• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

VGVN 3 group stage spoilers:

Kibler
fucking got wrecked by that Handlock. Never a chance in any of the games.

I might have fought and won against Amaz in arena about half an hour ago but I'm not sure because he wasn't streaming and it could just be a fake. He was using the default card back and fireblast sudoku'd himself at the end so I guess I'll just have to check if he is using that card back on his NA account sometime soon.
edit: checked some recent VODs, he's using the Icecrown card back so it wasn't him
Yeah, since there are no restrictions on names you get a ton of people who just name themselves after known streamers/players.

It's the same in Dota 2, with people even going to lengths to exactly replicate the whole stupid sponsor-filled handle (like Na´vi.Funn1k or [A]dmiralBulldog.HyperX)

I guess some people get a kick out of getting asked "are you the real one!?!" :lol

Zemm

Amaz might not even reach the next stage of blizzcon qualifiers :eek: Currently 2-2, one more loss and he's out I believe?

ViviOggi

It's the same in Dota 2, with people even going to lengths to exactly replicate the whole stupid sponsor-filled handle (like Na´vi.Funn1k or [A]dmiralBulldog.HyperX)

I guess some people get a kick out of getting asked "are you the real one!?!" :lol
I used to go by XBOCT ONE for like a month and got flamed for being a "XBOCT wannabe" multiple times.

Same with naversports.Dendi ("lol u cant even write the name right")

Zemm

My experience with thoughtsteal has the majority of the time been "oh baby!". Yeah it's not great vs zoo or hunter rush but then neither is ysera or mind control.

Haunted

My experience with thoughtsteal has the majority of the time been "oh baby!". Yeah it's not great vs zoo or hunter rush but then neither is ysera or mind control.
Well, his point isn't that Ysera and MC are better vs aggressive decks, but that even if thoughtsteal is "oh baby" in a majority of control games, Ysera and Mind Control will be "oh baby" 100% of the time.

Not that I'd be good enough at playing priest to tell either way. I run thoughtsteal and MC, so that's that. :p

Zemm

Well, his point isn't that Ysera and MC are better vs aggressive decks, but that even if thoughtsteal is "oh baby" in a majority of control games, Ysera and Mind Control will be "oh baby" 100% of the time.

Not that I'd be good enough at playing priest to tell either way. I run thoughtsteal and MC, so that's that. :p

well you can run all three, I dunno his deck is a bit of a mix where you can get away without running thoughtsteal, but it's definitely not a terrible card, it's pretty damn good infact. Like you though I run thoughtsteal, MC (sometimes) and Ysera if I'm playing priest, and have used all three vs hunter before. Thoughtsteal is really only terrible vs zoo and face hunter, vs mid-range hunter it can be crazy good.

It's funny how Kibler and Kolento think completely differently on thoughtsteal, kibler thinks it's terrible and kolento said it was one of the best cards in the game. I guess both can be right depending on how they like to play and the decks they build. I'm more in the Kolento camp on this one though.

Haunted

Anything that invites discussion like this is good for the game, though. Nothing worse than a metagame where everyone agrees on the value of every card.

frequency

I don't play Priest but what Kibler is saying makes a lot of sense to me. If nothing else, it's at least a well thought out opinion. If he cussed a little less I'd watch him more often I think.

Speaking of Kibler, I thought this
ibpUcV2valFDbE.PNG

was one of the more ridiculous things I have seen. e-sports should use real names.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Bwahahaha.

X0fEO6N.jpg

I seriously hope I can drop both of them down in one game and confuse the hell out of people.

I don't play Priest but what Kibler is saying makes a lot of sense to me. If nothing else, it's at least a well thought out opinion. If he cussed a little less I'd watch him more often I think.

ibpUcV2valFDbE.PNG

was one of the more ridiculous things I have seen. e-sports should use real names.

How many esport events have you watched? Unless it is some magic the gathering stream, I don't think I've ever seen a tournament use real names if the people have handles.

Lord of the Arena 2 in 2 hours.

I get pretty tired of the other tournaments, but Kripp / reckful commentating? This should be entertaining all around.

Zafir

Amaz might not even reach the next stage of blizzcon qualifiers :eek: Currently 2-2, one more loss and he's out I believe?
He seems to be staying in somehow. Quite a few prominent people are at 5-2 atm. In other news, seems forsen may have got knocked out due to a ddos judging by his latest tweet.

Zemm

You'll find me in my sodium-proof bunker for when reynard inevitably loses his own tournament

☑ “This guy's deck is CRAZY!” ☑ “My deck can't win against a deck like that” ☑ "He NEEDED precisely those two cards to win" ☑ “He topdecked the only card that could beat me” ☑ "He had the perfect cards" ☑ “There was nothing I could do” ☑ “I played that perfectly" ☑ "it's ridiculous"

Leezard

☑ “This guy's deck is CRAZY!” ☑ “My deck can't win against a deck like that” ☑ "He NEEDED precisely those two cards to win" ☑ “He topdecked the only card that could beat me” ☑ "He had the perfect cards" ☑ “There was nothing I could do” ☑ “I played that perfectly" ☑ "it's ridiculous"
I like this version
☑ This guy's pasta is CRAZY!” ☑ “My rigatoni can't win against a linguini like that” ☑ "He NEEDED that alfredo to win" ☑ “He meatballed the only marinara that could beat me” ☑ "He had the perfect fettucini ☑ “There was nothing I could cook” ☑ “I cooked that al dente”

Haunted

ibpUcV2valFDbE.PNG

It's cool if everyone uses their handle, but one single real name and everyone else suddenly looks real silly.

I think organisers would do well to get set on a path where real names are preferred to handles. You can compromise initially - Janne "Savjz" Mikkonen, Andrey "Reynad" Yanyuk etc with a transition into using real names as the primary referral with nicknames/handles as an alternative eventually.

edit: basically, everyone should be more like Mike "Mike Ross" Ross

He meatballed the only marinara that could beat me
made me laugh

frequency

How many esport events have you watched? Unless it is some magic the gathering stream, I don't think I've ever seen a tournament use real names if the people have handles.
Lots. I'm saying people should be using real names instead and that particular tournament where Brian Kibler was using his real name made all the fake ones look even more ridiculous and unprofessional than normal.

It's cool if everyone uses their handle, but one single real name and everyone else suddenly looks real silly.

I think organisers would do well to get set on a path where real names are preferred to handles. You can compromise initially - Janne "Savjz" Mikkonen, Andrey "Reynad" Yanyuk etc with a transition into using real names as the primary referral with nicknames/handles as an alternative eventually.
I've always wanted people to use real names but, yes, when it's all handles it doesn't stand out as much. But all those handles next to Brian Kibler made it look really silly, as you say.

I would like if they did that transition to real names.

e-sports would be much easier to take seriously if you're talking about "Brian Kibler" rather than if you were talking about "Fake"

Acinixys

Lots. I'm saying people should be using real names instead and that particular tournament where Brian Kibler was using his real name made all the fake ones look even more ridiculous and unprofessional than normal.

What?

HS players at least have reasonable names

Dota has people with names like FuckingMad and BigDaddy

frequency

What?

HS players at least have reasonable names

Dota has people with names like FuckingMad and BigDaddy

Other people having worse names doesn't make Hearthstone's desirable to me. I prefer real names. Maybe you are fine to talk about Fake and Firebat and Realz and Trump and TidesOfTime and ThatsAdmirable sitting in a cafe or something but I think most people would rather talk about Brian Kibler.

Zemm

I'm chuckling at all the mainly "arena players" getting beat here. I think Forsen has played about 10 arena games in his life.

Cipherr

I couldn't personally give a shit whether handles make e-sports 'tough to take seriously' for some. And I don't think many others do either. Handles have been a part of online games forever. The industry has its own traditions, it is what it is. Names on a screen.... very few people are even thinking about that. I guarantee you that much.

This reads a bit like the competitive multiplayer version of "games are trying to become like films so the mainstream takes them seriously" debate.

I'm sorry, I didn't type what I was saying right. How many esports have you watched that had real players' names besides a mtg tournament?

They should have done something like letting them draft 3 times, and they chose the best oen.

That isn't usually how draft tournaments go though.

I've always wanted people to use real names but, yes, when it's all handles it doesn't stand out as much. But all those handles next to Brian Kibler made it look really silly, as you say.

I would like if they did that transition to real names.

e-sports would be much easier to take seriously if you're talking about "Brian Kibler" rather than if you were talking about "Fake"

Well Kibler is a hall of famer from MTG. Plus his handle is kiblerbm or something so you are using his handle when you say his name pretty much heh.

frequency

I'm sorry, I didn't type what I was saying right. How many esports have you watched that had real player's names besides a mtg tournament?

None. But I want that to change. I want to know these people by their real names rather than internet handles. It was just in that VGVN tournament when everyone was using handles except for Brian Kibler that made everyone else look way more silly than usual to me.

I understand if it doesn't bother other people as much. Not everyone has to agree with everything I post. Most people probably disagree with most things I post.

Acinixys

None. But I want that to change. I want to know these people by their real names rather than internet handles. It was just in that VGVN tournament when everyone was using handles except for Brian Kibler that made everyone else look way more silly than usual to me.

I understand if it doesn't bother other people as much. Not everyone has to agree with everything I post. Most people probably disagree with most things I post.

I disagree with this post

I'm okay with online handles as well. It kinda does make them stick out more and even more memorable than most names. Like I think chou, chong, and shih are frodan, maassan, and trump respectively... Not everyone has a memorable name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom