• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Damn Amaz almost won vs oil rogue with a priest. Amaz had like 20 HP but Orange draw a Blade Flurry winning the game, rogue did like 20+ points of damage in a single turn with a single minion.

mxgt

Banned
I love the game and all, but seeing it in e-sports context is silly. I have no doubt that the people who are at the top of the ranks and perform good are as good as it would imply, and the more time you invest in the game the less RNG is going to affect you.

But, watching these tournaments where players win or lose games based on a single card draw is just stupid.

Just take it for what it is. There's skill and a lot of luck, but that's card games. I still find it very entertaining to watch

No one except druids seem to be running AoE right now... and I'm loving it.

wpBPwSZ.png

Even run into a few other pallies that either don't run consecrate or only 1 or really really bad RNG with card draw.

ViviOggi

Looks like you'll get absolutely rekt if you ever lose control of the board. Between totems, Creepers and Eggs Flametongue is a must for good early trades.

So I'm currently in a match where the other play has a card hovering over the board..but the timer that forces him to end a turn isn't going off.

I'd rather not take a lose but this seems stupid.

edit: apparently it's a disconnection bug.. concede here we go.

Majine

Banned
So I'm currently in a match where the other play has a card hovering over the board..but the timer that forces him to end a turn isn't going off.

I'd rather not take a lose but this seems stupid.

Some connection error. Your best bet is prolly to restart the client.

tylerf

Doing an arena run for the first time in a millenium and I've realized that I have no clue what the Paladin secrets even are since you never see them in constructed.

iirate

Yup. It's mostly Avenge or GET DOWN, sometimes redemption(so ignore their dickheaded minibot).

I have had a few sessions where I would google paladin secrets to double check everything, lol.

Avenge and Redemption in my pallysecrets.dec! =)

I basically just play Avenge+Scientist for tempo, but the Redemption bluff plays really well into my finisher. Most of my games end because my opponent doesn't want to or can't clear my board, and then they eat Blessing of Kings+Blessed Champion. It's like druid combo but less expected and on a class that is good at holding the board.

I need to replace the Healbot(Tiger or Shade maybe?), but I'm not what'll be in its place yet.

It's probably not quite as good as normal midrange pally, but this looked like a fun pally variation since I don't have Quartermasters. I don't have Tirion either, but this deck wins often and wins big, so it's a lot of fun to pilot.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Redemption used to be a legit card in the classic control Paladin deck that ran both Sunwalkers and Sludge Belcher. Comboing those with Kelthuzad could create some unwinnable situations for some decks, like zoo.

Do you get that much value off of the argent squires? Back when I ran a redemption deck I used Harvest Golems, as I wouldn't be mad if a phase 1 harvest golem got revived.

I'm also not sure why you're running Blessed Champion when you could be running a second Sludge Belcher.

iirate

Redemption used to be a legit card in the classic control Paladin deck that ran both Sunwalkers and Sludge Belcher. Comboing those with Kelthuzad could create some unwinnable situations for some decks, like zoo.

Yeah, I actually cut back to one Belcher and cut out the other sticky deathrattle guys because I was running into problems occasionally with stuff like Slimes and Damaged Golems flooding my board post-Kel. Redemption + Sunwalker the turn before Kel is so strong against a lot of decks.

Do you get that much value off of the argent squires? Back when I ran a redemption deck I used Harvest Golems, as I wouldn't be mad if a phase 1 harvest golem got revived.

I'm also not sure why you're running Blessed Champion when you could be running a second Sludge Belcher.

I've always been partial to the Squires and I don't want to run double Chow in a deck like this, but I may cut them or cut back. I like them more than I did Harvest Golem since I'm normally often fighting aggressively for the board early. Chow is awkward because it makes it harder to play Redemption.

Blessed Champion serves a completely different role than Belcher #2. It's a combo card w/Avenge or Kings to finish games. Works really well, since no one is expecting that much burst from pally.

ZealousD

Ah, well I highly recommend you get Tirion. He is scary good with Kelthuzad or Redemption. Even if they silence Tirion, than Redemption or Kelthuzad is a great way to recover that power back.

iirate

Ah, well I highly recommend you get Tirion. He is scary good with Kelthuzad or Redemption. Even if they silence Tirion, than Redemption or Kelthuzad is a great way to recover that power back.

I know - I'm either crafting him or Harrison next. Harrison is obviously useful in more lists, but this and my non-demon midrange lock are the two decks I play most, and neither needs Harrison like this deck needs Tirion. I'm sitting on 1200 dust, so it won't be long.

ZealousD

I know - I'm either crafting him or Harrison next. Harrison is obviously useful in more lists, but this and my non-demon midrange lock are the two decks I play most, and neither needs Harrison like this deck needs Tirion. I'm sitting on 1200 dust, so it won't be long.

Harrison might be used in more decks, but Harrison is never an essential component to those decks. Tirion is used in basically every single Paladin deck ever made because he is just that good. If he was a neutral legendary he'd be as ubiquitous as Dr. Boom, as he is one of the best legendaries in the game, without a doubt.

iirate

Harrison might be used in more decks, but Harrison is never an essential component to those decks. Tirion is used in basically every single Paladin deck ever made because he is just that good. If he was a neutral legendary he'd be as ubiquitous as Dr. Boom, as he is one of the best legendaries in the game, without a doubt.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I'm in a weird place where I really need to start crafting the class legendaries I don't have from classic, since I mostly play arena and don't open those packs anymore. I have Al'Akir, Grom, VanCleef, and Krush(lol), but I really need to craft Tirion, Jaraxxus(esp since I have Mal'Ganis), Cenarius, and Archmage(probably in that order) at some point. A Boom nerf would certainly help with my dust concerns.

What is Harrison being replaced with in these Paladin decks popping up? I am in the same boat. Tempted to try Paladin with crafting Tirion but i am lacking Harrison to complete most builds.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is it Trumps #1 Legendary that makes y'all wanna play paladin? :p

Its the Emotes. "Justice demands Retribution"

Also, my go to strategy for emotes is if a Priest copies my card, I must threaten them. I also must mock any really bad Mad Bomber RNG (Especially if I played it)

iirate

Is it Trumps #1 Legendary that makes y'all wanna play paladin? :p

I really, really like midrange. It's probably my arena pedigree showing, but the heart of Hearthstone for me is fighting for boards with dudes. So I mostly play paladin, slower zoo variants, druid, and occasionally mage or hunter. If I'm not feeling midrange I'll be playing whatever tempo-oriented rogue list seems meta appropriate or fun.

Also, I'm a StrifeCro fangirl all the way(I did happen to be watching Trump when he hit rank 1 today though!).

Type2

Almost got all of my classes to 10 and built of basic decks for each of them using my collection. I caved in and bought 30 packs because I am impatient. I've tried it arena and have only one the first game in both my runs. I feel like the second priest deck I drafted was incredible but rng decided to give me nothing late game.
Pretty burnt out losing in casual play because of ridiculous legendary drops or mech tech but I am learning to use each loss and the occasionally win for constructive purposes. I don't find myself over trading or making unfavorable trades very often. So far hunter, lock and Mage are my favorite. I think I'll really like shaman once I make it to 10 and rogue is an interesting playstyle. I don't understand Druid very well or at least feel like it doesn't work with my current cards... I just got swipe thank goodness.

Would anyone like to add me on battle net for some friendly games? Critique will be welcome. I've gotten some adds after games with people letting me know I'm playing well. Losing while I level my classes in casual is just heartbreaking and I need a break from that next time I play.

Levi

Banned
Went from rank 16 to 10 today running a combo druid with Harrison and Kezan, both of which won me many games. A highlight was I Harrisoned a Shaman and got 6 cards, and was able to burst for over 30 because I drew into force/savage/innervate/savage. Kezan cripples that new tempo Mage that's infesting the ladder and makes Mech Mage winnable (MM was either a loss on turn 5 after Mech warper/coin empty their hand of free mechs on turn 2, or a late game win after they run out of steam).

This is my third season, my first I made it to 15, last season I made it to 11 and tilted badly, so hitting 10 today felt really good.

If I can keep up my 80% win rate I'll hit legend, but I really doubt I can keep up this pace. Honestly I'll be happy if I can make it to single digits.

LjUTatn.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I basically just play Avenge+Scientist for tempo, but the Redemption bluff plays really well into my finisher. Most of my games end because my opponent doesn't want to or can't clear my board, and then they eat Blessing of Kings+Blessed Champion. It's like druid combo but less expected and on a class that is good at holding the board.

I need to replace the Healbot(Tiger or Shade maybe?), but I'm not what'll be in its place yet.

It's probably not quite as good as normal midrange pally, but this looked like a fun pally variation since I don't have Quartermasters. I don't have Tirion either, but this deck wins often and wins big, so it's a lot of fun to pilot.

Neat. I might actually try something like this since I also don't have Quartermasters, though I do have a Tirion. Never really thought about some of the synergy stuff like Redemption could have with KT.

This is more sub rank 10 but I actually had a weirdly successful run with a jokey gimmick deathrattle paladin deck I made. Tossed in harvest golems, eggs, divine shields, baron rivendare, belchers, stalagg + feugen and tirion, faceless...there were some hilarious board states though it was really draw dependant. And I also hit the same issue where I would sometimes fuck up my own board with too many slimes or damaged golems, though that was more baron than anything else.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Past rank 5 they are now the dominant class and the other decks I have been using just are not working. So might as well join them...

You could play oil rogue which counters it hard.

Personally i'm not seeing many paladins at rank 8, and am currently copying Trump's deck from 2 days ago. Didn't realize he reached rank 1 legend with it. Unfortunate he started a trend, because that means my time is limited with it.

What is Harrison being replaced with in these Paladin decks popping up? I am in the same boat. Tempted to try Paladin with crafting Tirion but i am lacking Harrison to complete most builds.

I've been using Kel'Thuzad over Harrison, trying to not be too greedy with how much value to get out of him, figuring it'll take the hard removal that would be used on Tirion, or visa-versa. Only card I do differently right now. It only really makes me slightly weaker to hunter and paladin, since rogue is an insta loss anyhow.

Loatheb would work, or you can try Dr Balance, which is only out of the deck because of BGH. Even if it gets BGH'd it's still not a terrible value trade, but it is nice to make them keep holding a completely worthless card in their hand all game long by running no BGH target at all.

I've been fooling around with this recently. Pretty fun.

Not sure what i can do to help out the early game more. Could cut the far sights, but they can just be a blowout sometimes.

Playing this deck mainly in casual, but more often than not my opponents are face.

ZealousD

Not sure what i can do to help out the early game more. Could cut the far sights, but they can just be a blowout sometimes.

I absolutely would cut the far sights. You might be overextending into the late game with two sky golems and the harrison. I would cut one sky golem and harrison. I know you want mechs for powermace but you don't want to be too top-heavy either.

With those four cards cut, I would add 2 nerubian eggs, another rockbiter, and another chow.

Vitality totem might also be a bit weak. I think healbot is just better.

Mulgrok

I am finally starting to make some headway now that I have some mediocre cards in my Hunter deck. My last win was with me at under 3 hp against a face hunter and pulling a miracle 27 damage on him the next turn. Sometimes RNGsus favors me.

EDIT: It was part of a win streak in ranked that took me to rank 16 or 17, forget which.

Type2

Jumped into ranked with a cheap hunter deck and made it to 20. Kept drawing dead cards against the priest deck which had a ton of legendaries and eventually suffered my first ranked loss. Much better experience than casual though! I feel as though I can stand toe to toe with people for now or easily mow them down.

I'm trying out some cards that give me spare parts but I'm not quite sure I understand the appeal. Is it that they are cost effective and get you a random slightly useful thing?

Mulgrok

Jumped into ranked with a cheap hunter deck and made it to 20. Kept drawing dead cards against the priest deck which had a ton of legendaries and eventually suffered my first ranked loss. Much better experience than casual though! I feel as though I can stand toe to toe with people for now or easily mow them down.

I'm trying out some cards that give me spare parts but I'm not quite sure I understand the appeal. Is it that they are cost effective and get you a random slightly useful thing?

Spare parts are just a small bonus for using a card you would anyway, but I doubt anyone would go out of their way to make a deck for them.

Type2

Spare parts are just a small bonus for using a card you would anyway, but I doubt anyone would go out of their way to make a deck for them.
I see. The one I was using is a 2/1 for 1 (I don't have great card knowledge just yet) but I picked him simply for slot efficiency. Getting a taunt or freeze spare part can make for some fun plays.

Kettch

A druid just went turn 1 coin-wild growth-innervate-wild growth against me. First time I've seen that. Even had a keeper to follow it up with, but I think he could have gotten a lot more out of the innervate. Ended up running him over with shaman board control.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
A druid just went turn 1 coin-wild growth-innervate-wild growth against me. First time I've seen that. Even had a keeper to follow it up with, but I think he could have gotten a lot more out of the innervate. Ended up running him over with shaman board control.

Yeah, I think there's such a thing as druid getting too many mana giving cards early as well as not getting enough. I doubt innervating like that was the right move, but he was probably behind with that hand either way.

Brofist

Just had an intense game against a Paladin. Pally has a full board and Tirion, I have 2 5/5 minions and 2 Savage Roars for lethal but taunt is blocking me. The Master Swordsman that popped from the Pally's Piloted Shredder buffs Tirion into BGH range. I BGH it and double savage roar for win. So unlucky on his side, 6 minions and Tirion gets buffed.

Dragner

Yesterday I was that guy who was holy wrathed from 20 to 0 by a molten giant having lethal on board. FU rngstone.

"Well met"

First game played in three days. Golden face Hunter in casual.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Edit: 5/6 games against Hunter, but yeah there's nothing wrong with the meta right?

Just had a Paladin top deck equality against me as I dropped Malygos on the board against a 1-1.

So I thought fuck it and unloaded two lava bursts and two crackles next turn anyway for the exact 22 damage I needed and won.

Hearthstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom