• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wild Pyro + Equality is pretty retarded

Lost a game where I had 4 Thaddius on the field to that dumb shit

:(

Never over-extend against a (control) Paladin. It's very likely they have some sort of combo to clear your board.

And let's not start nerfing the Pali please, they have it hard enough as it is already. It's still the only class I play because it's so much fun but damn, it can be really demoralising.

I don't want to quote it right now, but in response to Mobius' last post, your are correct, Kel'Thuzad will resurrect in order of who died first. Something to remember when you have one down or someone else does. It's also very important when you have more than one Kel'Thuzad, or you'll end up filling your board with junk. That's one thing I've figured out with my deck, when to stop making totems.
Edit : An easy way to think of this is that minions who die on a turn go into a queue and they return in order.

As an aside, while reading MTH stuff, I was curious what you guys would think about adding a poison legendary. For those who dont play MTG, you'd have a minion that adds a poison counter through an ability. Once you get ten, you automatically die. What I was thinking for Hearthstone was to have a legendary that was 4/x that instead of damaging the hero, it adds a poison counter. I think it'd be cool to have another ability in the game but maybe you'd need more than one minion to actually make it work but then I'd feel it might be to strong without a way to remove the poison counters.

TimeKillr

As an aside, while reading MTH stuff, I was curious what you guys would think about adding a poison legendary. For those who dont play MTG, you'd have a minion that adds a poison counter through an ability. Once you get ten, you automatically die. What I was thinking for Hearthstone was to have a legendary that was 4/x that instead of damaging the hero, it adds a poison counter. I think it'd be cool to have another ability in the game but maybe you'd need more than one minion to actually make it work but then I'd feel it might be to strong without a way to remove the poison counters.

Let's not even talk about adding the most broken MtG mechanic in recent history to HS. HS already has it's own problems - that stupid Infectmechanic in MtG is ridiculous already (and there's a reason it was retired after a single set). You *could* have the minion part of Infect, but the player portion of Infectis the stupidest thing they ever put, especially with Proliferate and the fact that it's impossible to cure.

For those who don't know, Infect in MtG is two things.

If a creature with Infecthits anything, it's target receives a Poison counter.

On creatures, each Poison counter does -1/-1. If a creature's HP goes to 0, the creature dies (so you need 5 Poison counters to kill a creature with 5 life, for example). This isn't too bad, as it's disposable on creatures and such, so you can technically do something about it.

On players, each Poison counter increases the player's Poison level by 1. If a player's Poison level reaches 10, the player instantly dies. Poison is unhealable as there are no ways to get rid of Poison counters. This is where the bullshit begins - essentially all it does is make you have 10 HP to some mechanic that is unavoidable. There were enough creatures with Infect that it made the mechanic very powerful, so against Infect decks it was almost impossible to counter unless you went very heavy aggro and killed them first. Any sort of control deck gets completely ravaged by that (hell, most non-aggro decks get destroyed by that).

And that's without the other keyword they introduced in MtG for that - Proliferate. Whenever something triggers Proliferate, you give an extra counter to anything that already has a counter (it's your choice, too).

So here's what happens - players infect you *once* then start a Proliferate engine. You need to do 9 Proliferate and bam, you kill the other player. There's an Artifact creature that proliferates when it dies, and there's enough cards that bring artifacts back to life, not to mention a green creature that sacrifies a creature then proliferate, so you can sac that artifact, do 2 Proliferates, bring it back to life, and do the circle again and again and again. It's just ridiculous.

No. Just no. :) It amounts to playing solitaire as soon as ONE poison counter is placed on your opponent.

Aylinato

Oh so over the weekend we decided we hate Hunter's Mark now?

I mean, when thinking about it, it's a 0 cost spell that with combination with buzzard and unleash the hounds allows for one of the best combo removals, you get cards+using the hounds isn't like using a minion, and you normally get amazing value taking out multiple heavy hitter cards.

So if you have two minions out and they get 2 cards+removing one heavy minion for free, while having mana to spare, and that's just for 5 mana. Unlike miracle rogue the hunters cards all have syngery with the buzzard and damn man 0 mana removal is OP

zoukka

I mean, when thinking about it, it's a 0 cost spell that with combination with buzzard and unleash the hounds allows for one of the best combo removals, you get cards+using the hounds isn't like using a minion, and you normally get amazing value taking out multiple heavy hitter cards.

So if you have two minions out and they get 2 cards+removing one heavy minion for free, while having mana to spare, and that's just for 5 mana. Unlike miracle rogue the hunters cards all have syngery with the buzzard and damn man 0 mana removal is OP

But the fact remains the card isn't a "0 mana removal", it always needs a minion or another spell to go with it. It relies heavily on UTH which again relies completely on Buzzard.

Aylinato

^which is almost always what hunters mulligan for. You aren't even acknowledging the synergy with buzzard and UTH. See blizzard knows there is a problem as they nerfed UTH, but then they didnt realize that buzzard was the problem not UTH. Heck with webspiners being 1 mana that makes it have amazing syngery. So anything past turn 5 you almost cannot play more than 1 minion, and if you don't play 2 minions then you've already lost because of the combos that hunters have

Execute ヽ(´ー`)ノ

Costs 1 mana and you have to activate it, doesn't guarentee card draw if played with two other cards that will away the game in the hunters favor.

Ultrabum

But the fact remains the card isn't a "0 mana removal", it always needs a minion or another spell to go with it. It relies heavily on UTH which again relies completely on Buzzard.

UTH or a stone tusk boar or a haunted creeper or a spectral spider or a webspinner or an explosive trap or ...

Don't get me wrong, I don't think hunters mark is super broken, but it's strong.

I think the combination of draws from buzzard with the additon of strong beast cards like haunted creeper and the power of mad scientist all combined made hunter OP.

Basically I don't think haunted creeper should be a beast... It's like a fucking yeti in terms of value AND a beast is crazy. Beast cards should have worse stats compared to non-beast cards: see bloodfen raptor vs. knife juggler.

Non-hunter classes should never consider putting beasts in their constructed decks because they should be weak without beast synergy. Instead haunted creeper is so strong without being a beast that many decks run it.

Tldr: many things add together to make hunter super strong right now, especially haunted creeper, webspinner, and mad scientist.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Costs 1 mana and you have to activate it, doesn't guarentee card draw if played with two other cards that will away the game in the hunters favor.

Deathbite + Acolyte of Pain?

This is like those Preparation-Auctioneer complaints from pre-Naxx. Everyone's just evaluating Hunter's Mark as part of a package (Mark + UTH + Buzzard), without considering how well those cards do on their own, which is the tradeoff for synergy. Given the new tools Naxx gave Hunters, it could use some tweaks to compensate (Hunter's Mark to 1, for example), but the sky isn't falling like you guys think it is!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The pig in the room, one might say.

There's a reason, however, that people weren't running Stonetusk in VGVN, which is that it's weak most of the time unless paired with Buzzard/Hunter's mark. Even then, the Hunter might be better off just throwing more value onto the board than keeping a narrow, co-dependent 1 drop.

Aylinato

This is like those Preparation-Auctioneer complaints from pre-Naxx. Everyone's just evaluating Hunter's Mark as part of a package (Mark + UTH + Buzzard), without considering how well those cards do on their own, which is the tradeoff for synergy. Given the new tools Naxx gave Hunters, it could use some tweaks to compensate (Hunter's Mark to 1, for example), but the sky isn't falling like you guys think it is!

I have no problems with miracle rogue. It's a hard deck to play and even harder when your opponent plays taunts because you only have so many soft-removals in your deck that you need to save for lethal-turn.

Hunters mark to 1 would be a very good solution

Haunted

The pig in the room, one might say.

There's a reason, however, that people weren't running Stonetusk in VGVN, which is that it's weak most of the time unless paired with Buzzard/Hunter's mark. Even then, the Hunter might be better off just throwing more value onto the board than keeping a narrow, co-dependent 1 drop.
On the other hand, playing it does allow Gnimsh to make the "boar control" joke for the 97th time, so there's that.

We've hit 20 players for the tournament. Signups are still open until Thursday night...punch and pie.

The NeoGAF Hearthstone Superstar Open Challenge Season One (September Edition)
Literally don't have any cards on my NA account. :(

Fixed1979

Same here, why is a CCG (soft-) region locked in the first place.

I really can't think of any good reason, it's pretty shitty.

Also, I still suck a druid. Started the new season and played until rank 15 with him and started getting crushed. Switched back to one of my other decks and proceeded as normal.

Aylinato

I really can't think of any good reason, it's pretty shitty.

Also, I still suck a druid. Started the new season and played until rank 15 with him and started getting crushed. Switched back to one of my other decks and proceeded as normal.

I almost have the cards for a very good control warrior deck. It's exciting.

Let's not even talk about adding the most broken MtG mechanic in recent history to HS.
Didn't know it was that bad, just thought it was interesting. I guess we're better off without then.

However, taking complex ideas like that and making them simple, is one of Hearthstone's strong points.

zoukka

Shaman needs a reverse Zombie Chow to get to that stage consistently. Otherwise it's just the occasional nice screenshot that you can make *cough almost all my screenshots cough*

The problem with shaman deathrattle deck: your fucking totems take up all the space where Thaddiuses and three cairnes should go :/

ShinNL

The problem with shaman deathrattle deck: your fucking totems take up all the space where Thaddiuses and three cairnes should go :/
I had some ridiculously non threatening plays because of that. When you can't even sack your totems because you don't have space for a Flametongue, so you can't play a Sunfury or Belcher. That's why I run the shitty card Ancestral Healing.

Imagine a reverse Zombie Chow (1/1 heal for 5, 2 mana) and Shaman: would make Shaman control so sick. For general healing and amazing death rattle plays.

Deathbite + Acolyte of Pain costs 7 mana and takes at least two turns to trigger (Deathbite only does the whirlwind effect on death) and then you only get one card, maybe two depending on how the Acolyte of Pain is removed. And after that, you're still left with less board presence than Buzzard + Hounds.

I think that Hunter's Mark needs to cost at least as much as Repentance, the Paladin Secret. Repentance costs one mana and reduces the next minion that is played to one health. With Hunter's Mark, you get to use it on the minion of your choice ensuring that you get value from it.

Raxus

I agree with this. I make a big deal out of it but the game is the most balanced it has been in a while thanks to naxx and some strong answers introduced in Naxx like Loatheb and Sludge Belcher.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I agree with this. I make a big deal out of it but the game is the most balanced it has been in a while thanks to naxx and some strong answers introduced in Naxx like Loatheb and Sludge Belcher.

Eh, the game is fun with all the naxx cards and increased potential for deck building. Dunno about balance when 80% of the ladder is still hunter, 10% control warrior, and 10% other. Literally every deck you create HAS to be decent against hunters or it's just completely useless in ladder.

Hunter is the new miracle rogue (aka fotm deck that nearly everyone plays, has very few counters, has tremendous versatility, and demands that every other deck be built with it in mind). Sure, naxx did a great job of curbing miracle rogue without actually touching their cards; however, I sure as hell hope we don't have to wait 2-3 months of hunter for a new card expansion that brings us a new overlord.

frequency

My favourite time was just before release. After the OTK Warrior nerf but before the UTH buff. I feel that was when the meta was most balanced.

When we had decks like Koyuki's Giants Paladin. That was a fun time.

Raxus

If this is the most balanced the game has ever been then the game must have been really fucking shit ages ago.

Decent Reynad interview here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAhci5lXcxg

Heh, were you around when Unleash was 2 mana and Pyroblast was 8 mana?

How about when all the freeze spells were 1 less mana.

Believe it or not they are slowly improving the game but they really have to be snappier communicating with the community about what cards they are looking into.

It is bizarre anyone admitting reliable OTK decks existing is when the game was the most balanced. I forgot about Giant Warrior and 2/2 buzzards and 1/2 Gnome Engineers.

Aylinato

My favourite time was just before release. After the OTK Warrior nerf but before the UTH buff. I feel that was when the meta was most balanced.

When we had decks like Koyuki's Giants Paladin. That was a fun time.

I liked when hunters just got nerfed and zoo was getting wrecked by mages. New zoo is boring and abusive

frequency

It is bizarre anyone admitting reliable OTK decks existing is when the game was the most balanced. I forgot about Giant Warrior and 2/2 buzzards and 1/2 Gnome Engineers.

If that is referring to my post, I said after the OTK Warrior nerf.

Which I think happened after the 8 mana Pyroblast Freeze Mage days.

I liked when Pagle was end of turn. I liked when Tinkmaster was targetable. And at that time there were the weird fun decks like Koyuki's Giants Paladin that I mentioned.

Maybe I am misremembering but I think there was good class diversity then too. It was a fun time with no particularly popular deck that flooded ladder.

I feel it has gone downhill since the 2 mana UTH buff.

If it wasn't referring to my post then ignore me. I'm stupid.

Raxus

The funny thing is the UTH 2 mana fix wasn't even supposed to be a buff, it was a nerf to OTK hunters.

Pagle was nerfed into oblivion (rightfully so) and Tinkmasters nerf was uncalled for.

Fixed1979

If that is referring to my post, I said after the OTK Warrior nerf.

Which I think happened after the 8 mana Pyroblast Freeze Mage days.

I liked when Pagle was end of turn. I liked when Tinkmaster was targetable. And at that time there were the weird fun decks like Koyuki's Giants Paladin that I mentioned.

Maybe I am misremembering but I think there was good class diversity then too. It was a fun time with no particularly popular deck that flooded ladder.

I feel it has gone downhill since the 2 mana UTH buff.

If it wasn't referring to my post then ignore me. I'm stupid.

Pagle was a bit of an odd card, there was no reason not to run him before, everyone had him in every every deck and you were at a disadvantage if you didn't. Since the nerf I've seen him once, probably in the deck of some poor soul who opened a pack and got him as his first legendary. There really wasn't a middle ground for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom