• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it easier to win with shitty decks in lower Ranked than in Casual mode?

Isn't that the fucking point of casual mode? No, I get to run into Zoolock, Miracle, and Hunters in general.

It's people grinding out their daily quests in casual mode, because it's not their "main" deck and they'd rather not lose ranks grinding it.

Casual is tryhard as fuck

Minsc

Gold Member
Why is it easier to win with shitty decks in lower Ranked than in Casual mode?

Isn't that the fucking point of casual mode? This game is such bullshit 90% of the time.

Obviously I need to dust half my card collection so I can half a decent deck with a legendary actually in it.

Low ranks = people who can't advance (generally)
casual = matched up so you have a 50% winrate (win too much matches need to get harder, lose too much, easier)

Seems pretty logical casual isn't going to be easy, you're destined to lose around 1/2 your games normally. Ranked mode is only going to throw people at similar ranks, casual is going to throw the world's hardest matches at you to get you losing if you start a win streak.

Tacitus_

I was amused this morning to see a hunter in arena play a turn 4 multi-shot against me, and my board was a secret keeper, acolyte of pain, and a 1/1... the multi-shot hits the secret keeper and acolyte (drawing me a card), the secret keeper pulls a duplicate in to play, and then the duplicate immediately triggers giving me two more acolytes. I would have preferred two more secret keepers, but I wasn't going to complain with essentially 4 more cards in my hand (two of which would end up drawing even more cards). Went on to win easily due to the card advantage.

Duplicate is pretty brutal in arena though. Lost a game pretty hard against a mage that got a duplicate out turn 3 follow by taz'dingo turn 4, and I had no way forward but through... which is really more like backwards in that case.

Duplicate tazdingo in arena is insane value.

IceMarker

It's people grinding out their daily quests in casual mode, because it's not their "main" deck and they'd rather not lose ranks grinding it.

Casual is tryhard as fuck

Low ranks = people who can't advance (generally)
casual = matched up so you have a 50% winrate (win too much matches need to get harder, lose too much, easier)

Seems pretty logical casual isn't going to be easy, you're destined to lose around 1/2 your games normally. Ranked mode is only going to throw people at similar ranks, casual is going to throw the world's hardest matches at you to get you losing if you start a win streak.

Well, to further the point, I just loss 3 times in a row on Casual, only to win 3 times in a row on my first runs of the season on Ranked. Huh.

ViviOggi

This OGN tournament, can't decide who's worse, players or casters
facepalm.gif

I love winning against rush decks when I only have 1 health remaining and they have 20.

If only you'd cleared my board you shitty rush playing fucks looool

Fixed1979

I'll stop posting these soon, promise! I think we've tapped everyone we can now.

Signups close midnight tomorrow.

The NeoGAF Hearthstone NA Superstar Open Challenge Season One (September Edition)!

I love winning against rush decks when I only have 1 health remaining and they have 20.

If only you'd cleared my board you shitty rush playing fucks looool

So much anger! lol

I don't play the deck much anymore, but I absolutely love winning when my Ice Mage gets immunity twice in the same match plus I play at Alex at 1-3 health. I know how pissed I would be, which makes it all the sweeter.

I'll stop posting these soon, promise! I think we've tapped everyone we can now.

Signups close midnight tomorrow.

The NeoGAF Hearthstone Superstar Open Challenge Season One (September Edition)!

So much anger! lol

I don't play the deck much anymore, but I absolutely love winning when my Ice Mage gets immunity twice in the same match plus I play at Alex at 1-3 health. I know how pissed I would be, which makes it all the sweeter.

Need like a banner to make it pop out more.

So much anger! lol

Haha not really angry, I just hate playing against boring rush decks. If you don't get any early board clear within the first 4/5 turns it's pretty much GG.

Don't hate playing against rush decks as much as I hate playing against priest and their bullshit rng though haha

zoukka

Coming back to arenas... mage is just more OP than it ever was...

I guess it's just dailies from now on until an expansion hits.

Only things on the board are my Kel'Thuzad and Sylvanas. My opponent destroys Sylvanas with a Deathbiter and then plays Rag in some hope to one shot my KT. Sylvanas revives before Rag fires off and she becomes the target. What a dumb card.

I was playing a secret Mage the other day where I got way out ahead with my Warrior deck. I had something like 50 combined health and armor. He started to come back after he Duplicated a Ragnaros, and they just kept hitting my face instead of minions. Rag hit me for at least 32 damage between the three of them. So, it got to the point where I had 6 health, a weapon in hand with one swing left, and no cards in hand. He still had Rag on the board. I drew my last card, Kel'Thuzad, and played it assuming that I'd lose regardless of who Rag hit, since my weapon didn't have enough damage to kill him (he had like 8 health left), and KT would never get to attack since he would either die, or I'd already have lost before he was ready. But then Rag hit KT and KT revived himself giving me just enough damage to kill him the next turn. He must have been pissed.

Fixed1979

Need like a banner to make it pop out more.

Honestly I'm pretty happy we managed to get that many. There may be 1-2 more before the deadline.

Next time please clearly state it's NA only before you start spamming it.

Point taken, I edit my post to include NA, didn't mean to put you out. I have tried to keep the "spamming" to a minimum though, if it's gotten out of hand then I apologize.

Haha not really angry, I just hate playing against boring rush decks. If you don't get any early board clear within the first 4/5 turns it's pretty much GG.

Don't hate playing against rush decks as much as I hate playing against priest and their bullshit rng though haha

lol, even when I play a priest I curse every time I have to face another one.

ShinNL

Daily (after reroll): Shaman or Warlock. I decided to do my dailies on ranked now so I can start working for golden heroes. So far it has been very painful as Shaman. Hunter, Hunter, Mage, Hunter....

Edit: Switched back to Titan V (http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/94388-titan-v), got my daily. Should've done that much earlier than trying mid-range decks, which is so pointless when other classes have so much better mana curves.

Alright, some other random ideas I had thanks to the expansion coming out, which will probably take 4+ months, but I still have fun thinking up stuff. I'm also curious if other card games, mainly MTG, have things like this as well. Chances are probably so.

Azure Spell Binder
3 Cost 1/1 Body
Whenever this minion attacks, drain 1/1 from target minion.

I got the idea from TimeKllr's explanation of Infect and this spell from WoW. I think it'd be a cool creature to play with, but it might end up being too strong. Then again, a 1/1 on turn 3 that needs minions to get strong might not to big of an issue. I think three would be a good cost since it deals three damage on it's first attack, steals a toughness and gains an attack, and it can effectively trade with anything that's x/1, since it would die from the effect and not take damage.

Bloodlord Mandokir
5 Cost 2/8 Body
Whenever this minion kills another minion, gain +3/+3

So this was a boss from the raid, and a revamped dungeon, that had a special effect. He had the ability to instantly kill anyone in your group, and when did, he would level up. Think Questing Adventurer but instead of gaining stats with cards, it's with corpses. I think it would be cool to have it match the cost of Meaxenna / Gurubashi Berserker since I feel starting with a low attack is important that it doesn't start to strong, but has enough health that it can trade more than once.

So if it isn't obvious, I really like the idea of minions getting stronger as a battle goes on. It's one reason I love playing Murlock since you can turn a little 2/1 into murdering machine. I just find that satisfying, even though I know it's considered cheese. I do like Gruul and Shade but the fact that they're passive and you have to wait for those to take effect, just doesn't seem as fun to me. I always enjoy a more active card than a passive one.

KingKiller

Neo Member
Alright, some other random ideas I had thanks to the expansion coming out, which will probably take 4+ months, but I still have fun thinking up stuff. I'm also curious if other card games, mainly MTG, have things like this as well. Chances are probably so.

Azure Spell Binder
3 Cost 1/1 Body

I got the idea from TimeKllr's explanation of Infect and this spell from WoW. I think it'd be a cool creature to play with, but it might end up being too strong. Then again, a 1/1 on turn 3 that needs minions to get strong might not to big of an issue. I think three would be a good cost since it deals three damage on it's first attack, steals a toughness and gains an attack, and it can effectively trade with anything that's x/1, since it would die from the effect and not take damage.

Bloodlord Mandokir
5 Cost 2/8 Body

So this was a boss from the raid, and a revamped dungeon, that had a special effect. He had the ability to instantly kill anyone in your group, and when did, he would level up. Think Questing Adventurer but instead of gaining stats with cards, it's with corpses. I think it would be cool to have it match the cost of Meaxenna / Gurubashi Berserker since I feel starting with a low attack is important that it doesn't start to strong, but has enough health that it can trade more than once.

So if it isn't obvious, I really like the idea of minions getting stronger as a battle goes on. It's one reason I love playing Murlock since you can turn a little 2/1 into murdering machine. I just find that satisfying, even though I know it's considered cheese. I do like Gruul and Shade but the fact that they're passive and you have to wait for those to take effect, just doesn't seem as fun to me. I always enjoy a more active card than a passive one.

I can think of several MTG cards like that. There is a card in mtg that when a creature dealt damage by the specified creature dies within the turn the specified creature still gains like +1/+1. If that makes sense. I always though like a 5 pull 1/7 witht the same effect in HS would be cool.

Fixed1979

Azure Spell Binder
3 Cost 1/1 Body

Bloodlord Mandokir
5 Cost 2/8 Body

Would the Azure still gain an attack from an X/1 as there isn't an attack to drain? I can see this becoming pretty strong, especially in a priest deck that easily increase its health.

I can think of several MTG cards like that. There is a card in mtg that when a creature dealt damage by the specified creature dies within the turn the specified creature still gains like +1/+1. If that makes sense. I always though like a 5 pull 1/7 witht the same effect in HS would be cool.

Ensuring that the attacked creature must die on the same turn would certainly slow the card down from getting out of hand. Would make it much more difficult to use as well.

Would the Azure still gain an attack from an X/1 as there isn't an attack to drain? I can see this becoming pretty strong, especially in a priest deck that easily increase its health.
I honestly didn't think about that, but I feel if the card/effect did exist, that's something you'd have to test for. I would assume that all of their in house testing just consists of playing games over and over, trying to think of every conceivable deck possible. Technically, a Priest can put down a Deathlord on turn three, and win on turn four with a crazy combo. Of course, that takes a really luck draw, and draws as the game goes on, and also going second. However, even though it's extremely rare, it's still possible. So I suppose it would also take into account how consistently strong it would be.

KingKiller

Neo Member
Ensuring that the attacked creature must die on the same turn would certainly slow the card down from getting out of hand. Would make it much more difficult to use as well.

I think in, let's say, a mage deck, this would work perfectly because there aren't a ton of buff spells so you aren't going to have a 20/20 by the third round. But at the same time there are plenty of spells and the hero power that will make activating it easier without making it ridiculous.

Fixed1979

I honestly didn't think about that, but I feel if the card/effect did exist, that's something you'd have to test for. I would assume that all of their in house testing just consists of playing games over and over, trying to think of every conceivable deck possible. Technically, a Priest can put down a Deathlord on turn three, and win on turn four with a crazy combo. Of course, that takes a really luck draw, and draws as the game goes on, and also going second. However, even though it's extremely rare, it's still possible. So I suppose it would also take into account how consistently strong it would be.

For sure, I'm throwing things out there. I'm just hoping that we see something completely new for card properties (and I'm sure we will). I'm pretty excited to see what they come up with.

I tried zetalot priest. Turn 3 Deathlord, opponent deadly shots it and gets a Highmane.

Deathlord can ruin your day easily, I want to be in a good position (or completely desperate) with board control or cards in hand to at least attempt to deal with what might happen. There have been lots of occasions with that priest deck that I've played him so late that the opponent doesn't have any minions left in his deck.

Special C

A really cool feature would be able to choose your card back individually per deck as part of deck construction. That way you could use multiple backs easily and theme them to your decks. i.e. Icecrown for Freeze Mage, Nax Back for heavy deathrattle decks etc.

Leezard

A really cool feature would be able to choose your card back individually per deck as part of deck construction. That way you could use multiple backs easily and theme them to your decks. i.e. Icecrown for Freeze Mage, Nax Back for heavy deathrattle decks etc.

But then you would have to mind game and not use icecrown for freeze mage because otherwise people would know what you play before you play a single card. Other than that, sure, it's a nice suggestion.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Golden Chillwind Yeti is so fucking sexy... the climb was totally worth it.

Ultrabum

After opening a pack and getting Al'Akir the Windlord the other day, he is now my favorite card. Especially because I have decided his attacking quote is, "They're fucking insects"

Pretty fun to combo with flame tongue and rockbiter.

Also, because I'm sure people will ask, I just lose most of my games vs. hunter. However, it is super satisfying to win vs. one.

Alrus

Pirates and Murlocks have just gotten worse and worse. They cannot ever be viable without some ridiculous buffs and new cards. (not that pirates ever were viable :b)

Yeah I'm always pretty sad that themed decks aren't more viable (or the fact that there's barely any themed cards to begin with).

Hope they add more in the future (and that they make them more than mediocre gimmicky decks).

My last 3 losses were to a massively buff Van Cleef, a yolo deathwing, and an egg + power overwhelming + void terror combo, all of which would've been really all-in plays against any other control deck since I had a better board and more cards. It's frustrating but I guess all those situations could've been better handled.

I feel like undertaker is a better 1-drop than the argent squire, because you can play it in the same turn as a loot hoarder or a harvest golem and immediately have a great board. If you don't run cold bloods or abusive sergeants that let your squires trade up I don't think you'd get as much value out of them as you would a zoo or shaman deck.

Strangely enough I actually really like ragnaros, not even as just a finisher, because usually sylvanas, rivendare, and the sludge belchers eat up the removals and this deck controls the board very well, so it's common to play Rag on turn 10 when you have a good set of minions and just trade for his board for 3 turns to win.

Well it is a tempo deck, you shouldn't be playing for advantage like a control deck. I think a sap wouldn't be bad to have but you'd have to sacrifice something for it.

I am trying out a similar deck atm and without sap, assassinate, or silence I did lose to an early 10/10 van cleef, but then again that is pretty rare tbh. Most people don't go all in van cleef.

I could see demonlock being a problem though. But a single sap could turn that around since it acts like a silence for these minions you need to invest a lot into like void terror and van cleef.

So far I've only beaten a face warrior, lost to a miracle rogue...

edit:
Playing unfavorable match ups I think, mage had amazing start and had me down to 12 hp on like turn 5 and only wins due to pyroblast while I was 3-4 short of lethal.

ladder meta:

druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter,

Fixed1979

ladder meta:

druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter, druid, hunter, druid, druid, hunter, druid, hunter hunter, druid, hunter, druid, hunter, hunter,

I see a pattern starting to emerge here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom