let a game play out unless the other player is being a super dick and waiting out the timer.

It depends how they play them, as Opiate mentioned. If they drop something and sit there, that's when I'll probably bow out.

You guys think the 2 bucks for arena is fair price?

Sure it is. Some people like IAP and are used to them from other free ipad games. It's a valve to bypass impatience/play time.

Imo, if a reasonable person is going to spend money on this game, they'll spend it on packs to get started, not for arenas. There's a cash option for arena merely because some customers would want it, so Blizz would be dumb to not include it.

Blu10

In order for someone to win 3 out of 4 games you have to play 3 losers. Someone has to get the short end of the stick.

scy

In order for someone to win 3 out of 4 games you have to play 3 losers. Someone has to get the short end of the stick.

And they're all just unlucky, right?

That's all I'm getting at. Too many people simply blame the fact that the card selection is random and overlook that their play and how they tackled the draft is what will cause most of these losses. It's not simply "I had bad cards this time so I'm destined to lose."

railGUN

Banned
And they're all just unlucky, right?

That's all I'm getting at. Too many people simply blame the fact that the card selection is random and overlook that their play and how they tackled the draft is what will cause most of these losses. It's not simply "I had bad cards this time so I'm destined to lose."

My original point was I'm willing to lose with a class I like. I'm not willing to play round after round as a priest with shit decks for the profit, which lately has been -25 gold. All I said was I'm done with Arena, at least for now, as it's frustrating me more than it's entertaining me. Just stating my opinion.

Palehorse

This is true. For all the talk from people who get 6+ wins 'easily', that's enough losses to dump 2 other people out of their arena run. My skill level puts me at being okay with drawing even at 3-3 for a run. Each win is someone else another step on the way to retirement.

Palehorse

My original point was I'm willing to lose with a class I like. I'm not willing to play round after round as a priest with shit decks for the profit, which lately has been -25 gold. All I said was I'm done with Arena, at least for now, as it's frustrating me more than it's entertaining me. Just stating my opinion.

I definitely felt the same way as you about arena, it was only after I put some reading into the cards and strategies that I got a bit better and it got more fun. That didn't mean it felt good losing.

Apologies for the double post.

I think in general being able to tell what is and isn't random and identify what you can and can't control is what's difficult about games like this. I wish hearthstone has a replay feature so I can rewatch my games and see what I could've done differently, I think it would help a great deal in learning to improve at the game, especially for someone like me who has no previous card game experience outside of playing card fighters clash on an emulator.

That and realizing that you don't need to try and spend all your mana every turn

This is true. For all the talk from people who get 6+ wins 'easily', that's enough losses to dump 2 other people out of their arena run. My skill level puts me at being okay with drawing even at 3-3 for a run. Each win is someone else another step on the way to retirement.

Yeah, I average pretty regularly on a 3-3 win rate. 6 is my current best. I usually find I lose the first few to really great drafts and then get lumped in with other 0-2 peeps and beat off a few of them.

The matchmaking kinda works like that right? Grouping players with similar arena win/loss runs together?

Triz

just played a miracle rogue deck for the first time (sans van cleef.) Drew every card and won with my last draw. Thats one hell of a crazy deck.

scy

That's fine. I'm just saying that people blaming losses on random are overlooking that they're definitely just misplaying things. Focusing too much on the "random" as the cause of everything just feels like shifting the blame, so to speak.

Besides, none of this is really directed at you. Just more of the discussion at large.

sibarraz

Banned
Oh, I'm so happy

My favorite deck is paladin, but in that deck I only had soul inbound cards. Anyway, today I fight against another paladin who had more exclusive paladin cards, an 8/8 dragon who fills the place with 1/1 minions, and another minion 6/6 I think with divine shield, taunt, and that produces a powerful weapon when he dies

It was a large battle (15-25 min approx) and too many close calls, but in the end I still won.

This match helped me to keep playing since at level 20, I was getting frustrated to fight guys who with one legendary, turned the table badly for me.

Still, I need to get better cards soon, but I think that I wouldn't spend real money anytuime soon

Haines

Banned
I watched chanmans video on how to build miracle rogue. Cool deck and I've went against it online before. Only prob is I only have vancleef out of the 4 legendarys. I'm going to see if I have enough epics or else no point in trying it really.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I watched chanmans video on how to build miracle rogue. Cool deck and I've went against it online before. Only prob is I only have vancleef out of the 4 legendarys. I'm going to see if I have enough epics or else no point in trying it really.

nah you really need Leeroy for Miracle Rogue. You could use Arcade Golem as a sub, I guess, but it wouldn't have nearly the burst with Shadowstep

There's more than one variant to Miracle Rogue however. I'm current using one that uses Mana Addicts as the main source of damage. Another poster linked it in here. Credit goes to FreeGold3 or somesuch. Leeroy is in the list but he isn't as vital, though he can still be used to kill.

That being said, I feel like this deck is a bit harder to play. What you need is an Auctioneer and Addict down on the board in stealth, which can be a pain to do depending on draws and your opponent. However, if you get them down and it's your turn, you've pretty much have won by that point.

Link.

It's been sketchy for me however the past few days. Might try a Tempo rogue next season and see how that pans out.

soldat7

Nope, I think it's a rip. If you're going to pay to play, at least get the packs so you have something long-lasting. Think about it, if you payed for every arena you played over a week, how much cash is missing from your pocket?

But don't you get a pack for your entry fee anyway? At worst, you're out 50 cents...

sibarraz

Banned
I see arena as a risk to earn better prices, since you always win a pack, if you at least make 50 cents, you still recovered your inversion, and winning only 25 isn't that bad since the risk is worthy

Palehorse

Yeah, I average pretty regularly on a 3-3 win rate. 6 is my current best. I usually find I lose the first few to really great drafts and then get lumped in with other 0-2 peeps and beat off a few of them.

The matchmaking kinda works like that right? Grouping players with similar arena win/loss runs together?

Yeah I think you're right. I do the same when I start out at 0-2. I come back and beat other people who I assume went 0-2 as well...unless it's me going 0-3. :/

I kinda regret DEing my deathwing. The dust let me finish my warrior deck but I kinda wish I still had that card for a gimmick deck. I didn't even try to play it, although I've had it in arena before...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Arena is ideal if you're moderately good at Arena. RNG is annoying, and it really sucks losing to perfect nut draws or crazy pulls, but if you look past these gut emotions and view it as a numbers game, you'll see that it's the most efficient way to spend your gold, and you should focus on that efficiency rather than tilting your way into 0-3.

I think my average Arena score is 4-3 or 5-3, which is "breaking even" as far as gold goes. A 55-65% win rate in Arena is not hard to manage at all.

Brofist

Drafted Ragnaros twice in a row.

1-3
3-3

Fuck my life. I am so god damn bad at this game. I seriously am getting worse.

My worst arenas always seem to be when I draft the big legendaries like Rag or Ysera. The best are always the more unexpected drafts with good tempo and card synergy.

Haly

There are very few situations where a specific Legendary is literally game winning (Ragnaros against 8 HP opponent is one, Leeroy for 6, etc). Most of the times, I find that my Legendaries don't matter, and that if I had a Boulderfist Ogre or even a Chillwind Yeti (in the case of Cairne Bloodhoof), I would've done just as well.

The most important thing is your foundation, which is curve and basic/common class cards.

I plug this every time this topic comes up. Use http://arenavalue.com/ the next time you slap together a deck and see if you don't see more success.

johnsmith

remember me
Is there any punishment for repeatedly immediately conceding as to lower your rank to farm wins on lower ranks? Is Blizz going to ban me?

Haly

Is there any punishment for repeatedly immediately conceding as to lower your rank to farm wins on lower ranks? Is Blizz going to ban me?

Well, it's numerically impossible, which is a kind of punishment.

You get bonus stars for win streaks, but not lose streaks, so given a random ratio of wins to losses, you'll always gain rank faster than you lose it.

Unless you're just talking about doing dailies then I don't think Blizzard give a fuck.

Hubb

What would be the point of this? Getting the 500 win card back for a class? I don't think they'll ban you, but it doesn't sound like a "cool" thing to do.

johnsmith

remember me
Well, it's numerically impossible, which is a kind of punishment.

You get bonus stars for win streaks, but not lose streaks, so given a random ratio of wins to losses, you'll always gain rank faster than you lose it.

Unless you're just talking about doing dailies then I don't think Blizzard give a fuck.

What would be the point of this? Getting the 500 win card back for a class? I don't think they'll ban you, but it doesn't sound like a "cool" thing to do.

To get wins for the 500 you need for the gold hero portrait, and to farm gold by getting 3 wins mainly. Also to level up to 60 faster, unless you get more xp for defeating higher ranked players?

Haly

500 wins, I can understand... and the 3 wins thing. Leveling up doesn't matter though, unless you really want those gold cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom