• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronB

I definitely think the game's gotten harder, probably due to the matchmaking algorithms. For a long time when I first started I rarely lost; now every game is tough even in casual play. When I need to play a bad class for the dailies it can be pretty miserable.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's because everyone is getting better, all the time.

It's one of the realities of low execution games like Hearthstone that the average skill of the playerbase keeps pace with the development of the highest level of play. When you can become better at the game just by reading an article here or there and copying the odd deck, well, everyone's going to be growing obscenely fast.

johnsmith

remember me
Finally, rank 4. Man, that was a struggle. Seeing some weird decks. Just beat an aggro warrior. And I just found out win streaks go away at rank 5. God damn it.

zoukka

Man I think I faced two of the best arena decks ever made in a row. Ended up 3-3 which is horribad, but losing to those decks didn't even feel that bad. First was a druid with four DotC, two keepers, two lores, swipes, wraths and the rest of the deck was premium commons and rares. The second was a dream mage. All cards two-for-ones, I played very efficiently and always with card advantage in mind, yet turn six he had twice the cards in hand, a taunted mountain giant on play and FOUR fireballs which he finished me off with. Insane shit.

Well that wasn't fun.

Got matched up with a guy who dropped Ysera, Ragnaros, Alexstrasza, Grommash, and Harrison Jones on me. Managed to keep up for a while but dropping one after another just decimated my removal options. Didn't help matters that he copied one of my Ironbark Protectors as well. Who knows what else he had floating around in the rest of his deck.

Really sucks being matched up with people that have either put way more time into the game or spent way more money. Brings on that "pay to win" feeling that's so frustrating. Sadly I've been getting more and more matches like that. One guy I faced had an entire deck that was golden. Epics, Legendaries, everything.

Card Boy

Banned
I want to see a mode that has pre-constructed decks only. We will see if all those tools with those legendaries are as skilled as they think they are. You can't go beyond rank rank 10 if you don't have legendaries.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Whelp, I'm definitely gone from arena right now. Draft a decent deck with Hunter, get put against a better Hunter with loads of traps, double UTH, Starving Buzzard, Scavenging Hyena, Eaglehorn Bow etc. Then I got put against a Mage with two Kirin Tor Mages and loads of secrets. I just cut the run short there. 100% RNG just isn't fun to play. At least I got Ragnaros from the pack.

P7ito56l.jpg

The 0-minion Mage...

Not actually that scary.

Hmm... Fireside backs are in, my wife has an account and I have an account... guess it's time to make a third dummy account and log them all in for the free card back <3

Minsc

Gold Member
Hmm... Fireside backs are in, my wife has an account and I have an account... guess it's time to make a third dummy account and log them all in for the free card back <3

You have to actually play 3 games between the accounts while they're logged in as well? Or just log in?

Looks like it says you have to have 3 matches too, I wonder if conceding counts... could do it in just a few mins then, opposed to 15-20.

You have to actually play 3 games between the accounts while they're logged in as well? Or just log in?

You only have to play 3 matches with one person (you don't have to have the third account do anything besides be logged in and press buttons on it occasionally to keep it from logging out).

Basically it goes like this. Blizz checks to see if there are 3 people logged in from the same IP. Then it checks if you're playing against someone else on the same network. After 3 matches it then rewards you it (and anyone else on the network that has also done 3).

So I'll unlock on my wife and my accounts and the third account will just be unused and forgotten after I've done so. (can't do it right this second, have to wait till the wife gets home from work with her laptop).

Kosma

Banned
Rank 8 is such a struggle, my zoolock and hunter are both only getting like 50% wins.

Dunno how to get past this point.

Switched from zoolock to hunter and it seems to give me a bit more control.

Not much you can do when people pop ysera and then alexstrasza when they ar down to 1.

Minsc

Gold Member
You only have to play 3 matches with one person (you don't have to have the third account do anything besides be logged in and press buttons on it occasionally to keep it from logging out).

Basically it goes like this. Blizz checks to see if there are 3 people logged in from the same IP. Then it checks if you're playing against someone else on the same network. After 3 matches it then rewards you it (and anyone else on the network that has also done 3).

So I'll unlock on my wife and my accounts and the third account will just be unused and forgotten after I've done so. (can't do it right this second, have to wait till the wife gets home from work with her laptop).

Got my fireside back, worked like you explained, immediately rewarded it to both accounts w/ the three games proceeding the 3rd match. :)

I need to be careful with my flare when I have lethal. I almost killed someone'd Sylvanas after I summoned Leeroy.

Edit: Finally made it to rank 10, I'm done for the season. This is too stressful.

JesseZao

I need to be careful with my flare when I have lethal. I almost killed someone'd Sylvanas after I summoned Leeroy.

Edit: Finally made it to rank 10, I'm done for the season. This is too stressful.

The ultimate stress relief in free games that haves ranked play is to make a second account and if you are feeling stress, just climb the lower one. Works pretty well for this game since cheap decks can climb just fine.

The ultimate stress relief in free games that haves ranked play is to make a second account and if you are feeling stress, just climb the lower one. Works pretty well for this game since cheap decks can climb just fine.
Yeah, I'm just playing Casual with silly decks for quests for now. Just keeping it easy going for now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's kind of crazy how high the production values for these Hearthstone tournaments are.

It puts a lot of Dota2 tournaments to shame and those were backed by larger organizations with a longer history and a greater fanbase.

I want to see a mode that has pre-constructed decks only. We will see if all those tools with those legendaries are as skilled as they think they are. You can't go beyond rank rank 10 if you don't have legendaries.

There have been multiple streamers showing Free-to-Play Runs to Legendary rank. It may not be quite as fast (though I believe Reynads first run, with the Warrior deck, took him less then a week?), but it is very possible to get there without having paid a cent and without a single legendary in your deck..

In fact, one of the strongest decks right now, the mid-range Hunter, is extremely cheap to make. While some versions include one legendary (mostly Leeroy, sometimes Mukla), they are not necessary. Same goes with another pretty strong and popular deck, the Zoo-Warlock.

FStop7

Banned
I really like playing Priest, but it's so outgunned on the ladder because it's too slow. But WOW, once it gets going you can do some devastating things.

johnsmith

remember me
There have been multiple streamers showing Free-to-Play Runs to Legendary rank. It may not be quite as fast (though I believe Reynads first run, with the Warrior deck, took him less then a week?), but it is very possible to get there without having paid a cent and without a single legendary in your deck..

In fact, one of the strongest decks right now, the mid-range Hunter, is extremely cheap to make. While some versions include one legendary (mostly Leeroy, sometimes Mukla), they are not necessary. Same goes with another pretty strong and popular deck, the Zoo-Warlock.

Just built kolento's hunter deck literally a few minutes ago. Had most of the cards already except for a flare and 2 hyenas. Gonna try it out right now for my daily quests after I watch him play a few games on his stream.

Chronoja

I really like playing Priest, but it's so outgunned on the ladder because it's too slow. But WOW, once it gets going you can do some devastating things.

I only started playing Hearthstone like a couple of days ago, haven't even unlocked the basic cards for all classes yet but I decided to put together a pretty basic Priest deck and to take it into Ranked. First time I'd played ranked, went from 25 -> 17 with a pretty good win streak. The higher I got though the more and more I started to run into stuff my basic deck just couldn't handle too well, multiple legendary cards, the popular hunter decks etc.

I know that's not exactly a good measurement of the class overall, especially within meta play and all that, plus that I'm still pretty new to it all but so far I agree, the Priest is quite a bit of fun. I wish the resources were a little bit"easier" to acquire since it'll probably take me a while to round out the rough edges of the decks I want to build for it though, but meh, I can't really complain too much, I just have to get better at Arena games.

StuBurns

Banned
I've only been playing it for a few days, and I've really never played any card games before, save for a little bit of real life Pokemon as a child.

I am pretty blown away so far, I really shouldn't have held off on cards games for this long, it's awesome.

FStop7

Banned
One in a Million by Guns N Roses is probably not the best choice to play as break music for your international Hearthstone tournament streaming to 36,000+ viewers. Just sayin'.

cant stop playing this game. so addicted and i dont play ccg's. levelling up my mage in casual. has blizzard said anything about an offline mode?? or iphone? killing me that i have to have an internet connection to play. masterful game.

Just opened a pretty nice pack.

Scavenging Hyena
2 Feral Spirits (1 Golden)
Divine Favor
Tirion Fordring

Definitely a nice boost for my Shaman. Also probably a good time to finally build a Paladin deck lol.

JesseZao

cant stop playing this game. so addicted and i dont play ccg's. levelling up my mage in casual. has blizzard said anything about an offline mode?? or iphone? killing me that i have to have an internet connection to play. masterful game.

Blame the Asian market for online only account based systems. We won't see an offline mode most likely.

scy

One in a Million by Guns N Roses is probably not the best choice to play as break music for your international Hearthstone tournament streaming to 36,000+ viewers. Just sayin'.

Everything about the production values here is laughable.

Zeliard

As someone who plays a control Warlock, I really, really, really hate Priests in constructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom