• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advice for what decks work best without Naxx cards? I have the free wing obviously, but I left the game a while ago, and never bothered to save up. I have mostly everything that matters from the base set and would like to get back into ladder, but I need decks that can tide me over until I can get enough for the new Naxx cards.

Zoo? newish zoo only uses egg and creeper from week 1

SteveWD40

Any advice for what decks work best without Naxx cards? I have the free wing obviously, but I left the game a while ago, and never bothered to save up. I have mostly everything that matters from the base set and would like to get back into ladder, but I need decks that can tide me over until I can get enough for the new Naxx cards.

Ramp Druid, don't use any Naxx cards in my deck. All about that turn 1/2 yeti.

Tacitus_

T_T

Made it 10-1 in arena and then lost twice to two paladin decks that basically just went for face. Would've stabilized in the final game but he pulled a reckless rocketeer and brewed it back to his hand while I had exactly 5 hp left. Got some 300g out of it so not too bad, but the ending left a sour taste.

Aylinato

So the average hearthstone player is terrible.

Hearthside Chat - You're Better Than You Think!

ANT6SOZ1AZCQ1411061634681.png

top 7.5% awesome!

Actually top 7-6.5%!

I've attempted a climb of constructed once when I didn't have a whole lot else going on. Other than that I don't feel there's much of a reason to do so as the only reward is the accomplishment and until I have a few more cards most of my decks are missing 1 or 2 crucial cards / copies.

So I do the dailies and a few more for 10g if I feel like it. I imagine that is where most HS players fit. I usually reach 10-13 that way though.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
They definitely need to introduce more rewards for ranked. Imagine how much more active ladder would be if you had a reward structure that was like:

rank 20 - card back
rank 17 - free pack
rank 15 - free arena ticket
rank 13 - random golden common
rank 10 - 100 dust
rank 7 - random golden rare
rank 5 - free arena ticket
rank 3 - 200 gold

I pulled these rewards out of my ass. You'd have to balance them against their value and how much you're willing to give away in terms of free stuff. And you'd have to figure out how to handle people who get seeded into a higher rank at the start. I don't think it's too insane to give a 1 free pack and 1 free arena entry at the start of each season to legend players given that its 0.5% of the population.

edit: and inbetween the 'main' reward points you could have minor rewards of 10 gold or 10 dust so that you get a reward for achieving every single rank of ladder in a given season.

Dreavus

Do mill decks actually work? I can't say I've faced one yet.

Seems like a deck type that needs a card or two dedicated to it to function.

My opinion on sludge belcher might be changing. It's ubiquitous on the ladder...

I think its popularity is higher than it should be, meaning it is overrated as good of a card it is.

I think spectral knight and azure drake are equally viable 5 drops and you generally can't fit all of them.

I think once the game slows down I'll bust out my slow aggro rogue deck that runs anubar ambusher. I freaking loved that deck the week or two before hunter became super popular. 5 attack ensures belcher is not an obstacle, plus it doesn't usually hurt me because people are hesitant to send back an si7 agent or azure drake due to the on play benefits so they generally kill my board so I don't get the stuff back.

I think it is a great deck vs control because I can play slow, feed into their card draw, and then slam coldlight oracle and sap-kill targets and then explode with burst combos like loatheb + coldblood.

Only problem is, I have to remember what was in that list... lol. I'll probably make tweaks like removing backstabs since it does appear that the meta is moving away from aggro anyway.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
He's effectively a 4/7 with Taunt that requires two separate attacks/spells to break through for only 5 mana. He's a Shieldmasta and Goldshire Footman in a single card.

Seems a nerf to a 3/4 would be reasonable.

I'd rather see the second minion become a 1/1 so hero powers and cheap aoe removal can clear it.

kirblar

Sludge Belcher is really good at spamming up a board - if they don't have a silence it normally takes 3 attacks to get through him.

Many Naxx cards like Belcher, Loatheb, and Deathlord were meant to really slow down the game, so I don't think it's a problem that they work. Unlike buzzard or Leeroy they aren't centerpiece cards that decks are built around, they're usually played to delay the game til you can use the cards you want to use.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
He's effectively a 4/7 with Taunt that requires two separate attacks/spells to break through for only 5 mana.

I really wish people wouldn't just add stats together. That's really not how the game works and it's a terrible way to think about cards. Like I'm sorry, there's no way you can convince me that haunted creeper is like having a 3/4 on the board. That's dumb.

I think belcher should start a 3/4 or a 2/5 actually. But I am not that concerned. There should be a downside for being double taunt though imho, and I think the stats are just slightly too high.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I really wish people wouldn't just add stats together. That's really not how the game works and it's a terrible way to think about cards. Like I'm sorry, there's no way you can convince me that haunted creeper is like having a 3/4 on the board. That's dumb.

silverhand knight is a 6/6 for 5 mana, defias ringleader a 4/3 for 2 mana, so tired of seeing them in so many decks.

I know this is probably not your point but the reason haunted creeper is so annoying/valuable is because it effectively requires you to attack it 3 times.

ZealousD

silverhand knight is a 6/6 for 5 mana, defias ringleader a 4/3 for 2 mana, so tired of seeing them in so many decks.

Even worse, Nerubian Egg is a 4/6 for 2 mana! It's like innervating out a super yeti!

caesar

Banned

I know it is dumb, cos it's way better than a 3/4 :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Onyxia is 14/14 for 8 mana.

Please nerf, Blizzard.

So I can dust her and craft something useful.

ZealousD

So a warrior used warsong commander with raid leader to do 6 damage with a haunted creeper.

Cute trick.

And then I killed him.

I think belcher should start a 3/4 or a 2/5 actually. But I am not that concerned. There should be a downside for being double taunt though imho, and I think the stats are just slightly too high.
I always thought Deathrattles were a bit higher in value since they can be silenced or removed with transformation. Easiest comparison is Loot Hoarder vs Novice Engineer. Not to mention, there is a bit of control when a player triggers a deathrattle as well.

Acinixys

I always thought Deathrattles were a bit higher in value since they can be silenced or removed with transformation. Easiest comparison is Loot Hoarder vs Novice Engineer. Not to mention, there is a bit of control when a player triggers a deathrattle as well.

Most people dont have 50 silences though

When an opponent plays Sylvanas AND Carnie AND 2 Sludge AND a Rag you kinda run out of removal/silences

NBtoaster

4 health would make it worse than Abomination. 2 attack would mean it cant kill many 2 drops.

Most people dont have 50 silences though

When an opponent plays Sylvanas AND Carnie AND 2 Sludge AND a Rag you kinda run out of removal/silences

Thats when you play your own efficient minions. Even a Loatheb mops up belcher easy.

People evaluate cards slightly different from each other. I think that is fine personally. When I think of stats I think of the total number it brings to the board instantly and what it brings via deathrattle.

Well, clearly from the start feugan and stalagg don't fit precisely cause you need both cards to get the deathrattle. I'm fine ignoring that combo.

But I also look at cards from an minor expected value, which is what you should expect at minimum on average if 1 minion gets a hit in and takes exact damage before dying off with no silence/poly/etc.. So cairne is a 4/10. Highmane is a 6/9. Haunted creeper is a 1/4. Harvest golem is 2/4. Feugan+stalagg would be 11/22 combined under this view. Hard to judge them separately since they don't do anything on their own.

I think both ways are equally valid to look at a card. You just need to be aware of how and why it is being looked at that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom